PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian diet weakens bones: research

BTTR KNG KOOL
07-03-2009, 04:17 AM
18:05 AEST Fri Jul 3 2009

People who live on vegetarian diets have slightly weaker bones than their meat-eating counterparts, Australian researchers said.

A joint Australian-Vietnamese study of links between the bones and diet of more than 2,700 people found that vegetarians had bones five percent less dense than meat-eaters, said lead researcher Tuan Nguyen.
The issue was most pronounced in vegans, who excluded all animal products from their diet and whose bones were six per cent weaker, Nguyen said.
There was "practically no difference" between the bones of meat-eaters and ovolactovegetarians, who excluded meat and seafood but ate eggs and dairy products, he said.
"The results suggest that vegetarian diets, particularly vegan diets, are associated with lower bone mineral density," Nguyen wrote in the study, which was published on Thursday in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.
"But the magnitude of the association is clinically insignificant," he added.
Nguyen, who is from Sydney's Garvan Institute for Medical Research and collaborated on the project with the Pham Ngoc Thach University of Medicine in Ho Chi Minh City, said the question of whether the lower density bones translated to increased fracture risk was yet to be answered.
"Given the rising number of vegetarians, roughly five percent (of people) in western countries, and the widespread incidence of osteoporosis, the issue is worth resolving," he said.

© AFP 2009

LORD NOSE
07-03-2009, 10:34 AM
maybe the 2 should have a bone breaking contest

food for thought
07-03-2009, 11:21 AM
^ haha word

what(diet-wise) contributes to strong bones?

RALPH WIGGUM
07-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Milk.

food for thought
07-03-2009, 11:27 AM
is there be a food that they can incorporate into their diets for this 5% of lost bone strength?

LORD NOSE
07-03-2009, 11:30 AM
the meat company people things stuff persons are going out of business

you'll see allot of these stories popping up more and more

make people scared

there are allot of vegans and so called vegetarians who do not know what they are doing though

food for thought
07-03-2009, 11:31 AM
there are allot of vegans and so called vegetarians who do not know what they are doing though

agreed.

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-03-2009, 11:37 AM
the meat company people things stuff persons are going out of business

ahahahahahahahaha

makes logical sense to me, especially vegans having weaker bone density, but aren't there vitamin and mineral supplements you can take to compensate for what you're not getting?

RIINŲ
07-03-2009, 11:49 AM
vegetarians can eat a dick

LORD NOSE
07-03-2009, 11:58 AM
vegetarians can eat a dick

stop posting nonsense man

i'm getting tired of deleting your disrespectful post

first warning

RALPH WIGGUM
07-03-2009, 12:04 PM
From what I understand, I think you can not eat meat as long as you still eat eggs and milk, cause you still got vitanims from animals.

LORD NOSE
07-03-2009, 12:11 PM
ahahahahahahahaha

makes logical sense to me, especially vegans having weaker bone density, but aren't there vitamin and mineral supplements you can take to compensate for what you're not getting?

you don't need meat to get the vitamins and minerals you need

RIINŲ
07-03-2009, 12:16 PM
u get vitamines from fruits & vegetables, PROTEINS from meat

vitamines keep u healthy, proteins keep u strong!!

stop posting nonsense man

i'm getting tired of deleting your disrespectful post

first warning

stfu

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-03-2009, 12:34 PM
what's the reasoning behind being a vegetarian or a vegan?

LORD NOSE
07-03-2009, 12:34 PM
u get vitamines from fruits & vegetables, PROTEINS from meat

vitamines keep u healthy, proteins keep u strong!!

you get protein from beans - where do cows get their protein from ?

stfu

oh well

what's the reasoning behind being a vegetarian or a vegan?

to live a longer, healthier, more productive life

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-03-2009, 12:43 PM
^^^ok i was wondering if there was more of a philosophical basis for it, some people i've spoken with about it have brought up treatment of animals and all that, but that's cool.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/top-ten-protein-sources/

Many myths surround protein. For the record, vegetarians will not die of protein deprivation (http://www.veggieboards.com/blog/?p=271). I hope no one believes that anymore. It helps to understand that protein is a macronutrient. What we call “protein” is, in fact, a family of amino acid molecules. When grouped together in various combinations we get proteins. There’s no protein molecule hanging out in that hamburger; rather, the animal tissue is made of many different amino acid building blocks. Protein is just a catch-all term we use. This is why vegetarians won’t keel over as people once feared. (However, I still recommend some responsible meat consumption, and for a number of reasons: caloric efficiency, blood sugar management, and human biology. It takes more calories to get adequate amounts of protein on a vegetarian diet. Living on beans and tofu increases the amount of carbohydrates in one’s diet significantly. And the human body most certainly handles - and benefits from - a bit of flesh. But I digress.)
Here are my ten ideal sources of protein, and their popular but inferior counterparts.
10. Winner: Grass-Fed Beef
Loser: hamburger meat
I’ve discussed the problems with hamburger meat (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/meat/) before. I will not eat a meal that includes parts of literally hundreds of dead beasts. I think that’s pretty heinous. That’s just me. Moreover, the average cow is raised on cheap grain that will kill it after about six months (they’re conveniently slaughtered before this happens - but not always). Hardly something I want to put in my body. Grass-fed, organic beef won’t make the vegetarians happy, but this beef is rich in beneficial fatty acids that are missing from the factory-raised cattle. It’s cleaner, healthier, more flavorful, and richer in nutrients. And grass-fed beef is typically raised in humane conditions. If you eat beef, grass-fed is a must. It’s getting quite easy to find these days, but you can order online from many outlets as well.
9. Winner: Organic Chicken
Loser: regular frozen chicken
No comparison. Did you know chicken has flavor? Yeah, bizarre, I know. Chicken raised properly (not shoved by the cluckload into dirty factories) is rich in EFAs and is one of the most efficient, lean sources of protein available.
8. Winner: Wild Salmon
Loser: farmed salmon
Fish is healthy, right? Don’t even bother patting yourself on the back for eating salmon if it’s from a farm. Farmed salmon is produced in a way that’s the seaside equivalent of a chicken factory. As a result, the fish are often sick and infected. They’re fed cheap feed that does not yield the desirable Omega-3-rich flesh. They’re miserable.
Stick with wild only. Most restaurants use farmed salmon, so you have to get a little aggressive about this.
Notice a trend here with my emphasis on good fats in protein foods? Source makes a huge difference in the quality of protein you get. Meat is - or was - a very valuable food because it’s so dense in nutritious fat and protein. What an efficient, rich source of energy! Helpfully, our modern factories have eliminated the nutritional value and left us with weak, flabby, carcinogenic, diseased patties and drumsticks. Hey, thanks, guys. (Although we consumers don’t get off easy: maybe if we ate less…)
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r154/MarksDailyApple/salmon-2.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/roboppy/162187683/#comment72157600218382733)
This is Roboppy’s Flickr Photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/roboppy/162187683/#comment72157600218382733)
7. Winner: Tuna fish
Loser: fish sticks and popcorn shrimp
I don’t think I need to go into this one.
6. Winner: Organic DHA-Enhanced Eggs
Loser: egg substitute and/or regular eggs
If eggs were meant to be eaten as mechanically-separated, low-fat, chemically-altered whites in a carton, the chickens would have done it by now. But an egg is a chick in the making. It’s rich in antioxidants, good fats, vitamins, and - for the calories - a lot of protein. Things like Egg Beaters are the result of food manufacturers exploiting fears based on grossly inaccurate health information. There’s nothing healthy about such unnatural products.
5. Winner: Organic, Plain, European (Greek) Yogurt
Loser: regular yogurt
No comparison. The European stuff is richer, fattier, more nutritious and lower in sugar. Again, when choosing an animal protein source, choose one that also provides valuable fats to maximize nutrition. Don’t go for the conventional animal products that are high in chemicals, hormones, bad fats, and sugars.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r154/MarksDailyApple/yogurt.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkjd/355176657/#comment72157600218729228)
This is DKJD’s Flickr Photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkjd/355176657/#comment72157600218729228)
4. Winner: Tempeh
Loser: tofu and “mock meats”
Fermented foods ought to be part of everyone’s diet, vegetarian or not. Tempeh (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-things-to-know-about-tofu/) is one that is chewy and delicious, even to die-hard burger fans. It’s healthy and a much better bet than heavily processed tofu or “mock meats” that are brimming with poor-quality modified proteins, sodium, chemicals and starchy fillers.
3. Winner(s): high-protein legumes & grains: Lentils and Quinoa
Loser(s): green beans & any large, starchy bean: kidney, great northern, lima
Don’t get me wrong, green beans are terrific vegetables. But these “beans” contain very little protein. Kidney, northern, navy, lima and other starchy beans are also rather limited in their protein amounts. If you don’t have blood sugar issues and you need fiber, I think legumes are a brilliant alternative to bread and pasta. But for vegetarian protein, go with lentils and quinoa. Pronounced “keen-wah”, quinoa is a so-called “complete protein” grain - the only one of which I’m aware.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r154/MarksDailyApple/quinoa-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dansflickr/120202634/#comment72157600218720690)
This is Dan Mogford’s Flickr Photo (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dansflickr/120202634/#comment72157600218720690)
2. Winner: Almonds and Almond Butter
Loser: peanuts and peanut butter
Peanuts are one of the least nutritious nuts (and they’re not technically a true nut anyway). When adding a handful of nuts to your salad for protein, go with almonds. Almond butter is less toxic and allergenic than peanut butter, although the protein amounts are similar by comparison (between 6 and 8 grams, usually). Still, this is about quality protein, not necessarily the amount. When it comes to protein, people often think that “more is more”. A giant steak will certainly give you “more” protein, but if it’s conventionally raised and is an unreasonable portion size, it’ll give you a whole lot more trouble, too.
1. What’s your favorite protein source?
Give me a shout, Apples. What protein do you favor? What have I left out? (To comment, simply click on Comments below to log in to the blog forum, or proceed directly to the forum (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forums/).)
Note: “Cows’ milk is for baby cows,” the saying goes. You’ll notice I left cheese and milk out of this list. I think dairy is less than ideal for human consumption, though I do like yogurt because it’s a fermented food. Raw dairy is healthy and enjoyable for many people, but generally, I think quality meat is better for you than quality milk. Less processed cheeses such as ricotta, buffalo mozzarella, goat cheese and mascarpone are superior to more heavily processed cheddar, colby and jack. I think a little cream and butter are fine in cooking, because I don’t fear saturated fat, but I am concerned about folks who substitute lean, nutritious meat with highly-processed cheese.

food for thought
07-03-2009, 08:49 PM
^ good post.

prof zooruka
07-03-2009, 09:42 PM
paul writes in romans 14

"one persons faith allowes him to eat anything but a person who is weak in faith eats only vegetables".

"the person who eats anything is not to dispise the one who does not...while the person who eats only vegetables is not to pass judgement on the one who will eat anything for GOD has accepted him."

"whoever will eat anything does so in honor of the lord because he gives thanks to GOD for the food.... whoever rufuses to eat certain things does so in honor of the lord and he gives thanks to GOD."

"you then who only eat vegetables why do you pass judgement on your brother? and you who eat anything- why do you dispise your brother? all of us will stand before GOD to be judged by him."

LORD NOSE
07-04-2009, 01:15 AM
romans

rome

BTTR KNG KOOL
07-07-2009, 04:36 AM
maybe the 2 should have a bone breaking contest

Maybe thats what they did :yes:

Slide
07-07-2009, 05:00 AM
vay727 :)

knewcheeze
07-07-2009, 05:21 AM
you can get way more calcium in a cup of brocolli then a cup of milk without the adverse side effecs like pasturization(which basically kills off the nutrients) or having milk's presence in the body...which causes mucus to form.....

knewcheeze
07-07-2009, 05:22 AM
plus milk causes body odor and brocolli gets rid of body odor

knewcheeze
07-07-2009, 05:26 AM
a diet of organic raw fruits and vegetables is electric and alkaline and causes a fresh state in the body....the electricity keeps the healing process moving

a diet of meat and other dead foods causes a state of stagnation and putridness

bones would be much better under the electrical raw vegan diet because when you cook food you kill it motherfucka and render it useless anyhow

so unless you like raw meat

BTTR KNG KOOL
07-07-2009, 05:51 AM
But we are talking about vitamin D, right?

best source: Dairy products & fish.

knewcheeze
07-07-2009, 11:39 AM
how could it be the best when it causes stagnant conditions in the body???? furthermore the milk sold at grocery store is sum science experiment milk...the vitamin D is synthetic in it....its got fecal matter and mucus in it....the sunlight gives us vitaman D....or

http://www.dherbs.com/store/vitamin-d-p-254.html

eye cee milk as a survival type food...and if sumone is gonna drink cow titty juice it should be organic and consumed in moderation

but for me it all comes down to the fact that eye know that milk comes from that cows tit!!!!!!!! thats all the proof eye need....have you ceen a cows tit?.....om drawing the line in the sand beetween the animal and Man kingdom.....

if you want sum Omega 3 and 6.....two words....shelled hemp seeds....those seeds taste heavenly

bottom line if you wanna get the nutrients from a animal source prepare to eat it raw...if not you barely getting jack squat

BTTR KNG KOOL
07-08-2009, 02:04 PM
how could it be the best when it causes stagnant conditions in the body???? furthermore the milk sold at grocery store is sum science experiment milk...the vitamin D is synthetic in it....its got fecal matter and mucus in it....the sunlight gives us vitaman D....or

http://www.dherbs.com/store/vitamin-d-p-254.html

eye cee milk as a survival type food...and if sumone is gonna drink cow titty juice it should be organic and consumed in moderation

but for me it all comes down to the fact that eye know that milk comes from that cows tit!!!!!!!! thats all the proof eye need....have you ceen a cows tit?.....om drawing the line in the sand beetween the animal and Man kingdom.....

if you want sum Omega 3 and 6.....two words....shelled hemp seeds....those seeds taste heavenly

bottom line if you wanna get the nutrients from a animal source prepare to eat it raw...if not you barely getting jack squat

If you noticed, i mentioned two huge groups, dairy and fish. And allmost everybody in the world has access to them. This is why they are the best. You have to be realistic...

And the milk i drink is organic... atleast its not ultra-high temperature processed.

knewcheeze
07-08-2009, 03:04 PM
NO the best would be getting Vitamin D from Sunlight and other vegan sources....

1)they have access to sum POLLUTED ass fish and sum toxic ass shit that barely qualifies as milk
2)even if its Organic its still death, it still creates mucus, it still comes out of a fuckin cow titty, it still creates conditions for disease to set in, the body doesn't know how to digest it, if a baby cow drank the milk you drink it would DIE....if one is crazy enough to eat animal products they better do it in moderation
3)humans are the only things on this planet to drink milk after infancy.....animals don't get bad bones
4)if its pasterized it has no more nutritional value to it
5)the fall of man occured because he started sucking on a fuckin Cow titty drinking food made for a baby cow
6)you are not a baby cow

people don't be lazy...being lazy takes you to the grave

BTTR KNG KOOL
07-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Well sunlight isnt the same everywhere...

it doesnt take much thought to figure out why most of the vegatarian cultures exist in the equatorial areas. As soon as we start moving away from equatorial zone, vegetarian diet starts to lose its beneficial effects... thats how i see it. This is when you have to switch to the survival stuff..

What are the other vegan sources?

Mr. Muhammad
07-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Salaam (Peace) to all.

Anybody in here have MUSCLES or BONES stronger than a HORSE?

What kinda meat does a HORSE eat?

RM

BTTR KNG KOOL
07-08-2009, 03:33 PM
We talking about humans not horses..

Mr. Muhammad
07-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Granted...but if a vegetarian diet can sustain warm blooded mammals, and human beings are warm blooded mammals, then we can no doubt be sustained by such...without being considered "weaker" than those who eat meat.

I'm inclined to agree with an earlier assessment....

If everyone goes "vegetarian", then where does that leave the "beef", "pork" and "poultry" industries?

Just because a person with "PhD" behind their name does some "research" doesn't mean they know what the hell they're talking about...or that their not being deliberately DECEPTIVE.

Hell, it's the so-called "PhD's" and "MD's" of this age that have the health of the Human Family in the "gutter"...ESPECIALLY in America.

Even if it is valid, I'll give up "stonger bones" for a healthy colon any day...lol

RM

knewcheeze
07-08-2009, 03:56 PM
"Even if it is valid, I'll give up "stonger bones" for a healthy colon any day...lol"

people can have both!!!!!!!

Mr. Muhammad
07-08-2009, 03:59 PM
"Even if it is valid, I'll give up "stonger bones" for a healthy colon any day...lol"

people can have both!!!!!!!

Umm...Duhh...OF COURSE they can...

What's your point?

RM

knewcheeze
07-08-2009, 06:38 PM
yeaheye been hitting the internet quite hard these past couple of days....eye can cee how it can drive sumone insane....now eye know how TSA feels

PEACE!!!!!!