PDA

View Full Version : Has Eddie Murphy's past demons given him a bad rep?

beautifulrock
07-01-2009, 04:42 PM
I saw Meet Dave, and that shit was hilarious. I think if this were the mid nineties, that movie would be praised, but the stigma of his whole transvestite fiasco has haunted him over the past few years. sure, Norbit and Pluto Nash were pretty awful, but are the critics automatically blackballing him? Not all of his movies are travesties.

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-01-2009, 05:52 PM
I think his string of garbage and family films and garbage family films hurt him more than the tranny thing. I mean he made the Nutty Professor junk after that fiasco and those made money. Is Meet Dave the one where he's a miniature alien or some shit?

He can still make a comeback, it just requires the right project...something actually aimed squarely at adults, because anyone younger than 25 missed out on Eddie in his prime and probably doesn't give a fuck about nuEddie.

beautifulrock
07-01-2009, 05:55 PM
48 hours
Trading Places
Beverly Hills Cop
The Golden Child
Beverly Hills Cop 2
Coming to America
The Distinguished Gentleman
Nutty Professor
Doctor Dolittle
Shrek
Life
Bowfinger
Dreamgirls

I'm just sayin, the man has an impressive resume

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-01-2009, 06:10 PM
bowfinger and the distinguished gentleman are highly underrated

but he also did holy man, vampire in brooklyn, and norbit.

beautifulrock
07-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Yea, but he was the best part of Holy Man, that could have been a good movie, but Goldblum is a stale 6 foot 11 guy, and Kelly Preston can't act her way out of a used diaper...imagine, she showed her cans 15 years ago in some shitty movie and she stretched a career over all these years by marrying a gay man, and by being the wounded woman in awful Kevin Costner baseball vehicles. Her career is more shameless than Jon Lovitz. and that's fucking shameless enough.

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-01-2009, 06:29 PM
^^^^ha! i just don't like when eddie plays the straight man, the only time that worked was coming to america, but that's because he played so many other characters in it.

jeff goldblum is so annoying, i'm watching him ruin law and order right now

oDoUoSoKo
07-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Goldblum is god.

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-03-2009, 02:53 PM
^^^i liked him in cronenberg's The Fly...he's the least versatile performer I can think of lol

beautifulrock
07-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I would say he's the #1 type-casted actor in all of Hollywood.

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-03-2009, 03:25 PM
^^^you may be right...he needs to play a mentally challenged gay man and then he would win an scar and it would reignite his career.

this would work for eddie murphy also.

100pr00f
07-07-2009, 08:25 AM
3 of his movies are in the top 10 movies that bombed the biggest in theaters sitting along side j-los movie

DR. NICK RIVIERA
07-07-2009, 11:58 AM
what's the movie with Eddie and Martin Lawrence

I think that's his best movie... saw Bowfinger last month, haha nice movie [Heather is h-o-t for a typical white girl]

TAURO
07-07-2009, 12:10 PM
I don't really give a shit about his personal life, his recent movies all suck, plain and simple. The last movie of his I properly liked was Life, how long ago did that movie come out?

osiris3000
07-07-2009, 03:13 PM
had a good part in dreamgirls. norbit was funny! yal 4got about harlem nites and boomerang. Both r classics! Life is classic 2

Uncle Steezo
07-11-2009, 10:42 PM
on In the actors studio, Eddie said he likes all of his films. the audience started yelling out "even metro? even pluto nash, even haunted mansion...." lol

eddies prob is that he lost touch with regular life. it happens when you are a celeb. he needs to do a standup tour and soak up america 2009

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-11-2009, 10:47 PM
^^^he also said he knows some of the movies suck he just does them for money

i don't know if 2009 eddie is built for stand up. I saw him on Conan maybe a month ago and he's just weird now...too prim and proper.

oDoUoSoKo
07-11-2009, 11:18 PM
ya he was so boring on conan, idk..hes done..eloels.. PROVE ME WRONG DARKNESS!! eloels.

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-12-2009, 10:28 AM
lol

'prove me wrong darkness'

he would probably be better off abandoning comedy completely at this point.