PDA

View Full Version : Exercise

Cee Oh Vee
07-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Peace.

I've been thinking for a while now, that I want to keep healthy, which obviously includes regular exercise.

Now, I am working on my diet; it isn't perfect by any means - but, God willing, it's getting there.

When it comes to exercise, I really don't get much - I mean, I walk everywhere, but that's it, which clearly isn't enough.

The problem is that I'm not into (playing/taking part in) sports, just because I'm not good at them, and I don't like that.

What do you guys suggest?

Maybe I'm giving it too much thought, and not just getting on with it. But I mean, I'm very slim and I weigh very little. So when I think about taking up running, I just think; that's going to make me lose weight, which I feel I can't afford to do.

I like swimming, so maybe I should do more of that.

So yeah; what do you suggest?

With peace and thanks in advance,
Cee.

P.S. My aim for this thread isn't to make it entirely personal, feel free to just discuss.

LORD NOSE
07-20-2009, 11:26 PM
swimming is the best exercise for you - its said to work out every muscle in the body

May Allah Bless you on your path

Kingkazim
07-21-2009, 06:47 AM
swimming is great for cardio

try long distance running if thats your thing

NIGHT MAYOR
07-21-2009, 07:48 AM
maintaining a schedule and good diet is the main thing, never break your plan of exercise, even if you only do a short workout do it, or else you get lazy.

NO processed foods and water, drink nothing but water, maybe juice as a treat.

different exercise will yield differernt out-comes.

i do medium wieghts and hit the bag once a week, well been bit lazy last month or two, cant be fucked durring winter.

Cee Oh Vee
07-21-2009, 08:36 AM
swimming is the best exercise for you - its said to work out every muscle in the body

May Allah Bless you on your path

Amin.
And may our Lord guide us both on His Path.

maintaining a schedule and good diet is the main thing, never break your plan of exercise, even if you only do a short workout do it, or else you get lazy.

NO processed foods and water, drink nothing but water, maybe juice as a treat.

different exercise will yield differernt out-comes.

i do medium wieghts and hit the bag once a week, well been bit lazy last month or two, cant be fucked durring winter.

OK, I'll be sure to take that advice. Thanks.

So if I was to take up swimming on a regular basis, how often should I do it and what else would you suggest?

Peace.

NIGHT MAYOR
07-21-2009, 09:30 AM
with swimming i'd do it as much as possible, your muscles dont need much down time because you wont be doing much damage.

KaramelSundae
07-21-2009, 10:21 AM
go biking!

i always go on my beach cruiser
around santa monica to venice

go with friends to make it more exciting
but if you go alone
its fun too
you got time to just cruise it and think
plus your working out your legs

Urban_Journalz
07-21-2009, 10:21 AM
Sallam Akhi.

Along with swimming, I suggest taking up a form of martial arts.

It's exercise that doesn't FEEL like exercise, so I think people are more inclined to maintain a steady routine with it. Also, there is a deep philosophy behind them, especially in the East with Kung-Fu, Jiu Jitsu, etc.

In the case of what they call, "Internal Kung-Fu", such as Chi-Kung and Tai Chi, you'll be balancing the inner and outer aspects of your being, creating a true harmony.

La Hawla Wa La Quwatta Illa Billah.

Cee Oh Vee
07-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Salaam, Urban_Journalz.

That was another thing, I can't believe it slipped my mind when I made the thread.

I know a few people who do Tai Chi, and they are very fanatic about it; but what would you suggest?

Peace.

Gamo
07-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Dieting is weak. I look at dieting as a way of punishing yourself. Some people go on diets and forbid themselves from eating carbs. Your body needs carbs. Don't completey forbid youself, just eat your breads, pastas, etc., considerably. For example Like don't make a fucking double decked PB&J lol. Or just eat small serving of pasta. Diets are for people who can't control what they eat. And stay away from sweats and shit. And exercise a lot. Drink a lot of water too.

Cee Oh Vee
07-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Just thought I'd share with you guys; I'm enquiring about taking up Tai Chi.

But although I've been told that I have a good build for Xing Yi Chuan, I am finding it difficult to find classes.

Peace.

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
07-24-2009, 07:46 PM
yoga?

yoga is quite popular and you should be able to find classes near where you live.

watching people do yoga makes you think that it's all effortless, but i'm telling you now, the yoga class was way harder than any of the other fitness classes that were available. i tried going to some aerobics type classes before the yoga and found them pretty easy, all that bouncing around, moving in this direction and that direction just makes it look strenuous. it wasn't until i went to my first yoga class that i found out it's much harder than it looks.

yoga really works your muscles hard but it won't make you bulky, you'll just have a nice toned figure. your joints will also become more supple.

swimming is a nice idea, but only if you have your own private pool. going to a public pool is like dousing yourself in a public toilet.

Mumm Ra
07-24-2009, 08:00 PM
I had two yoga classes my senior year in highschool cause I wanted to slack off for half my day
and yeah when you get into the more advanced exercises that shit is strenuous

Cee Oh Vee
07-24-2009, 08:01 PM
I like dousing myself in a public toilet, thank you very much.

Any yoga, I don't know, not my thing I suppose. I'll give it some thought.

Public toilet thing was a joke.

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
07-24-2009, 08:56 PM
i've just thought of another. how about dance classes? depending on what kind of dance classes are available in your area, you could prolly take your girl along to it if you need a partner. that kind of exercise could only spell fun and wouldn't feel like a chore at all. (exercise is a chore to me :D)

Mumm Ra
07-24-2009, 09:00 PM
my only exercise is basketball pretty much
but I play nearly everyday and am in good shape anyhow

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
07-24-2009, 09:09 PM
I had two yoga classes my senior year in highschool cause I wanted to slack off for half my day
and yeah when you get into the more advanced exercises that shit is strenuous

were there any difficult moves you happened to be naturally good at?

i surprised myself when i did the lotus position the very first time i needed to do it.

there was another position that i could do with ease. i don't know the name of the position but i was surprised to find that it was actually a yoga move because i'd done it loads of times as a child. it's the one where you lie on your back, then bring your legs up and then lower your knees and rest them on the floor either side of your head. you know the name for that position?

NIGHT MAYOR
07-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Dieting is weak. I look at dieting as a way of punishing yourself. Some people go on diets and forbid themselves from eating carbs. Your body needs carbs. Don't completey forbid youself, just eat your breads, pastas, etc., considerably. For example Like don't make a fucking double decked PB&J lol. Or just eat small serving of pasta. Diets are for people who can't control what they eat. And stay away from sweats and shit. And exercise a lot. Drink a lot of water too.

i agree with you but a diet can mean no processed foods, fatty foods, no soda, more salads.

my mother always said you should try and get as many different natural colours of food into you, red, gree, white, brown, etc etc.

Any yoga, I don't know, not my thing I suppose. I'll give it some thought.

YEAH yo do that, have you seen the females that take those courses ? DAMN, ratio of 5/10 hotties i bet!

now im actualy thinking about taking a class

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
07-24-2009, 10:23 PM
YEAH yo do that, have you seen the females that take those courses ? DAMN, ratio of 5/10 hotties i bet!

now im actualy thinking about taking a class

omg, if only you saw my yoga instructor! she was gorgeous from head to toe. i kept thinking "my girl N would love a taste of her", if she swung that way.

NIGHT MAYOR
07-24-2009, 10:40 PM
you n your girl ? when we gunna see a pic of you tryxx ? i want a pic of you at this screen so i know its you.

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
07-24-2009, 10:48 PM
my girl is a lezza and no i've not been down that route. i couldn't see myself carpet munching.

and i don't do pics, sorry.

Cee Oh Vee
07-25-2009, 12:08 AM
Oh snap.

I'm interested.

Visionz
07-25-2009, 04:57 AM
whatever path you choose, find something you like and stick with it. Starting at a young age makes it so much easier as you get older. Taking the path I'm on which is really no exercise that wasn't completely random and now trying to be disciplined about it kicks my ass.

NIGHT MAYOR
07-25-2009, 05:23 AM
my girl is a lezza and no i've not been down that route. i couldn't see myself carpet munching.

and i don't do pics, sorry.

well untill the day you post im gunna assume your sidious banana, pencil fin records. :yes:

Mumm Ra
07-25-2009, 06:33 AM
omg, if only you saw my yoga instructor! she was gorgeous from head to toe. i kept thinking "my girl N would love a taste of her", if she swung that way.
omg if you saw mine from highschool you woulda thought she was a man lol. One day in class someone wrote "Mrs. Hartsoe has a penis" on the board while she was away - she didn't take to it kindly upon her return.
....I don't think that's the norm tho just a funny story.
were there any difficult moves you happened to be naturally good at?

i surprised myself when i did the lotus position the very first time i needed to do it.

there was another position that i could do with ease. i don't know the name of the position but i was surprised to find that it was actually a yoga move because i'd done it loads of times as a child. it's the one where you lie on your back, then bring your legs up and then lower your knees and rest them on the floor either side of your head. you know the name for that position?
eh it's been a while and I remember next to zero of the specific names. Except the starfish pose :thumbup:
but yeah I had some troubles with some of the leg stretches - like the lotus u mentioned - I guess I wasn't very flexible in the legs even tho I've always been in good shape.

anyhoo
I've been wanting to get into some weight lifting. Might see how much the local ymca will cost me soon....

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
07-25-2009, 11:08 AM
well untill the day you post im gunna assume your sidious banana, pencil fin records. :yes:

:nonono:

i am not a secondary. i'm gonna start growing a beard to prove it, you know sid could never grow a proper beard.

omg if you saw mine from highschool you woulda thought she was a man lol. One day in class someone wrote "Mrs. Hartsoe has a penis" on the board while she was away - she didn't take to it kindly upon her return.
....I don't think that's the norm tho just a funny story.

hahaha... poor cow.

eh it's been a while and I remember next to zero of the specific names. Except the starfish pose :thumbup:
but yeah I had some troubles with some of the leg stretches - like the lotus u mentioned - I guess I wasn't very flexible in the legs even tho I've always been in good shape.

i just did a search.

is this the starfish? it says "corpse pose" so maybe not.
http://www.yogacards.com/yoga-postures-2/yoga-cards/Corpse-Pose.jpg

this is the one i didn't know the name of.
http://www.yogacards.com/yoga-postures-2/yoga-cards/karnapidasana.jpg

famenchuan
07-25-2009, 11:32 AM
about to go to the gym. Love lifting weights. Try dat shit.

Mumm Ra
07-25-2009, 04:05 PM
I only seriously lifted twice before, and both times my fucking limbs felt like jelly for two days
but yes Tryxx that is the starfish pose lol - simply lying on your back.

Mumm Ra
07-26-2009, 05:21 AM
OH
has anybody been rock climbing before? I was into it regularly for about two months and let me tell you -
that shit will kick your ass - plus it's fun especially if you got some friends w/ you

The first couple times I did it I could barely walk the next two days, and still felt the after effects on my body for the next week. Which is a lot more than I can say for even the time I power-lifted weights for the first time.
The first time you do it you prolly wont last much longer than 15-20 minutes.

it's funny though, if you do it enough you start to look at things differently - like "yeah I bet I could climb that"

Krusha
07-26-2009, 05:35 AM
Swimming,like they said it....

NIGHT MAYOR
07-26-2009, 06:42 AM
swimming at the beach is great - only time i realy swim - 6 months of the year every weekend

Urban_Journalz
07-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Salaam, Urban_Journalz.

That was another thing, I can't believe it slipped my mind when I made the thread.

I know a few people who do Tai Chi, and they are very fanatic about it; but what would you suggest?

Peace.

Tai Chi is definitely a good start. I would not only recommend that, but also Chi Kung as well. The slower martial arts are vital for strengthening the internal organs, cleaning out the blood, etc.

Also, the simple methods are effective. Push-ups are always, always good. Not just the regular ones though. Diamonds, and stretch push-ups, where the arms are extended past the shoulders for working the back out, are highly recommended. The knuckle push-ups on concrete are not only for strength, but ideal for self-defense. Even if you don't know any form of boxing, your opponent will feel the sheer power of your hits.

There's a book you should pick up, called, "Dynamic Strength" by Harry Wong. It's all about dynamic tension and the exercises in there are incredible. Most of them come out of the Shaolin Temple, but a few have been borrowed from Japan and Korea. Be that as it may, it's a must-have if you intend to have a better being through and through.

Allah be with you.

Sallam

theDZA
07-30-2009, 02:23 PM
hey yo is there any runners on here?

ima start getting in to it n i just wanted to ask a couple questions, bare in mind that i have never really been a runner:

1 - is it ok to run on an empty stomach or do i have to have eaten a few hours prior to running?

2 - how often a week would you reccomend i run to start with and for how long each time?

thanks for any help

Urban_Journalz
07-31-2009, 12:05 PM
hey yo is there any runners on here?

ima start getting in to it n i just wanted to ask a couple questions, bare in mind that i have never really been a runner:

1 - is it ok to run on an empty stomach or do i have to have eaten a few hours prior to running?

2 - how often a week would you reccomend i run to start with and for how long each time?

thanks for any help

Peace,

I'm not a regular runner per se, however I hope what I have to say can benefit you.

Running on an empty stomach is not a good idea. Nor is running on a full stomach. I would suggest, before you run, start off with some fruit juice and a light salad. If not, some granola bars or granola cereal and juice or water. Eat enough to destroy the hunger, but don't fill yourself up.

For beginners, I would suggest running 3 times a week for 20 minutes to a half hour tops. Some people have more endurance than others so this window should be comfortable for all. The main goal here is not to overwork yourself. You're trying to expand your horizon and that takes patience. A lot of us want instant gratification and that is always hazardous.

Take your time and find out more about your body. What it needs and how much it can handle at this point of development. Expand on the dietary suggestions mentioned above and come up with your own combinations. Smoothies are a very beneficial part of physical exercise, because you can combine everything that your body may need into one balanced serving.

I hope this helps.

Peace.

theDZA
07-31-2009, 03:40 PM
^ thanks alot ... ima rep you for that as soon as i'm allowed to (have no fucking idea how long that is tho)

Urban_Journalz
07-31-2009, 04:00 PM
^ thanks alot ... ima rep you for that as soon as i'm allowed to (have no fucking idea how long that is tho)

I'm just glad to help son.

Keep on keepin' on.

Peace