PDA

View Full Version : Portishead-Third

noel411
06-16-2009, 11:41 PM
First of all, did the album reviews sub-forum get removed?

This is a reviews thread.

This is the best album I have heard in a very long time, in any genre. When I say "a very long time" I mean at least a good few years. Every single track on this album is excellent (I'd be very hard pressed to come up with the last album I could say that about. Probably have to go back at least a decade), and the album maintains a gripping intensity from the very start to the very end.

I think this is by far Gibbons' best and most consistent vocal performance yet, maintaining a consistent soft, haunting vocal throughout the whole album, in stark contrast to the scattered and uneven vocal experimentation of the last album.

Hardcore "trip hop" fans were no doubt disappointed with this album, as it is not really "trip hop" at all. But if you look at this album for what it is, it would be hard to deny its consistency or its gripping qualities.

I give this album a 9.5/10, but would push it up to a 10/10 if I still feel the same way about it in a year or 2.

oDoUoSoKo
06-16-2009, 11:49 PM
i guess they got rid of the album review forum without telling me...smh.

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-17-2009, 08:40 AM
This is a very good album, they experimented with their style a little bit like the 'white horses' track which is beautiful and ethereal and the 'we carry on' which is more uptempo and aggressive than alot of their stuff, as well as machine gun which takes the minimalism of their previous album to its logical conclusion.

Quality album, it fits in quite nicely with the rest of their small discography. I wish they were more prolific, but hopefully it's not over a decade before they release another studio album.

noel411
06-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah I'm hoping they'll keep working together and come out with another album.

It seems I forgot to mention how much I appreciate the lyricism on this album. Really great stuff. I can relate to a lot of the themes about personal struggle.

I'd like to laugh at what you said
but I just can't find a smile
I wonder why I can't
I struggle with myself
hoping I might change a little
hoping that I might be someone I wanna be

:thumbup:

oDoUoSoKo
12-26-2009, 09:44 PM
btw..i kno im late but i finally gave this album a proper listen....fantastic. idk what else i can say, its very well crafted.

Longbongcilvaringz
12-27-2009, 01:12 AM
Yeah, much better than its predecessor.

abanks47
12-27-2009, 04:15 AM
i hated it the first time listening to it, but got warmed up to it the second time through. Still don't think it touches there first two. not even close

Dr. Simon Hurt
12-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Yeah, much better than its predecessor.

what's wrong with 'portishead'? it's great off the strength of 'half day closing' and 'only you' alone, but it's a nice album all around imo.

djskillz
12-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I love this album but it's always been my least favorite of the 3. That being said it's still amazing. Portishead are better than 90% of the industry imo.

Longbongcilvaringz
12-27-2009, 11:39 PM
what's wrong with 'portishead'? it's great off the strength of 'half day closing' and 'only you' alone, but it's a nice album all around imo.

The vocal killed it for me.

Not sure what she was trying to do, but so many tracks are ruined by the shrill vocals.

DRUNKENDRAGON
01-04-2010, 10:28 AM
The vocal killed it for me.

Not sure what she was trying to do, but so many tracks are ruined by the shrill vocals.

I agree, a fine example is "Elysium". Such an amazing production yet I cannot stand her delivery on that track.

As for the 3 album, I hated it upon first listen but it has since grew on me exponentially.

Dr. Simon Hurt
01-04-2010, 01:18 PM
hmm...i loved her shrill-insane witch vocals on that album

any word on a new portishead album? has anyone heard beth's solo album?

noel411
04-05-2010, 10:19 PM
I was just looking for one of my old threads in here and stumbled upon this. I never saw all these replies. Although I haven't heard this album much in recent months I still maintain that it is brilliant and their best album. I actually didn't hear it for a long time and then a song from it came on during an Ipod shuffle, and I decided to listen to the full thing and see if it still had a strong impact on me. It did. It's an exceptionally strong album. Pretty much every track is a "standout". I'd still be pretty comfortable with my 9.5/10 rating.

Dr. Simon Hurt
04-05-2010, 10:27 PM
have any of you heard their new track? well not really new anymore, it was a charity single for amnesty international IIRC hopefully there's a new album on the way

W5hpnLIswbQ

GINCHY. KEEN. NEATO.

I rather like it.

Dr. Simon Hurt
04-05-2010, 10:32 PM
I was just looking for one of my old threads in here and stumbled upon this. I never saw all these replies. Although I haven't heard this album much in recent months I still maintain that it is brilliant and their best album. I actually didn't hear it for a long time and then a song from it came on during an Ipod shuffle, and I decided to listen to the full thing and see if it still had a strong impact on me. It did. It's an exceptionally strong album. Pretty much every track is a "standout". I'd still be pretty comfortable with my 9.5/10 rating.

this track is beautiful

kBOaLjtR4mw