PDA

View Full Version : What is Critical Thinking?

diggy
06-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Critical Thinking is the process of using reasoning to discern what is true, and what is false, in the phrases and "sound bytes" we hear everyday.

Part of it involves being familiar with logic and logical fallacies - those bits of false reasoning that are used to manipulate and mislead us.

Part involves being able to separate facts from opinions.

Part involves being fair and open minded; not dismissing anything without examination, and not accepting anything without examination, either.

Part of it involves asking questions, of yourself and of others, because that is how we uncover the truth, and the motivations behind the arguments.

Part involves self-regulation; the ongoing process of making sure that you have not fallen into any of the logical fallacies or rationalizations yourself.

Ideal critical thinkers are open minded; ready and eager to explore all ideas and all points of view, including those alien or opposed to their own.

They are not threatened by opposing views, because they are looking for the truth; they know that if they have it already, it will stand any scrutiny. And if they don't have it, they are willing to drop the falsehoods they have, and embrace it.

Critical thinkers question everything; using their tools to ferret out the truth, wherever it may hide.

The tools they use are Logic, Research, and Experience.

Critical thinking can not only make you manipulation proof, it can open new vistas for you, as things previously hidden become clear.

LORD NOSE
06-24-2009, 05:55 PM
nice

Luza
06-25-2009, 07:41 AM
good post. many things you said are important.
it is also important that you use these skills for the research you are doing. you should who wrote it, as his background can reveal in what way he is influenced.

for example, if an american from 1950 writes something about the USSR, you should be more critical towards his writing as he was obviously affected by the cold war.

food for thought
06-25-2009, 08:20 PM
dope.

thanks.

LHX
06-26-2009, 04:17 PM
critical thinking only became necessary when the lie was invented

before then - the only thinking we had to do was general problem solving - how to maximize our efficiency and survive on the planet(s) we were living on

now - you can only use the words of others as suggestions

anything presented to you as 'fact' is actually nothing more than something that is 'suggestive of a possible fact'

we have abused the privilege of imagination - it is worse than a nuclear weapon that has been placed into the hands of a infant

the day it became ok to pass imagination off as fact was a dark day

diggy
06-26-2009, 05:13 PM
critical thinking only became necessary when the lie was invented...

I disagree.

Critical thinking is used for not only to analyze peoples' statements. It is also used to understand what the senses receive.

Before lies, man still needed to have an understanding of things he's seen, felt, and heard, and critical thinking plays a vital role in that.

LHX
06-26-2009, 06:03 PM
I disagree.

Critical thinking is used for not only to analyze peoples' statements. It is also used to understand what the senses receive.

Before lies, man still needed to have an understanding of things he's seen, felt, and heard, and critical thinking plays a vital role in that.

not according to your own original post:

"Critical Thinking is the process of using reasoning to discern what is true, and what is false, in the phrases and "sound bytes" we hear everyday."

besides - what critical thinking do you need for your own direct observation and experience?

diggy
06-26-2009, 08:48 PM
not according to your own original post:

besides - what critical thinking do you need for your own direct observation and experience?

Before I've posted that statement, I've reread my initial post and what I was referring to was the part near the end that had the statement "Critical thinkers question everything; using their tools to ferret out the truth, wherever it may hide...The tools they use are Logic, Research, and Experience."

Yes, critical thinking could be applied to peoples' statements. It could also be applied to other things.

What critical thinking do I need for observation and experience? Well, let's say, one sees something out of the ordinary happen. It goes against what they've previously known should happen. Critical thinking could separate some of the falsehoods from the truth.

Or if you've misplaced something and you're trying to figure out where you've put it, critical thinking could help with this too.

Or if you are lost in the woods...you wanna decide whether or not you should drink that lake water. If you are near some factory, or if the water is stagnant and not moving, it may not be a good idea to drink it just because it looks clean.

DeeBlock
06-28-2009, 01:57 AM
I like these kinda threads.

Prince Rai
06-28-2009, 03:03 AM
Good thread. Critical thinking to me is the ability to reach your own conclusions and opinions using rationality and independence.

SG
08-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Book: The Opposable Mind

The term "Intergrative thinking": the ability to consider conflicting ideas and synthesize the best features of both, even if they are diametrically opposed

Whats the value of the intergratve thinking? Intergrative thinking is at the heart of generating alternative hypotheses and scenarios, a critical success factor for solving complex problems.

While conventional problems do not require intergrative thinking, those that do require it when the solution is not yet imagined or when we are faced with either/or decisions.

Whats the difference between intergrative and conventional thinking? Intergrative thinkers delve into unstated but deeply held assumptions, not just relying on stated needs which are the mark of a conventional thinker.

Intergrative thinkers see multidirectional and nonlinear casual relationships instead of a simple, linear view of the conventional thinker. The intergrative thinker is able to keep the enitre problem firmly in their mind while working individual parts and considers all dependencies before designing a solution.

The conventional thinker operates on pieces of the problem without considering the whole. Finally, intergrative thinkers always search for a creative resolution to tensions and accepts trade-offs, while the conventional thinker readily accepts an unattractive trade off to avoid tension instead of creating a new solution.

Uncle Steezo
08-10-2009, 06:58 PM
What critical thinking do I need for observation and experience? Well, let's say, one sees something out of the ordinary happen. It goes against what they've previously known should happen. Critical thinking could separate some of the falsehoods from the truth.
if you observe something out of the ordinary...
the truth is that you you saw ______ happen. there is no falsehood.
any conclusion that you draw from your observation is like LHX put it "a suggestion of possibility"

Or if you've misplaced something and you're trying to figure out where you've put it, critical thinking could help with this too.

a good memory would be more effective. finding a misplaced object doesn't require you to separate truth from lie.

Or if you are lost in the woods...you wanna decide whether or not you should drink that lake water. If you are near some factory, or if the water is stagnant and not moving, it may not be a good idea to drink it just because it looks clean.

does it smell clean? taste clean? are there fish and birds in it? what about the vegetation surrounding the lake?
sight isn't the only observational tool.

these are not examples of critical thinking.

i agree that being able to sift thru life and find truth is important.
but once you identify the lie, little critical thinking is required.

diggy
08-10-2009, 07:44 PM
these are not examples of critical thinking.

i agree that being able to sift thru life and find truth is important.
but once you identify the lie, little critical thinking is required.

if you observe something out of the ordinary...
the truth is that you you saw ______ happen. there is no falsehood.
any conclusion that you draw from your observation is like LHX put it "a suggestion of possibility"

When I wrote that example, I had 9-11 in mind. Seeing two buildings 'collapse' like they were demolished after planes hit them is something out of the ordinary. The news media gave us one version, but others gave us another. Using critical thinking to separate facts from bs could help us reach the truth or at least discover the lie. Am I wrong?

a good memory would be more effective. finding a misplaced object doesn't require you to separate truth from lie.

ok.

does it smell clean? taste clean? are there fish and birds in it? what about the vegetation surrounding the lake?
sight isn't the only observational tool.

ok.

Could you give me some examples of critical thinking?

Uncle Steezo
08-11-2009, 03:50 AM
yeah 9/11 is a good example.

i assume you avoided saying it for "tinfoil hat" responses.

but when you saw the buildings come down, didn't your mind tell you the truth from the beginning? you didn't need critical thought until the lie was told to you.

you know how demolition looks because you seen it before.
it wasn't out of the ordinary. they told us it was out of the ordinary.
you seen a building collapse from fire before. you know that wtc did not look like that when it fell.

the lies had to be sifted thru to get to the truth, truth that you knew from the beginning.

my 3rd eye is so open right now that when i read or watch the news.
i see right thru the lies and read between the lines without having to think about it. like the glasses in "they live".

i don't need critical thinking unless its about a topic i have no experience in.
then i have to use other experiences to try and find an applicable lesson.

this goes back to what i was saying about experience and life. try everything do everything. thats the only way to find truth in a world full of illusion.
you got people on here talkin bout shit they have never seen or done.
claiming to be an expert cause of a book.

how did the author get it? either experience or even worse he referenced another author. so its 2nd or 3rd hand info that has been filtered 2 or 3 times.

so back to the topic.
critical thinking is a way to separate lie from truth. but your senses plus intuition(experience) show you the truth.

Uncle Steezo
08-11-2009, 03:58 AM
to answer ur question...
figuring out a magic trick would be a good time for critical thinking.
magic tricks aim to fool the senses.

but... if you are observing carefully you can see the trick.

diggy
08-11-2009, 01:06 PM
yeah 9/11 is a good example.

i assume you avoided saying it for "tinfoil hat" responses.

but when you saw the buildings come down, didn't your mind tell you the truth from the beginning? you didn't need critical thought until the lie was told to you.

you know how demolition looks because you seen it before.
it wasn't out of the ordinary. they told us it was out of the ordinary.
you seen a building collapse from fire before. you know that wtc did not look like that when it fell.

the lies had to be sifted thru to get to the truth, truth that you knew from the beginning.

my 3rd eye is so open right now that when i read or watch the news.
i see right thru the lies and read between the lines without having to think about it. like the glasses in "they live".

i don't need critical thinking unless its about a topic i have no experience in.
then i have to use other experiences to try and find an applicable lesson.

this goes back to what i was saying about experience and life. try everything do everything. thats the only way to find truth in a world full of illusion.

how did the author get it? either experience or even worse he referenced another author. so its 2nd or 3rd hand info that has been filtered 2 or 3 times.

so back to the topic.
critical thinking is a way to separate lie from truth. but your senses plus intuition(experience) show you the truth.

ok, I understand.

to answer ur question...
figuring out a magic trick would be a good time for critical thinking.
magic tricks aim to fool the senses.

but... if you are observing carefully you can see the trick.

One time in h.s. I really saw how a magic trick was done. I was sitting in the gymnasium at the side of the wall instead of at the bleachers cuz it was full. And I saw a magician make a ball disappear by holding a top hat with the opening against his chest - he had a red ball in the other hand and at super human speed, he threw the red ball into the hat opening by tilting it and held the hat against his chest with the ball inside.

I looked at the rest of the audience to see if they saw it, and they had a look of wonder on their faces, so I guess the did not see it.

I felt privileged to know how he did it.

diggy
08-11-2009, 01:07 PM
And that thing about having your 3rd eye open while watching the news...I know what u mean.

Uncle Steezo
08-11-2009, 01:56 PM
yeah man. thats whats up.

diggy
11-26-2009, 11:15 PM

so back to the topic.

I wouldn't say everything, but I get your point.

When I read this, I thought of some points from the book of five rings:

Do not think dishonestly.
The Way is in training.
Become acquainted with every art.
Know the Ways of all professions.
Distinguish between gain and loss in worldly matters.
Develop intuitive judgement and understanding for everything.
Perceive those things which cannot be seen.
Pay attention even to trifles.
Do nothing which is of no use.

diggy
04-24-2011, 08:01 PM
word

TheBoarzHeadBoy
04-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Only 911 was based on my "mind's eye" caused by the plane strikes...

But in general I do agree with this. Most of what is taken for knowledge is misdirection, but its not concerted, just convenient.

L~>1<~NKS
04-24-2011, 11:53 PM
...critical thoughts run heavy when you drop the briefcase.

[generally speaking]

just drop the briefcase

especially if its attached to corporate America.

drop it and leave it

Nothing better then owning your thoughts. Now I critique, less the bullshit rhetoric about just being critical.

Having an open mind is key to this, just don't let your brain fall out.