PDA

View Full Version : Thermal Paste Advice: Installing a HDT on a 1366

Dominus Santorini
06-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Does anyone own a heatsink with HDT technology?

I'm going to install a Dark Knight onto a Core i7 Chip with OCZ Freeze and I have consulted a few different sources on the subject.

1. Some pros apply strictly to the CPU (and spread) and do not fill in the gaps on the HDT (gaps between the pipes on the bottom)

2. The instruction manual for the DK says to apply directly to the bottom of the HDT and not on the CPU but spread over the bottom.

3. OCZ Freeze's website instructs that no spreading is necessary (not so sure about this) and to apply to the CPU

Obviously any of these ways will work, but I want to know the best/proper way if there is one. At some point I want to overclock and do not want to have to remove the heat sink because it wasn't reaching it's maximum efficiency.

A few things I learned: You should fill in the gaps of HDT heat sinks regardless of whether or not you choose t0 apply directly to the CPU or just the Heat sink itself.

So does anyone have any experience with this ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Dominus Santorini
06-27-2009, 09:59 PM
So to answer this question:

Apply directly to the HDT not the CPU and as far as the freeze goes spread it all over the HDT using two drops, making sure to fill up the gaps in the pipes.

WARPATH
06-28-2009, 04:49 AM
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

It's pretty thorough, giving explanations and pictures.