PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Pun's Capital Punishment

claaa7
04-28-2009, 02:40 AM
"Capital Punishment" is a GREAT album, but could have been even better than it is.. For one it has 24 tracks, cut down the skits and you have 18; then delete "Still Not A Player" to begin with because that was just a remix of "I'm Not A Player" (which is a great song, the rmx is so awful it ain't even funny).

AND PUN/THE EXECUTIVE'S ACTUALLY DELETED THESE TRACKS OFF "CAPITAL PUNISHMENT" IN PLACE OF 'STILL NOT A PLAYER'. TELL ME WHICH ARE HOTTER:

Evx948iD7UU
he got Kool G Rap (his fuckin' idol), Fat Joe & B-Real on there + beat by Showbiz. if you listen to Pun's verse where he speaks on how he's sorry for all the physical and mental abuse of his wife, that's some real shit that also makes the song "Punish Me" more in it's place on the LP.

3QEth87nzoo
FIRE! This shit is obviously a freestyle but i love how the beat flips into the scarface music.. Now this would be a good interlude, plus it would give the album more Terror Squad (same w/ Wishful)

EkRL7Wruf1I
This is hot but i prefer the remix that's on the album, but I'd rather have this as a bonus track instead of "Still Not A Player" spaced out over the album.

WITH THAT BEING SAID: "Capital Punishment" is still an INCREDIBLE album, with only 1 weak song and lots of pointless skits (excluding the one with Dead Prez). I understand they included "Still Not A Player" though cuz it made him go platinum and he really deserved it. But i think it's so fucking weird they didn't include "Wishful Thinking" at least (as good as the best songs on C.P.)... Just my 2 cents, peace. RIP Big Pun.

claaa7
04-28-2009, 02:44 AM
PROOF #1 THAT THESE SONGS ACTUALLY WAS MADE FOR THE LP (http://www.discogs.com/Big-Punisher-Capital-Punishment-Album-Sampler/release/229006)

PROOF #2 (http://www.discogs.com/Big-Punisher-Im-Not-A-Player/release/560560)

claaa7
04-28-2009, 03:08 AM
BONUS

tMyXjueWZYE
This is actually Pun's first apperance on wax in 1995 (yes before "Off The Books") and is produced by Diamond D. From Fat Joe's super-dope "Jealous One's Envy" LP and the joint also features Terror Squadian's Armageddon & Keith Nut. DAMN!

Q5C9gb2Uis8
Again this was recorded in the same sessions I believe since it's a B-side to "Envy" from Crack's "J.O.E.". Produced by Showbiz and features Chef Raekwon (!!) and Armageddon. DAMN!

TSA
04-28-2009, 03:10 AM
Capital punishment is crazy, i skip a lot of track though, but it doesn't take away from the fact that the ones i like i repeat an average of 3 times each before going to the next

claaa7
04-28-2009, 03:13 AM
^^ besides the skits, Still Not A Player and Fast Money I love the shit out of that album... but without those and insert above tracks it would be a 10/10 joint instead of a 9/10.

main_man
04-28-2009, 04:07 AM
big pun is one of the greatest of all time. never gets the props i feel he deserves.

"wishful thinking" "toe 2 toe" & "firewater" should have all been on that album. that would have undeniably made it one of the best debut albums in hip hop history. not that it isn't already, but damn....

Shogah
04-28-2009, 05:00 AM
Great album, only too long. Caribbean Connection is only son that i skip regular, and Still Not A Player.

I started banging You Came Up really often these days. One of the songs that i just discovered how banging they are,

The way i kept it real is more important than any record deal

Blessin' my seeds and watchin' over us
Til I die I'll align the souls of mine And shine for all of us

=

DOPENESS

Rame
04-28-2009, 05:43 AM
I agree with the threadstarter, nothing to add really.

cap
04-28-2009, 06:07 AM
'still not a player' isnt that bad, take the fucking backpack off for a fucking minute... let the guy make a few bucks.

crds
04-28-2009, 07:08 AM
Good album, not a classic though, I need to start listening to it again.

Durag
04-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah its a great album, i dont think its a classic though, for all the reasons Claaa7 said, and i dont think ive ever sat down and listened to the whole thing together.

TAURO
04-28-2009, 10:28 AM
I can't honestly believe what im reading here.

Senator C. Palantine
04-28-2009, 10:29 AM
^^

Doesn't like The Wire.

Ignore.

TAURO
04-28-2009, 10:32 AM
^^

Doesn't like The Wire.

Ignore.

I thought I was dead to you.

THE MASON
04-28-2009, 12:21 PM
great album, i dont think replacing one track woulld have made much of a difference or the skits either.

Most of the skits make me laugh, like the Pakinamac skits

and alot of those track are on Endangered Species, which is just as dope as having them on Capital Punishment

claaa7
04-28-2009, 12:40 PM
'still not a player' isnt that bad, take the fucking backpack off for a fucking minute... let the guy make a few bucks.

get the fuck outta here with that backpack shit, i like alot of commercial shit out there but this just was't one of them.. so what??

how is it disrespectful to say that you think a guy you consider to be one of the greatest rappers alive has made ONE wack song. cuz he's dead??
in my first post I mentioned that i thought it was a good move cuz it made him sell 2 million albums in the US alone so of course it was a good thing for him and his family but for the sake of quality music of my personal taste, no i'm not feeling it the least.

Koolish
04-28-2009, 01:20 PM
"for the sake of quality music"

that says it all right there.