PDA

View Full Version : Should welfare recipients be restricted from purchasing luxury items?

EAGLE EYE
07-12-2009, 12:28 PM
What is your opinion about this? I'm sure different countries use other terms rather than welfare.

Do you believe a person who is mentally stable, physically fit, and perfectly capable of holding a job (but relies on some form of state/gov aid) should be in the position to purchase things like:

the latest iPhone
$100 sneakers
misc expensive electronics
excessive amounts of food
the latest model vehicle?

What is your definition of a luxury item?

LORD NOSE
07-12-2009, 12:30 PM
do you know anyone like this ?

do you live around people like the ones you describe ?

what about mentally stable and physically fit people whose skin is too dark for corporate america ?

know any people like that ?

i do

EAGLE EYE
07-12-2009, 12:38 PM
I encounter people like this on a daily basis.

Whether they are local white people who may not have enough "teeth" for corporate America or Somalis who have migrated here who willingly exploit the states welfare system.

When you see one of these individuals in traffic with a vanity plate on a new sporty vehicle that says "UOWNIT" you know the system is broken.

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-12-2009, 01:09 PM
^^^my attitude is: be mad at the system then, not those taking advantage of it

just like the people who complain about immigrant receiving preferential treatment and benefits (something i have never witnessed but i've heard people...usually angry white conservatives... reference this)

to invoke a time-worn cliche: don't hate the player, hate the game

p-rok73
07-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Yes they should be restricted from luxury items IMO. Sometimes the joke from my hood is that you see people paying for their groceries with a link card (welfare debit card) and then putting their groceries & driving away in a new Cadillac Escalade.

LORD NOSE
07-12-2009, 01:21 PM
after all that was done to us - why not use the system and get the best out of it

but on the other side, it makes a person lazy and dependent on the system -

someone is getting money from the system plus working and buying things that you think they should not have - and it bothers you - you have too much time on your hands - and you are very nosey -

people are getting locked up and put to work for the system
some of these people are just getting locked up without committing crime
so that they can become slaves in prison for the system - you help pay to keep them a slave in prison while you buy the products they make in prison - that makes you a slave also -

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-12-2009, 01:25 PM
^^^exactly

ALCATRAZ
07-12-2009, 01:29 PM
i think people should be able to do whatever they want

EAGLE EYE
07-12-2009, 01:32 PM
after all that was done to us - why not use the system and get the best out of it

^^
That would be a horrible approach to take. Aside from disenfranchising White Americans, you would be doing the same to Hispanic, Black and Asian people who work for a living.

^^
Agree

someone is getting money from the system plus working and buying things that you think they should not have - and it bothers you - you have too much time on your hands - and you are very nosey -

^^
Lets not make personal attacks. Also it does not bother me much. I just feel like discussing this topic.

so that they can become slaves in prison for the system - you help pay to keep them a slave in prison while you buy the products they make in prison - that makes you a slave also -

^^
I don't buy prison products. Most of my products come from Taiwan or China. I don't willingly opt into keeping people in prison. America as collection of individuals made this choice. Some people belong in prison. Unfortunately innocent people slip in through the cracks.

see my above comments.

EAGLE EYE
07-12-2009, 01:36 PM
i think people should be able to do whatever they want

With no boundaries or repercussions? What if a Caucasian biker gang raped a sibling or cousin of yours?

Or if a drunk politician killed your best friend in a motor vehicle accident but got off with a clean slate.

Those are just scenarios.

EAGLE EYE
07-12-2009, 01:45 PM
I think for the most part, a majority of us (differences aside) can agree that the USA is increasingly becoming a giant day care with some caretakers that need to be terminated for the detrimental impact they've inflicted on the society.

Having a cookie or lolli pop after lunch is a luxury item. It isn't required for sustainability.

LORD NOSE
07-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by SUNNY WINTERS http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1621350#post1621350)

^^
That would be a horrible approach to take. Aside from disenfranchising White Americans, you would be doing the same to Hispanic, Black and Asian people who work for a living.

You mean work for a dying

^^
Agree

^^
Lets not make personal attacks. Also it does not bother me much. I just feel like discussing this topic.

wasn't directed towards you individually - unless you feel that way too

^^
I don't buy prison products. Most of my products come from Taiwan or China. I don't willingly opt into keeping people in prison. America as collection of individuals made this choice. Some people belong in prison. Unfortunately innocent people slip in through the cracks.

how do you know that you are not buying prison products ?
slaves in china make the stuff you buy ?

innocent people don't slip through the cracks - the cracks get sprinkled on the sidewalk and innocent people get locked up for it - allot of us got rounded up by white men in plain clothes - we assumed they was cops - got locked up - some of us never came back - we were on our way to the record shop to get records - preparing for the next day show - this happened all through out the borough - for some time

EAGLE EYE
07-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I guess there is no telling if I buy prison products. How does one detect the origins of a product? Also how can one be expected to carry out an investigation beforehand of every product they are about to purchase?

Is there an iPhone app for that?

EAGLE EYE
07-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Back on topic..

Now that I think about it, I'd rather see kids in the projects with iPhones. The reason being that even if they aren't utilizing the phone for something productive (like updating their Facebook or Twitter status). They still have an abundance of information at their fingertips. Such as a web browser and the net.

Still technology makes people slaves. Even I agree on this.

LORD NOSE
07-12-2009, 02:21 PM
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/3818/bighouse.jpg

Opportunities available in printing, textiles and soap making. Salary range -- 19 to 42 cents per hour, with bonuses up to 70 cents an hour for good work.

Rollo
07-12-2009, 04:33 PM
What is your opinion about this? I'm sure different countries use other terms rather than welfare.

Do you believe a person who is mentally stable, physically fit, and perfectly capable of holding a job (but relies on some form of state/gov aid) should be in the position to purchase things like:

the latest iPhone
$100 sneakers
misc expensive electronics
excessive amounts of food
the latest model vehicle?

What is your definition of a luxury item?

I don't think we should allow the government the right to tell us what is or is not a luxury item.
It's not their place to tell us that something is beyond our means, if someone can qualify for welfare then so be it.

It's not as though they get their welfare, run through it and then ask for more than they would already be getting. You're giving them welfare regardless, unless you wish to say that people of such health mentally and physically just shouldn't have welfare.

That's a seperate issue.

Ghost In The 'Lac
07-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Would you talk this jive to ODB picking up his check in a limosine?
No?

What if your father was driving that very limosine?
Bitter?

What if ODB gave your father some incredible fine groupie ass at the end of the day?
Is there a problem then?

Its called the circle of life my friend. Dont get involved, you may end up paying for it yourself in the long run.

Prolifical ENG
07-12-2009, 05:06 PM
I remember there was someone on my block on welfare an a truck was delivering him some huge $5000 TV. On one hand thats a luxury item, on the other hand since he's on welfare the person would be watching a lot of TV anyway.

Last year in there was someone on welfare that won the lottery and it was a story in the paper. Lottery tickets are a luxury too.

food for thought
07-13-2009, 12:19 AM
what is welfare exactly and the effects of it?

should people be given welfare?

are there any possible substitues to recieving government "aid" ?

EAGLE EYE
07-13-2009, 01:06 AM
Welfare (financial aid) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_%28financial_aid%29), financial assistance paid by taxpayers to people who are unable or unwilling to support themselves, cf.

Imagine if you were unwilling to support yourself a few thousand years ago. You'd be dead from starvation.

Also for anyone with the ingenious remark about those of us who work to survive are enslaved: NO SHIT.

Mankind is enslaved to work. You have to work to eat. Every day is work whether you want to admit this or not. Whether to sit at a desk all day to earn a check to "purchase food" << another luxury since the grunt work is eliminated OR whether you're running through the woods with a spear to kill a wild animal. Its alllllllllllllll work.

If the Social Welfare system collapsed or vacated over night a lot of people who need it (sick, elderly and mentally disabled) would die off. The unwilling would probably eventually learn the ropes of survival and get back in touch with nature/society.

Why am I even explaining this. I'm sure you are all aware of this. It's common sense.

LORD NOSE
07-13-2009, 02:15 AM
fair well

crass
07-13-2009, 08:11 AM
People should buy whatever they want. Smart people on welfare won't waste their money on jewelry and designer clothes but there is nothing wrong with incorporating a little pleasure into your life. Welfare is great and helps a lot of people but people shouldn't be allowed to abuse it. Ideally people use it as a starting point to eventually put themselves somewhere better, even if that might take a while.

I think mandatory drug testing of welfare recipients with criminal records is the thing to do.

Uncle Steezo
07-13-2009, 02:54 PM
extrapolate the senario. should anyone be allowed to buy anything outside of their means?

maybe everyone should be told what they can and cannot purchase.

look at the housing market. alot of those people were sold homes they couldn't afford.

at the end of the day i'm shouldered with $30,000 to bail out freddie mac and fannie mae.

EAGLE EYE
07-13-2009, 11:18 PM
fair well

LOL

Zunny just Zanna zit in zis zazy boy zall day