PDA

View Full Version : Are there any part 2 movies better than part 1's?

The Hound
06-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Are there any clear cut part 2 movies that are genuinely better than the first?

I never considered Godfather 2 better than The Godfather, but a lot of people do, but it would be 50/50 on opinion so that doesn't really count.

I always thought The Empire Strikes Back was the best Star Wars flick, but I guess that is still part 5 even though it was released second. Could it still be counted?

I can't think of any.

Tage
06-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Clerks II
Terminator 2: Judgement Day

The Hound
06-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Terminator 2, yes, definately.

Ghost In The 'Lac
06-01-2009, 10:52 AM
I always thought The Empire Strikes Back was the best Star Wars flick, but I guess that is still part 5 even though it was released second. Could it still be counted?

http://fortunegrey.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/nerd.jpg

Art Vandelay
06-01-2009, 11:55 AM
godfather 2 is probably the only one that people would consider.

airplane 2 is pretty fucking funny

Main Street
06-01-2009, 01:04 PM
i know yall gonna say i'm wrong but i thought Friday After Next was better than the 1st two

i know Friday is a classic but i laughed more and harder watchin the 3rd

also Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
06-01-2009, 01:30 PM
The dark knight

empire strikes back

attack of the clones (i didn't like the phantom meance but it was a nice lil back story)

predator 2

aliens

wu-tang forever (lol)

rambo ii

dbz (lol)

beautifulrock
06-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Spiderman 2

oDoUoSoKo
06-01-2009, 02:01 PM
godfather 2 is probably the only one that people would consider.

co sign

Sky Blue Bally Kid
06-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Blade II
X-Men II
Transformers 2 (prediction, and yes I know it's technically the 3rd film)

oDoUoSoKo
06-01-2009, 02:32 PM
empire strikes back

word, good call...one of my fav. flix

p-rok73
06-01-2009, 05:10 PM
For me:
The Empire Strikes Back
The Godfather 2
Revenge of the Nerds 2.

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-01-2009, 06:27 PM
blade ii
dark knight
batman returns
ghost in the shell 2
x-men 2
spider-man 2
godfather 2
star trek ii: the wrath of khan
empire strikes back
attack of the clones
t2:judgment day

oDoUoSoKo
06-01-2009, 06:51 PM
i like the phantom menace more than attack of the clones, but big ups on Batman Returns and T2

Drunken Monk
06-01-2009, 07:09 PM
godfatha no doubt

SMH
06-01-2009, 08:19 PM
the dark knight >> batman begins

Killa-B-Killed
06-01-2009, 09:13 PM
the dark knight >> batman begins

Def.^
Transformers ROTF.....bet.
Matrix 2.

Wu-Tang Forever.......biggest understatement EVER!!!!

beautifulrock
06-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Matrix 2.

No. Stop it.

battle?
06-01-2009, 10:43 PM
beneath the planet of the apes,,.,

RADIOACTIVE MAN
06-03-2009, 10:48 AM
yup ..the dark knight kicked batman begins in the ass

beautifulrock
06-03-2009, 02:26 PM
i know yall gonna say i'm wrong but i thought Friday After Next was better than the 1st two

i know Friday is a classic but i laughed more and harder watchin the 3rd

also Ace Ventura: When Nature CallsNO and NO

attack of the clones (i didn't like the phantom meance but it was a nice lil back story)

My god, you can't be serious, a really stale love story mashed together with about 4 good scenes in the end. gimme a fucking break, everybody knows that's the worst one, everybody.

predator 2

Are you fucking crazy?

aliens

Two words: Paul Reiser,

get the fuck outta here, Alien was a classic, Aliens is a James Cameron steaming dump.

rambo ii - First of all, there's no such movie. Second, no.

If you truly believe what you are saying here, you have close to the worst taste in movies I've ever seen.

Blade II hahahahahahahahah, no
X-Men II ..........NO

dark knight
batman returns......cmon, you can't be fucking serious. Jack Nicholson versus Danny Devito in a fat suit, for all intents and purposes he doesn't need.
ghost in the shell 2
x-men 2
spider-man 2
godfather 2
star trek ii: the wrath of khan....actually a good one
empire strikes back
attack of the clones
t2:judgment day[/quote]

some of these are really laughable.

Sky Blue Bally Kid
06-04-2009, 09:48 AM
^^^Stephen Dorff aside Blade II is superior in every way. Story, effects, characters, you name it.

X-Men 1 needed a bigger budget, made it look kinda corny in parts which is why it doesn't stand up next to the 2nd.

:(W

The Hound
06-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls?
Matrix Reloaded?
Friday After Next? (that was the third film so I don't know why that mentioned.)

These aren't serious suggestions, are they?

The dark knight

empire strikes back

predator 2

aliens

wu-tang forever (lol)

rambo ii

dbz (lol)

I have to pull you up here.

Firstly, is Dark Knight really a number 2? Alright, it is the second Nolan film but the Batman series is like James Bond, shit just keeps going on and on. If you want to get technical then Batman 1989 is the second of the Batman films.

Predator 2? No fucking way. Arnie vs Danny Glover?? Gary fucking Hambone Busey? Nah, sorry, Predator is so far ahead of Predator 2 it isn't funny.

First Blood part 2? Fuck no. First Blood is one of the greatest movies that was RUINED by having a part 2,3 and 4. The way they destroyed the John Rambo character into some bullshit homicidal maniac completely fucked up the legacy of the first film.

Alien is also far superior to the rest of the franchise but Aliens was still pretty good, just not next level like Alien

Also, you can't name Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones when they're part of the same series.

BGS
06-04-2009, 10:54 AM
hot shots 2 lol y'all remember?

beautifulrock
06-04-2009, 01:24 PM
^^^Stephen Dorff aside Blade II is superior in every way. Story, effects, characters, you name it.

X-Men 1 needed a bigger budget, made it look kinda corny in parts which is why it doesn't stand up next to the 2nd.

:(WOh well, the fact that you used an emoticon put me in my place. Just one question, do you know what a plot is? Didn't think so.

You know, rather than get into a philosophical argument with you, I'll let a consensus do all the work for me.

IMdb

Blade 6.9
Blade II 6.6

X-Men 7.4
X-2 7.9

Oh look at that, you were right about the X-men sequel after all. good job. Not that I can remember having seen that more than once anyway.

Sky Blue Bally Kid
06-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Yes I do know what a plot is thanks. And the emoticon was to show I'm not taking this too seriously which is something you clearly are doing.

And do you know what it means to backup your responses with something resembling a valid point? Didn't think so.

That's kinda how discussions work...

:beer:

Sky Blue Bally Kid
06-04-2009, 01:45 PM
And thanks for the IMDB stats you added to your response afterwards but when there's about a 3 or 4 year gap between each film the number of votes each one has doesn't really count for much.

beautifulrock
06-04-2009, 01:50 PM
And thanks for the IMDB stats you added to your response afterwards but when there's about a 3 or 4 year gap between each film the number of votes each one has doesn't really count for much.I'm not going to argue about this with you. it's not worth it. You are comparing sequels to ok movies. Comic book movies. Whatever. As far as your little 3 year gap thing, we are talking about tens of thousands of votes and those movies are several years old. By your response i can tell you don't have a clue what the IMdb score even means. It doesn't matter at all. I'm a stat major. I know. Good talk. Now neg rep me if it makes you feel better.

MAYOR QUIMBY
06-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Airplane Part 2? and Revenge Of The Nerds Part 2?

No way on earth are they better than the originals. Maybe Scary Movie Part 2 is better than the 1st. And i would also agree with the person who said Hot Shots Part Deux.

Sky Blue Bally Kid
06-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I'm not going to argue about this with you. it's not worth it. You are comparing sequels to ok movies. Comic book movies. Whatever. As far as your little 3 year gap thing, we are talking about tens of thousands of votes and those movies are several years old. By your response i can tell you don't have a clue what the IMdb score even means. It doesn't matter at all. I'm a stat major. I know. Good talk. Now neg rep me if it makes you feel better.

I can see near meaningless stats that appear on web pages really mean a lot to you. One day if I can work out such complexities as plots and mean values of data maybe I could be a 'stat major'?

I'm done with this anyway. It's all opinion and personal taste at the end of the day and I've given mine.

beautifulrock
06-04-2009, 05:51 PM
I can see near meaningless stats that appear on web pages really mean a lot to you. One day if I can work out such complexities as plots and mean values of data maybe I could be a 'stat major'?

I'm done with this anyway. It's all opinion and personal taste at the end of the day and I've given mine.So let me get this straight, you are saying the IMdb score is a meaningless stat?

DrunkenMasta303
06-04-2009, 07:26 PM
before beautifulrock watches a movie he goes to IMDB to see if hes supposed to like or hate that movie, lol what a sheep ass flag in the wind!

Tecknowledgist
06-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Ace Ventura 2 (by a long shot?! one of the funniest movies i've ever seen)
Evil Dead 2

100pr00f
06-04-2009, 08:19 PM
ong bak 2................................................. .................................................. ................................................

oDoUoSoKo
06-04-2009, 08:53 PM
before beautifulrock watches a movie he goes to IMDB to see if hes supposed to like or hate that movie, lol what a sheep ass flag in the wind!
eloels.

beautifulrock
06-04-2009, 11:26 PM
My Lord and Savior
(http://www.imdb.com/)

beautifulrock
06-04-2009, 11:28 PM
The Bible
(http://www.imdb.com/chart/top)

DrunkenMasta303
06-05-2009, 12:47 AM
IMO

for a few dollars more

desperado > el mariachi

jurassic park 2 (yeah)

ninja turtles 2

bill & ted 2

ghostbusters 2

drunken master 2

a better tomorrow 2 (not sure tho, im kinda 50/50 with this)

dead or alive 2 (takashi miike)

and i agree with: Terminator, Hot Shots and also Aliens

oDoUoSoKo
06-05-2009, 12:52 AM
IMO

for a few dollars more-agree

desperado > el mariachi-disagree (theyre equal to me)

jurassic park 2 (yeah)

ninja turtles 2

bill & ted 2-agree

ghostbusters 2

drunken master 2

a better tomorrow 2 (not sure tho, im kinda 50/50 with this)

dead or alive 2 (takashi miike)

and i agree with: Terminator, Hot Shots and also Aliens
:yes:

Senator C. Palantine
06-05-2009, 05:08 AM
Terminator 2.

Godfather 2.

Ice Cream pt2 (lyrics were so visual that its like watching a movie)

Krusha
06-05-2009, 05:44 AM
I Think 28 weeks later is little bit better than 28 days later.....

Krusha
06-05-2009, 05:45 AM
and of course terminator 2.....

PALEHORSE
06-05-2009, 10:52 AM
bad boys 2

Chris
06-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I liked the concept of Battle Royale II more than Battle Royale, and the underlying themes it had. That would be a close one for me, but I don't really know, Battle Royale had me crazy when I first saw it

Dark Knight is arguably one of the best films of the 00's.

I imagine How High 2 will be up there eventually :)

I agree with the dude above me, I liked 28 Weeks better than 28 Days.

DrunkenMasta303
06-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Battle Royale 1 was SERIOUS! part 2 had more of that trashy comic feel to it IMO. plus the first one has takeshi Kitano so that automatically makes it better than part 2 lol

Longbongcilvaringz
06-06-2009, 04:59 PM
I can never understand why people like the second Godfather more than the original. De Niro i guess?

Terminator 2 - yes.

Home Alone: Lost In New York

The original was really good, but the second built on everything that was good about the first film, and added not one but two settings where pranks could be pulled (hotel room + abandoned apartment).

The physical comedy is even funnier than the original, and Caulken's acting improved significantly.

I liked Kill Bill 2 at least as much as the original, but i don't feel as though you can really say it is a sequel considering it is pretty much a long movie split into two parts.

Unfortunately all sequels are generally just movie making excursions, meaning the movie is always going to be inferior to the original.

However, if the original movie is really shit, then it is likely the sequel will be better.

Which is why nobody can name good sequels, because the first movie was so shitty they didn't bother with the next.

A good thread might be Original Vs Remakes.

I can think of a few remakes which i prefer over the originals.

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-06-2009, 06:41 PM
IMO

for a few dollars more

you win for this one

what's the second battle royale about? didn't know there was a sequel

godfather 2 is better for me because it has a more epic scope due to it having scenes in different time period, it truly expands on the foundation of the first movie, which is what a good sequel should do;deepen your understanding of the characters and world and advance the story into more interesting directions

pat name some remakes that are better than originals

i have one

peter jackson's king kong lol (an easy and obvious one i know lol)

Olive Oil Goombah
06-06-2009, 07:03 PM
the person who said Ghostbusters 2 should be shot and dragged thru a NYC street and dropped from the Gozar building.

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-06-2009, 07:39 PM
^^^lmfao

ghostbusters 2 tarnishes the original ghostbusters with it's lameness

tajeco
06-06-2009, 08:06 PM
beneath the planet of the apes,,.,

I like the whole series of 5. Check the rest if you haven't seen them.

Olive Oil Goombah
06-06-2009, 08:19 PM
^^^lmfao

ghostbusters 2 tarnishes the original ghostbusters with it's lameness

Ghostbusters is one of my all time favorite movies.

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-06-2009, 08:35 PM
^^^i like ghostbusters, but the ghostbusters 2 is a textbook bad sequel, a retread that attempts to replicate what made the original work, mixed with some lame new stuff

NIGHT MAYOR
06-06-2009, 08:37 PM
The dark knight

empire strikes back

predator 2!???????????

aliens

wu-tang forever (lol)

rambo ii

dbz (lol)

you cant be for real.

-

Back to the future 2
Childs play 2
Conan the destroyer
Gremlins 2
Harold & kumar escape from guantanamo bay
Jackass 2
National lampoon's european vacation
Rambo
Empire strikes back

there are heaps.

The Hound
06-07-2009, 02:33 AM
Rambo is part 4

Razorsharp
06-07-2009, 04:41 AM
yes on x-men 2, blade 2 and spiderman 2

ummmm austin power 2?

The Hound
06-07-2009, 07:45 AM
No way.

theDZA
06-07-2009, 08:59 AM
some sequels that are better:
Godfather pt 2
The Dark Knight
LOTR - The return of the king
Spiderman 2
Star Wars episode 3 is better than 1 + 2
The incredible hulk - easily better than the first

remakes that are better:
The hills have eyes
King Kong
the Punisher

The Hound
06-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Geez, some people really struggle to differentiate between part 2 and 3,4 or 5.

theDZA
06-07-2009, 09:34 AM
Geez, some people really struggle to differentiate between part 2 and 3,4 or 5.

my bad... thought it woz sequels not part 2's lol