PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XIV Online

Paranoid
06-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Just announced

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bPlzGEYCi4s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bPlzGEYCi4s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

E3 2009: Second massively multiplayer installment in Square Enix role-playing franchise set for simultaneous worldwide launch in four languages.

LOS ANGELES--Earlier today at Sony's E3 media briefing, the console giant dropped the bomb that Final Fantasy XIV would arrive next year as a "PlayStation 3 console exclusive." Square Enix followed up on that today by confirming that the massively multiplayer online role-playing game would also be appearing on the PC.

A still from the announcement trailer shown during Sony's conference.

Both versions of the game are set for a simultaneous worldwide release sometime in 2010. Additionally, the game will support four different languages at launch: Japanese, English, German, and French. Beyond that, the only detail imparted by the publisher was that the game would take place in the realm of Eorzea.

Final Fantasy XIV will be the second installment in the long-running role-playing game to take on the MMORPG genre. The first such game, Final Fantasy XI, debuted on the PC in 2003 and found its way to the PlayStation 2 the next year. An Xbox 360 edition followed in 2006. In a unique twist, the game allowed players from all three platforms to play together in the same gameworld.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/finalfantasy14/index.html?tag=result;title;1

DRUNKENDRAGON
06-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Is that a galkan?

Protect ya Neck!
06-03-2009, 04:13 AM
I LOVED FFXI, spent 5 years on it. I was Clocian on quetz server. Can probably still look up my last purchases on FFAH.com still lol

Paranoid
06-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Is that a galkan?

It looks like a Galka but it doesn't have a tail

I did however definitely see a Mithra in that trailer

Paranoid
06-03-2009, 03:44 PM
[11:54] Komoto would like to clarify some confusion regarding the exclusivity.

[11:56] Through a translator, he says that some folks interpreted that it was an exclusive, the announcement would be coming to the PS3 and PC.

[11:56] "We are considering all options at this time, including Microsoft hardware."

[11:56] The QA session is about to get started. Mics are being passed around.

[11:57] A question is being asked about old races, "What are the ties to FFXI?"

(Left to Right:) Hashimoto, Tanaka, and Komoto

[11:58] Tanaka says, "These are different races, a different world than FFXI, the name of the world is Eorzea."

[11:58] The reason we made them similar in FFXI was so that the players who have been playing XI and liked the character can choose a similar type of race, he says.

[11:59] An example of why we did this, he says, is like we have one actor in many movies--in one movie he's an assassin robot, in another it's a spy, but it's the same guy. We want you to think of it the same way.

[11:59] The next question, "What happens to FFXI now?"

[12:00] Tanaka says that the development for FFXIV started appearing 4 to 5 years ago.

[12:01] "We started going into full gear the past few years, this has been going along at the same time at FFXI."

[12:01] "We still plan on continuing developing for FFXI," he says.

[12:01] "We have a year planned for FFXI still in the works."

[12:01] He confirms that there are no plans in the near future to stop development.

Hashimoto, Tanaka, and Komoto on stage, flanked by an MC (left) and translators (right).

[12:02] Next question, "What kind of influences from other MMOGs like World of Warcraft have there been on FFXIV?"

[12:02] Komoto responds, "As with WOW, they're aimed at the casual user, we're aiming for more casual users. However, we don't want to make a copy of WOW, we want to be unique."

[12:03] "Is the action going to be action or turn based?" asks a new questioner.

[12:03] "We can't answer that yet" is the succinct response.

[12:03] Next question: "FFXI has evolved a lot over the years, with the ability to play solo like WOW. Will you be carrying over the ability of being able to play solo?"

[12:04] "Yes, all of the knowledge and experience we got, we plan on using in the development of FFXIV."

[12:04] "FFXI was originally designed based on party battles. With FFXIV, we'd like to have content for solo players, as well as extremely large battles for players to play together."

[12:05] Next question: "Are there plans for worldwide launch of the game, simultaneous worldwide release?"

[12:06] Tanaka says, "Yes, we will launch worldwide, in all regions, in the same four languages as we already announced."

[12:07] Tanaka also confirms that the servers will be worldwide, and there will also be cross-platform servers.

[12:08] Next question: "Will Square respond to players' feedback like they did in FFXI to make their lives in the game easier?"

[12:09] Komoto: "We believe that the users voice is very important, we want to keep getting advice, we are currently still getting advice from FFXI users, we hope to get their feed back from FFXIV."

[12:11] "We hope to have users play XI and then another day play XIV, communities will be independent, but if they want to communicate they can," Square Enix noted.

[12:11] Question: "Are there any plans to translate the game into Spanish?"

[12:12] "Currently we don't have a Spanish development, but if there are enough users that want it, we'll certainly consider it."

[12:12] "To get good translators in Japan, it's very difficult, but if users want it, then we'll definitely consider it."

[12:12] Another questioner queries: "Are there any special elements in the MMO genre that you will improve with this game?"

[12:13] Komoto says, "Our plan from the beginning was to make the best Final Fantasy game available with FFXIV, that was our vision."

[12:13] "We thought, 'How can we make the best FF game?' We decided on the MMO genre."

[12:14] However, we are trying to implement a lot of new systems that other MMOs have not used in the past," he continued. "So in that sense, it may be revolutionary."

[12:14] Next questioner, please. "When did you decide to make this installment an MMO rather than a traditional RPG? It's unusual to have another MMO as FFXIV."

[12:18] Tanaka says, "We've been asked that question by a lot of people, it comes down to, originally FFXI was designed for the PS2, and it moved to Windows and then the 360. A lot of people have asked about making a port of that to the current machine. But unfortunately with an MMO of this size, you have to be maintaining and developing new content."

[12:18] "Was yesterday's trailer the same quality that we'll actually see in the game?" is the next question.

[12:20] Komoto says, "Yes, there were parts that were pre-rendered, but parts were running on the in-game engine."

[12:20] "Is that then the actual quality that you are aiming for?" the questioner asks as a follow-up.

[12:21] "Are the fights many vs many rrather than 1 v 1, and will there be changes in the battle system?"

[12:21] "Good question, but I don't know how much I can answer. But we will have battles against many versus one or many vs many."

Unfortunately we've yet to see any more footage of FFXIV, the Square Enix logo sits motionless on the projection screen.

[12:22] And the next question is..."What's different from FFXI and what would they like to do in this game?"

[12:23] "We will have the same type of story-telling and expand on in-game systems. The player will be able to grow and develop in a natural way. It shouldn't put a lot of weight on the player itself, and through this, we'll develop the job system into something quite different."

[12:24] Tanaka follows up with: "FFXI has gotten better, for FFXIV we want to make it so that if you want to play in a party, you can, if you want to play solo you can, or if you want to play all day, you can. We will have game systems and content there for all types of people."

[12:24] "Have you given any thoughts to your beta testing? Will you let FFXI users in to the program?"

[12:25] Tanaka says, "As with the actual release, we don't have a concrete beta schedule yet. All we can say is that we will have a beta, when we do have a schedule we swill give that to you."

[12:25] "Is there any possibility of porting FFXI characters to FFXIV?"

[12:27] Tanaka says, "The game is completely different, there won't be any way to take your character from XI and take it to XIV."

[12:27] He continues, "Since the character design is very similar, you can create a new character that will be like what you played in FFXI."

[12:28] "Also, FFXIV will not be using the PlayOnline system, however the friends list will be transferred over the FFXIV system."

[12:28] Last question, "If I'm new to the MMO genre I have many options to choose from. Why would I choose FFXIV over these games?"

[12:28] Komoto says, "We believe that players will fall in love with the world we've created and the story we have to offer. That's probably our biggest thing."

[12:29] And that's it!

[12:30] Check back throughout the day for GameSpot's continuing coverage of the 2009 Electronic Entertainment Expo.

BRONZBODY
06-03-2009, 05:58 PM
ill pic this up

i just hope i dont run into a super uber god bunny like i did in ff11

Dokuro
06-03-2009, 06:51 PM
wow i was guna start playing 11 again but maby ill wait for this i mean as long as i can use a mithra and the exepinal agilty teamed up with the dragoon im strait

its kinda a drag thogh i was realy hope for Ivalice

i realy wanted to try

dragoon, Revgaji

white monk, Garif

nightshade/Palidin, Urutan

inharitor/C-knight, Moogle

oh well

Paranoid
06-03-2009, 08:33 PM
they say the races will be similar

but the job system will be different

Tage
06-03-2009, 09:27 PM
wow... this is a ps3 exclusive? intense!

coming out same year as XIII :r

Mr. X
06-04-2009, 02:05 AM
It's for PC and PS3. I forgot where I read that.

Paranoid
06-04-2009, 03:59 AM
It's for PC and PS3. I forgot where I read that.

It will be on 360

Guaranteed

They already said they're "Considering microsoft hardware"

If they didn't put it on 360 all they'd be doing is limiting their sales

They put FFXI on 360

They're putting FFXIII on 360

Square Enix already sold out to Microsoft

It will happen with this game, just wait

Mr. X
06-04-2009, 02:02 PM
FF13 is on the 360 in the NA. It's not in JPN and I don't remember anything about it going 360 in EU.

Paranoid
06-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Who gives a shit about Europe?

Paranoid
06-04-2009, 03:15 PM
[11:56] "We are considering all options at this time, including Microsoft hardware."

There is no point in me buying a PS3 yet

It'd be better to wait close til launch and if it still hasn't been announced for 360(Which it definitely will) then I'll get a PS3

But that won't be necessary

Just you wait and see

You PS3 heads can feel special with your temporary exclusivity, but mark my words it won't last long

Paranoid
06-04-2009, 03:18 PM
http://www.aiesec.org/cms/aiesec/AI/Western%20Europe%20and%20North%20America/PORTUGAL/AIESEC%20LISBOA%20ISCTE/Image_Gallery/Logo_Microsoft.jpg

Will always establish dominance

Paranoid
06-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Oh and great news!

This game will be free to play, no monthly fees!

Yesterday, Sony dropped a mega-deuce when the company revealed the first trailer of Final Fantasy XIV. This news shocked everyone as there was no clue or rumor of the game before yesterday. Since Final Fantasy XIV will be a MMO, many have started to question if there will be a subscription fee. However, according to sources the game will use a free-to-play model.

The announcement of Final Fantasy XIV hit the audience like a ton of bricks as this might have been the best kept E3 secret. The audience was shocked again when Sonyís Jack Tretton announced that Final Fantasy XIV will be PS3 exclusive on consoles.

Despite being a MMO, according to Square Enix, Final Fantasy XIV will play like a regular Final Fantasy game. During the Square Enix press conference, a designer for the game indicated that the game was first crafted with it being a single player experience in mind but expanded into a MMO. Unlike traditional MMOs, gamers will be able to have a full satisfying experience playing the game solo or with a party. There will also be a huge focus on story and character development.

I talked a little about the subscription model for the game yesterday, but today I received word from a source that a Square Enix rep at the booth have indicated that Final Fantasy Fantasy XIV will use a Free-to-Play (F2P) model, which has been gaining popularity recently. There are no details yet, but apparently Sony and Square Enix is currently in discussion regarding the subscription model.

Currently, Sony has revealed that SOE will utilize a similar Free-to-Play model for new MMOs in development for the PS3. I suspect that this is the model Sony has pitched to Square Enix. Since the PS3 is fully capable of acting like server, Sony has been throwing up PS3s onto racks to act as dedicated servers for other games, so this arrangement with Square Enix sounds plausible.

Also, according to my source, Final Fantasy XIV will require at least 5GB of mandatory harddrive space, which to be frank sounds a bit too small for a next gen MMO (Iím thinking more like 10GB). During the press conference Square Enix also confirmed that there will indeed be a beta for the game, which is fantastic news. Gamers can expect a worldwide simultaneous release of Final Fantasy XIV in 2010 for the PS3 and PC.

Paranoid
06-04-2009, 03:36 PM
More news on the game from IGN

Growth is not based on experience.

Job system will be very different from FFXI

Q. How important are the weapons?

A. Weapons are very important and have a heavy influence on your character and how they succeed in the game world. Square Enix says to look closely at the official FFXIV logo for hints and hidden meanings about how the game will work.

Q. Anything else about the weapons?

A. The team let slip to us that choosing weapons for specific tasks one day versus another could affect how your character develops.

Q. Are Chocobos back?

A. Yes, they will return. But Square Enix has told IGN that it is looking at using them in a completely different way than they were used in Final Fantasy XI (where they were used as riding steeds).

Q. When is it coming out and when is the beta?

A. The game will come out in 2010, and after Final Fantasy XIII which is scheduled for spring of the same year. Beta plans are still being finalized, but that the plan is to have a longer beta period than that of FFXI (which had a beta of about 3-4 months).

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/991/991483p1.html

Mr. X
06-04-2009, 06:09 PM
"Free-to-Play"

I suddenly became interested.