PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Kaufman

Longbongcilvaringz
06-06-2009, 04:38 PM
I don't really see any Charlie Kaufman movies discussed here and i always enjoy his films.

Even Human Nature and Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind.

Recently i saw Synecdoche New York and i think it is my favourite of his films.

Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Being John Malkovich are excellent, and i'd recommend them to people who haven't seen them.

One thing that annoys me is the way in which people debate whether they 'understand' his films and the like.

Sure, his films are at times confusing, but i don't think there is a right way to understand them.

Similar to David Lynch films in that respect.

Some people don't seem to be able to watch a film without gleaning some greater meaning or purpose from it.

I feel as though Kaufman's films do contain a great deal of social commentary and philosophical contemplation, and they share themes.

But i don't think any of them can be unlocked to 'mean' something in terms of understanding the missing pieces.

Anyway, if anyone has thoughts on his films, drop them.

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-06-2009, 05:30 PM
i love being john malkovich, adaptation, and eternal sunshine of the spotless minds

there are some confusing or ambiguous bits but they're still fairly linear and easy to understand imo much more so than david lynch...but then again kaufman didn't direct those films either, who knows what he sees when he's writing the scripts and if the directors are fully conveying that.