PDA

View Full Version : The Brain

Visionz
06-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Amazing little command center you got there sitting atop your shoulders.

Discuss. I'll be posting articles at a later time to make sure this thread stays informative but I can't at the moment as I've got to get some sleep. (something that's key to your brains health btw and an area which I'm normally lacking)

Visionz
06-22-2009, 07:04 AM
Is Intelligence Fixed?

According to an article published by Carol Dweck in the journal Educational Leadership, the type of praise students get is very much a factor in how they view their intelligence. And, how students view their intelligence is very much connected to their academic performance over time.

Students who were continually praised for being smart thought that intelligence was a fixed trait that they couldn’t do anything to affect and which would manifest itself (or not) regardless of the effort put into a particular endeavor. Students who were praised for their efforts, on the other hand, associated their success with the amount of work they put in and, thus, concluded that their level of intelligence was malleable and dependent on their continued development and willingness to learn.

Students who believed that they were as smart as they were born to be inclined towards activities that would confirm or show-off their intelligence and avoided those activities which required effort while students who believed in the power of work to increase ability were much more likely to take on challenges and persist through them. The first group was also more likely to hide or lie about mistakes and deficiencies than the second group, which was inclined to correct them. Research in psychology and neuroscience supports this second group of students with evidence suggesting that the brain is much more plastic than ever thought before.

IrOnMaN
06-22-2009, 12:17 PM
I wonder what could be accomplished if people started using 100% of their brains?

We'd probably be Gods in human form.}:|

AcidPhosphate69
06-22-2009, 12:22 PM
We'd fall out and die, god.

But seriously, the brain is fucking amazing. The shit it does while you're doing nothing is incredible. This isn't a subject I'm too familiar with but very interested in.

I would like to know more about what happens to your brain when you take different hallucinogens. And not in the like, scary "oh my god" this is bad sense. Just in an informative sense.

Visionz
06-22-2009, 12:53 PM
We'd fall out and die, god.

But seriously, the brain is fucking amazing. The shit it does while you're doing nothing is incredible. This isn't a subject I'm too familiar with but very interested in.

I would like to know more about what happens to your brain when you take different hallucinogens. And not in the like, scary "oh my god" this is bad sense. Just in an informative sense.
ahaha, I've wondered the same thing but could you imagine gettin a CAT scan while you're tripping acid? :lmao: Probably hard for people to find willing test subjects.

Visionz
06-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Physical Exercise and the Mind

Everyone knows that breaking a sweat on a regular basis is good for the heart and waistline, but exercise also has advantages to offer the brain.

Periodically getting a good workout has been shown to improve reaction time, information processing, memory, and attention, as well as helps relieve the symptoms of depression.

Exactly how exercising results in these benefits is (like much of neuroscience) still to be determined, but it is likely that there are multiple factors at work.

This is some of what may be at play:
Brain Growth
Until relatively recently, it was thought impossible to produce new neurons as an adult. We now know this to be false. Not only is the brain capable of creating new neurons (a process called neurogenesis), but there is also significant evidence indicating that regular exercise stimulates this regeneration.

More Juice
Neurotransmitters are the chemical messengers of your brain and, unfortunately, the number we produce tends to decline with age. Fortunately, activities such as running, biking, swimming and soccer seem to be able to increase their production (especially that of norepinephrine, serotonin and dopamine). This can have positive effects on both thinking and mood.

Another type of beneficial brain “juice” which appears to be stimulated by getting a sweat on are neutrophic factors. These proteins are responsible for helping neurons survive, adapt and grow—all important functions for learning and memory.

Better Flow
Efficient blood circulation is vital to cellular waste removal as well the delivery of nutrients, glucose (fuel) and oxygen. In addition to increasing overall blood flow, exercise has been linked to the production of new blood vessels in the brain.

Uncle Steezo
06-22-2009, 01:57 PM
we use most of our brains but aren't in control of 100%.
imagine being able to control the automatic functions of the body like temp, immune systems, physical growth, or even personality.

then it get really dope when you realize that if you can control the atoms inside your body then you should be able to control the atoms you touch or that surround your body. i mean, the atom is 90% space, and dont physically touch eachother anyway. so why cant you manipulate the air around you or even alter the flow of electrons in a device? we will electrical flow every second of our lives. what prevents us from extenting our sphere of influence?

Visionz
06-22-2009, 02:24 PM
we use most of our brains but aren't in control of 100%.
imagine being able to control the automatic functions of the body like temp, immune systems, physical growth, or even personality.

then it get really dope when you realize that if you can control the atoms inside your body then you should be able to control the atoms you touch or that surround your body. i mean, the atom is 90% space, and dont physically touch eachother anyway. so why cant you manipulate the air around you or even alter the flow of electrons in a device? we will electrical flow every second of our lives. what prevents us from extenting our sphere of influence?
We do have the electric field that surrounds us and I'm pretty sure that its varies from person to person (most likely depending on the vitality of the individual). You can touch someone without touching them by manipulating that field so I can see the possibilities there.

At the same time the stack of consciencenousses (sp?) that is the human body is desirable in terms of functionality. Could you imagine if you had to think about breathing all the time? It makes me wonder if that's why breath control is so important in meditation. It's a conscience take over of a part of ourselves that's normally on autopilot.

ALLAHNDRZUWUNIGA
06-22-2009, 09:17 PM
ahaha, I've wondered the same thing but could you imagine gettin a CAT scan while you're tripping acid? :lmao: Probably hard for people to find willing test subjects.

Electric Koolaid Acid Test, by Tom Wolfe, documents the case of an individual who was studied in the 60's by scientits while under the influence of lsd. The man was Ken Kesey, and he was able to determine the amount of time that had passed when a doctor inquired into his perseption of time which was beyond mesure perhaps, simply by calculating the frequency of his heart beat which he knew to be at a certain rate because he overheard a nurce tell a doctor the vital stat. That is some impesive reasoning.

But the whole book isnt about this experement. This is just a part of it.

Visionz
06-23-2009, 06:43 AM
Electric Koolaid Acid Test, by Tom Wolfe, documents the case of an individual who was studied in the 60's by scientits while under the influence of lsd. The man was Ken Kesey, and he was able to determine the amount of time that had passed when a doctor inquired into his perseption of time which was beyond mesure perhaps, simply by calculating the frequency of his heart beat which he knew to be at a certain rate because he overheard a nurce tell a doctor the vital stat. That is some impesive reasoning.

But the whole book isnt about this experement. This is just a part of it.
I haven't checked it out but the tools with which to monitor brain activity have changed a lot since the 60's. I agree with AP that it'd be very interesting to take a look at the brain's actual activity during an acid trip with today's tools. See what sections are firing off (and maybe the whole thing is lighting up) etc. As far as I know, those test in the 60's are amongst the last times that it was looked at seriously from the scientific community. I think it could be a very useful tool if people only understood it better.

ALCATRAZ
06-23-2009, 11:41 AM
visions unseen do you fuck with hallucinogens

Visionz
06-23-2009, 04:21 PM
visions unseen do you fuck with hallucinogens
I used too. I was crazy with it in from like 95 to 99 but when you come off an acid trip and you're all of a sudden stuttering for the first time in your life you know its time to quit :lmao:

I can't lie though the ride was real fuckin fun while it lasted.

on a side note, the stuttering didn't last but it did take about two years for my brain to completely rewire itself.

Chris
06-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Interesting thread. I look forward to reading more.

Ghost In The 'Lac
06-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Yes the brain is very interesting from a biological view. But the real question is where does the consciousness lie? The brain i believe is merely a vessel that can tune the frequency of a fairly complex "mind" or conscience. Things like ethonogens open up the mind to mroe frequencies, if the user is looking right.

Visionz
06-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Yes the brain is very interesting from a biological view. But the real question is where does the consciousness lie? The brain i believe is merely a vessel that can tune the frequency of a fairly complex "mind" or conscience. Things like ethonogens open up the mind to mroe frequencies, if the user is looking right.
acid is probably the fast food version of what a monk obtains through years of meditation, the mind can achieve great things without needing any external factors

check this video out
R-wuOYlxMSY

Ghost In The 'Lac
06-23-2009, 05:23 PM
acid is probably the fast food version of what a monk obtains through years of meditation, the mind can achieve great things without needing any external factors

Yess its a shortcut, but your lacking any real control. And since your shortcutting, your exposing your brain to things its had no knowledge of before, and it overloads, you werent ready, so you trip the fuck out. Your not able to properly control what is happening, so in effect everything that you witnessed was totally pointless. You may of seen the knowledge, but you cant retain or use any of it.

I think ethnogens are just blurring the usual atomical borders we are used to seeing everyday in the way our brain has evolved so that we function best (and therefore survive) in the enviroment is has created. Ethonogens are attempting to connect and unravel the entire universe in front of your eyes, but they never quite get there. Its a window though.

Everything we see, touch, hear and smell is created inside the brain, not out. There is no "real world". We have no real connection with anything becaue everything is just electrical pulses transmitted from receptors on our body connected to the brain, by neurons. When we "see" something, our eyes are not actually seeing it, they are jsut relaying an electrical signal containing infomation, which the brain then computes, and shapes, and displays the image to us. We have no possible way of knowing whether what our brain is telling us we are seeing, is actually what our eyes are really seeing.

Visionz
06-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Yess its a shortcut, but your lacking any real control. And since your shortcutting, your exposing your brain to things its had no knowledge of before, and it overloads, you werent ready, so you trip the fuck out. Your not able to properly control what is happening, so in effect everything that you witnessed was totally pointless. You may of seen the knowledge, but you cant retain or use any of it.

I think ethnogens are just blurring the usual atomical borders we are used to seeing everyday in the way our brain has evolved so that we function best (and therefore survive) in the enviroment is has created. Ethonogens are attempting to connect and unravel the entire universe in front of your eyes, but they never quite get there. Its a window though.

Everything we see, touch, hear and smell is created inside the brain, not out. There is no "real world". We have no real connection with anything becaue everything is just electrical pulses transmitted from receptors on our body connected to the brain, by neurons. When we "see" something, our eyes are not actually seeing it, they are jsut relaying an electrical signal containing infomation, which the brain then computes, and shapes, and displays the image to us. We have no possible way of knowing whether what our brain is telling us we are seeing, is actually what our eyes are really seeing.

a couple of things, you can take away some kind of insight from acid trips. I agree most of it is going to be fuzzy and in large part lost but to call it a worthless experience is an overstatement.

another thing is that there is indeed the physical reality of the world we're placed in. It exist without perception or observation. If you don't trust your eyes then reach out and touch it. A fire is going to burn you regardless of whether or not you believe it to be there.

Sean
06-23-2009, 06:20 PM
another thing is that there is indeed the physical reality of the world we're placed in. It exist without perception or observation. If you don't trust your eyes then reach out and touch it. A fire is going to burn you regardless of whether or not you believe it to be there.

True but the effect the burn has is only your perception of being burnt. We can only experience this from our own perspective, and like Ghostlaced said there's no way of telling how it really is or how someone else might percieve it.

I remember once my teacher was talking about something similar, to do with colours. She was saying that and that everyone may have an entirely different view of how colours look - so for example what looks "red" to someone could look "blue" to someone else. I know that might not be too well described and it might not be the best example, but I was just reminded of it as it was the first time I ever really considered the idea of people's perceptions and the nature of our minds (I was like 14 at the time)

Interesting thread though, there should be more like this in KTL rather than conspiracy theory nonsense and 5%er "knowledge"

Koolish
06-23-2009, 06:45 PM
all we see is only relative to light, so there's countless invisible things we don't see, and things maybe other creatures can.

Ghost In The 'Lac
06-23-2009, 06:48 PM

It doesnt matter what sense you use. Every possible experience we have is created inside the brain - scientific fact. Nothing is experienced without it. And all these senses the brain controls have been evolved, over a long period, and distorted in co-ordinance with Evolution/Natural selection i.e whats best for our survival as a species. So this is what we talk about when it comes to "virtual reality". You could say everything is "virtual" because the world is ONLY present inside the brain. Nothing else in our bodies experiances the world, as the entire thing (how we see it) has only been possible with the brain. Even our own physical bodies.

So how do we know anything is real? We cant be sure, ever. For all we know our brain is alone in a box, make believing everything. Maybe even the brain itself is virtual. It most probably is. If you removed a brain from a human, and had it alll its nerves and connectors hooked it up to a machine capable of mimicking the human body, there would be no difference. At this point it gets too deep. But the basic point is the entire world is factually inescapabley within us, something which is overlooked in everyday life.

The most logical outcome is that even the brain does not exist, as this is also something created only inside the "brain" (the brain at this point is just consciousness, a mysterious energy floating in the ether)

Visionz
06-23-2009, 07:00 PM
True but the effect the burn has is only your perception of being burnt. We can only experience this from our own perspective, and like Ghostlaced said there's no way of telling how it really is or how someone else might percieve it.

I remember once my teacher was talking about something similar, to do with colours. She was saying that and that everyone may have an entirely different view of how colours look - so for example what looks "red" to someone could look "blue" to someone else. I know that might not be too well described and it might not be the best example, but I was just reminded of it as it was the first time I ever really considered the idea of people's perceptions and the nature of our minds (I was like 14 at the time)

Interesting thread though, there should be more like this in KTL rather than conspiracy theory nonsense and 5%er "knowledge"I'm color blind so I definitely understand how personal perception can conflict with world at large but even with color there is a general consensus of how certain light waves are perceived. There frequency and what not remain constant, it is the perception that changes. My own brain doesn't align with the majority of the population in that sense.

Which is to say that perception plays a huge part in the interpretation of the world that we live in but outside of that perception is the physical world that it was it is regardless of perception.

all we see is only relative to light, so there's countless invisible things we don't see, and things maybe other creatures can.
Indeed there are light waves outside of what humans can perceive. Hence ultra-violet and infra-red. A great example of how perception alone does not define reality.

Visionz
06-23-2009, 07:08 PM
It doesnt matter what sense you use. Every possible experience we have is created inside the brain - scientific fact. Nothing is experienced without it. And all these senses the brain controls have been evolved, over a long period, and distorted in co-ordinance with Evolution/Natural selection i.e whats best for our survival as a species. So this is what we talk about when it comes to "virtual reality". You could say everything is "virtual" because the world is ONLY present inside the brain. Nothing else in our bodies experiances the world, as the entire thing (how we see it) has only been possible with the brain. Even our own physical bodies.

So how do we know anything is real? We cant be sure, ever. For all we know our brain is alone in a box, make believing everything. Maybe even the brain itself is virtual. It most probably is. If you removed a brain from a human, and had it alll its nerves and connectors hooked it up to a machine capable of mimicking the human body, there would be no difference. At this point it gets too deep. But the basic point is the entire world is factually inescapabley within us, something which is overlooked in everyday life.

The most logical outcome is that even the brain does not exist, as this is also something created only inside the "brain" (the brain at this point is just consciousness, a mysterious energy floating in the ether)
How would you explain a common experience? I understand that without the brain nothing is experienced but computers wouldn't be of much use without there motherboard either. Which is to say our experiences here on earth have to understood by something or life would be pretty much pointless. The fact that I can give you directions to a spot for beer (for instance) and that we can drive there, tip glasses and shakes hands means that the physical reality is real external from ourselves. If perception alone was the only reality that matter the physical world would bend to our will alone. (or atleast it seems like it would)

LORD NOSE
06-23-2009, 07:16 PM
over my head ?

AcidPhosphate69
06-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Visions...what's your take on the pineal gland?

Quick rundown for those who don't know...it's a gland in your brain that's dormant until you either die or experience a near death kind of thing. WHen that happens, it DUMPS the chemical DMT into your brain. Now, DMT can also be obtained and used recreationally.

The odd this is, most people share a common theme to their DMT trip. It usually goes like this; and entity (could be anything) will come to you and you will percieve this entity as "god" and it will tell you things about life and things of that nature.

Either way, what do you think about that shit? I've never done DMT but I would love to try it. I'm a huge fan of responsible hallucinogenic use. I mean, it's cool for a good time but I think the possibilities to see things in a completely altered perspective is amazing.

Ghost In The 'Lac
06-23-2009, 07:24 PM
How would you explain a common experience? I understand that without the brain nothing is experienced but computers wouldn't be of much use without there motherboard either. Which is to say our experiences here on earth have to understood by something or life would be pretty much pointless. The fact that I can give you directions to a spot for beer (for instance) and that we can drive there, tip glasses and shakes hands means that the physical reality is real external from ourselves. If perception alone was the only reality that matter the physical world would bend to our will alone. (or atleast it seems like it would)

We all have the same brains as humans (roughly). As a species we have all evolved together as an organism, with the same brain design. Most of the 6billion humans brains function in the same ways, so why wouldnt we have common experiences? As for being pointless, I guess we would only say that because we don't know the real answers behind consciousness/the mind. I think you are also underestimating what our brain can create, the beer analogy doesnt work because you are still working under the restricted parameters of the senses, regardless of anything else. And as we've gone through already, all the senses are located within our brain, and no where else.

As soon as the light hits the retina and passes down the optic nerve, it has been turned into nothing more than electrical pulses. At that point all reality has been lost, and turned into a bit of infomation. Why does the brain then build the image up to how we see it? And how has it evolved to manage to be able to use electrical pulses to read lightwaves? Its staggering, and really, too staggering. Because the eye doesnt exist either. The lack of direct connection blows everything out the water and opens up probabilities that are hard to comprehend. Youve probably heard the "computer game from the future" theory. I dont really beleive that, but its a idea to what exactly is happening, consciouness cannot be studied.

Visionz
06-23-2009, 07:43 PM
I gotta run guys but I'll be back to discuss things further, I'll leave you with this for the time being (all these tidbits I'm posting are from lumosity.com for those wondering)

In our daily lives – in conversation, school, and the workplace – intelligence is largely perceived in the speed of information processing, making connections with said information, and retaining it for application to other scenarios. Luckily, all of these areas can be strengthened and adapted throughout life through cognitive exercise, which works on the mind like physical exercise does on the body. This exercise can come in the form of academic studies, professional challenges, and socializing, but it stands to reason that, with habituation, such mental work becomes less difficult and may be supplemented with strength training exercises, especially later in life.

While there is a certain degree of inherited propensity for making the neural connections that drive intelligence markers, because these connections are made through effort and practice, scientists are increasingly supporting the idea that intelligence is not a mere manifestation of an inborn capacity, but instead expands and fluctuates according to effort.

Sean
06-23-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm color blind so I definitely understand how personal perception can conflict with world at large but even with color there is a general consensus of how certain light waves are perceived. There frequency and what not remain constant, it is the perception that changes. My own brain doesn't align with the majority of the population in that sense.

Which is to say that perception plays a huge part in the interpretation of the world that we live in but outside of that perception is the physical world that it was it is regardless of perception.

Indeed there are light waves outside of what humans can perceive. Hence ultra-violet and infra-red. A great example of how perception alone does not define reality.

Yeah like I said the thing with colour isn't the best example but it illustrates my point

It's too late to be getting any deeper right now but I'll come through here tomorrow and discuss it further

Visionz
06-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Visions...what's your take on the pineal gland?

Quick rundown for those who don't know...it's a gland in your brain that's dormant until you either die or experience a near death kind of thing. WHen that happens, it DUMPS the chemical DMT into your brain. Now, DMT can also be obtained and used recreationally.

The odd this is, most people share a common theme to their DMT trip. It usually goes like this; and entity (could be anything) will come to you and you will percieve this entity as "god" and it will tell you things about life and things of that nature.

Either way, what do you think about that shit? I've never done DMT but I would love to try it. I'm a huge fan of responsible hallucinogenic use. I mean, it's cool for a good time but I think the possibilities to see things in a completely altered perspective is amazing.Honestly, I'd have to look into it more. I've also heard that DMT is produced by your body as an aid to dreaming. If you're taking it does it lead to a dream-induced state while being wide awake? I could see that being interesting if that's the case. I don't know enough about it to really have an opinion though. Post a link up if you got some good sources.

We all have the same brains as humans (roughly). As a species we have all evolved together as an organism, with the same brain design. Most of the 6billion humans brains function in the same ways, so why wouldnt we have common experiences? As for being pointless, I guess we would only say that because we don't know the real answers behind consciousness/the mind. I think you are also underestimating what our brain can create, the beer analogy doesnt work because you are still working under the restricted parameters of the senses, regardless of anything else. And as we've gone through already, all the senses are located within our brain, and no where else.

As soon as the light hits the retina and passes down the optic nerve, it has been turned into nothing more than electrical pulses. At that point all reality has been lost, and turned into a bit of infomation. Why does the brain then build the image up to how we see it? And how has it evolved to manage to be able to use electrical pulses to read lightwaves? Its staggering, and really, too staggering. Because the eye doesnt exist either. The lack of direct connection blows everything out the water and opens up probabilities that are hard to comprehend. Youve probably heard the "computer game from the future" theory. I dont really beleive that, but its a idea to what exactly is happening, consciouness cannot be studied.

When I say a common experience I'm not referring to the commonality of the human experience (though its indeed there) but that I can describe a physical location to you and you can end up there w/out me. That couldn't happen if the physical world wasn't indeed real.

I guess to further discuss this particular subject matter, you'd have to define what existence is. It seems as if you're suggesting that human observation is necessary for something to exist. I don't buy into that notion but if we differ there then things will just continue go in circles.

Visionz
06-25-2009, 12:53 AM
Found this account of DMT by one of Timothy Leary's associates

"The faces in the room had become billion-faceted mosaics of rich and vibrant hues. The facial characteristics of each of the observers, surrounding the bed, were the keys to their genetic heritage. Dr. X (the psychiatrist) was a bronzed American Indian with full ceremonial paint; the Hindu monk was a deep soulful middle-easterner with eyes which were at once reflecting animal cunning and the sadness of centuries; Leary was a roguish Irishman, a sea captain with weathered skin and creases at the corners of eyes which had looked long and hard into the unsee-able, an adventurous skipper of a three-masted schooner eager to chart new waters, to explore the continent just beyond, exuding a confidence that comes from a humorous cosmic awareness of his predicament -- genetic and immediate. And next to me, or rather on me, or rather in me, or rather more of me -- Billy. Her body was vibrating in such harmony with mine that each ripple of muscle, the very coursing of blood through her veins was a matter of absolute intimacy...body messages of a subtlety and tenderness both exotically strange and deliciously familiar. Deep within, a point of heat in my groin slowly but powerfully and inevitably radiated throughout my body until every cell became a sun emanating its own life-giving fire. My body was an energy field, a set of vibrations with each cell pulsing in phase with every other. And Billy, whose cells now danced the same tune, was no longer a discrete entity but a resonating part of the single set of vibrations. The energy was love."

Exactly twenty-five minutes after administration, the psychologist smiled, sighed, sat up swinging his legs over the side of the couch and said, "It lasted for a million years and for a split-second. But it's over and now it's your turn."

the full article for those wanting to read further
http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dmt/dmt_journal5.shtml

As its prodcued in the pineal gland it would only make sense that the government has it listed as a schedule I drug :?

It does appear to play a role in visual dreaming and near-death experiences (as AP had mentioned)

I read somewhere recently that a human will usually die if they go ten full days without sleeping. Doesn't matter how nourished you are during that time period. As Ghostlaced had point out we don't fully understand our conscience and maybe never will but I suspect that entering into a dream-state is absolutely vital to our own existence. Perhaps our souls can only take so much of being chained to our existence here on earth and that if it can't find peace temporarily then it will do what it must to get it permantly. Very interesting stuff.

Visionz
06-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Working Memory: What it is and how it works

The cognitive process of “attention” allows the brain to manage the surfeit of the world’s information by selecting only the most relevant information at any one time. What happens to this information once it successfully passes through the attentional funnel?

If cognitive processing ended at attention, you would conduct your life strictly from information received at the present instant, without any internal state of the mind or abstract thought. The words of this sentence would dart ephemerally in and out of your brain, becoming wholly devoid of perceptible meaning.

Instead of this mercifully unlikely scenario, however, your attention grants the words access to your brain’s working memory, which briefly holds and evaluates them for the duration of their relevance (i.e. until you have finished the sentence or idea).

Working memory, though operating over a timescale of mere seconds, is central to human thought processes. It allows you to temporarily hold and evaluate information in your mind, whether from the environment, stored memories, or internal state, thus allowing you to process the world within your personal context. Thus, working memory not only allows you to remember a phone number and find your way home, but is also central to language, reasoning, and most of the mental functions associated with human intelligence.

So what is the neural manifestation of this extraordinary ability? Working memory requires cooperation between multiple brain areas (depending on whether the information comprises locations, objects, or words), but the critical orchestrating structure is the prefrontal cortex (PFC). Lying directly behind the forehead at the front of the brain, the PFC contains neurons that exhibit the special properties of working memory; that is, they are activated by a specific stimulus, and remain activated for the duration of the stimulus’s relevance.

Consider, for example, the Lumosity Birdwatching game. When the bird flashes onto the screen, a certain population of neurons in your PFC will experience a surge in electrical activity. Importantly, these neurons will continue to fire at this elevated rate even after the bird disappears, allowing you to maintain a memory of the location while you move your mouse cursor to the proper location and “take a picture.” Moreover, in a different location of your PFC, another set of neurons remembers the letter that flashed in the middle of the screen, remaining electrically activated during the same time period.

The activity of these neurons allows you to maintain the bird’s location in your mind even when the visual stimulus is gone, exploiting the basic, fundamental mechanisms of your working memory. In your daily life, these mechanisms allow you to evaluate and manipulate select information from the world in the framework of your internal state and stored memories. Accordingly, working memory is crucial for effective decision-making and for the elaboration of goals and intentions; it enables you to manipulate abstract ideas, form coherent lines of reasoning, and overall act like the intelligent being you are.

Rollo
06-30-2009, 12:26 AM
The mind does not excrete thought as the liver does bile, most information we have in neuropsychology is just speculation.

The brain is very much a mystery, I wouldn't compare it to a command center though, I don't know that it pulls along the mind as much as the mind pulls it along. That is a metaphysical argument I don't care to get into though, to be honest.

Visionz
06-30-2009, 01:33 AM
The mind does not excrete thought as the liver does bile, most information we have in neuropsychology is just speculation.

The brain is very much a mystery, I wouldn't compare it to a command center though, I don't know that it pulls along the mind as much as the mind pulls it along. That is a metaphysical argument I don't care to get into though, to be honest.
What's your take on things like Alzheimer's? No matter how strong the mind of a person if the physical aspect of the brain deteriorates then that strong mind ceases to be of much use.

Rollo
06-30-2009, 07:34 PM
What's your take on things like Alzheimer's? No matter how strong the mind of a person if the physical aspect of the brain deteriorates then that strong mind ceases to be of much use.

How can we know strength of mind when we aren't quite sure what the mind actually is?
The mind is not something you can actually observe, you can't put one in a beaker or test tube.

As for Alzheimers, it's affect on the material brain is seen, it's cause however is not.
Nobody knows why some get it and some don't. Even if we can stop the root cause of it in the physical plain, there's no guarentee that it will not adapt and find a new pathway through which to emerge. I think it important then that we figure out the symbiotic relationship between brain and mind.

As for the physical aspect of the brain, there was once an experiment in late 70s where a neurologist used a group of monkeys to show the brains ability to adapt, by cutting off the different parts of the nervous system controlling various limbs, he limited the monkeys in different ways.

Every last single one of them however, re-wired their central nervous system and adapted new pathways to activate those limbs and within months were rehabilitated to perform at the same level of functionality they once did.

There used to be a time where the brain or mind was thought to be a finite thing, however, there has been documented regeneration of nerve cells.

I turn to evolutionary biology and a phenomenon known as punctuated equilibrium, when creatures during the cambrian were evolving simultaneously, we saw an explosion in the number of mutations and adaptations that had never been seen before. Biosynthesis moving far beyond anything Darwinian theory could ever comprehend occured and nobody knows what mechanism it was that triggered it. The only consistancy is that the animals were all going through changes at the same time.

Similarly, the monkeys I referenced began to redevelop the use of their limbs at the same time as well. It didn't take years or even decades.
For that reason, I think the part of our anatomy that is material is urged on by something else, I think there are symbiotic relationships on multiple plains which cause synthesis at a remarkable pace.

The question is, will Western science ever allow itself again to question the super natural?
Or are we so afraid of what might be on the other end that we stay where we are now?

Olive Oil Goombah
06-30-2009, 08:19 PM
I read somewhere recently that a human will usually die if they go ten full days without sleeping. Doesn't matter how nourished you are during that time period. As Ghostlaced had point out we don't fully understand our conscience and maybe never will but I suspect that entering into a dream-state is absolutely vital to our own existence. Perhaps our souls can only take so much of being chained to our existence here on earth and that if it can't find peace temporarily then it will do what it must to get it permantly. Very interesting stuff.

Thats deep right there.

I have always been thought of the atom within an atom within an atom notion of existence held some truth to it.

ANd that human beings evolving as we have, manipulating science to avoid extinction and survive 'unnaturally' is similar to cancer cells.

Its like the human race has skewed off course from the other organisms on earth and have multiplied uncontrollably and are not dying off properly, only reproducing to the point that they take over and destroy anywhere they are.

Yes off topic, but a different view of human existence.

Visionz
06-30-2009, 11:01 PM
How can we know strength of mind when we aren't quite sure what the mind actually is?
The mind is not something you can actually observe, you can't put one in a beaker or test tube.

As for Alzheimers, it's affect on the material brain is seen, it's cause however is not.
Nobody knows why some get it and some don't. Even if we can stop the root cause of it in the physical plain, there's no guarentee that it will not adapt and find a new pathway through which to emerge. I think it important then that we figure out the symbiotic relationship between brain and mind.

As for the physical aspect of the brain, there was once an experiment in late 70s where a neurologist used a group of monkeys to show the brains ability to adapt, by cutting off the different parts of the nervous system controlling various limbs, he limited the monkeys in different ways.

Every last single one of them however, re-wired their central nervous system and adapted new pathways to activate those limbs and within months were rehabilitated to perform at the same level of functionality they once did.

There used to be a time where the brain or mind was thought to be a finite thing, however, there has been documented regeneration of nerve cells.

I turn to evolutionary biology and a phenomenon known as punctuated equilibrium, when creatures during the cambrian were evolving simultaneously, we saw an explosion in the number of mutations and adaptations that had never been seen before. Biosynthesis moving far beyond anything Darwinian theory could ever comprehend occured and nobody knows what mechanism it was that triggered it. The only consistancy is that the animals were all going through changes at the same time.

Similarly, the monkeys I referenced began to redevelop the use of their limbs at the same time as well. It didn't take years or even decades.
For that reason, I think the part of our anatomy that is material is urged on by something else, I think there are symbiotic relationships on multiple plains which cause synthesis at a remarkable pace.

The question is, will Western science ever allow itself again to question the super natural?
Or are we so afraid of what might be on the other end that we stay where we are now?
The scientific mind is one that likes tangible results so I doubt they'd be in a rush. Have you ever read Carl Sagan's The Dragons of Eden? The discussions of the human brain itself is a fascinating one. We have all these layered consciences going on at the side time. I've touched on it this thread earlier but its a good thing that you don't have to worry about breathing and digestion and such on a consistent basis. But it would seem with these also comes the animalistic tendencies of base emotions that the world at large would probably be better without. Realizing our full potential to me equates with fully realizing our humanity. Is that the brain or is that the mind that's evolving in this process? I'd say that the mind leads and the brains follows but I'd also say its extremely difficult to differeniate where one ends and one begins. Any light you can shed on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Visionz
07-07-2009, 06:29 AM
So this man walks into a bar…

You’ll get unique and potentially beneficial activity in the brain if you think something is funny, and maybe even if you don’t, as long as you laugh. While extensive research has been done on negative emotions’ brain mechanisms (as from depression, fear, and anger), the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” approach has been taken towards positive emotions. New studies on how humor and laughter influence the brain are leading to conclusions regarding how positive emotions (and even their simulation) affect brain mechanisms and have given a broader perspective on new therapies for emotion disorders and pain.

When people were subjected to a battery of jokes and comics, photographs of their brain activity showed a sort of laugh belt in the brain, running through parts of the frontal lobe, important for cognitive processing; the supplementary motor area, important for movement; and the nucleus accumbens, associated with pleasure. Accidental proof of the supplementary motor area’s role was found while using electrical stimulation to search for the cause of a young girl’s seizures. Electrically stimulating her motor area triggered genuine laughter. Rather than amuse themselves by poking patients’ supplementary motor areas, scientists are attempting to use their findings for good and are trying to determine how humor processing may tie to disease. For example, scientists plan to examine the brain’s activity of depressed people to see if their humor processing ability is impaired. If it is, then boosting the system’s activity may help depression.

Humor seems to give people a natural high since it activates the same reward centers in the brain that euphoric drugs and episodes of happiness do. Also, evidence suggests that viewing funny videos can reduce feelings of pain, relax muscle tension, and prevent negative stress reactions. Beyond brain area stimulation, the rest of the body also gets a lift from laughter. Muscles are coordinated. Blood pressure and heart rate are increased. Breathing is changed. Levels of the neurochemicals catecholamines and hormones are reduced and the immune system is boosted.

Compared with healthy individuals, people who had damage to their frontal lobes were unlikely to “get” jokes and didn’t smile or laugh as much at what they did find funny. Also, people suffering from depression generally show a loss of appreciation of the rewarding aspects of humor. But, usefully, even faked laughter helps the brain and body. While the conscious mind knows that false laughter is just that, the body can’t tell the difference, and endorphins are released and the physiological benefits occur as they do during genuine mirth. So, when that terrible party guest afflicts everyone with stories of dubious interest, your politeness in laughing will benefit more than just your relationship with him.

Ghost In The 'Lac
07-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Visions, lol, thats weird. I was just (like right now) about to make a thread about Humor importance and the brain and life. Basically everything you just posted.
Damn.
You could say co-incidence. idk. Why did you just decide to post up about humor?

Visionz
07-07-2009, 06:57 AM
I just found the article interesting and worth sharing. People that don't find anything funny tend to be pretty fucking lame though.

on a side note, I would say that when it comes to collective conscience, space is largely irrelevant :lmao:

NzlG28B-R8Y

LORD NOSE
07-08-2010, 06:48 PM
how much of your mind do you control ?

how much of our minds do you control ?

how much of your mind do we control ?

Is the Mind Yours to control ?

what is control ?

where is the mind ?

what are you ?

how much = what percentage

EAGLE EYE
07-08-2010, 07:28 PM
I sat on the deck today reading Kurzweil's recent book which goes into depth about reverse engineering the brain, numerous methods of fMRI, and what we will eventually achieve.

There is some excerpts I'd like to share which will really, really surprise you all. By the mid 2020's we will have the ability to let nanobots carry out deep hi resolution scans of all neural activity.

Currently we have very crude tools for understanding the brain but it's going to change at a blinding speed.

INF
07-08-2010, 07:33 PM
here is a pisture of my brain

here you can see those that control

http://i1028.photobucket.com/albums/y345/infinitythagod/2010-07-03212018.jpg

100pr00f
07-08-2010, 08:32 PM
We do have the electric field that surrounds us and I'm pretty sure that its varies from person to person (most likely depending on the vitality of the individual). You can touch someone without touching them by manipulating that field so I can see the possibilities there.

At the same time the stack of consciencenousses (sp?) that is the human body is desirable in terms of functionality. Could you imagine if you had to think about breathing all the time? It makes me wonder if that's why breath control is so important in meditation. It's a conscience take over of a part of ourselves that's normally on autopilot.

old post but is good....
would suck if u have to control 100% of ur brain...
u would have to focus on breathing...were to put body temp at how to focus ur eyes if its dark or bright
we would be moving slow..only thinking about trying to keep life going controlling how meny pumps the hart takes..

now ...knowing how to throw on autopilot for the things that would let us use the part of the brain to function normally ......

Face of the Golden Falcon
07-09-2010, 12:51 AM
^
...are you talking about learning to give control of things we normally have control of over to the indwelling intelligence?

Is that Bruce Lee in your sig?

"Empty your mind"...

The indwelling intelligence was fighting for the Dragon.

HETEPU