PDA

View Full Version : Hate for the homeless dates back to when you were in grade school. build wit me

Big Risk
05-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Okay, I want to discuss something that I was thinkin about the other day.

As a child I remember growing up as a little kid and a popular insult(actually if not the MOST popular insult) to use in kindergarden through elementry school was "you were adopted!". Major problem I see with this now because I know being a orphan sucks and not knowing who your family really is sucks. And as an adult now, I don't hate on homeless cats or junkies. I might crack a laugh if they are actin crazy but I'd say I'm pretty understanding torwards them. I might even throw em a dollar. but alot more people I think (maybe I'm wrong) aren't as understanding. Maybe this is because as a child the hate and ignorance is already planted? And how?

Discuss

THUGNIFICENT
05-09-2009, 11:32 PM
i think you're right on with this. people are taught that there's something undeniably wrong with junkies or the homeless, although those people are just thrust into crazy situations and nine outta ten times it isn't their fault at all.

it's because people are, all in all, too apathetic these days. everything is about me me me, and nobody does shit for anybody else. so-called activists go preach against sweat shops with reeboks on, and people don't recycle or anything because they think the environment won't be destroyed in their lifetime. they see genocides in Darfur and think how it's awful, complain to their wives and husbands about how shitty the world is, and then eat dinner. the same thing happens with junkies and homeless people, and the average American gets disconnected from them and just see them as somebody who has 'failed,' rather than another human being.

so they don't think it's bad to make fun of them, long story short. at least, that's what i think.

diggy
05-09-2009, 11:38 PM
I think most people are just a few dollars away from homelessness themselves.

ALCATRAZ
05-10-2009, 12:03 AM
im scared

Koolish
05-11-2009, 08:06 PM
a good chunk of the homeless used to carry 6 figures in their bank accounts.

threyev is right though, the quest for finding the self has become so important in the modern age, that people stop caring about others as much as they should. you just need a good example, most people stay sheep.

LORD NOSE
05-11-2009, 08:10 PM
why feel for the homeless and not the one with the $500,000 car

Wu-Tang Forum Internet Poster
05-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Nothing is every anybody's fault.

I think it is important to try and "help the homeless".

But how can you say that "9 times out of 10 it is not their fault" ?

Or that "a good chunk of the homeless used to carry 6 figures in their bank accounts."

Man is still essentially responsible for himself.

Now, that doesn't mean we shouldn't help the unable or disadvantaged, but it isn't like every single homeless person is a complete victim of circumstance.

EAGLE EYE
05-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Some of them are ok, others are just obnoxious. A homeless dude maybe a few years older than me was trying to hit me up for money the other day.

Next time I'm gonna draw a map to labor ready on his hand. I've been there and done that when I went completely broke a few years back.

TSA
05-12-2009, 02:08 AM
ppl want to believe they're better then someone cause the person doesn't live in well fashioned wood like they do.

its a natural human instinct to notice a difference between yourself and another person then have the follow up question be

"does this make me better or worst then this person" even when you dont realize your asking yourself that question.

its the root of a lot of things, racism is one good example, hate for duh homeless is another.

ppl are always like "its their fault, they're lazy, or addicted to ____"
and use it as justification to deny that they feel bad for the person

which is true, its their fault, but if someone is in the army and get their legs blown off, and they need help reaching something on a high cabinet you wouldn't say "its their fault they joined the army and stepped on the land mine"

cause it really is that person's fault they can't reach something on a high cabinet.
but so?
who are you to judge?
wasn't it the jews fault for pissing off hitler?
wasn't it the indians fault for trusting white people?
wasn't it malcolm x's fault for pissing off the NOI who would kill him in front of his kids?

you can sit here and say its everyone fault for everything, but i think hate for the homeless is ppl trying to keep themselves from feeling bad for them.

the same type of mentality that makes you not wanna make eye contact when there's a hobo 2 inches from your car with a sign.

either way i dont give the niggas shit. im broke too. fuck it.

diggy
05-12-2009, 02:19 AM
Humans are weird.

THUGNIFICENT
05-12-2009, 01:47 PM
^^cosign.