PDA

View Full Version : Tron was the original Matrix

diggy
07-22-2009, 02:21 PM
If you really think about it, Tron is more or less the same exact film as the Matrix. Tron is the real Matrix, and a much better one to be honest.

The film primarily takes place in the digitized world, and tries to illustrate what goes on inside our computers, on the other side of the screen. You've got programs running around like people, basically tiny, neon-covered versions of their "real life" counterparts, the ones that created them. Most are slaves to "the man", which in the world of Tron is the Master Control Program, or the MCP, who goes around sucking up hapless programs and either assimilating them into himself to become more powerful, or pitting them against themselves in the "game grid".

We learn that the these computer people have their own religion, that those who are oppressed hold out hope that divine intervention would come and help them show the light, that being the ones who made them and everything else. They call their gods "Users". Which leads to such brilliant philosophical questions, such as "If I don't have a user, who wrote me?" And of course, the MCP doesn't like such crazy beliefs (i.e. religion) clogging the system, hence another facet of its intention behind domination.

The details of the plot concerns a disgruntled programmer, Flynn, who created a number of video games that another person stole and tool credit for, which then became smash successes, allowing said underhanded individual to shoot straight to the top of the company. Flynn is pissed and attempts to find proof that he was the original author by hacking into the company's computer systems, but is unsuccessful. Dillinger, now the senior executive vice president, and who basically runs Encom, with the aid of its super advanced computer system is pissed by this attempt, and gives a few folks in his employment whom he doesn't like some grief.

Some of these people are Allan, a programmer working on a security program called Tron, as well as Lora and Gibbs, the cute female researcher and the not so cute old guy.

They help him infiltrate the system so Flynn could get the evidence he needs to show the program that was stolen from him is really his...

Has anyone seen this movie? I've watched it again last night and I could not help but see this as the original Matrix.

LORD NOSE
07-22-2009, 04:57 PM
while watching metropolis i thought about Tron - never seen the movie though, but remember when it first came out - there was a video game in the arcade also - now i gotta watch this - lawnmower man was a good movie - check that out if you haven't

diggy
07-22-2009, 05:12 PM
while watching metropolis i thought about Tron - never seen the movie though, but remember when it first came out - there was a video game in the arcade also - now i gotta watch this - lawnmower man was a good movie - check that out if you haven't

Ya, watch tron with a critical eye.

I think I should check metropolis and lawnmower man sometime soon.

Uncle Steezo
07-23-2009, 04:46 AM
.tron had a profound effect on my life as a child. i caused me to personify the innnerworkings of computers and really digital electronics as a whole. to this day, when using a program like photoshop i always imagine it as a "worker" doing my bidding, or wonder what is "ailing" it when it isn't acting right.

i own tron on vhs. last time i watched it maybe 6 months ago, the same thought crossed my mind.(matrix)

a remake done by the right director and stuidio would be beyond dope cause you have the internet dimension to it now. there is a pc game tron 2.0 that came out a few years ago that should have been great but sued horribly.

but yeah the user/program/mcp relationship is deep.

and don't forget Sark who was the ceo's program. he became a slave to the mcp, which in turn made the ceo a slave. ie- the digital reaching out into the physical world. the door swinging both ways. flynn went in the mcp came out.

Uncle Steezo
07-23-2009, 04:47 AM
i cant see or play with a frisbee without thinking of tron

Mumm Ra
07-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Still haven't seen this but have always intended to at some point
fuck I could probably have it downloaded off isohunt by the time i wake up....

drippie k
07-23-2009, 10:29 AM
lawnmower man...i remember my dad renting those movies way back in the days and i always thought they were dumb because of the title..he never let me watch them anyway

LORD NOSE
07-23-2009, 11:17 AM
yo ^

you are preventing the angels from posting with your sig

diggy
07-23-2009, 12:48 PM
.tron had a profound effect on my life as a child. i caused me to personify the innnerworkings of computers and really digital electronics as a whole. to this day, when using a program like photoshop i always imagine it as a "worker" doing my bidding, or wonder what is "ailing" it when it isn't acting right.

i own tron on vhs. last time i watched it maybe 6 months ago, the same thought crossed my mind.(matrix)

a remake done by the right director and stuidio would be beyond dope cause you have the internet dimension to it now. there is a pc game tron 2.0 that came out a few years ago that should have been great but sued horribly.

but yeah the user/program/mcp relationship is deep.

and don't forget Sark who was the ceo's program. he became a slave to the mcp, which in turn made the ceo a slave. ie- the digital reaching out into the physical world. the door swinging both ways. flynn went in the mcp came out.

I appreciate a movie with a good concept.

Ya, I would like to see a remake of it too.

In a part of the movie, the frizbee Flynn had was elevated under a beam of light and was brought back down. It reminded me of a UFO abduction.

Flynn had to throw the frizbee toward the mcp I think similar to how Luke Skywalker had to fire laser beams at the center of the death star.

Soul Controller
07-23-2009, 01:39 PM
i need to watch tron and metropolis again been so long.. i can just about recall tron :s

LORD NOSE
07-24-2009, 02:42 PM
watched most of it and it bored the hell outa me - had to turn it off -

reminded me of pin stripe lees, italian ices, and beatings for starting fires

diggy
07-24-2009, 08:46 PM
watched most of it and it bored the hell outa me - had to turn it off -

reminded me of pin stripe lees, italian ices, and beatings for starting fires

Ya. It's not for everyone. Sometimes I watch a movie for the sole purpose of analyzing it. I was trying to understand the concept of it. That was the motivation behind me watching it.

V4D3R
07-25-2009, 05:36 PM
you can include The Terminator and Battlestar Galactica. Computers fighting humans.

Battlestar Galactica is the deepest of them all though.

Mumm Ra
07-25-2009, 05:50 PM
I could never get into battlestar galactica - and I like sci fi shows

M.O.D.
07-25-2009, 06:17 PM
tron is the shit , real dope movie

set_rule
07-26-2009, 09:13 AM
If i may add on FMJ (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/member.php?u=16918) ... if you wanna watch "sole purpose of analyzing it" a few movies
check these out if you have not already ....... "DARK CITY" "DAYS OF THE CONDOR"
"THE LAST MAN" "FAHRENHEIT 451" "THE OTHERS" "THX 1138" "LOGAN'S RUN"
"THE EXPERIMENT" ..... peace

diggy
07-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Thanks.