PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. to the most trusted man in America, Walter Cronkite.

netscape check two
07-17-2009, 08:46 PM
R.I.P.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
NEW YORK Walter Cronkite, the premier TV anchorman of the networks' golden age who reported a tumultuous time with reassuring authority and came to be called "the most trusted man in America," died Friday. He was 92.

Cronkite's longtime chief of staff, Marlene Adler, said Cronkite died at 7:42 p.m. at his Manhattan home surrounded by family. She said the cause of death was cerebral vascular disease.

Adler said, "I have to go now" before breaking down into what sounded like a sob. She said she had no further comment.

Cronkite was the face of the "CBS Evening News" from 1962 to 1981, when stories ranged from the assassinations of President John F. Kennedy and the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. to racial and anti-war riots, Watergate and the Iranian hostage crisis.

It was Cronkite who read the bulletins coming from Dallas when Kennedy was shot Nov. 22, 1963, interrupting a live CBS-TV broadcast of the soap opera "As the World Turns."

Cronkite was the broadcaster to whom the title "anchorman" was first applied, and he came so identified in that role that eventually his own name became the term for the job in other languages (Swedish anchors are known as Kronkiters; in Holland, they are Cronkiters).

"He was a great broadcaster and a gentleman whose experience, honesty, professionalism and style defined the role of anchor and commentator," CBS Corp. chief executive Leslie Moonves said in a statement.

His 1968 editorial declaring the United States was "mired in stalemate" in Vietnam was seen by some as a turning point in U.S. opinion of the war. He also helped broker the 1977 invitation that took Egyptian President Anwar Sadat to Jerusalem, the breakthrough to Egypt's peace treaty with Israel.

He followed the 1960s space race with open fascination, anchoring marathon broadcasts of major flights from the first suborbital shot to the first moon landing, exclaiming, "Look at those pictures, wow!" as Neil Armstrong stepped on the moon's surface in 1969. In 1998, for CNN, he went back to Cape Canaveral to cover John Glenn's return to space after 36 years.

"It is impossible to imagine CBS News, journalism or indeed America without Walter Cronkite," CBS News president Sean McManus said in a statement. "More than just the best and most trusted anchor in history, he guided America through our crises, tragedies and also our victories and greatest moments."

He had been scheduled to speak last January for the 50th anniversary of the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, Ala., but ill health prevented his appearance.

-news.yahoo.com

MAYOR QUIMBY
07-17-2009, 11:59 PM
He's part of the U.S. media. Far from being trustworthy.

netscape check two
07-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Cronkite was the broadcaster to whom the title "anchorman" was first applied, and he came so identified in that role that eventually his own name became the term for the job in other languages (Swedish anchors are known as Kronkiters; in Holland, they are Cronkiters).

Blackula Spectacula
07-18-2009, 12:40 AM
all these celebrities dying this yr .. weird.

SKAMPOE
07-18-2009, 02:16 AM
He's part of the U.S. media. Far from being trustworthy.
yup:b

netscape check two
07-18-2009, 02:19 AM
Cronkite had a better mustache than you.... at 92.

SKAMPOE
07-18-2009, 02:23 AM
u fuckin crazy? my stash is divine puerto rock sun its respected by most n feared by all

cap
07-18-2009, 05:34 AM
in Holland, they are Cronkiters).

never heard that. i wonder if rama or one of the other dutch guys has.

JASPER
07-18-2009, 10:20 AM
in Holland, they are Cronkiters).
Never heard of that word.

Uncle Steezo
07-18-2009, 11:24 AM
fuck him.
flush the toilet.

netscape check two
07-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Nice respect for somebody who died. smh

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-18-2009, 11:42 AM
walter cronkite was one of the 'enlightened ones'...he was a member of bohemian grove...they used his voice for the stone owl that spoke in their 'cremation of care' rituals

trustworthy my ass

Uncle Steezo
07-18-2009, 12:26 PM
its like calling McDs trustworthy cause everyone gets their burgers there.

netscape check two
07-18-2009, 12:32 PM
That's his nickname, I didn't come up with it. Though you don't see me going in Michael Jackson threads and saying to flush him down the toilet. Imagine the shock from people if I would do that... mouths wide open.

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-18-2009, 12:37 PM
^^^uh...but michael jackson was a creative mind that entertained millions

walter cronkite read corporate dictation from a teleprompter

huge difference buddy

beautifulrock
07-18-2009, 12:38 PM
walter cronkite was one of the 'enlightened ones'...he was a member of bohemian grove...they used his voice for the stone owl that spoke in their 'cremation of care' rituals

trustworthy my assYou beat me to it.

netscape check two
07-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Most people are yoo young to even know much about Walkter Cronkite in here. And some people are too obsessed with people in the entertainment industry.

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-18-2009, 12:48 PM
^^^here we go with the thinly veiled condescension; corporate news isn't part of the entertainment industry? was he really digging up dirt on anything important or broadening the minds of the populace? was he really uncovering political or fiscal scandals? come on man...rip to a human being dying albeit one who was old and due for a check out anyway...but don't try to make it like he was some hugely important figure in modern human history...

Uncle Steezo
07-18-2009, 01:16 PM
cronkite was a talking head, that complicitly or not, pushed political agendas onto the american public.

MJ tried to heal the world thru words and action.

flush the toilet.

netscape check two
07-18-2009, 01:20 PM
http://www.freewebs.com/mentalnat/Michael%20Jackson%20without%20makeup%20-%20funny%20(1).jpg

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-18-2009, 01:32 PM
^^^what an incredibly intelligent and well thought out rebuttal that was

http://www.billoglesby.com/newspick/uploaded_images/WalterCronkite1-799355.jpg
http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01/video/stills/muppets5-large.jpg
see what i did there?

netscape check two
07-18-2009, 01:35 PM
lol, my reply was in reference to the dumpster diver, not you.

Your point was taken.

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-18-2009, 01:37 PM
oh ok

why do you guys call him a dumpster diver anyway?

i always feel like the kid that missed a month of school in this bitch

netscape check two
07-18-2009, 01:40 PM
lol, well he posted pictures of himself diving into dumpsters, when he went a little off the deep end.

ButterCrunchJoints
07-18-2009, 08:51 PM

huge difference buddy

lol @ mike jackson being more important than fucking walter cronkite.

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-18-2009, 08:54 PM
^^^how was he not?

who had more impact on the largest number of people; in life or in death?

think before you post

Uncle Steezo
07-19-2009, 01:52 AM
lol, well he posted pictures of himself diving into dumpsters, when he went a little off the deep end.
joking around is one thing but thats a goddamn lie.
nothing about that post is true.
see how shit gets snowballed into somebodies imagination?

if you say anything enuff times it becomes true on wucorp.

SKAMPOE
07-23-2009, 05:25 PM

trustworthy my ass

its like calling McDs trustworthy cause everyone gets their burgers there.

huge difference buddy
co sign^ ^ ^