PDA

View Full Version : Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... Pt II

Oztradamus
07-23-2009, 02:17 AM
http://pleasedontstare.com/PDS/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Raekwon-Only_Built_4_Cuban_Linx_2.jpg

The First review is in.. I'll edit this post and add my review on Sept 8th :b

Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx 2 Review (WORLD EXCLUSIVE)
July 21st, 2009 · 1 Comment
“A Toast To The Best To Ever Do It”

Lyric on final track of the album

A few hours ago, I had the pleasure of being the only blogger/journalist/anyone who has had a chance to listen to the much anticipated “Only Built For Cuban Linx 2″.

Every since speaking with Raekwon the last time he was in town, I’ve been very excited to hear this project and honestly, it doesn’t disappoint.

Below are just some of my thoughts. At this stage, I don’t have titles for the tracks but do have most of the features and production credits. Hope you enjoy it

The album starts with a skit. The beat is soulful, very smooth.

A voice that begins to speak. Its Papa Wu and he’s speaking to the rapper.

“Yo Rae, that you baby, heard all these things about you … we went through so many trials and tribulation, watch the people that cheat you”. Not only is Papa Wu dropping knowledge, but he reminds the listener just how far the rapper from Staten has come.

Already from the sound of the track and the opening skit, it sets up a mature album without the raw, gritty sound we are familiar with on Only Built For Cuban Linx.

Rae has gone through so much and hes taken it in his stride.

Track 1

Starts off with the classic Shaolin fighting sounds. I think to myself, this is a RZA beat. As the upbeat track is in full flow, I’m still thinking this is a RZA beat. I’m completely wrong, its actually a J-Dilla beat.

Already bopping my head, Rae fires some dope rhymes and some swagger “I’ve always been an ill dude”. Ghostface then rolls through and adds some style. Method Man is also featured on this joint. This is the album version, but the single version which will drop next week will have GZA on the hook. Its called “Flying Daggers”

Track 2

Pete Rock produces this next street and grimey track. Its a street tale and its vintage Raekwon.

He’s looking to make that paper. One line he raps “I haven’t got my money yet”

The third track on the album features Erick Sermon. It has good chemistry. This is followed by what I’m guessing will be called “Its cold outside”. It has the hook from Rainy Days “Its cold outside” but essentially the track is about Raekwon and everything he’s faced from his street life, his music right through to the present. It also features Ghostface.

Track 6 on the album is produced by the legendary RZA with a rich sounding record. “That black Mozart shit right here”, that’s a lyric that sums up the track.

This is followed by a skit with Raekwon flossing. “yo where them Levi’s at”. He picks out some Gucci.

Then the album goes into some vintage Raekwon and Ghostface. The chemistry is still there, they compliment each other very well. It has an old school feel to it. This is followed by Criminology 2.

Then the album takes a mature turn. Something we didnt hear on the first album, soulful beats. This is the first of many tracks that show the Chef reflecting. “In order to be a general, you still need to be a solider”.

The hook goes “The Fat Lady Sings”.

A skit follow this and it seems Raekwon is getting cut out of the street life. A person says to Rae “The bosses dont want to war with you … delete the friendship”.

Then comes one of my favourite joints on the album. Its another Dilla beat. It had my face all screwed up! It features Ghostface. The joint has that Wu feeling. I was expecting the great late Dilla to come with a Wu-sounding record but he comes hard!

Then comes another mature sounding track. Its a RZA produced one. Its a chilled out record, something you can zone out to. It features a German singer on the hook who is very very talented.

Track 15 is one of few Dr. Dre tracks on the album. Raekwon raps “I grew up on the bad side” and later “talking that cocaine rap, that’s what we live for”.

I knew straight away that the track was produced by Dre. The use of the piano said it all.

As that song fades out, I’m still on the sofa wondering whats going to come next!

I hear the Shaolin fighting sounds, im expecting Method Man or Inspectah Deck, instead I hear the raspy voice of Yonkers own, Jadakiss. This is definitely a street joint. Styles also blesses the track.

The legend that is Slick Rick does the hook on the next joint. He sings “we will, we will rock you”. Slick doesn’t rhyme on the record, he just does the hook. Raekwon comes through with his vintage flow. What’s amazing is that the joint was produced by GZA’s teenage son Kareem who I’m told is about 15-16 but I’m not sure.

As the album comes to a close, I’m still wondering what more can I expect. In my mind, I’m thinking if I’m going to hear the Nas record, was it done? Did Esco come through??

But then my attention is taken away by Beanie Sigel who features on a joint and he KILLS it!!! Good energy and its compliments the Chef. The track is about life in jail and being trapped. Sigel came through on that joint for real!

We are on track 19 now, its another chilled joint with a soulful sample. Its not as grimy and funnily enough, it will appeal to the female Wu Tang fans. I say “funnily enough” because even the males gonna like this track (i think i’ll say no homo at this point lol). But seriously, a nice joint but the only difference between this and the other tracks is the content. Rae is talking more about boats, Gucci, Louis Vuitton. Its a feel-good joint and Rae asks the listener to “Walk with me”.

Alchemist record also makes the cut. You already know its a street record with the Wu-Tang member going in hard. This is followed by a fantastic Dr. Dre beat. Its a horn filled track. This beat is banging. I was trying to pick out lines but the beat was so nice, i found myself just enjoying Rae flowing effortlessly with Dr. Dre behind the boards. Real nice Hip Hop joint.

The album is coming to a close now. While reeling over some of the joints I’ve heard so far, I didn’t manage to catch the next one. I think the following line from the hook summed up the track. “Who can you trust, look up ahead, you know we got sharpshooters”.

The final track on the album, which RZA co-produced I hear. This will be the biggest surprise to everyone but a VERY nice one at that.

The track opens with a skit. New Wu plays in the background, there’s loads of chatter and it seem like Raekwon is walking through a crowd with them praising him. There’s fireworks followed by a pop of a champagne bottle…its a celebration.

“Toast to the best who ever done it”.

This beat is actually my favourite of the album. Firstly whats crazy about it is it samples Elton John’s “Yellow brick Road”. Its a classic Elton joint. Now I’m bugging out. I’m thinking “DAAAMN, Raekwon got Elton John to give the go-ahead. Elton has only given his work to Tupac, Kanye West and a UK artist by the name of Ironik.

The story goes….

RZA and Elton are good friends, RZA reached out to Elton and told him about the project. They sent the beat to Elton and he immediately signed off on the record and actually really likes it.

A great end to a solid album.

Ok, so there’s no Nas on the album. I know everyone is disappointed and I’m sure both Nas & Rae are too but it doesnt take away from the fact that Only Built For Cuban Linx 2 is a solid effort.

The production on it is tight. There isn’t one joint where I’m going “yeah, I’ll skip that”. The album has a variety. There’s joints on there to get you hyped, a joint to listen with your lady, a joint to zone out on and a classic Wu-Tang posse cut.

I know people will ask “Is it better than the first OBFCL?”. My response would be, don’t compare Raekwon to Raekwon, compare the album to whats out now. The first album was in a different time, the artist was in a different place so it would be impossible to compare.

The features are pretty good. I didn’t get to hear Erick Sermon’s verse but in terms of guest verses that I heard, Beanie Sigel kills it with his rhymes. But Masta Killa, Inspectah Deck, Method Man, Jadakiss, Styles P, and of course Ghostface all appear on the record

Has the Chef lost any game? Hell no! Is his flow still flawless? Hell yes!

I definitely want to hear the album again just to listen to the lyrics.

September 8th is the release date. I suggest Hip Hop fans pick this one up.

Raekwon aint nothing to f*ck with, Wu-Tang Clan aint nothing to f*ck with!!!

1. Return of The North Star (Featuring Popa Wu)

2. House of Flying Daggers (Featuring Inspectah Deck, Ghostface Killah & Method Man)

I like how this opens the album up on some hard/fast paced, the beat by J-Dilla goes hard on here, Inspectah Deck opens this up pretty solid with his verse sounding better than he has in a long time so that's a plus. Raekwon comes in real hungry on here his sword is still sharp

"Fly criteria, bury me in Africa/With whips and spears, and rough diamonds out of Syria"......"And speak with the youth in the spot, eat the fresh fruit in the crop/All these hip hoppers eat cock/You could see me in the street or the yacht/I'd rather be promoting your block or buying fresh sneakers with gwops"

Raekwon definitely picks up where Deck leaves off on this track going even harder. Ghostface has the MVP award on this track, everything is point with this guy, his lyrics, voice, delivery all on point it's like he's never even lost a step and it does sound very easy for this guy to do, he just smashes this track. Method Man does his thing on the closing tip, his flow is still there, lyrics are sharp sounding harder than he did on Blackout II. I Love this line right here

"See these fans can't resist the rush, they Wu-Tang for life/Scarred for life, they can't forget the cuts"

That's so true, that's why most of ya'll clowns are still here. Anyways.... 4.5/5

3. Sonny's Missing

I was worried about this, I was wondering how Raekwon would do on his own, the first Cuban Linx Raekwon only had about 2-3 solo tracks on it, he has a good number of solo tracks on here but this is definitely good right here, I'm definitely feeling the street tale he delivers on here, this is was Cuban Linx is about right here, Lyrics are so vivid on here, you can see the whole story unfold in your mind. This line right here gets me hyped everytime

"He had the steal on 'im, niggaz went savage, they had him spread out
T position, opened his jeans up
Shot him in the leg bone, he rose up like Kung Tut"

That shit was crazy, Raekwon is just thinking on a whole new level right there. Plus this is nice and short not too long. I'm feeling this track alot. 4.5/5

4. Pyrex Vision

Everything about this track is perfect, Nice and short, straight up coke bubbling on this shit. Raekwon just goes in, he does a U-God and just throws it right in your face no games. Marley Marl definitely came through with this beat, them bubbling sounds got me buggin over here, this shit is that 21st century grimy shit right here. 5/5

5. Cold Outside (Featuring Suga Bang Bang & Ghostface Killah)

This had to grow on me right here, but it definitely did, especially in the car this sounds 3x better. The hook is pretty dope Suga does his thing I always thought he came through whenever he was on something so I wasn't bothered by this hook at all. I'm loving the horns on this beat, it just makes this shit realer, you can feel this track more. Raekwon and Ghostface definitely deliver on this Rae hasn't lost a step I mean damn

"Religious with hammers, fakes get jammed up
Cakes get battered, coming through to get it, them transactions
Blood stinking fiends, machine guns, cannons and teams
Baking sodas, gold Rovers and gophers"

His calm flow even makes the rhyme sound better, I'm glad he's matured on this one alot. Ghostface delivers his heartfelt verse, you feel cold listening to what he has to say

"They found a two year old, strangled to death
With a "Love Daddy" shirt on in a bag on the top of the steps
Police blowing niggaz, NARCs and judges
Me and son had beef, I had to murk him, we supposed to be brothers
Cause he came home fronting, feeling like that I owe him something
Cause I'm getting money, drive a little something something
Renee got AIDS, with five kids smoked out
House is brick, bills haven't been paid in days
A Brooklyn man's a molestor, court case and the crime's raising
SWAT stickers on the church, they Satan
Holiday season is here and I'm vexed
Who the fuck made Christmas up? I'm fucking broke, it ain't making no sense
Newports are $7.50, a box of Huggies is off the meat rack
She's back, thirty days, she relapsed
Our troops need to leave Iraq
And rap niggaz need to go on strike so we can get more cash"

This nigga whole verse is just COLD. Overall they definitely deliver on here no doubt about it. 4.5/5

6. Black Mozart (Featuring Inspectah Deck & Rza)

Rza definitely delivers on here, I'mma tell you what my uncle told me "Rza never left the clan, the clan left Rza" that's real, it shows on here, Rza delivers a stellar offering on this Pt. II. Back to the rhyming tip, Raekwon is obviously letting Deck take this one on here, as he just goes in and comes out on this one. Inspectah Deck takes the lead and runs with it
even better than his first serving on the album, he is just solid on here taking it back on his verse. This is definitely that Black Mozart shit right here. 5/5

7. Gihad (Featuring Ghostface Killah)

When this first came out months back I barely pay attention to it, but when I heard this in the speakers I was like "Oh shit" This bass goes hard for real, I didn't even know Necro did the beat until recently, this shit goes mad hard. This is that classic Wu feel R.A.G.U. a straight up hood tale "Chef in the kitchen cooking up with the crimey's" that shit get me hyped every time I hear it, peep this line though "And everybody love vintage, you see like 4, 5 niggas With half moons and wave intentions" DAMN! Raekwon....Ghostface delivers a classic tale about fucking one of his Sons bitches, the question is....is he talking about his real son of one of his mans???? Whatever the case may be this is classic Ghost right here and Ghost at the end of this is just classic. 5/5

8. New Wu (Featuring Ghostface Killah & Method Man)

I don't know about ya'll but this was a 5/5 for me on first listen, Rza delivers another great offering on the album and they go in on this shit. If this is a preview of that joint album I'm definitely giving my money up. Raekwon just has quotables everywhere one of my favorites on this one is "Move like 91 romans" LOL that shit is just ill for some reason. Ghostface smashes this one with ease, I love how he sounds confident on this one, Method Man definitely has the MVP verse on this one I mean you can just throw the track on and listen for yourself, his flow on here is flawless and lyrically he is on point "But on the humble I'm a good dude, don't short change me, see that's a hood rule" that was nice as fuck and his last line is real "I'm what these kids is killing to be, but I don't want my Chidren to be" who says Method Man ain't got lyrics, we need more of this from Method Man. 5/5

9. Penintentiary (Featuring Ghostface Killah)

I like the back and forth rhyming on here, plus this is Raekwon and Ghostface, you know it's a story going in here somewhere. Raekwon is planning his escape with Ghost playing undercover. Pretty dope. The beat is aight on here, keep BT on those mixtapes Rae. This is a keeper strictly because of the MC's on here. 4/5

10. Bagging Crack

Raekwon talks about baggin crack with some lil nigga. Anyways this is nice and short, I think if he would've extended this song he would've killed the vibe on here. Eric Sermon could've came better on here though. But on a good note another Raekwon solo that Raekwon handles well. 4/5

11. Surgical Gloves

Yo I get mixed feeling about this track everytime, one day it's a classic next day it's a banger. Alchemist comes through on here though with some heat. Raekwon "Super Charged Kangols" this nigga has so many quoteables on here it doesn't make any sense. But anyways Raekwon is just going hard on this track proving to these little niggaz that he still has authority on the mic. 4.5/5

12. Broken Safety (Featuring Jadakiss & Styles P)

I wasn't feeling this until i played this in the car, this shit goes hard for real, I'm mad at myself for sleeping on this track. Beat is definitely raw on this one, He has JADAKISS AND STYLES P on the track, did you really think this was gonna be wack, them niggaz deliver on the Purple Tape Pt. II my nigga Kiss goes hard on here

"That's why I'm still bringing the seed back
The sneakers that I can't pronounce, that cost a G stack
Niggas in the yard, got this on repeat, black
Fuck saving hip hop, we bringing the streets back"

and Raekwon manages to definitely hold his own weight on this track.

"Player spit snipping, different color wallies on
Bliffen had to take 'em off, they fucked up the soles, flipped it
I'm forever zooted, crushed up glass, I'm just flashing through it
Nine times out of ten, suede down at the Jumer"

I mean come on, Raekwon is just sharp with these lyrics.You see that shit? Raekwon literally just shitted on Lex Diamonds Story with this...LOL Now Add Styles P to end the track and you get

"I used to move brown rectangles
Roll you a blunt, then smoke you with death's angel
Chrome trey pound is making your neck dangle
Blue trey eight is leaving your chest mangled
It's math but the gun could kill you at all angles
Leave the toast home, I'm leaving you all strangled"

Oh God! WTF Styles P is ripping this shit, I'm glad Raekwon showed love to these niggaz on here, they brought their A game on this one. 4.5/5

13. Canal Street

Another Raekwon solo, I noticed this beat from the Jadakiss album just slowed down for Raekwon. He definitely goes in on here, I can see alot of niggaz sleeping on this one but you just have to listen, Raekwon is giving you that Raw shit on here. Pretty Solid. 4/5

14. Ason Jones

I'm loving the ODB tribute track, This is the best Tribute to ODB i've heard yet (Until Ghostface decides to release his track). I read someone say this track was outta place. Get the fuck outta here, he was just on Canal street now this nigga is poppin bottles and zoning out on his brother at the crib, he going back outside on the next track, don't worry. Besides that the J-Dilla beat goes perfectly with this one. 4/5

15. Have Mercy (Featuring Beanie Sigel & Blue Raspberry)

I'm glad Raekwon is putting real street MC's on his albums, don't nobody wanna hear that bullshit. But anyways Beanie delivers a 5 star verse on here, you can feel that shit "I done seen weak niggaz not last a year" Damn. Beanie has done it again. On a side note wtf is up with this hook Raekwon? "It's really on you a dickhead" You could've came up with something better. Anyways Raekwon delivers on the mic so he makes up for it. His smooth tone on the mic just matches the beat perfectly. This beat is nice as fuck too. Oh yeah we have the highly anticipated return of Blue Raspberry, she did her thing on here, I know alot of niggaz are complaining about her being off key, but if you like me and you zoning out on this beat, you zoning out with here too. 5/5

16. 10 Bricks

This goes hard in the whip for real. "I know her from africa, pretty smile 9 teeth" Raekwon and his quotables...Raekwon comes through on here, but I wanna move on to Cappadonna, he delivers on this one I was nervous when I saw him being featured on here, but he comes through on here, Ghostface smashed it "Peppermint Clarks" LOL Ghost is that nigga. Beat is live as hell on here too thank you J-Dilla. 5/5

17. Fat Lady Sings

Yo I slept on this shit but after a few listens.....Raekwon's mic skills are fucking crazy I love how he starts it off..

"Punch broke the Dred's jaw, pulled the four out
And went off, told him that he can't sling his raw
When he fell, yo, he broke his wrist, his bangles flew off
His Balley's was scuffed, then he blew a kiss"

"Little young Keyon rushed him, yeah, shorty was a vet
Gillette soldier, shorty hit the neck
Blood squirted, look like laundry detergent, the Dred fell out
Right from there, he gon' need a surgeon
You ain't dead yet"

Raekwon goes in on here, I'm glad that it's at this length too. Rza ONCE AGAIN delivers a stellar offering. 4.5/5

18. Catalina (Featuring Lyfe Jennings)

Dr. Dre Beat? It was cool, I know he definitely had something better but didn't bother giving it to Raekwon, It's cool though, I'm like what Raekwon did with what he was giving. I'm loving the lyrics on here this kind of reminds me of "Smith Bros." and "The Hood" when Raekwon goes in on here. Lyfe Jennings on the hook is dope, Like I said I'm glad Raekwon has real niggaz on his album, Lyfe Jennings is real if you heard his shit you know what I mean, his hook is perfect for this one. 4/5

19. We Will Rob You (Featuring Slick Rick, Gza, & Masta Killa)

First of all Nice beat by Kareem. Next, the hook isn't all that bad like people are saying, I actually like that shit, but anyways this is a pretty nice cut right here. Most notably Gza and Masta Killa, Gza's verse has to be from before Grandmasters because that's when he started getting boring on the mic, his verse was very solid though, if it's new I gotta give props to him for real, Nice to hear Masta Killa after his M.I.A. period he just delivers a stellar verse on here, his lyrics are just sharp as fuck. 4.5/5

20. About Me (Featuring Busta Rhymes)

I actually like this Dr. Dre beat better than the last one he offered. Raekwon smashes this one better aswell, Busta Rhymes sounds better than he has been sounding for awhile on this one, Raekwon's tone just matches this beat crazy, I can't imaging him being hype on something like this. 4.5/5

21. Mean Streets (Featuring Inspectah Deck & Ghostface Killah)

I'm feeling this one, I could see why some cats might not be, but I am, Everyone delivers on here this is pretty solid not too much i can elaborate on here. 4/5

22. Kiss The Ring (Featuring Inspectah Deck & Masta Killah)

Scram Jones dropped heat right here, every verse on here is crazy Raekwon comes in on some boss shit

"By the time you read this letter
Your head gon' fly off your shoulder for lying
And I'mma be in bed like holders"

"A live general when he walk, if he died, then we slide
Ninety thou' in the coffin, and take the child"

I'm really glad Raekwon is keep lyricsism alive, he smashed this and Don't sleep on Deck, he doesn't play on here, I love his opener on here he proves he's been doing this for years...

"Black Jesus, check my walk, check my talk
Legend in the flesh and I rep New York
Crowned king, been down to bang, I'm House Gang
Knockout specialist, in and out the ring"

Masta Killa is the icing on the cake, he just sums up the whole album with one verse

"Now he's an old Mafia don, from back when
He managed to survive the game, ducking fame
It's how he maintained, the State of Grace, kept his lab laced
Ladies of a fine taste, kept his place guarded
While the young charted, found acquitted, all charges
And his heart loss and, marksmen take the contract
From the contact, waiting for the right event, it all made sense
He left no prints on the weapon, and he was blasting
Came home from prison stashing, still stacking
His whip still matching his kit, steel flashing
Hands quick, nice with his shit, three holy foods
Drops jewels, from a street corner level, young brother, I'mma rebel
Here to instruct private soldiers to buck arms
Ya'll rap cats had your last win, toast the kings
It's Wu-Tang, it's our thing, kiss the ring"

Kiss The Ring. 4.5/5

23. Walk Wit Me

Scram Jones delivers more heat on this shit, this song is just on some mafia type shit, Raekwon just throws ill dartz all over this one man, this is one of my favorites on here, listen to his shit, it takes time but you can catch his lines if you want to..

"Cash it in, yo, Masta, live with me, take it all
You can have whatever, five hundred leathers
Bruno Mag' sweaters, Gucci rain boots
Brook Brothers, New Eras, jew killers
New line sponsored by fellas, catch 'em in the hall balling
I thought about it, whatever"

One of my favorite lines on here LOL

"We on, rolling thirty deep in the gadget trucks
Spending magic bucks, fuck around, get an Aston truck
Fly around, fucking actress sluts"

Raekwon is that nigga, this whole story he paints is just raw as fuck, I love how he tells the story in a mature manner, an younger Raekwon would've probably been wilding out, but listen to this story he gives you.... 5/5

Bonus Cut
Badlands (Featuring Ghostface Killah)
4/5

Ok, If you thought this was going to match the first one shoot yourself. Now, this album definitely met my expectations, I was not disappointed at all, Raekwon has some good production on here and the lyrics on here are sharp as fuck, I mean I know Raekwon came hard on 8 Diagrams but he definitely came harder on here, ALL guest spots deliver heat on here, what more could you ask for, I know there are people who will not be satisfied but hey your scarred for life like Meth said in House of Flying Daggers you're still here, give the albuma real chance because I know most of the haters haven't, this is definitely my number 1 album for 2009. Is this a classic? naw not right now, does it have the potential hell yes.

Beats - 4.5/5
Lyrics - 4.5/5
Overall - 4.5/5

****Overall 4.5/5 (Wu- Classic In due time)****

Nagra
07-23-2009, 02:25 AM
Reserved

Shogah
07-23-2009, 04:43 AM
This review kind of sucks....

I mean look at this

Rae fires some dope rhymes and some swagger “I’ve always been an ill dude”

He’s looking to make that paper. One line he raps “I haven’t got my money yet”

“That black Mozart shit right here”, that’s a lyric that sums up the track.

Like this is the best of the best of the best lyrics you picked to show us?

DNasteee
07-23-2009, 06:58 AM
compared to the typical album review it was poor. Although, I am willing to give him a pass on it due to the circumstances.

You have to keep in mind that he had some sort of world exclusive (be it full album, or partial) on a highly anticipated hip hop album. Likely being a fan of wutang himself, and knowing the fan base has waited forever for this, he probably rushed through it in order to get it posted.
Also, if he had waited a few days to really digest the album and give a more proper review, maybe he gets beat out by someone else.

If anything he's "review" came across as an excited fan more than a professional review but that's ok. I was more excited to read it then to focus on his half-ass review.

Although his quotable lines really are a joke, he probably shouldn't of even added that on there.

NaturalBornKilla
07-23-2009, 06:49 PM
I cant fuckin wait to get this one

Ghost In The 'Lac
07-23-2009, 06:55 PM
reserved

Dumb & Dumber
08-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Reserved.

12weLvE
08-01-2009, 11:59 AM
LMAO!! @ people Reserving shit.

I guess this is my spot huh :satisfy:

deeznutz1981
08-04-2009, 11:29 AM
OK just finished listening to the album twice and hands down best album of the year so far for me. rae came with it, the whole clan came with it and theres not many things that bother me about this album. its a nice updated version of the first one. though nowhere near the first one its still a better sequel to me than Nas Stillmatic was and Still matic was my shit!!!

Intro - 10/10

Flying Daggers - 10/10

Sonny's missing - 10/10 (I know the beat from Pete Rock's album but Rae kills it and the beat is so sick its ok.)

Pyrex Vision - 10/10 (this beat is so fuckin dusty and laid back shit makes you wanna pour a drink and bust a fat railer of coke)

Cold Outside - 9/10 (beats epic, Ghost completely bodies this track)

Black Mozart - 10/10 (Sick Sick RZA beat one of my favs on tha album. those drums show RZA still got it in him!!)

Gihad - 8/10 - (I loved this track when it first came out and its fuckin crack but compared to some of these other tracks it doesnt stand up for a 9 or 10 score but its still a sick sick B-side single. The bass knocks ridiculously hard!)

New Wu - 10/10 (this track has that vintage wu sound and the darts are actually incredible to be a first single nowadays. Rae and RZA came left fieid with this whereas a lot of newer rappers sell out with their first single i.e. 50 cent. This track would bang at a club still and is catchy without being annoying.)

Penitentiary - 9/10 (this fuckin beat is sick. the way they go back and forth is that classic shit!!! Beats good but its what loses the point in this track but only 1 point. lyrics and storyline are on point!!!)

Baggin Crack - 8/10 (your typical Sermon beat but it reminds me of Muddy Waters and it could have been on that album so its tight)

Surgical Gloves - 8/10 (ALC did black out on this and so did Rae, like everyone else pretty much says Rae's second verse is his best on the whole album.)

Broken Safety - 10/10 (fuck Nas its D-Block!!!!. Beat is crazy!!!!! got the same drums as Life Changes if anyone noticed.)

Canal Street - 9/10 (Sick track, love the sample. Who cares if its been used it fuckin suits this album!!)

Ason Jones - 11/10 (the best beat on the album!!!! J-Dilla killed it hands down he owned this album.)

Have Mercy - 9/10 (Beans and Blue completely killed this. Beat was fire and the lyrics on point. Blue should have been on another track or 3)

10 Bricks - 10/10 (beat fire of course. I fuckin love this beat!!! I finally got to hear it and its slammin. All 3 come correct. people complained about Cappa's verse??? i though his verse was just disgusting. he ripped that track and so did RAGU.)

Fat Lady Sings - 7/10 (this one will grow on me. the fat lady annoyed me. the beats pretty authentic wu but its not one of the better ones on the album. i still fuck with it but just compared to others it gets 7)

Catalina - 9/10 (the best Dre track on here. actually suits the new cuban linx feel on some tropical shit out in colombia. i actually fuck with this beat and i thought i'd hate it.)

We will Rob You - 9/10 (one of the top beats on the album and yes that slick rick hook is WACK but thank god he doesnt do it too much. GZA takes it with this but this beat is one of my favs so far.)

About Me - 6/10 (I actually dont care for this. If it was state of grace instead this album would be probably an instant classic for me. the song is listenable but doesnt belong on this sequel. at least its not too dance club sounding so its all good but i dont like the clap. it clashes with the rest of the tracks, sounds too polished. just your typical Dre beat and we already have your typical Dre beat on here thats better so why 2? i still would bang this anytime of the day but not one of the go to tracks when i'm listening a third time.)

Mean Streets - 8/10 (lyrics are on point, the beats sick but when i saw this on paper i pictured another type of Math beat - real vintage and dusty - but i fuck with this big time still just not as much as others.)

Kiss the Ring - 10/10 (3rd or 4th beat track on here. epic ending on some rap royalty shit.)

Overall this album is fuckin crazy!!! i know i'm gonna be listening for a long long time!!! though not near as good as the first its still one of the most consistently street albums i've heard in the past 7-8 years. Finally the purple tape 2 has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure about classic though. let me give it a year. I know i havent listened to 8 Diagrams since about a month after buying it. this i like way way more.

Protect ya Neck!
08-04-2009, 12:31 PM
AOTY thus far. Awesome album 9.5/10

Spectrum7glr
08-04-2009, 12:42 PM
my spot

deeznutz1981
08-04-2009, 01:19 PM
reserved again!

this will be my sober review whereas the one a few posts up will be when i'm high as fuck

nick14
08-04-2009, 04:45 PM
haha ...

*waits 5 weeks until editing this post*

DNasteee
08-05-2009, 11:27 AM
Long story short I'd give it a 4 out of 5, great album.

It actually surprised me, I was mad hyped for it, heard the snippets and then wasn't as excited for it, but then bought the album yesterday and was pleasantly surprised.
The only skippable joint is that E. Sermon song. Lyrically it's on point, production is better than average (great in some spots, very good/good for the majority of the rest of it.)

Everyones entitled to an opinion of course, but if your a Wu fan and don't think this is a very good album, I'm not really sure what your expecting nowadays.

UncontrolledSubstans
08-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Dope album. 9/10

Poetic Wun
08-07-2009, 03:02 PM
greatest album of all time ever in history

bad boy T
08-08-2009, 05:19 AM
That new wu track is a banger J dillar blessed that one for sho. R.I.P.

Kanha
08-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Reserved

TSA
08-25-2009, 12:37 PM
WHAT A NIGGEr WOULD HAVE DID IF HE STTEEEAALL FROM ME

Don Universo
08-25-2009, 12:43 PM
When in Rome....

Reserved.

Likes: beats, chemistry,song arrangment,very cuban linxish sound(for 09)

Dislikes: New wu sounded too high, could have had more allah math and or rza production

Fav song upon first listen: mean streets
Least fav upon first listen: canal street

very superior album 9.25/10

Luz
08-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Reserving spaces? To post your Cuban Linx II review? Wow.

Crackhead Bob
08-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm not reserving anything. I make my own threads.
\

edit...awww fuck it

Never has an album in hip hop history received as much hype and anticipation as the 4 years in the making for Only Built For Cuban Linx...part 2. The fear and disappointment of constant setbacks and release pushes had Wu-heads scratching theirs, and doubting whether Raekwon's opus even existed at all. Those fears subsided in past weeks and months, however, as tracks from the mythical album started to leak and listeners rejoiced at the product that was slowly being released from the Ice water camp. Fast forward to September 1st, and as the first leaked copies of the album spread like wildfire across the internet, Wu-Stans couldn't wait to post their first opinions of the record in mass. Indeed, nary a negative reply was heard, and for at least a tiny instance, Wu-Tang and Raekwon had climbed to the pinnacle of hip hop perfection, dangling their skills over the lackluster Slaughterhouse crew, as if to say, "Nice album, now toast to the best whodunnit."

Between momentary lapses in beat strength and purpose, on tribute tracks and mild R&B crossovers, what remains is nothing short of a head nodding masterpiece. Although infused with a bevy of producers, and reworked executive production, Raekwon has managed to harness the Wu sound with all involved, and create a seamless blend of soul, mafioso, and Kung Fu samples not necessarily reminiscent of the first album, but as an entity of originality unto itself. There will be those that insist that this is a carbon copy of the first, but nothing could be further from the truth. This is Raekwon's album, his memoir if you will. Perhaps even more intimate than the Lex Diamond story, perhaps lyrically stronger than the overlooked Immobilarity, Raekwon has definitely exceeded beat expectations and comprised a worthy sequel to it's 1995 predecessor.

Upon first listen there is nothing skippable, no filler what-so-ever. Sure, everybody may not love all of the tracks, but you would be hard-pressed to find a track that is so inferior, it doesn't belong on the album. All of the Wu-Tang members who grace the album do so in highly potent fashion, reminding us why they are the greatest rap group in history. The guest appearances are surprisingly solid, but not enough to detract from the shine of Raekwon, or what this album is all about. It symbolizes togetherness, an unbreakable bond that even death can't destroy, as evidenced on the incredible tribute track Ason Jones. For once in many many years, we were promised a superior record, and that's exactly what we got.

red = 5 of 5
orange = 4 of 5
yellow = 3 of 5
green = 2 of 5
blue = 1 of 5

vocal credit
production credit

Return of The North Star
Raekwon
Papa Wu
BT

Starting as the first album ended, with the North Star beat, Papa Wu serenades the track with wisdom in his voice as he has done many times before. A lesson about money and the "real" devil ensues with Papa Wu issuing a warning to Rae to watch out for the cheats and liars, and to get his paper because it's his. Inexplicably, the beat morphs into a preview of the Have Mercy track with Raekwon talking to himself? Not the best opening track ever, and not that standout, but it does do one important thing, that is, reminding those listeners of where the idea spawned.

House of Flying Daggers
Raekwon
Ghostface Killah
Inspectah Deck
J Dilla

The opening song of the album is Raewon's personal favorite, and it's easy to see why. All of the classic elements of Wu-Tang production and lyricism are featured, from the low moaning on the beat to the interpolation of Clan in the Front on the hook. However it's the individual lyrics that are complete head turners here, and it is all jumped off by Deck, brilliantly spitting "I pop off like a mobster boss, angel hair with the lobster sauce, summertime can't top the scorch". Ghost adds many gems from "The team gotta eat, seeds is hungry, that's why we ain't scared to dump on niggaz, our guns is chunky" to "I'm an old mummy, my gold weigh as much as King Tut's"...finally ending with Mef's clearest and most concise flow in years "Got a lotta piff to puff, and I ain't come for fisticuffs or for the cops don't wanna click the cuffs, man is Staten in this bitch or what?" A hard hitting beat and quotable lyrics are just what the doctor ordered for those dying for a solid dose of Wu.

Sonny's Missing
Raekwon
Pete Rock

From a beat with Kung Fu appeal to a darker, more mafioso-esque one, Raekwon weaves a ghetto tale with details that make it play out like a crime report. He delicately weaves his yarn with careful attention to flow and inflection. Hard dusty brass with flutes over slow rumbling bass and muffled hi hat drive this short story without need for a hook. An impressive blending of harmony and vocal that is short enough to keep the listener interested.

Pyrex Vision
Raekwon
Marley Marl

A short interlude featuring soothing vocals and an even more comfortable melody is sure to leave fans wanting more. This seems to be the calm before the storm, because what follows is a Rainy Dayz counterpart.

Cold Outside
Raekwon
Ghostface Killah
Ice Water Productions

The mild R&B crossover of the album has an almost regal feel, with classical brass dominating a slow rolling beat. A downtrodden tale by Rae with Ghost in tow, they seem to easily tear apart tracks like this with the lyrics while the hooks always compliment the verses aptly.

Black Mozart
Raekwon
Inspectah Deck
RZA
RZA

A hard to describe cross between a church hymn and a Halloween TV special, this track combines elements of an electric pipe organ, electric guitar chord strikes, and hard snare raps. The real deal here is Deck whose verse is the staple of this song. An otherwise forgettable hook and bizarre ending are the only things that prevent this from being declared an instant classic.

Gihad
Raekwon
Ghostface killah
Necro

An odd combination of Islamic chorus and uneven bass samples prevent this track from being a classic, but that's not where the strength of this track lies. An extra strong muffled hook and verses concluded by a hilarious chastisement by Ghost on the outro are the real draw here, once again a ghetto tale riddled with pristine observations and visceral moments.

New Wu
Raekwon
Ghostface killah
Method Man
RZA

RZA's second production on the album is nothing short of miraculous. Everything on the beat is perfection, from the classic drum kit used many times before, to the unending chorus of OOH WU that dominates the melody. Already a month old before the album dropped, this still remains one of the predominant songs on the record. It is hard not to regurgitate each and every lyric as it's spit by each emcee. A sure fire classic.

Penitentiary
Raekwon
Ghostface Killah
BT

A deadly serious orchestra comprised of high shrilly bells and Indian strings reminiscent of Eminem's Ass Like That make this an immediate Wu-banga. Although short and to the point, it's presence on the album is not easily missed by fans of the hardcore sound. Once again Ghost and Rae spin a yarn in their Abbot and Costello style, bouncing back and forth a few short lines at a time. The overlapping Rae hook is utterly repeatable, and BT makes his mark on the album with superb production.

Baggin' Crack
Raekwon
Erick Sermon

Another short yet impressive jab, Baggin' Crack features playful production by old school kingpin Erick Sermon of Def Squad and EPMD fame, and a drug riddled verse by the Chef. Effortlessly explaining the intricacies of the crack trade, the song is a reminder of his days on the hustle and a reminder Raekwon came from real surroundings.

Surgical Gloves
Raekwon
Alchemist

Repeating electronic percussion drowns out the background melody as Raekwon methodically rides the rhythm. Memories of Big Trouble in Little China are surfaced within this realm before a shouted hook punctuates the track. The only drawback is Raekwon solo is not nearly as exciting as Raekwon with support.

Broken Safety
Raekwon
Jadakiss
Styles P
Scram Jones

A Kung Fu sample introduces the track before jumping into a double time beat with a constantly repeating voice sample over low whole notes. Jadakiss is as usual an apt wordsmith using the same voice over recording techniques he uses on every one of his tracks. Raekwon provides a verse equal to the task, but it's Styles P that really surprises here with his offering. It's better than boring, which is a-typically better than his capabilities.

Canal Street
Raekwon
Ice water productions

On to the second half of the album where Raekwon once again turns to the Ice water production team for assistance. It is at this point in the album where you start to see Rae's vision of a drug novella becoming clearer. Although at times disjointed and out of place, most of the tales on this record can be interwoven so the overall story and theme stay consistent throughout. 70's brass samples and guttural beats litter this true life city track.

Ason Jones
Raekwon
Ol' Dirty Bastard
J Dilla

The Wu are quickly becoming kings of the tribute track with Rae saluting his fallen brother in fine fashion. A classic soul sample loop by legendary producer J Dilla, and interview clips from the one and only ODB make this an instantly memorable cut.

Have Mercy
Raekwon
Beanie Sigel
Blue Raspberry
Ice water Productions

No doubt a grower track, it may take a while for new fans to get used to Blue Raspberry's high pitched off-key fluctuating hook. Beanie Sigel and Raekwon spin a tale from the prospective of being behind bars while the cool city groove rolls along. It's a simple yet effective beat comprised primarily of piano chords and electric bass guitar.

10 Bricks
Raekwon
Cappadonna
Ghostface Killah
J Dilla

Alarm bells in the interlude remind the listener that this is a Dilla track, and a hot one at that. As if he is part of Wu's own production team, Dilla concocts a beat that could easily have been stolen from one of RZA's milk crates. High twanging strings and sharp brass provide a hard Kung Fu backdrop for Rae, Capp, and Ghost to easily destroy.

Fat Lady Sings
Raekwon
RZA

Essentially another interlude, Fat Lady Sings is a short story laid to wax courtesy of production by the RZA. Rae tells the story of territoriality wars with the Jamaicans over a steady beat with bongos for percussion.

Catalina
Raekwon
Lyfe Jennings
Dr. Dre

As the story winds down, Rae creates a song about the dangers of karma in the form of retaliation. Probably at least a few years old, it's easy to see why Raekwon moved away from Dre's executive production if this is the best he could come up with. More a tropical feel, than a Kung Fu or Mafioso one, the subject matter is much more in line with Rae's style than the out of place beat. The last thing you ever expect to hear on a Cuban Linx album is Kettle drums. Huge upside is the Akon wannabe on the hook that i never heard of.

We Will Rob You
Raekwon
Masta Killa
GZA
Slick Rick
Karim

Wasting a legendary talent like Slick Rick for such an awful hook is almost criminal. Thank god GZA saves the day with a past glimpse of his former glory. Raekwon once again paints a clear picture of the story he's telling, truly a giant leap in the right direction as he seems to be getting better at what his partner in crime Ghost does so brilliantly. With so many mistakes on one track, this is easily one of the bottom 3 joints on the album.

About Me
Raekwon
Busta Rhymes
Dr. Dre

Beatwise the most boring track on the album, Dre is surprisingly lackluster with his dull slamming piano notes and hand claps. Also surprising is the fact that Busta gets no album credit for this song, one in which he shines with his bizarre inflections and grunting flow.

Mean Streets
Raekwon
Inspectah Deck
Ghostface Killah
Allah Mathematics

After the only lull in the album, Rae rebounds with a strong output on the final two tracks of the album. The first is Mean Streets, mixing complex metaphors with an unbelievably strong hook. Many may find this boring, but as far as knowledge being spewed, it really doesn't get any better than this. Low Brass, high recorders, and splashing cymbals are mashed together in a way that both symbolizes ending or completion and the epic nature of the record itself. A hidden jewel.

Kiss the Ring
Raekwon
Inspectah Deck
Masta Killa
Scram Jones

Talk about saving the best for last. If you ever told me that the Wu would one day sample an Elton John song, I probably would have believed you, but never would have believed it would work out this well. The chorus for Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is interpolated here, and it is absolutely one of the greatest decisions Raekwon has ever had. Putting it on this album at the end gives the listener a feeling of wanting more, so much more, that the first and only instinct is to start all over and replay the whole thing. For my money it's a top 20 track for the entire history of their catalog. Absolute perfection.

With at least half a dozen certified classics and a litany of bangers in tow, this album will keep Wu-Tang fans satisfied for at least a few months, or at best give the Stans a chance to put down that Dopium cd long enough to give their college roommate some solace after listening to Eurotrash remixes ad nauseum. The album stays on point, never skews off topic, and is chock full of vibrant beats and visceral lyrics. It may not be a crime novella or a totally seamless story, but it does one thing the first part certainly did, it makes you want to listen more.

90/22= 4.09 out of 5

compare likewise track reviews

OB4CL = 4.54
Tical = 4.05
Immobilarity = 2.40

Ghost In The 'Lac
08-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Reserving spaces? To post your Cuban Linx II review? Wow.

^^^reserved

Prolifical ENG
08-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Im not gonna do some detailed limp wristed critique of this album through the tracks.

9.5/10 straight up.

Luz
08-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Personally, I never read a review if its beyond post seven.

Megaherz
08-26-2009, 02:57 PM
so no Nas track on the album

Suga Duga
08-26-2009, 03:46 PM
like somebody will read all your reviews, lol

Poetic Wun
08-27-2009, 03:39 PM
classic.

Hollow Dartz
08-27-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm using my powers to get the 1st spot, so fuck whoever LOL AND I'm not adding a poll until the 8th, or maybe 2 weeks later.

the silencer
08-27-2009, 09:08 PM
eh...

reserved?

(pretty cool idea)

Poetic Wun
08-28-2009, 08:49 PM
i'm using my powers to get the 1st spot, so fuck whoever lol and i'm not adding a poll until the 8th, or maybe 2 weeks later.
just heard this shit:

THIS ALBUM REDEFINES MUSIC COMPLETELY. NO ALBUM WILL EVER LIVE UP TO THIS IN LIFE

Hollow Dartz
08-28-2009, 08:55 PM
fucked up, man.

LOL I know but I had to do it, I got Love for my niggaz OZ. I'm serious about that poll shit too. Let me copy and paste what I did to the first post of the thread for niggaz who didn't read.

HOLLOW DARTZ' RESERVED SPOT. REVIEW COMING THREE WEEKS AFTER THE ALBUM DROPS. YA'LL NIGGAZ LIKE TO CALL SHIT CLASSIC OR WACK ON THE FIRST LISTEN. CUT THAT SHIT OUT.

KERZO
08-29-2009, 06:37 AM
recerved (skampology)

Longbongcilvaringz
08-29-2009, 02:41 PM
reversed

DR. NICK RIVIERA
08-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Rae serve

claaa7
08-29-2009, 05:29 PM
---

blahrelyk
09-01-2009, 03:04 PM
Only have the snippets but what did you think
here's the link for the snippets
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002GZQZX8/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000002WU9&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1SXCM3NX8T96YJ2WDX99
and go down to listen to smaples and click listen to all

Crackhead Bob
09-01-2009, 03:13 PM
reserved....haha just kidding

Wontonloogie
09-01-2009, 04:48 PM
poasting. listening now

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
09-01-2009, 05:45 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61YJrYppPDL._SL500_AA240_.jpgAs the hype behind Only Built 4 Cuban Linx….Pt. II built over the last few years you thought almost it was going be another long line of mythological albums that never appeared or materialized. On the contrary Raekwon the Chef drops prolly almost an overly hyped album that meets the hype and then some. From the jump of the album (primarily after the intro) “House of Flying Daggers” is the tone and table setter that serves up a J Dilla beat specifically constructed for the WU. With that said every cat on there goes in superbly vicious especially Deck opening and showing he has no rhyme rust. From there Raekwon takes us on a story driven lp that is like seeing Van Gogh or Andy Warhol making art while in the process life is going on that’s what “Pyrex Vision”, “Sonny’s Missing” and “Cold Outside” all mix together.

From the onset you feel the soul of this album almost from the start and it never stops with “Black Mozart” featuring RZA and Inspectah Deck to the “New Wu” back to “Gihad” all the way to “Surgical Gloves” it all sounds very cohesive never giving up the sound just satisfy the audience at any time. For the most part Rae sword is predominately on point without any sacrifices and makes the point specifically blank from the whole presentation of the LP that this is a real rap album not that “garbage” they be slinging over there.

Even with the varied produces from RZA to BT to Dr. Dre to Scram Jones to J Dilla the sound is purely solid and relentless that never gives up or puts in this sound just get this audience, which is something hip hop has been lacking lately. From the stories to pure lyrical slabs this joint is like food that taste great already that you cannot wait to eat, heads for a while have been starving for this type of rap. Overall surprise tracks like “Broken Safety”, “10 Bricks”, “Kiss the Ring”, “Fat Lady Sings” all show Raekwon’s swag and he’s backing all his claims up to the fullest this album doesn’t have flaws that stick out and if they do they’re so small you don’t even notice. I’m giving this album a coveted 4.5 out 5 on the basis this album will stand time and will be the classic it’s built to be. Just remember it was only built for Cuban linx.

4.5 OUT OF 5 (GIVE A FEW YEARS IT'LL BE A 5 OUT OF 5 SOON TO COME)

Jin10304
09-01-2009, 05:58 PM
So far some things Ive noticed...

House Of Flying Daggers is the original version with GZA doing the chorus in the beginning & after Raekwons verse

Sonnys Missing has a intro from The Killer

Gihad cut the intro movie sample "I know what I am, people look up to me, etc."

New Wu has a small beat drop in the beginning of Ghost's verse

Divine King
09-01-2009, 06:01 PM
9.5 outta 5

Ghost In The 'Lac
09-01-2009, 06:05 PM
http://wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80108

wheres hollow in this bitch lol, dudes are making threads allover this place

claaa7
09-01-2009, 06:23 PM
just finnished listening to the album, definitely a great LP but i'ma have to give it some more spins before i throw out a rating.

deeznutz1981
09-01-2009, 06:36 PM
reserved

Mcthuggin99
09-01-2009, 06:40 PM
10/10

there isnt a track i dont like on it

my faves: HOFD, Black Mozart, Gihad, Ason Jones, 10 Bricks, Catalina

Jin10304
09-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Broken Safety has another kung fu intro plus an outro

Have Mercy has another kung fu intro

We Will Rob You has a kung fu & Slick Rick intro ala Childrens Story

Sultan Stringer
09-01-2009, 06:43 PM
http://i43.tinypic.com/2vj7lw5.jpg

TRONIX
09-01-2009, 07:13 PM
I can honestly say that this is a weak album overall

There are only around 4 tracks that are good

House of Flying Dagger is easily the illest track on the album and 10 Bricks is ill even though its a re-used beat

The Dre tracks are terrible and Rae choose a weak Alchemist beat

The features are alright but nothing special and got to say Masta Killa spat the sickest verses and Ghost done his thing on a few tracks

After all the hype it really was not worth it. The beats lack creativity in that they are mostly too simple and dont have that Wu sound.

Even on the past few Ghost albums he at least had many dope beats so I think it all boils down to Rae having a really weak ear for beats

I think I will listen to the Memory Man mixtape for then this album

I would give this album a 6/10

Jin10304
09-01-2009, 07:18 PM
"The beats lack creativity in that they are mostly too simple and dont have that Wu sound."

Bullshit, how you say Godfather, Flyin Daggers & We Will Rob U arent Wu?

deeznutz1981
09-01-2009, 07:19 PM
I can honestly say that this is a weak album overall

There are only around 4 tracks that are good

House of Flying Dagger is easily the illest track on the album and 10 Bricks is ill even though its a re-used beat

The Dre tracks are terrible and Rae choose a weak Alchemist beat

The features are alright but nothing special and got to say Masta Killa spat the sickest verses and Ghost done his thing on a few tracks

After all the hype it really was not worth it. The beats lack creativity in that they are mostly too simple and dont have that Wu sound.

Even on the past few Ghost albums he at least had many dope beats so I think it all boils down to Rae having a really weak ear for beats

I think I will listen to the Memory Man mixtape for then this album

I would give this album a 6/10

wow your the only person i've read who didnt like this album. are you sure you ok? i'll get back to you once i actually hear the album and tell you how fuckin stupid you are

TRONIX
09-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Some of you hardcore Wu stans will find it hard to say something bad about the album because you was dickriding Rae for so long wishing it to be something it aint

Ghost In The 'Lac
09-01-2009, 07:38 PM
^stfu hater before your posts get deleted. im doubting youve even heard the album.

weak beats?

fuck outt here, EVERYONE was basically sceptical before tonight, now EVERYONE has bascially been amazed at what theyve heard

not just here, all over the internet places ive seen since it leaked

Jin10304
09-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Aint no dickriding here, the album does have its faults with some reused beats, plus Im not the biggest fan of the Dr. Dre beats. Sounds like everything hes produced for the past few years and About Me sounds like a Big Bang throwaway

shogun85
09-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Cuban Revolution came way harder than Cuban Linx II. I rather bump that Memory Man shit.

djskillz
09-02-2009, 01:55 AM
All I have to say is wow. This album really made my day. I couldn't have asked for anything better. 9/10. I honestly have no complaints for this album.

Literate Type Asshole
09-02-2009, 04:12 AM
really really great. very surprised at just how great. i could have done without the dre beats, but they arent bad by any means (id just have preferred a j dilla or rza or havoc type of sound). and really this album is great enough that you can easily accept the little bad parts because they get lost in a great whole, like the weaker tracks/cappa verses/skits on supreme clientele. or spot rusherz. like if you fall in love with someone, it probably isn't going to bother you all that much if they have a chipped tooth.

it doesnt just rehash cuban linx either, it has a much more explicit all-up-in-your-face 00s feel to it. if cuban linx was directed more like casino, cuban linx 2 is more like heat (and yeah i know heat was released the same year as the original cuban linx....man im tired)

oh, and i dont think it could be argued that in 2009 rae isnt several times the MC he was on the original cuban linx. the main argument you could make against the original cuban linx was that it wasnt really good because of rae, but because of the production and guests. not the case with cl2, quite the opposite

it's not saying a whole lot, but easily the best wu-related album since heavy mental that isn't a ghostface album. sorry i doubted you rae

definitely copping this on vinyl

MaskedAvenger
09-02-2009, 04:16 AM
This album is killer, how anybody can hate on this and claim to be a Wu fan is beyond me.

Jin10304
09-02-2009, 06:46 AM
Correct me if Im wrong but is that also Suga Bang Bang on Mean Streets singing the chorus?

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
09-02-2009, 12:07 PM
one of the best lp's to drop in the 2009 so far

Leo Angel
09-02-2009, 12:32 PM
OK, I'm listening to this album right now. Kiss The Ring, We Will Rob You, Ason Jones, About Me are superior/classic songs already, I can't wait to hear rest of the songs9:|6

Deity Allah
09-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Shit is average at best in to my ears.

Doesn't feel like a "Wu-Tang" Lp to me.

Too many beats that I have already been privy too.

I'll go further in depth once I touchback down from up out the plantation.

hide1998
09-02-2009, 02:24 PM

Welcome to the minority :cool:

claaa7
09-02-2009, 02:30 PM
^^ i have no doubt that this is the greatest album of the year.. easily surpasses the mainstream releases by Eminem and Jay-Z and it's a little above the crazy dope albums by Blaq Poet/DJ Premier and J Dilla/Pete Rock that dropped this year. listening to it for the 2nd time now, this time blasting it in speakers (had to have headphones yesterday) and all i gotto say is GODDAMN, rae is fucking BACK with this banger.. if it was a little shorter i would probably give it a 5/5 rating in a couple months.

Literate Type Asshole
09-02-2009, 06:18 PM
i dont know or care if this "feels like a wu-tang record" or not, i just know i love it. the wu sound has been so fractured and diversified so much that that's a meaningless statement. the pillage or dirty weaponry are probably the epitome of "feeling like a wu-tang record" and those albums are straight ass, so who the hell cares. there's not really any reason for this to be called cuban linx II, particularly as ghost isnt on it anywhere near as much as he was on the original and it just generally has a totally different feel from the original. as far as i'm concerned it's just a 2009 raekwon album, it feels like a 2009 raekwon album, and it's sick beyond my highest expectations

Deity Allah
09-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Ok, so upon further review, this shit still don't move me.

The best tracks on the album in my opinion are Surgical Gloves, Broken Safety & Have Mercy.

No one song though on the album gives me "goosebumps".

I actually prefer Trife's new album over this which is beyond disappointing.

Anyways,

House of Flying Daggers seems to lose some stream via the album version from the CDQ that leaked a couple of weeks ago.

Sonny's Missing is straight, but the fact that it's over the same beat my boy Royal Flush went in over the Pete Rock NY Finest Lp takes the element of "new" away from it. (The same goes for 10 Bricks = Division's "Brooklyn, Brooklyn", Pyrex Vision = O.C.'s "Jewelz", Canal Street & Baggin' Crack = "A beat I heard before but just can't place from where" & Fat Lady Sings = Memphis Bleek "Who's Sleeping".

As far as everything else, those tracks are just "ight".

Masta Killa has the best verse on the album in my opinion on we will Rob you

Walk me With Me sounds like it will be the best track out of the entire bunch when it is all said and done.

Just my opinion, but I'm glad the majority likes it.

Literate Type Asshole
09-02-2009, 06:31 PM
i can imagine how the album would be lessened in impact if you had heard a lot of the beats before. the only one of those i heard was o.c, never picked up that pete rock joint and dont fuck with the other two

o.c. is just the same sample though. i dont really understand how there's this law set in stone for hip hop that producers can't resell a beat, when rappers are apparently happy just being sold a beat which is essentially just a remake of someone else's. and funnily enough, the most obvious one i can remember was one step/dilated worst comes to worst, also produced in the form of a remake by alchemist (and then remade by at least two other people, one for ludacris and one for someone else). and the most famous case of a resold beat was also, guess who, alchemist (ras kass/jadakiss). and the most famous case of a producer getting pissed off about another producer remaking his beat was, guess who, alchemist (ra the rugged man claiming he ripped off his beat for royce's "i'm the king")

in conclusion, alchemist is a faggot and probably stole the forest and the hilton off of people too

Longbongcilvaringz
09-02-2009, 08:50 PM

Yeah pretty much.

Listening to it was an underwhelming experience and reminded me of why i never read anything posted in the wu forum.

I can't really understand how this is getting ratings up around 9/10, whatever though.

Obviously it's just me who feels that Rae can barely flow anymore, he barely bother to rhyme anything. Most tracks feel as though he recorded the vocal separately, and they were layed over the beat at a later stage.

Album starts off at a pretty pedestrian rate, never thought much of House Of Flying Daggers and Sonny's Missing isn't bad, but pretty boring track.

Pyrex Vision is dope, but it's pretty much an interlude though.

Cold Outside is ok, nothing special, the track doesn't really even start until 2 minutes into it. Ghost's flow is good, i've never been a fan of the whiny style he adopted post SC, but at least he sounds lively in comparison to Rae.

Black Mozart is the standout for me. The beat is brilliant, and carries the track. Again though, Rae is lacklustre. When INS verse came along though, it reminded me of why still bother checking for new wu. Shitty hook though.

Gihad is ok, but the beat sounds like mush. I won't bother talking about Rae's flow from here on in. New Wu is as boring as when i first heard it, Meth's verse is good though.

Penitentiary's dope.

Baggin Crack is good.

Surgical Gloves could have been worse, but the beat is a mess in a similar fashion to Gihad. Just a bunch of sounds dumped on top of each other to form an awkward track.

Broken Safety is ok, Jada's verse is a bit retarded, still not bad, but nothing i'd want to listen to more than a few times.

Canal Street is ok, again, very average beat.

Ason Jones is cool, laid back beat.

Have Mercy isn't bad, take Blue Raspberry off and it might have been better. Hearing a beat you've heard before doesn't make for a very interesting listening experience though, the sample is used well during the hook though.

10 Bricks is dope, Cappa's verse is good, he even manages to sound like he's not 50 years old.

Fat Lady Sings is awkward as hell.

Catalina isn't bad, once again, there's something bizarre about the beat, it's almost good, but falls down for some reason. Can't decide why exactly. Obligatory awful hook doesn't help.

We Will Rob You is good, (i'm not going to mention rae's flow again). GZA drops a good verse.

About Me is trash.

Mean Streets isn't terrible, but has some terrible elements. The first minute for instance.

I assume Kiss The Ring was supposed to be an elaborate conclusion, but yeah, doesn't hit the mark.

Overall

Not something i'll be listening to much. Black Mozart will get some spins, because the beat is great. Raekwon, in a way, is better than i thought he would be. Lyrically, it's a good album. His flow is all over the place unfortunately, and in combination with some equally all over the place beats, makes a lot of tracks sound awkward. Listening to an album having heard a handful of the beats/samples before decreases the enjoyment for me personally, so that was a minus in my books.

Right now, 6.5 or 7/10.

Hollow Dartz
09-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Oh well, you can't satisfy everyone. Have a good life. You still have the Pt. I anyways, throw that on. I don't think 5 copies are gonna effect Raekwon sales LOL.

portis24
09-02-2009, 09:28 PM
everybody has their own opinion i guess but it's crazy that a WU FAN doesn't like this

Longbongcilvaringz
09-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Who says i (or others that don't love it) don't like it?

It has it's moments, but is nothing special. Not a great move naming it OB4CL2 to me, as i, and some others probably, can't help but compare it to it's incomparable predecessor.

7/10 is a decent score as far as i'm concerned.

BRONZBODY
09-02-2009, 09:38 PM
as long as its better than lds im good. i absolutely loathe that album.

Hollow Dartz
09-02-2009, 10:04 PM
How are you gonna compare this to the original? This is 2009 a different time period, a different sound, updated music. I don't get some niggaz logic on here.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-02-2009, 10:07 PM
It can't be helped, he labeled it as a sequel, and attempted to capture a similar sound/theme/vibe.

Immobilarity is better than this, even though it had more shitty tracks, the best tracks were far better than pretty much anything on here (except Black Mozart & Pyrex Vision).

Anyway, i should probably stop posting in here before i get flamed off the site.

Just seems insane that people are slapping a 9/10 or even 10/10 rating on this.

SKANK HILL
09-02-2009, 10:20 PM
How are you gonna compare this to the original? This is 2009 a different time period, a different sound, updated music. I don't get some niggaz logic on here.

How the fuck don't you get the logic? He titled it "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx part 2" so how the fuck don't you understand comparisons? Do you sit there and say "Nah son, can't compare Back to the Future part 2 with part 1, different time frames yo." I really don't get how people like YOU say "Nah, can't compare, there is nothing to correlate between the two." Yeah, not a thing except for the title.

Anyway, this album was hyped by Rae himself as the greatest thing of all time and all the delays because "I want this shit to be ready, yahhhauhahdhahaha" and then I listen to it and it's nothing more than a nice album. He released this ten years too later.

7/10

Hollow Dartz
09-02-2009, 10:36 PM
How the fuck don't you get the logic? He titled it "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx part 2" so how the fuck don't you understand comparisons? Do you sit there and say "Nah son, can't compare Back to the Future part 2 with part 1, different time frames yo." I really don't get how people like YOU say "Nah, can't compare, there is nothing to correlate between the two." Yeah, not a thing except for the title.

Anyway, this album was hyped by Rae himself as the greatest thing of all time and all the delays because "I want this shit to be ready, yahhhauhahdhahaha" and then I listen to it and it's nothing more than a nice album. He released this ten years too later.

7/10

Exactly, this is a more mature version of Raekwon. Niggaz LIKE YOU compare Immobalarity with Cuban linx so i'm not tryna hear that shit. It's 2009, stop sobbing...

SKANK HILL
09-02-2009, 10:39 PM
LOL where did I ever compare Immboliarity to Cuban Linx?

WallyG
09-02-2009, 10:40 PM

7/10

My same thoughts too. I don't know if its because my taste in music has changed with me over the years lately, but nothing, NOTHING compares to the 90's hip hop man. I still opt to listen to pre-millenium tracks with little attention to music today. Supreme Clientele still the best solo wu album to drop since millenium, in my ears anyway. In fact, its gotten so bad i'm diggin 'Sexy Chick' - David Guetta & Akon. Seriously!

Longbongcilvaringz
09-02-2009, 10:43 PM
At least i'm not totally alone then.

Hollow Dartz
09-02-2009, 10:47 PM
^^^IDK there's some good shit dropping, Stop making yourself not like the music, the 90's isn't coming back, it's time we start moving hip-hop foward instead of trying to bring it back because you can't turn back time...There are some gems out here and yes i know 2005 was when the decline started but there are some gems 07-09 that have been dropping. I'll review this album 3 weeks after I get my copy, I hate when niggaz rate shit after 1 listen.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-02-2009, 10:48 PM
OB4CL was 9+/10 after 1 listen...

Still is.

Dissonance
09-02-2009, 11:03 PM
After listening to it infinite times I think it's a really nice album. It's not a classic bc calling something a classic before it's even out is retarded. It's not as great as people are claiming but it does basically live up to the hype. The one glaring problem is numerous beats that have been used. If you're going to claim you are making a classic and the sequel to OBFCL then it should be all original beats. Not including Dilla the situation bc that is understandable. Even with the reused beats it still comes off as a fine album

Return- Good to lettPoppa Wu continue from Northstar

House Of Flying Daggers-I love this track. Beat can understandably be grating to some but I like it, it just let's them spit hard. Meth absolutely kills it and as usual, gets taken for granted. If you don't like this than why do you listen to Wu?

Sonny's Missing- Never heard the Royal Flush joint, nice joint

Pyrex Vision-Nice song/interlude too bad it wasnt expanded

Cold Outside- I love Suga Bang Bang on it, I love Ghost and the song overall but with headphones some aspects of the beat can be grating at times

Black Mozart- Great great beat, Deck absolutely rips it. He's probably the greatest single verse rapper of all time, if only Rza started him off with beats on his first album.

Gihad- I like the beat nice track. Usually Ghost stupid sex rhymes derail a song but I actually like this one

New Wu- I love this song. Like Ice Cream it's a fun track to break up the drug shit but still fits the album

Penitentiary- This shit is crack. could have been on the first album

Baggin Crack- At first I thought it was boring but it's nice.

Surgical Gloves -Like the beat rae flows nice but it's a beat that people will love or hate

Broken Safety- SImple beat but good, they all mesh well on it

Canal Street- Fuck, everytime i listen to this I think of Petey Pablo and laugh

Ason Jones- Great tribute

Have Mercy- Average

10 Bricks- Used to not like the beat but it grew on me. They all come nice

Fat Lady Sings - Meh like the actual beat but it's wasted

Catalina- Simple piano loop but it's a nice joint

We Will Rob You- Love Gza's and Masta's verses, love Rick in the beginning but the hook is bad and beat is eh

About Me- horrible beat, Bustas verse is good

Mean Streets- Great track Deck strike again

Kiss The Ring- Really dissapointing. It's a good track but I expected more. If your gonna use a famous song sample then be creative, it's just a simple short loop

Is it a really good album? Yes. Is it the best Wu solo in awhile. Yes. Is it or will it be an absolute classic. No.

WallyG
09-02-2009, 11:11 PM
^^^IDK there's some good shit dropping, Stop making yourself not like the music, the 90's isn't coming back, it's time we start moving hip-hop foward instead of trying to bring it back because you can't turn back time...There are some gems out here and yes i know 2005 was when the decline started but there are some gems 07-09 that have been dropping. I'll review this album 3 weeks after I get my copy, I hate when niggaz rate shit after 1 listen.

Hip hop will always live, but the art will always be debatable. I just didn't feel satisfied upon first listen. It didn't shook me the way alot of other albums have in the past. When 8 Diagrams dropped, i actually enjoyed it after first listen. OB4CL2 is not horrible, but its not great. It's just nice.

Hollow Dartz
09-02-2009, 11:23 PM
I can respect that, I don't want ppl thinking I'm getting mad because they don't like the new LP. I'm just saying, give it a few listens before you give it a rating, there's alot of shit I might pop in a month later and find some gems on it. I respect all opinion in here though. Let's keep the discussion civil LOL.

J-Cee
09-02-2009, 11:28 PM
fuckin sick sick sick..worth the wait no doubt.
bangin album..he done it...

J-Cee
09-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Raes grown as an artist,if ur expectin to sound like some 90's shit/Cuban linx 1..then ur foolin yaself..shits dope,dont give a fuck...

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
09-03-2009, 12:37 AM
it's crazy songs like "We Will Rob You" and "Kiss the Ring" shine brighter like second or 3rd or i'm on my 7th, 8th listen n shit can't put dis shit down it's like some shit i've been missing nah mean. i love how MK's flow is still so smooth and flow so well, i dunno son needs to drop something new.

Khem The Decepticon
09-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Wait for the CD to come out.

MaskedAvenger
09-03-2009, 01:51 AM
This album is dope as fuck, I know everyone has different opinions and that's cool but seriously if you don't like this then you might as well not even bother listening to anything Wu related that comes out. Maybe I'm just too old school but back in the day we just listened to albums and appreciated them and didn't bitch about the littlest of details. If something was wack we just pushed it aside and didn't go around bitching about it. Some of the minor details these cats have complained about is ridiculous.

hide1998
09-03-2009, 02:00 AM
This album is dope as fuck, I know everyone has different opinions and that's cool but seriously if you don't like this then you might as well not even bother listening to anything Wu related that comes out. Maybe I'm just too old school but back in the day we just listened to albums and appreciated them and didn't bitch about the littlest of details. If something was wack we just pushed it aside and didn't go around bitching about it. Some of the minor details these cats have complained about is ridiculous.

Co-sign completely.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-03-2009, 02:14 AM

So according to you, there is no middle ground between "dope as fuck" and "wack"?

And you might have a point with "you might as well not even bother listening to anything Wu related that comes out".

SKANK HILL
09-03-2009, 03:10 AM

What in the flying fuck does all that have to do with anything? The 90's aren't coming back? Thanks scoop! What's next?

MaskedAvenger
09-03-2009, 08:18 AM
So according to you, there is no middle ground between "dope as fuck" and "wack"?

And you might have a point with "you might as well not even bother listening to anything Wu related that comes out".

All I'm saying is this albums is about as good as it gets from the Wu in 2009, just enjoy the fucking album and stop bickering over minor details.

Hollow Dartz
09-03-2009, 08:58 AM
What in the flying fuck does all that have to do with anything? The 90's aren't coming back? Thanks scoop! What's next?
Your lost, find yourself.

deeznutz1981
09-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Yeah pretty much.

Listening to it was an underwhelming experience and reminded me of why i never read anything posted in the wu forum.

I can't really understand how this is getting ratings up around 9/10, whatever though.

Obviously it's just me who feels that Rae can barely flow anymore, he barely bother to rhyme anything. Most tracks feel as though he recorded the vocal separately, and they were layed over the beat at a later stage.

Album starts off at a pretty pedestrian rate, never thought much of House Of Flying Daggers and Sonny's Missing isn't bad, but pretty boring track.

Pyrex Vision is dope, but it's pretty much an interlude though.

Cold Outside is ok, nothing special, the track doesn't really even start until 2 minutes into it. Ghost's flow is good, i've never been a fan of the whiny style he adopted post SC, but at least he sounds lively in comparison to Rae.

Black Mozart is the standout for me. The beat is brilliant, and carries the track. Again though, Rae is lacklustre. When INS verse came along though, it reminded me of why still bother checking for new wu. Shitty hook though.

Gihad is ok, but the beat sounds like mush. I won't bother talking about Rae's flow from here on in. New Wu is as boring as when i first heard it, Meth's verse is good though.

Penitentiary's dope.

Baggin Crack is good.

Surgical Gloves could have been worse, but the beat is a mess in a similar fashion to Gihad. Just a bunch of sounds dumped on top of each other to form an awkward track.

Broken Safety is ok, Jada's verse is a bit retarded, still not bad, but nothing i'd want to listen to more than a few times.

Canal Street is ok, again, very average beat.

Ason Jones is cool, laid back beat.

Have Mercy isn't bad, take Blue Raspberry off and it might have been better. Hearing a beat you've heard before doesn't make for a very interesting listening experience though, the sample is used well during the hook though.

10 Bricks is dope, Cappa's verse is good, he even manages to sound like he's not 50 years old.

Fat Lady Sings is awkward as hell.

Catalina isn't bad, once again, there's something bizarre about the beat, it's almost good, but falls down for some reason. Can't decide why exactly. Obligatory awful hook doesn't help.

We Will Rob You is good, (i'm not going to mention rae's flow again). GZA drops a good verse.

About Me is trash.

Mean Streets isn't terrible, but has some terrible elements. The first minute for instance.

I assume Kiss The Ring was supposed to be an elaborate conclusion, but yeah, doesn't hit the mark.

Overall

Not something i'll be listening to much. Black Mozart will get some spins, because the beat is great. Raekwon, in a way, is better than i thought he would be. Lyrically, it's a good album. His flow is all over the place unfortunately, and in combination with some equally all over the place beats, makes a lot of tracks sound awkward. Listening to an album having heard a handful of the beats/samples before decreases the enjoyment for me personally, so that was a minus in my books.

Right now, 6.5 or 7/10.

so you have heard the album? you said in another thread that you actually havent heard it yet and are just pretending you did to bash the album. which is it???

Longbongcilvaringz
09-03-2009, 11:45 AM
What's it to you?

deeznutz1981
09-03-2009, 01:29 PM
What's it to you?

oh it nothin to me if you havent heard the album yet your rating it and bashing it. that just means your a retard whos opinion means nothin.

Tecknowledgist
09-03-2009, 02:32 PM
if you want to go ahead and compare the albums, being disappointed that this isnt the best album in the last 15 years, go for it. thats your choice

just understand, you're only ruining it for yourself. thats just ruining a good listening experience.

like duke said, if you dont like this album, just quit. THIS IS THE BEST WU-TANG ALBUM YOU'RE LIKELY TO EVER HEAR AGAIN

this is a great album. period. take it as such.

the silencer
09-04-2009, 01:04 AM
i've been bumpin this shit since about 10 this morning, over and over all day doing my errands and shit...

and i am LOVING this fucking album...i'm actually totally surprised at how dope it is, i didn't think i'd like it this much..

i don't wanna begin comparing it with Pt 1 but listening to it so much i really get that criminal cinematic feel real heavily throughout...so much crazy imagery and scenes drawn on this album..

and i didn't like House of Flying Daggers that much when it first dropped but for some reason i fuckin love it on here..

and Ason Jones is SIIIIIIIIIIICK...

whenever i get the chance to review it, i'm gonna have ALOT to say about this bangin ass album

J-DON
09-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Alright time for a Track By Track HONEST NO DICKRIDING REVIEW

1.Return of the North Star -N/A- Not going to rate. Too bad Rae doesn't have a verse.

2.House of the Flying Daggers - 8.5/10 -Dope track. I wish it had some hard drums on it but honestly its great. Meth kills it on this one with the "scarred for life, these niggas cant forget the cuts" line.

3.Sonny's Missing - 9/10 - I always thought Royal Flush was wack on this beat. Rae came through with the gritty crime drama and it just works amazingly. I know hearing an old beat takes away from it but the beat is just fucking dope as shit.

4.Pyrex Vision - 10/10 - Perfect interlude track. Rae's sleepy flow is effective here because it sounds like hes dazed by the fumes of the crack boiling on the stove.

5.Cold Outside -8/10 - This track would be perfect if Suga Bang didnt sing for too long in the beginning. Ghost's verse is one of his most memorable verses in years.

6.Black Mozart - 7.5/10 - I know you guys are going freak out at the score but honestly RZA could have come alot harder and kinda takes away points when he comes in vocally for a bridge nobody asked for.

7.Gihad - 7.5/10 - Tight beat and I love Rae's verse but Ghostface kinda ruins the track to me. He comes in off topic with a verse about fucking his son's bitch to teach him a lesson... makes me say "wtf" to myself every time I listen to it.

8.New Wu - 10/10 - Straight wu banger, couldnt have been done any better to me.

9.Penitentiary -9/10- Amazing track. Great concept executed very well. Beat brings tension to the stories.

10.Baggin Crack -8/10- Sick beat by Eric Sermon here and it fits Rae perfectly and doesnt overstay its welcome.

11.Surgical Gloves -10/10- Alchemist is untouchable right now. Really picks up on the second verse.

12.Broken Safety -10/10- Insane collabo. The chemistry on this track is WILD.

13.Canal Street -9/10- this shit is so grimey. A tale about their fathers putting in work in the 60s. Really gives you that old black mobster flick feeling

14.Ason Jones -10/10- At first I thought this track was kind of boring but lyrically there could not be a better tribute to O.D.B. Rae really came from the heart here.

15.Have Mercy -8.5/10- Great song about being in the bing. I can forgive Blue Rasperry for sounding a bit off key on certain parts.

16.10 Bricks -10/10- OMG SO BANGING. Probably best track on the whole album. This beat makes me spazz out!

17.Fat Lady Sings -9/10- Great track. Another gritty street tale and you really feel it when the vocal sample comes in. If I were executive producer I would have wrapped up the album right here.

18.Catalina -6/10- here is the albums first true snoozer. Generic latino beat that you would hear circa 2001 and maybe vibe out to but it just isnt poppin for me right now.

19.We Will Rob You -6/10- Another Mis-Step. Slick Rick sounds awful and the beat really isnt cutting it.

20.About Me -8/10- Cool track. Busta sounds like he tried to deliver the best shit he could and I give him props for it. Beat is cool too. Wouldve thrown this earlier in the album though because it gets dragged down a bit by the two mediocre joints its sandwiched inbetween.

21.Mean Streets - 5/10 - I really hate the singing on this track and cant listen to it.

22.Kiss The Ring - 8/10 - Good song. Deck shows he can come up with a tight hook. Masta Killa is kind of boring here, beat is too live for MK. Elton John sample btw.

OVERALL 8.5/10

This is an album where the sum is greater than its parts. There are only a couple of tracks I bump on their own (namely Surgical Gloves, Broken Safety, and 10 Bricks) If the album cut off after fat lady sings id give it a 9.5 no problem. The first 17 tracks are sequenced perfectly and provides for a very satisfying listen. Raekwon exceeded my expectations and for that I thank him for taking his time and doing his best.

For a Custom CL2 I say swap "About Me" with "Gihad", get rid of "Gihad" and throw "Kiss The Ring" before "Fat Lady Sings" and get rid of everything after "Fat Lady Sings".

Crackhead Bob
09-04-2009, 05:07 PM
A couple of things

7.Gihad - 7.5/10 - Tight beat and I love Rae's verse but Ghostface kinda ruins the track to me. He comes in off topic with a verse about fucking his son's bitch to teach him a lesson... makes me say "wtf" to myself every time I listen to it.

You are taking the word son too literally, there is no way Ghost's son is 25.

21.Mean Streets - 5/10 - I really hate the singing on this track and cant listen to it.

That's really too bad because you are missing really special lyrics, especially by Deck.

MaskedAvenger
09-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Alright time for a Track By Track HONEST NO DICKRIDING REVIEW

1.Return of the North Star -N/A- Not going to rate. Too bad Rae doesn't have a verse.

2.House of the Flying Daggers - 8.5/10 -Dope track. I wish it had some hard drums on it but honestly its great. Meth kills it on this one with the "scarred for life, these niggas cant forget the cuts" line.

3.Sonny's Missing - 9/10 - I always thought Royal Flush was wack on this beat. Rae came through with the gritty crime drama and it just works amazingly. I know hearing an old beat takes away from it but the beat is just fucking dope as shit.

4.Pyrex Vision - 10/10 - Perfect interlude track. Rae's sleepy flow is effective here because it sounds like hes dazed by the fumes of the crack boiling on the stove.

5.Cold Outside -8/10 - This track would be perfect if Suga Bang didnt sing for too long in the beginning. Ghost's verse is one of his most memorable verses in years.

6.Black Mozart - 7.5/10 - I know you guys are going freak out at the score but honestly RZA could have come alot harder and kinda takes away points when he comes in vocally for a bridge nobody asked for.

8.New Wu - 10/10 - Straight wu banger, couldnt have been done any better to me.

9.Penitentiary -9/10- Amazing track. Great concept executed very well. Beat brings tension to the stories.

10.Baggin Crack -8/10- Sick beat by Eric Sermon here and it fits Rae perfectly and doesnt overstay its welcome.

11.Surgical Gloves -10/10- Alchemist is untouchable right now. Really picks up on the second verse.

12.Broken Safety -10/10- Insane collabo. The chemistry on this track is WILD.

13.Canal Street -9/10- this shit is so grimey. A tale about their fathers putting in work in the 60s. Really gives you that old black mobster flick feeling

14.Ason Jones -10/10- At first I thought this track was kind of boring but lyrically there could not be a better tribute to O.D.B. Rae really came from the heart here.

15.Have Mercy -8.5/10- Great song about being in the bing. I can forgive Blue Rasperry for sounding a bit off key on certain parts.

16.10 Bricks -10/10- OMG SO BANGING. Probably best track on the whole album. This beat makes me spazz out!

17.Fat Lady Sings -9/10- Great track. Another gritty street tale and you really feel it when the vocal sample comes in. If I were executive producer I would have wrapped up the album right here.

18.Catalina -6/10- here is the albums first true snoozer. Generic latino beat that you would hear circa 2001 and maybe vibe out to but it just isnt poppin for me right now.

19.We Will Rob You -6/10- Another Mis-Step. Slick Rick sounds awful and the beat really isnt cutting it.

20.About Me -8/10- Cool track. Busta sounds like he tried to deliver the best shit he could and I give him props for it. Beat is cool too. Wouldve thrown this earlier in the album though because it gets dragged down a bit by the two mediocre joints its sandwiched inbetween.

22.Kiss The Ring - 8/10 - Good song. Deck shows he can come up with a tight hook. Masta Killa is kind of boring here, beat is too live for MK. Elton John sample btw.

OVERALL 8.5/10

This is an album where the sum is greater than its parts. There are only a couple of tracks I bump on their own (namely Surgical Gloves, Broken Safety, and 10 Bricks) If the album cut off after fat lady sings id give it a 9.5 no problem. The first 17 tracks are sequenced perfectly and provides for a very satisfying listen. Raekwon exceeded my expectations and for that I thank him for taking his time and doing his best.

For a Custom CL2 I say swap "About Me" with "Gihad", get rid of "Gihad" and throw "Kiss The Ring" before "Fat Lady Sings" and get rid of everything after "Fat Lady Sings".

Nice review except I disagree about RZA's bridge, I rate it and I think the beat is perfect

duotone
09-05-2009, 12:43 PM
oh my god...
i'm very impatient to get that album...
i wont load it... i only know new wu and house of flying daggers...
i just wait for santa "amazon" clause comin to my house and throw a little box in my smokestack on september 11th (european release date)

DRUNKENARTS
09-07-2009, 05:47 AM
thats me on my first listen of this,its worth the wait,loving it so far,cant wait to see how it is months/years from now,well dun chef!

P.R. Terrorist
09-08-2009, 01:07 AM
10/10

Longbongcilvaringz
09-08-2009, 12:12 PM
A couple of things

You are taking the word son too literally, there is no way Ghost's son is 25.

Don't try and correct people when you are clearly misguided and clutching at straws.

He is talking about his son, he's obviously speaking in the past tense, i don't know why you're assuming it's in the present.

There are no lyrics to suggest he isn't talking about his son literally, and many to suggest he is.

Crackhead Bob
09-09-2009, 01:24 PM
you're fucking kidding right?

Pat I don't really care how smart you think you are. Don't try and correct me, ever. I stay out of your business so stay the fuck out of mine. What you just said is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

the silencer
09-09-2009, 01:54 PM
why is the poll not working??

at first i thought it was cuz the album hadn't dropped yet but.......time to fix it

wuswordz95
09-09-2009, 03:40 PM
i dont like the catalina song reminds me of that 50 cent club joint back in 01.

noel411
09-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Like the majority of good modern hip hop albums, this album is ruined by being far too long. The first 3rd or so is great, and as I was listening to it for the first time I thought the Wu had really come up with a winner here. Then boom, there's about 20 minutes straight of filler. Completely ruins the album for me and instantly dismisses any possibility of it being a truly great album. The final 3rd or so of the album is made up of a few great tracks, some good ones, and some more filler. All in all there is at least half an hour of filler on this album. From what I recall the album is about 70 mins. Cut out that half hour of filler and you have 40 mins of great tracks. A perfect length for an album imo. Could have been a possible classic if they'd done that. I for one am just not interested in listening to an hour + of music of which a good percentage is uninspired and forgettable. And as I am a person who enjoys actual albums rather than individual tracks, or partial albums, this album fails me in that regard, and will soon be forgotten along with the rest of the last 5 odd years of hip hop I've heard.

Great hip hop albums don't exist anymore. This isn't worthy of the title "Cuban Linx II" imo. It is not the cohesive project the original album was. It's not even close. The first album was long too, but every track was a relevant and worthy part of a brilliant whole. This album is littered with filler that breaks up the parts of the album in which momentum is built. People aren't interested in making actual albums anymore. They just wanna record as many tracks as they can with as many important mc's and producers as they can, then throw them together and call it an album. Or a mixtape if it really fails to come together. This album obviously has direction and a lot of it was clearly intended to come together as an album. It just suffers from all the other shit that was thrown in the mix.

Still, it is probably the best Wu solo in several years. Probably as far back as No Said Date and possibly even further back. It's a very good album which could have been great. A pity, but at least it does offer a lot of memorable tracks.

Konii blaze
09-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Like the majority of good modern hip hop albums, this album is ruined by being far too long. The first 3rd or so is great, and as I was listening to it for the first time I thought the Wu had really come up with a winner here. Then boom, there's about 20 minutes straight of filler. Completely ruins the album for me and instantly dismisses any possibility of it being a truly great album. The final 3rd or so of the album is made up of a few great tracks, some good ones, and some more filler. All in all there is at least half an hour of filler on this album. From what I recall the album is about 70 mins. Cut out that half hour of filler and you have 40 mins of great tracks. A perfect length for an album imo. Could have been a possible classic if they'd done that. I for one am just not interested in listening to an hour + of music of which a good percentage is uninspired and forgettable. And as I am a person who enjoys actual albums rather than individual tracks, or partial albums, this album fails me in that regard, and will soon be forgotten along with the rest of the last 5 odd years of hip hop I've heard.

Great hip hop albums don't exist anymore. This isn't worthy of the title "Cuban Linx II" imo. It is not the cohesive project the original album was. It's not even close. The first album was long too, but every track was a relevant and worthy part of a brilliant whole. This album is littered with filler that breaks up the parts of the album in which momentum is built. People aren't interested in making actual albums anymore. They just wanna record as many tracks as they can with as many important mc's and producers as they can, then throw them together and call it an album. Or a mixtape if it really fails to come together. This album obviously has direction and a lot of it was clearly intended to come together as an album. It just suffers from all the other shit that was thrown in the mix.

Still, it is probably the best Wu solo in several years. Probably as far back as No Said Date and possibly even further back. It's a very good album which could have been great. A pity, but at least it does offer a lot of memorable tracks.

too long? lol

Hollow Dartz
09-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Poll is back. My bad

Crackhead Bob
09-10-2009, 11:00 AM
People need to stop using the word filler, when it's obvious they don't know what it means.

Cappadonna36
09-10-2009, 07:42 PM
who is allah justice?

UNCLE RUCKUS
09-10-2009, 08:10 PM
who is allah justice?
Gza

Cappadonna36
09-10-2009, 08:12 PM
so GZA produced that song on there?

UNCLE RUCKUS
09-10-2009, 08:19 PM
We Will Rob You? That was produced by Karim, The Gza's son

11th Chamber
09-10-2009, 09:10 PM
This is why you dont make an album review thread a month and a half before an album drops. You get like 8 pages with only a few actual reviews. This is nothing more than a CL2 discussion thread.

People were so fuckin quick to "reserve their spot" a month ago, then proceed to forget about it, so we have pages of empty posts.

Mista JpKoff
09-11-2009, 06:40 AM
People need to stop using the word filler, when it's obvious they don't know what it means.

you are taking the word filler too literally

J-DON
09-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I also think the album is a bit too long. Honestly everything after Fat Lady Sings except Kiss the Ring is completely unnecessary.

Jin10304
09-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Disagree, Kareem Khan is such an ill robbery story tellin' track minus the hook

claaa7
09-11-2009, 04:30 PM
^^ nah that shit is fucking CRAZY all the way round, including the hook... 5/5 song no doubt - beat is rock hard, Rae, GZA and Masta Killa do it more than justice and GZA is even iller than we heard him in a long time. chorus by Slick Rick is funny as shit but actually works in my ears.

Jin10304
09-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Naw sorry that hook is straight whack, detracts from the song so much.

"GZA is even iller than we heard him in a long time."

Yeah thats because it was recorded in 2005/2006. I can 99% guarantee you GZA's verse wouldnt been as ill if it was recorded by 2008 Pro Tools GZA

Wu-Fam Specializt
09-11-2009, 05:32 PM
I been a Wu fan for 14 years and I'm as impressed as I ever been right now. This shit is fuckin fuego. The production, Rae's flow, the features were all strong. These are the beats Rae devours right here, those dark, slow, gritty East Coast type shits. The God Raekwon is back heavy on this one. That's what's good Rae! I'm sayin... beyond my expectations homie.

09-12-2009, 06:55 AM
4,5/5 right now, 5/5 in a few weeks/months/years.

superchargedkangols
09-12-2009, 10:36 AM
1) North Star Intro - Amazing intro, poppa wu reminds Rae to watch out out for the liars and cheaters.

2) House Of Flying Daggers - 5/5

3) Sonny's Missing - 5/5

4) Pyrex Vision - 5/5

5) Cold Outside - 4/5

6) Black Mozart - 5/5

7) Jihad - 5/5

8) New Wu - 5/5

9) Penitentiary - 5/5

10) Bagging Crack - 5/5

11) Surgical Gloves - 5/5...8 Million stories!! (he also mentions this in the starting of Sonny's missing)

12) Broken Safety - 5/5

13) Canal Street - 4/5

14) Ason Jones - 5/5

15) Have Mercy - 3.5/5

16) 10 Bricks - 5/5

17) Fat Lady Sings - 5/5

18) Catalina - 5/5

19) We Will Rob You - 3.5/5

20) About Me - 5/5

21) Mean Streets - 5/5

22) Kiss The Ring - 3.5/5

famenchuan
09-12-2009, 12:42 PM
just got my copy today in the mail. Heard a lot of the tracks already though. Listened to the album all the way through. There are a bunch of joints that are really ill but the album as a whole is very poorly produced and arranged.

fav tracks
gihad
new wu
walk with me (i got the european version)
sonny's missing
ason jones

claaa7
09-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Yeah thats because it was recorded in 2005/2006. I can 99% guarantee you GZA's verse wouldnt been as ill if it was recorded by 2008 Pro Tools GZA

yeah this is true, but still i think that verse is probably better and more energic than anything on "Grandmasters" too although GZA was stiill dope on that album.

fortyglock
09-12-2009, 06:34 PM
^ Hearing the original tracks, such as We Will Rob You, Secret Idictment (Black Mozart), New Wu, State Of Grace has definitely got me wondering what the 2005/2006 version sounded like, which was supposed to have Deck n GZA as co-stars.

Gravedigga_nigga
09-12-2009, 06:45 PM
I didn't like it at first, but now it's at least 8.5 or 9 out of 10.

This album really grows on you.

the silencer
09-13-2009, 05:33 AM
I didn't like it at first, but now it's at least 8.5 or 9 out of 10.

This album really grows on you.
def grows on you, cuz it takes like 3 or 4 listens til you realize alotta the shit Rae is saying, he paints such ridiculous pictures on almost every line--perfect example, and i been listening to this album for over a week now, i just caught this on Surgical Gloves "Gold tuba from Bermuda in my livingroom spreads"
not only vivid, but hilarious.....that's Rae

i fucking love this album and i ain't gonna write a full review for an epic like this until it's fully sunk in (and i'm properly blazed)...that'll be soon

claaa7
09-13-2009, 10:33 AM
^ Hearing the original tracks, such as We Will Rob You, Secret Idictment (Black Mozart), New Wu, State Of Grace has definitely got me wondering what the 2005/2006 version sounded like, which was supposed to have Deck n GZA as co-stars.

u sure that "Secret Indictment" and 'Black Mozart' are the same joint, never thought off that... "Thug World" was also from those sessions and was planned for OB4CL2 too, i found an article from February 2006 where Rae said the album was 98% done.

Jin10304
09-13-2009, 03:44 PM
"u sure that "Secret Indictment" and 'Black Mozart' are the same joint, never thought off that... "

Pretty sure, Secret Indictment was to be the "next single" after State Of Grace from 2005/2006 Corp Update on CL2. It was originally a Raekwon solo produced by RZA just like SOG, he even mentions the original track title in the beginning of Black Mozart.

"which was supposed to have Deck n GZA as co-stars. "

I really would of been down to hear that version of the album. Having Rollie Fingers & Maximillion as the major co-stars instead of Tony Starks, especially with how GZA was spitting in 05/06 like on We Will Rob You, would of been sick. I mean even not having Tony all over CL2 doesnt bring it down at all and hes on 8 tracks outta 23. Originally Deck was also supposed to be on 6 songs for CL2, he got reduced to 4 and one of the cut songs was Rockstars with GZA so theres another CL2 song out there with his 6th featuring.

claaa7
09-13-2009, 04:07 PM
^^ "Thug World" is the 6th INS feature i guess.

Poetic Wun
09-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Relative to recent Wu albums, this is a bangin album. very well done.
Relative to all Raekwon albums, this is his 2nd best tape.
Relative to recent music (the Hollow theory) this is one of the best tapes i've heard in years. Not THE best but up there.

Raekwon is my least-liked outta the W embassy. To generalize this as being the epitome of Wu Tang sound and if you don't like this then don't listen to any Wu albums is ridiculous.

NSD is one of my favorite albums. I still spin IRONMAN before ever putting on OB4CL. Rae's style just isn't for me. that doesn't mean i don't give respect where respect is due. i think he's probably the illest LYRICALLY outta the clan but i prefer Meth or GFK.

i think this is a well put together album. Rae doesn't at all sound like he put this album out just because he can or as if he had to. this entire album sounds like he needed this. like he was waiting for this album himself.
He did a great job and i definitely think music needed this. i hope this vamps other niggas up to actually make that raw shit and not just title their next album Pt. ?? just to push sales (Jay-Z).

i put this on every now and then and the rest of the features came with it as well (save Busta).

i gave it a superior rating.
this album is bonkers for Rae. Despite the fact i don't care much for his style i always cop his shit but this was definitely worth the purchase.

lol i tried being as fair as i could... i guess i just prefer to watch Drunken Master or Foxy Brown before i feel like watching Scarface.

Jin10304
09-13-2009, 07:53 PM
"^^ "Thug World" is the 6th INS feature i guess. "

But wasnt it originally just a Raekwon solo? Thats what it was listed as in the SCRATCH Article. I thought RZA & Decks verses were added just for 8D, plus why would Deck say 6 tracks if he already knew one of them already manifested on 8D?.

RynMur
09-15-2009, 05:58 AM
This album gets more appreciation on other hip hop sites than the wu-corp...haha that's typical. 3 years from now, all these people hating will eventually come to liking it and notice that were overdoing the nitpicking.

This is no doubt the best album of 2009 (so far). There was no skip tricks, and what most people called filler is still solid. Plus, there is ATLEAST ten standouts, which seems impossible for this decade.

The biggest suprise I found to this album was the production. The chef came up with an legendary hip hop lineup. No wonder this album took a while to be released. These are top notch beats. Although, I wasn’t feeling Catalina that much. I felt Dre used the same piano type beat that was on P.I.M.P; he just changed the loop. The concept stayed on point throughout the album and kept it balanced and mafioso like. Furthermore, the storytelling rhymes brought everything together. Rae and almost all of the guest appearances brought some of their nicest (raw & rugged) rhymes.

Anyways, I advise all true hip hop heads to pick this up. You won’t be dissapointed. Just listen to it instead of hearing it.

Top 5: House Of Flying Daggers, Cold Outside (fav), New Wu, Ason Jones, Walk Wit Me

Grade: (4.7/5) A

Mista JpKoff
09-15-2009, 06:11 AM
so lets go for a quick track by track

1) North Star Intro
2) House Of Flying Daggers - 5/5 flawless wu-banger
3) Sonny's Missing - 4/5 ultra dope story, dope beat, avg flow
4) Pyrex Vision - 4.5/5 that drug stuff... amazing
5) Cold Outside - 3.5/5 i'm usually a fan of suga bang hooks but here i dont like it at all... the beat is lackluster too
6) Black Mozart - 5/5 great track, love that rza bridge, rae & deck come off dope
7) Jihad - 5/5 one of my favorite joints too, ill beat and a crazy ghost verse
8) New Wu - 5/5 this one grew on me like exponentially... rae's verse isnt as good as ghosts and meths but its still dope as fuck.
9) Penitentiary - 4/5 ill story, not so ill beat
10) Bagging Crack - 4.5/5 love this shit, 2 minutes was the perfect length for this song
11) Surgical Gloves - 3.5/5 again, ill story, too bad that the flow doesnt match this greatness. not a fan of the beat neither but i can fuck with it
12) Broken Safety - 4/5 good stuff
13) Canal Street - 3/5 boooring, an example of a bad use of a dope sample
14) Ason Jones - 4.5/5 tight, emotional
15) Have Mercy - 4/5 weird mixing of the song (blue rasperrys vocals for instance), couldve been off the hook and ends up just good
16) 10 Bricks - 5/5 another flawless wu-banger
17) Fat Lady Sings - 4/5 short and tight
18) Catalina - 4/5 typical...
19) We Will Rob You - 4.5/5 like most ppl the hook is a bit painful to me, other than that, thats a wu-banger
20) About Me - 4.5/5 real dope track, better than the rae joint on big bang but it doesnt really fit, couldve been an ill bonus track if they swapped this and walk with me
21) Mean Streets - 3.5/5 same remark as cold outside
22) Kiss The Ring - 3/5 cant stand this beat... seems some pedophile music to me, dont ask why... terrible way to end the album imo

overall im really amazed at raes lyrics and the quality of the guest verses. not so impressed by raes flow... on some occasions his laziness fits the track perfectly, on some other occasions it only becomes boring after a while. The beat selection is aight... outstanding compared to immobilarity and lex diamond story, but it clearly couldve been better. good points : the dilla joints, the rza joints, necro, sermon, pete rock, marley marl... the rest isnt that great...
i really like this album, now im just trying to get my hands on the uk version... who could say no to two bonus track, especially when one of them is walk with me... i dont want my copy to end with kiss the ring which is maybe the only song i cant stand regardless of the amazing lineup...

JerseyIronman
09-15-2009, 06:43 PM
i got to write a review here very soon. best Wu album since SC i think.

claaa7
09-16-2009, 04:10 AM
damn this album really reminds me of why i fell in love with wu to begin with (no homo).. "We Will Rob You" and "New Wu" is the fucking anthems of the year, goddamn - every joint on this shit is hot to death, salute to Rae for taking his time and really trying to serve his fans because the customer is always right, right.

Hollow Dartz
09-16-2009, 08:21 PM
damn this album really reminds me of why i fell in love with wu to begin with (no homo).. "We Will Rob You" and "New Wu" is the fucking anthems of the year, goddamn - every joint on this shit is hot to death, salute to Rae for taking his time and really trying to serve his fans because the customer is always right, right.
New Wu is my new ringtone. That's my shit.

12weLvE
09-16-2009, 08:56 PM
22) kiss the ring - 3/5 cant stand this beat... seems some pedophile music to me, dont ask why... Terrible way to end the album imo

lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

angry!
09-17-2009, 10:19 PM
ob4cl part deux is an instant classic. i felt this way the first time i heard it and i feel this way today. this album made me feel like a kid again,

theres always gonna be nitpickers bitchin about reused samples or a misplaced hi hat, but there should be no denying ob4cl 2 is a high grade product!!! the lyrics are top notch, the flows are masterful and varied, vocal quality is high, and the beats are bangin!!!

pick any verse off the joint, and if you have half an imagination youll be able to visualize the scene that raes playing out on the pen. for example, raes verse on mean streets...

"Rembrandts is fresh from Scotland, crisp hats, Cristal bottles
Niggaz want the problems, we back
It's time to take over the game, it's nothing
I live on the line, from corner to castles with pawns and capsules"

for all the generic street rap that gets played out, rae and co prove nothins better than a good old fashioned crime epic. raes on some martin scorcese shit here, his performance should not get downplayed. some of the strongest showings of his career!!!

the guest appearences are handeled flawlessly, jada, styles, beanie, and the clan all bring it!!! especially this one dude ghostface!!!!

any track ghost is on here is getting burned!!! no one is spitting with as much tenactiy and passion as ghost right now, plus add the fact hes a visual storyteller with topics for days!!! the fact ghost is spitting this hard at this stage of his career, its straight awe inspiring!!!!

"penetentiary" is one of the hardest rae and ghost tracks ive ever heard, you can see the story play out and the creativity behind the track shows why rae and ghost are one of the best duos in rap.

deck and meth both added some classic verses to their catalogue with this joint as well.

never forget, that at the end of the day, hip hop is beats and rhymes. ob4cl 2 provides this at the highest level, and more. highly cinematic lyrics over banging beats!!! every track is a movie in itself and the shit deserves the highest praise a cd can get. the span of time between the two is immense, but played side by side they sound a part of one. rae made his godfather 2!!!!

5 mics - 10/10 whatever you wanna call it. inspiring release. big ups rae, you did it homie!!!!

Tony Kipriani
09-18-2009, 03:58 AM
dope album i luv it!
best rap album 2009

favourite Track: cold outside... awesome

9/10

V1LLAIN
09-18-2009, 05:05 AM
Dope album far from a classic tho. Alot of terrible beats and wack corny hooks kill this album. Needed more RZA beats ....BANGER

num2son
09-18-2009, 09:45 AM
..Needed more RZA beats ....BANGER

I thought the album was going to be filled with rza beats...guess not.

I thought the album was good, I'm surprise my self that I wasn't wowed by this album. Also to many producers on it.

Overall - 3/5

Favorite tracks:
House of flying daggers
Pyrex Vision
New Wu
Have Mercy
10 Bricks (Dope J Dilla Beat)
We will Rob You
Walk wit Me

the silencer
09-18-2009, 05:41 PM
this album is epic.
flat out. The buzz was humongous, Rae really did a masterful job of holding out makin everybody wait until the market was properly ripe and ready to receive this amazing album.. we saw all the interviews, we saw all the random YouTube videos of him just sayin "Cuban Linx 2, it's comin" and then walkin around Canada or someplace..

but when it finally hit, this shit made a major splash--deservedly so..

this is HIP HOP, this is bangin beats and raw lyrics. Matter fact, for as much attention as some of these beats are getting (Dilla's shine is incredible on the album, Rza came ridiculous with Black Mozart and New Wu) it is the LYRICS that truly define this modern classic.

I will say somethin else I don't think I've seen anyone mention yet and that's this: Rae finally gets his own shine here.. Some might disagree, but I feel like Rae has been underrated as FUCK by most Wu fans. Maybe not hip hop fans in general, cuz they see it as "oh well he released that classic Only Built 4 Cuban Linx" but as most Wu fans (in their right mind) see it, that album was mostly Rza and Ghost's shine. Rae was great on it but didn't take the spotlight even though it was really HIS album...his other albums are constantly shitted on and besides that he had never really gotten the deserved praise for being a slang master general lyrically, that mostly went to Ghost (or even Cappa)....well, Cuban Linx 2 is truly RAE's ALBUM.. he spits fire on every song, whether it's the ridiculous slang-drenched verses or he's vividly painting cinematic pictures: this is Raekwon's album and he gets his full shine on it..

and much respect to Raekwon for grabbin the torch and goin full force at the hip hop industry (a totally different scene nowadays) representing Wu to the fullest..I loved this quote from a recent interview (http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2009/09/tss-presents-smoking-sessions-with-raekwon-featuring-ghostface-killah):

"But honestly, I would do anything and everything to see my Clan on top. So I felt this was a job I had to take on in making this album. It was a must.”

enough of that, as for the product itself....

Album Cover:
peace to Wu-Corp's very own graphicist Sean for receiving the ultimate reward of having his work as THEE cover to Wu's biggest album in probably a decade. I think it pays homage well to the original but it's also got it's own thing goin for it with all this Purple, i really like the whole Purple theme to the artwork throughout and payin homage to the old purple cassette tape. The inside pic of Rae as a giant tied down in New York is sick but the pose pic of him holdin guns is hella corny. Reminds me of some G-Unit shit and he's even got the machine gun upside down so it might shoot him in the face..
the shit with Rza and the chainsaw is sick tho, is that from the New Wu video shoot?
(it also bears mentioning that there's a ton of misspellings and errors throughout the credits..they didn't list Ghost as featuring a couple times, left out Busta Rhymes...real sloppy shit that was surprising considering how long they had to put it all together)

1. Return of the North Star
ft Poppa Wu
prod by BT

great calm, smooth intro to a great album. Cool idea to set it off with the last lines of Pt 1.
I just love this line from Poppa Wu: “You didn’t let ME cheat you out ya money, shiiiit man, what?”
The switch up to the Have Mercy beat is sick, starts gettin you pumped for what’s about to come.

2. House of Flying Daggers
ft Inspectah Deck, Ghostface, Method Man, Gza (chorus)
prod by J-Dilla

honestly when this track first dropped I wasn’t that crazy about it and only listened to it maybe twice. Once I heard it on the album though I LOVED it. This is a Wu banger, cinematically-stringed marching stomp of raw hip hop. Rae spits that “live fly criteria”, INS sets it off crazy with a verse that sounds better with each listen, Ghost’s “train hat fits lovely”, and Meth surprises me---cuz I didn’t know he could still rap like that. And the ending is awesome, “I feel like my back’s broken!”

This is the perfect jump-off and perfectly, powerfully reasserts Wu’s name back into the scene for all those people who didn’t even realize they were still makin music until they got overcome by the flood OB4CL2 promotion and buzz…yep, they still make music and with this album they’re bringin HEAT..

PS: I also love the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR7kVnh3PlI) for this track
5/5

3. Sonny’s Missing
prod by Pete Rock

okay so now it’s like, after his co-stars and Wu-brethren helped set things off with him, Rae jumps right into it—right into the vivid, Scorcese-movie style storytelling and lyrical picture-painting and image-scrawling.
I love this line, observin how the tied-up dude they’re interrogating was getting serious money by the sick sunglasses he had:
“I heard you copped a new beamer and them glasses is rough, they was the Furla joints, 18 karats, bought ‘em right in Brazil”
and then, once they’re shooting the guy
“Muddy Gucci joints on, them shits was 9 hun’ed, couldn’t wait to kill him, his son’s wanted it”
The scenes are ridiculous.
And even though the album has no skits, the chatter at the front and back of some the tracks, especially this one, works well. I love how all the voices are Rae’s

4/5

4. Pyrex Vision
prod by Marley Marl

Marley coming through with the smoothness…a brief, beautiful track with Rae in the kitchen bubblin up some drugs on the stove.

4/5

5. Cold Outside
ft Ghostface Killah and Suga Bang Bang
prod by Icewater

The Godfather Pt 2 sample is epic and I’m glad they used it on this album, always loved that scene and the music from it when the young Vito Corleone is walkin along the roofs of NY to go assassinate somebody. But, even though the beginning and end is pretty epic-sounding, I ain’t crazy about the beat itself.
Rae and Ghost’s verses are bananas, especially Ghost’s as he buggin the fuck out about the horrors he’s seeing in the world.

3.5/5

6. Black Mozart
feat Inspectah Deck
prod by The Rza

the transition from Cold Outside into this song is SICK with the sword-fighting craziness and this track is FIRE. Rza twirls the classic Godfather tune into an eerie organ banger and the two emcees are quite obviously hyped as FUCK from it, haven’t heard Inspectah Deck spit like this in ages!!!! Only thing I woulda hoped for is a Bobby Steels verse (and stay off the chorus) but it’s dope nonetheless, just as it is.

5/5

7. Gihad
ft Ghostface
prod by Necro

another banger with probably the second-best drums on the album behind the next song. Rae’s verse is wild and many of the lines have been stuck in my head ever since I first heard this joint. “We bought the crib next to Bill Clinton mother cuz she fuck with the Chinese” might be the funniest line on the album..
Really, this song reminds a lot of the track “The Game” when Rae/Ghost collabo’d with Pete Rock and Prodigy. It’s an absolute banger and the chorus sounds similar. Ghost’s verse is ridiculous----just ridiculous signature Ghost nasty shit.

5/5

8. New Wu
ft Method Man, Ghostface
prod by Rza

the bangin, melodic Rza-produced Wu banger that blew us all away when we first heard it and officially sparked the wick on the SERIOUS hype for CL2 (like "oh shit this album might seriously be awesome" hype).. Probably the best drums of any joint on the album and the track is hype as fuck, with a memorable chorus from Meth..

this track is a perfect example of what makes this album truly special and, for sure, something totally different than the first Only Built: Rae shines on this track lyrically IMO brighter than either guest (his flow, the ridiculous wordplay)…but every verse is sick, Ghost’s “inner strength flowin, mastered Chi Kung” line is wild and even though I’ve personally questioned Meth’s abilities and what he has left lately, he definitely came correct here. The Rza banger definitely hyped everybody up properly.

5/5

9. Penitentiary
ft Ghostface
prod by BT

RAGU dopeness..
The classic back-and-forth style from Wu’s duo is entertaining as hell on this track with a creative storyline and role-playing. Ghost is a prison guard who’s crooked and helping Rae (the prisoner) out, detailing how he’s gonna hide weapons in his breakfast.
The track is relatively brief, especially with the chorus repeated twice but the story ends great: it’s breakfast, Rae’s eating and he finds the stuff Ghost left for him in his grits, it’s a jailbreak and Rae’s people bust in “with blood in they eye like they ready to kill” and it’s over..

4/5

10. Baggin Crack
prod by Erick Sermon

Rae’s flow is off the hook on this one and the lyrics are, just as on most of this great album, crazy visual…the beauty of this album is the plentitude of colorful pictures painted all over it..

4/5

11. Surgical Gloves
prod by Alchemist

I ain’t as crazy about this track as some of the other CL2 enthusiasts. The beat is pretty good but to my ears this is one of the weaker tracks on the album..Rae’s second verse is a gem though:
“gold tuba from Bermuda in my livingroom spreads”

3/5

12. Broken Safety
ft Jadakiss and Styles P
prod by Scram Jones

BANGER..the beat is SICK and Rae stomps and chomps it. “I’m forever zooted, crushed up glass I’m splashin through it”..
I honestly haven’t been feelin the Lox since their first album but Jadakiss is nice on here…Stlyes I hate his flow here but his last line is tight and the kung-fu samples all over this joint are wild..

4/5

13. Canal Street
prod by Icewater

plenty of shit going on in the beginning, basically serving as an interlude or break in the action..
it’s a good track with a good chorus (I was surprised at how ill pretty much all the choruses were on this album) but I could do without this track..

3/5

14. Ason Jones
prod by J-Dilla

oh man, what a track…starts off so wonderfully, like Rae is sittin back with a Bailey’s and a tokin a blunt just chillin and reflectin for a sec..
This is probably my favorite track on the album; it’s an elegiac classic of Rae payin respects to his fallen brother through DOPE and heartfelt lyrics on his own classic album and it’s produced by another fallen hip hop brother..
The Dirt Dog cuts are great and really this track solidifies the album for me. This is Wu right here.
“Russell Ason Jones I knew him for his braids and lessons”

5/5

15. Have Mercy
feat Beanie Sigel, Blue Raspberry
prod by Icewater

the smooth instru from the intro reappears and it’s a great track, Beanie’s is my favorite non-Wu guest spot on the album..
yet again, the Rae’s chorus is great..Blue Raspberry is aight

4/5

16. 10 Bricks
feat Cappadonna, Ghostface
prod by J-Dilla

16 tracks deep already, plenty of dope shit so far…and then you get THIS SHIT!? Some people complained about the length of this album but to me that’s one of the STRENGTHS of this album, it’s got depth, a deep roster of tracks…I feel like once you reach this point you’re startin to think it might be over soon and then this ridiculous joint pops up..
tied with Ason Jones for my favorite joint on the album, I love everything about it..another J-Dilla banger, Rae’s “blow killed the doctor” and he takes “baths with white women, lingerie see-thru”
the chorus is SICK, “knock the ash off the blunt, confront niggas who cunt”!!!
I’m sorry but I’m wild about this joint, I just really look forward to hearin this shit live at a concert.
Ghost is LIVE AS FUCK HERE!!!

5/5

17. Fat Lady Sings
prod by The Rza

Another track with a bunch of drama goin on in the beginning, again it’s like an interlude. Kind of a weird, unconventional instru from Rza here but once you soak it in it’s tight----Rae goes in with the bloody visuals of knockin out a Dread who’s tryin to sling in his area, cutting him up and then “You ain’t dead yet?”..
Track is brief but tight..

4/5

18. Catalina
feat Lyfe Jennings
prod by Dr. Dre

my least favorite track on the album…I find it hard to believe this is Dre, it’s such a simple, dare I say amateur beat. The melody is okay but the hi-hats splashin in make it sound so corny and jesus Lyfe Jennings is whackadocious—Doesn’t belong on this album..
Rae is Rae as always but it’s hard for me to listen to this track..

2/5

19. We Will Rob You
feat Gza, Masta Killa, Slick Rick (chorus)
prod by Justice

the beat is pretty simple and repetitive but it’s okay here cuz the emcees grab the spotlight..
crazy pictures painted by Rae and then The Genius (!) comes through…Masta Killa is okay and clarifies Rae’s infamous tongue-twist from the original album while also goin thru the supreme math, cool verse but has nothing to do with what everyone else is saying..

4/5

20. About Me
feat Busta Rhymes
prod by Dr Dre

“stay fly, hungry and wise/ you know the code, honor it”
DOPE head-nodder, this Dre beat is simple yet again but it works to perfection..Rae is hungry on it and spits fire in both verses and Busta is pretty ill..

4/5

21. Mean Streets
ft Inspectah Deck, Ghostface
prod by Mathematics

I could do without this track. This and Catalina are my least favorite joints on the album..
My problem with it is that the sample is just way to familiar by now and this ain’t even a good use of it…the drums are whack…
Rae's verse is good but I ain’t feelin Deck’s and Ghost’s too much..

3/5

22. Kiss the Ring
ft Inspectah Deck, Masta Killa
prod by Scram Jones

perfect ending…I feel like the opening stuff is a celebration of the album itself and it’s cool that New Wu is playing in the background.
With Ason Jones and 10 Bricks, this is one of my absolute favorites on the album. The beat is dope, Rae KILLS it, then Deck comes in and KILLS it, and then the Masta…

Masta Killa’s verse on this track is my favorite guest verse on the whole album (and that’s sayin a lot), it’s fuckin ill..Last verse on the album and he perfectly paints and summarizes the entire theme of the album just in this one brief verse.

5/5

OVERALL:
Beats 4/5
Lyrics 4.5/5

8.5 outta 10

noel411
09-19-2009, 11:41 PM
My edited version of this album has 13 tracks instead of 22, and is about 42 minutes long instead of 71 minutes. This is a perfect album length imo. 42 minutes of high quality tracks that keep my attention, rather than 71 minutes of a mix of high quality tracks, ordinary tracks, and straight up filler that has me repeatedly reaching for the skip button and wishing the fucking thing would just hurry up and end so I could listen to something else. This shortened version is an infinitely more enjoyable and accessible version of the album. Pity they couldn't just do it that way in the first place.

Crackhead Bob
09-20-2009, 02:33 AM
^^^The album is a week old. Those people that are pawning off half the tracks as filler after listening to it a few times are retarded. This album has no filler. Each and every track brings something new and unique to the table. Try just zoning out and listening to it rather than staring at your cd player waiting for the exact moment the next song begins so you can skip it. Smoke a blunt. Walk your dog. Just listen.

claaa7
09-20-2009, 03:43 AM
^^ word, i bump the 80 minutes every fucking day - i have yet to skip a song.

RynMur
09-20-2009, 03:50 AM
Some of you sleeping on the Cold Outside beat. It builds up perfectly. Ghost n Rae came with lyrics that fit it well too.

duotone
09-20-2009, 04:04 AM
cold outside is one of my fav. tracks on this cd...
the cd is cool... but not to compare with pt1... too many producer...
but a "NEW AGE CLASSIC" mos.-def.
rotatin since sept.11th all day... (next to dj whool - whool in sheepclothing // came the same day)

4th Chamber
09-20-2009, 06:20 AM
Love it. I'm liking it more than Part 1... but that feeling might wear off in the next few weeks, we'll see. But at the moment I think it's a definate Wu classic.

I'll write a more comprehensive review at another time.... when I can find some time.

noel411
09-20-2009, 06:59 AM
^^^The album is a week old. Those people that are pawning off half the tracks as filler after listening to it a few times are retarded. This album has no filler. Each and every track brings something new and unique to the table. Try just zoning out and listening to it rather than staring at your cd player waiting for the exact moment the next song begins so you can skip it. Smoke a blunt. Walk your dog. Just listen.
I listened to the whole thing through several times before I edited it. Quite a few times actually. I kept on putting off deleting tracks on my fake Ipod and I'd find myself out on my bike listening to all these dud tracks again wishing I'd edited it. Once I realised the dud tracks weren't gonna grow on me I started skipping them. Then I started skipping a few more. Then when I finally got to editing it I found that there were only 13 tracks I wanted to hear again, and I'm starting to think 1 of those might have to go too.

It's a very good album. If I'd just gotten into hip hop I'd probably be loving it. I'm tired of hip hop though. I've still got full love for the older stuff which I grew up on, and even some albums from the early 2000's and a couple from recent years, but the majority of shit coming out these days just sounds tired and recycled. You say "Each and every track brings something new and unique to the table". I say not one track on this album brings anything new and/or unique to the table. Thankfully a reasonable percentage of the tracks are pretty "bangin'" though. Dope tracks for any hip hop fan. The left over part...well I just really don't want, or need, to hear it.

It's cool that a lot of the fans are loving this album. That's great. I'm glad it delivered after being put off for so long. And I'm glad that I myself am able to make up 40 minutes of tracks that I actually want to come back to. I'm just sharing my perspective on this album. I don't want or expect everybody to feel the same as I do.

ShaDynasty
09-20-2009, 12:37 PM
Its pretty much what I expected. Its quite good. It would be stupid for Raekwon or anyone else to think that he'd make an album as good as Cuban Linx, as not many albums rap or otherwise are that good. For the most part its a good album because Rae really delivers in terms of the story-telling shit and funny street slang and most of the beats are excellent. Theres a bunch of tracks on there that i'll be listening to for years. Its not a classic album though, and it only beats his previous 2 albums because they were genuine duds. Theres a lot of shit wrong with this album though:
- Like most rap albums, its too long. They could have taken off 5 or 6 songs and it would have been much sharper.
- RZAs 3 tracks were among the best on the album and this album coulda used more of that shit, at least 'State Of Grace'.
- Too many outside guests.
- Sampling Elton John on a song called 'Kiss The Ring'.

Overall its a good album, but i'd be lying if I said I wasn't quite disappointed. I bought 6 new albums this year, and I think this is the least good of all of them.

trinking
09-20-2009, 08:22 PM
New Wu is my new ringtone. That's my shit.

haha ive had that song as my ringtone since the radio rip dropped. i gotta update is so it sounds better. ive had about 15-20 people buy that album because of hearing my ringtone. should rae send me a check for promotion?^O^

Longbongcilvaringz
09-21-2009, 05:10 AM

ha, how people on these forums convince themselves of these things is beyond me.

Similarly to noel, i still listen to 10 or so of the tracks, the rest are unchecked in my itunes, because yes, they have no replay value and are pretty much filler.

Having 22 tracks was crazy.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-21-2009, 05:19 AM
you're fucking kidding right?

Pat I don't really care how smart you think you are. Don't try and correct me, ever. I stay out of your business so stay the fuck out of mine. What you just said is perhaps the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I don't think i'm smart at all.

However, i know that i am a lot more intelligent than the vast majority of people who post here.

You are one of the least intelligent members, hence i'll correct you whenever i feel the urge, and the urge strikes me often as you are constantly spouting uniformed nonsense.

Don't try and correct anyone here, ever.

angry!
09-21-2009, 08:58 AM
you niggas are complete tools harping on the length!!!

its 20 plus tracks, surely out of those 20 at least 10 are supersonic bangers to you personally!!! to someone else, those 10 tracks you dont like, are their favorites!!!

in an era where emcees take the easy way out, they dont stress lyricism or creativity, rae comes with 20+ tracks of slick lyrics and bangin beats that vary in feel and he gets criticized for it by homos who cant wait to load the album up and EQ certain tracks or crop verses!!!

you aint the director cuz you dont have a visionary mind!!!! suck a dick haters!!!!

RynMur
09-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Theres a lot of shit wrong with this album though:
- Like most rap albums, its too long. They could have taken off 5 or 6 songs and it would have been much sharper.
- RZAs 3 tracks were among the best on the album and this album coulda used more of that shit, at least 'State Of Grace'.
- Too many outside guests.
- Sampling Elton John on a song called 'Kiss The Ring'.

I disagree with all of those statements.

If it was 15 tracks, people would've bitched about how its not as long as the original.

If tracks from last year made the final cut. The haters would bitch that they don't want to hear recycled shit.

Outside of the wu, there was only 4 guests who spit verses. This seems like you're just looking for problems now. The only outside verses I felt should've been cut was Busta.

You think this is the first time that someone like Elton John has been sampled. As long as it's done right, I don't care who they sample.

Crackhead Bob
09-21-2009, 09:52 PM
I don't think i'm smart at all.

However, i know that i am a lot more intelligent than the vast majority of people who post here.

You are one of the least intelligent members, hence i'll correct you whenever i feel the urge, and the urge strikes me often as you are constantly spouting uniformed nonsense.

Don't try and correct anyone here, ever.Your love/hate relationship with my intellect has you disrespecting yourself. My post was a joke. You took it seriously. You are dumb.

Jin10304
09-21-2009, 10:22 PM
"If it was 15 tracks, people would've bitched about how its not as long as the original."

Over 1 less track? CL1 was only 16 songs

RynMur
09-22-2009, 01:28 AM
^18 tracks

Jin10304
09-22-2009, 01:33 AM
Take away the Strivin For Perfection Intro and the Shark Niggaz Skit your left with 16 Tracks.

ShaDynasty
09-24-2009, 12:59 PM
I disagree with all of those statements.

If it was 15 tracks, people would've bitched about how its not as long as the original.

If tracks from last year made the final cut. The haters would bitch that they don't want to hear recycled shit.

Outside of the wu, there was only 4 guests who spit verses. This seems like you're just looking for problems now. The only outside verses I felt should've been cut was Busta.

You think this is the first time that someone like Elton John has been sampled. As long as it's done right, I don't care who they sample.

People wouldn't complain about 15 tracks, thats enough for 95% of albums. Rap albums are usually way too long.

Why is the material recycled? Its never been officially released. Why wouldn't he put a track on the album thats already got a great response?

I know there weren't many guests, but there was still too many. It refers more to the production anyway. There was 6 vocal guests I think including hooks. Its not many but compare it to 1 verse on the first album. I guess it is a minor complaint.

What I said about 'Kiss The Ring' wasn't really serious, I just thought it was funny.

Its flawed yeah, but its still a great album and a testament to spending 5 years making an album. I hope he spends that long on his next one.

RynMur
09-24-2009, 02:50 PM
I see where you're coming from, I respect that. I'm just saying if Rae dropped an album that had OB4CL1 material, people would still find a way to complain about it.

claaa7
09-24-2009, 03:55 PM
you niggas are complete tools harping on the length!!!

its 20 plus tracks, surely out of those 20 at least 10 are supersonic bangers to you personally!!! to someone else, those 10 tracks you dont like, are their favorites!!!

in an era where emcees take the easy way out, they dont stress lyricism or creativity, rae comes with 20+ tracks of slick lyrics and bangin beats that vary in feel and he gets criticized for it by homos who cant wait to load the album up and EQ certain tracks or crop verses!!!

you aint the director cuz you dont have a visionary mind!!!! suck a dick haters!!!!

just wanna say peace, you keep repping the truth right here.. this album is a certified fucking banger, i feel the urge to listen to this shit every single day and the shit still knocks hard as fuck. easily one of the best Wu releases in the latest 10 years, iller than "No Said Date" and "Fishscale" even.

Hollow Dartz
10-07-2009, 07:50 PM
1. Return of The North Star (Featuring Popa Wu)

2. House of Flying Daggers (Featuring Inspectah Deck, Ghostface Killah & Method Man)

I like how this opens the album up on some hard/fast paced, the beat by J-Dilla goes hard on here, Inspectah Deck opens this up pretty solid with his verse sounding better than he has in a long time so that's a plus. Raekwon comes in real hungry on here his sword is still sharp

"Fly criteria, bury me in Africa/With whips and spears, and rough diamonds out of Syria"......"And speak with the youth in the spot, eat the fresh fruit in the crop/All these hip hoppers eat cock/You could see me in the street or the yacht/I'd rather be promoting your block or buying fresh sneakers with gwops"

Raekwon definitely picks up where Deck leaves off on this track going even harder. Ghostface has the MVP award on this track, everything is point with this guy, his lyrics, voice, delivery all on point it's like he's never even lost a step and it does sound very easy for this guy to do, he just smashes this track. Method Man does his thing on the closing tip, his flow is still there, lyrics are sharp sounding harder than he did on Blackout II. I Love this line right here

"See these fans can't resist the rush, they Wu-Tang for life/Scarred for life, they can't forget the cuts"

That's so true, that's why most of ya'll clowns are still here. Anyways.... 4.5/5

3. Sonny's Missing

I was worried about this, I was wondering how Raekwon would do on his own, the first Cuban Linx Raekwon only had about 2-3 solo tracks on it, he has a good number of solo tracks on here but this is definitely good right here, I'm definitely feeling the street tale he delivers on here, this is was Cuban Linx is about right here, Lyrics are so vivid on here, you can see the whole story unfold in your mind. This line right here gets me hyped everytime

"He had the steal on 'im, niggaz went savage, they had him spread out
T position, opened his jeans up
Shot him in the leg bone, he rose up like Kung Tut"

That shit was crazy, Raekwon is just thinking on a whole new level right there. Plus this is nice and short not too long. I'm feeling this track alot. 4.5/5

4. Pyrex Vision

Everything about this track is perfect, Nice and short, straight up coke bubbling on this shit. Raekwon just goes in, he does a U-God and just throws it right in your face no games. Marley Marl definitely came through with this beat, them bubbling sounds got me buggin over here, this shit is that 21st century grimy shit right here. 5/5

5. Cold Outside (Featuring Suga Bang Bang & Ghostface Killah)

This had to grow on me right here, but it definitely did, especially in the car this sounds 3x better. The hook is pretty dope Suga does his thing I always thought he came through whenever he was on something so I wasn't bothered by this hook at all. I'm loving the horns on this beat, it just makes this shit realer, you can feel this track more. Raekwon and Ghostface definitely deliver on this Rae hasn't lost a step I mean damn

"Religious with hammers, fakes get jammed up
Cakes get battered, coming through to get it, them transactions
Blood stinking fiends, machine guns, cannons and teams
Baking sodas, gold Rovers and gophers"

His calm flow even makes the rhyme sound better, I'm glad he's matured on this one alot. Ghostface delivers his heartfelt verse, you feel cold listening to what he has to say

"They found a two year old, strangled to death
With a "Love Daddy" shirt on in a bag on the top of the steps
Police blowing niggaz, NARCs and judges
Me and son had beef, I had to murk him, we supposed to be brothers
Cause he came home fronting, feeling like that I owe him something
Cause I'm getting money, drive a little something something
Renee got AIDS, with five kids smoked out
House is brick, bills haven't been paid in days
A Brooklyn man's a molestor, court case and the crime's raising
SWAT stickers on the church, they Satan
Holiday season is here and I'm vexed
Who the fuck made Christmas up? I'm fucking broke, it ain't making no sense
Newports are $7.50, a box of Huggies is off the meat rack
She's back, thirty days, she relapsed
Our troops need to leave Iraq
And rap niggaz need to go on strike so we can get more cash"

This nigga whole verse is just COLD. Overall they definitely deliver on here no doubt about it. 4.5/5

6. Black Mozart (Featuring Inspectah Deck & Rza)

Rza definitely delivers on here, I'mma tell you what my uncle told me "Rza never left the clan, the clan left Rza" that's real, it shows on here, Rza delivers a stellar offering on this Pt. II. Back to the rhyming tip, Raekwon is obviously letting Deck take this one on here, as he just goes in and comes out on this one. Inspectah Deck takes the lead and runs with it
even better than his first serving on the album, he is just solid on here taking it back on his verse. This is definitely that Black Mozart shit right here. 5/5

7. Gihad (Featuring Ghostface Killah)

When this first came out months back I barely pay attention to it, but when I heard this in the speakers I was like "Oh shit" This bass goes hard for real, I didn't even know Necro did the beat until recently, this shit goes mad hard. This is that classic Wu feel R.A.G.U. a straight up hood tale "Chef in the kitchen cooking up with the crimey's" that shit get me hyped every time I hear it, peep this line though "And everybody love vintage, you see like 4, 5 niggas With half moons and wave intentions" DAMN! Raekwon....Ghostface delivers a classic tale about fucking one of his Sons bitches, the question is....is he talking about his real son of one of his mans???? Whatever the case may be this is classic Ghost right here and Ghost at the end of this is just classic. 5/5

8. New Wu (Featuring Ghostface Killah & Method Man)

I don't know about ya'll but this was a 5/5 for me on first listen, Rza delivers another great offering on the album and they go in on this shit. If this is a preview of that joint album I'm definitely giving my money up. Raekwon just has quotables everywhere one of my favorites on this one is "Move like 91 romans" LOL that shit is just ill for some reason. Ghostface smashes this one with ease, I love how he sounds confident on this one, Method Man definitely has the MVP verse on this one I mean you can just throw the track on and listen for yourself, his flow on here is flawless and lyrically he is on point "But on the humble I'm a good dude, don't short change me, see that's a hood rule" that was nice as fuck and his last line is real "I'm what these kids is killing to be, but I don't want my Chidren to be" who says Method Man ain't got lyrics, we need more of this from Method Man. 5/5

9. Penintentiary (Featuring Ghostface Killah)

I like the back and forth rhyming on here, plus this is Raekwon and Ghostface, you know it's a story going in here somewhere. Raekwon is planning his escape with Ghost playing undercover. Pretty dope. The beat is aight on here, keep BT on those mixtapes Rae. This is a keeper strictly because of the MC's on here. 4/5

10. Bagging Crack

Raekwon talks about baggin crack with some lil nigga. Anyways this is nice and short, I think if he would've extended this song he would've killed the vibe on here. Eric Sermon could've came better on here though. But on a good note another Raekwon solo that Raekwon handles well. 4/5

11. Surgical Gloves

Yo I get mixed feeling about this track everytime, one day it's a classic next day it's a banger. Alchemist comes through on here though with some heat. Raekwon "Super Charged Kangols" this nigga has so many quoteables on here it doesn't make any sense. But anyways Raekwon is just going hard on this track proving to these little niggaz that he still has authority on the mic. 4.5/5

12. Broken Safety (Featuring Jadakiss & Styles P)

I wasn't feeling this until i played this in the car, this shit goes hard for real, I'm mad at myself for sleeping on this track. Beat is definitely raw on this one, He has JADAKISS AND STYLES P on the track, did you really think this was gonna be wack, them niggaz deliver on the Purple Tape Pt. II my nigga Kiss goes hard on here

"That's why I'm still bringing the seed back
The sneakers that I can't pronounce, that cost a G stack
Niggas in the yard, got this on repeat, black
Fuck saving hip hop, we bringing the streets back"

and Raekwon manages to definitely hold his own weight on this track.

"Player spit snipping, different color wallies on
Bliffen had to take 'em off, they fucked up the soles, flipped it
I'm forever zooted, crushed up glass, I'm just flashing through it
Nine times out of ten, suede down at the Jumer"

I mean come on, Raekwon is just sharp with these lyrics.You see that shit? Raekwon literally just shitted on Lex Diamonds Story with this...LOL Now Add Styles P to end the track and you get

"I used to move brown rectangles
Roll you a blunt, then smoke you with death's angel
Chrome trey pound is making your neck dangle
Blue trey eight is leaving your chest mangled
It's math but the gun could kill you at all angles
Leave the toast home, I'm leaving you all strangled"

Oh God! WTF Styles P is ripping this shit, I'm glad Raekwon showed love to these niggaz on here, they brought their A game on this one. 4.5/5

13. Canal Street

Another Raekwon solo, I noticed this beat from the Jadakiss album just slowed down for Raekwon. He definitely goes in on here, I can see alot of niggaz sleeping on this one but you just have to listen, Raekwon is giving you that Raw shit on here. Pretty Solid. 4/5

14. Ason Jones

I'm loving the ODB tribute track, This is the best Tribute to ODB i've heard yet (Until Ghostface decides to release his track). I read someone say this track was outta place. Get the fuck outta here, he was just on Canal street now this nigga is poppin bottles and zoning out on his brother at the crib, he going back outside on the next track, don't worry. Besides that the J-Dilla beat goes perfectly with this one. 4/5

15. Have Mercy (Featuring Beanie Sigel & Blue Raspberry)

I'm glad Raekwon is putting real street MC's on his albums, don't nobody wanna hear that bullshit. But anyways Beanie delivers a 5 star verse on here, you can feel that shit "I done seen weak niggaz not last a year" Damn. Beanie has done it again. On a side note wtf is up with this hook Raekwon? "It's really on you a dickhead" You could've came up with something better. Anyways Raekwon delivers on the mic so he makes up for it. His smooth tone on the mic just matches the beat perfectly. This beat is nice as fuck too. Oh yeah we have the highly anticipated return of Blue Raspberry, she did her thing on here, I know alot of niggaz are complaining about her being off key, but if you like me and you zoning out on this beat, you zoning out with here too. 5/5

16. 10 Bricks

This goes hard in the whip for real. "I know her from africa, pretty smile 9 teeth" Raekwon and his quotables...Raekwon comes through on here, but I wanna move on to Cappadonna, he delivers on this one I was nervous when I saw him being featured on here, but he comes through on here, Ghostface smashed it "Peppermint Clarks" LOL Ghost is that nigga. Beat is live as hell on here too thank you J-Dilla. 5/5

17. Fat Lady Sings

Yo I slept on this shit but after a few listens.....Raekwon's mic skills are fucking crazy I love how he starts it off..

"Punch broke the Dred's jaw, pulled the four out
And went off, told him that he can't sling his raw
When he fell, yo, he broke his wrist, his bangles flew off
His Balley's was scuffed, then he blew a kiss"

"Little young Keyon rushed him, yeah, shorty was a vet
Gillette soldier, shorty hit the neck
Blood squirted, look like laundry detergent, the Dred fell out
Right from there, he gon' need a surgeon
You ain't dead yet"

Raekwon goes in on here, I'm glad that it's at this length too. Rza ONCE AGAIN delivers a stellar offering. 4.5/5

18. Catalina (Featuring Lyfe Jennings)

Dr. Dre Beat? It was cool, I know he definitely had something better but didn't bother giving it to Raekwon, It's cool though, I'm like what Raekwon did with what he was giving. I'm loving the lyrics on here this kind of reminds me of "Smith Bros." and "The Hood" when Raekwon goes in on here. Lyfe Jennings on the hook is dope, Like I said I'm glad Raekwon has real niggaz on his album, Lyfe Jennings is real if you heard his shit you know what I mean, his hook is perfect for this one. 4/5

19. We Will Rob You (Featuring Slick Rick, Gza, & Masta Killa)

First of all Nice beat by Kareem. Next, the hook isn't all that bad like people are saying, I actually like that shit, but anyways this is a pretty nice cut right here. Most notably Gza and Masta Killa, Gza's verse has to be from before Grandmasters because that's when he started getting boring on the mic, his verse was very solid though, if it's new I gotta give props to him for real, Nice to hear Masta Killa after his M.I.A. period he just delivers a stellar verse on here, his lyrics are just sharp as fuck. 4.5/5

20. About Me (Featuring Busta Rhymes)

I actually like this Dr. Dre beat better than the last one he offered. Raekwon smashes this one better aswell, Busta Rhymes sounds better than he has been sounding for awhile on this one, Raekwon's tone just matches this beat crazy, I can't imaging him being hype on something like this. 4.5/5

21. Mean Streets (Featuring Inspectah Deck & Ghostface Killah)

I'm feeling this one, I could see why some cats might not be, but I am, Everyone delivers on here this is pretty solid not too much i can elaborate on here. 4/5

22. Kiss The Ring (Featuring Inspectah Deck & Masta Killah)

Scram Jones dropped heat right here, every verse on here is crazy Raekwon comes in on some boss shit

"A live general when he walk, if he died, then we slide
Ninety thou' in the coffin, and take the child"

I'm really glad Raekwon is keep lyricsism alive, he smashed this and Don't sleep on Deck, he doesn't play on here, I love his opener on here he proves he's been doing this for years...

"Black Jesus, check my walk, check my talk
Legend in the flesh and I rep New York
Crowned king, been down to bang, I'm House Gang
Knockout specialist, in and out the ring"

Masta Killa is the icing on the cake, he just sums up the whole album with one verse

"Now he's an old Mafia don, from back when
He managed to survive the game, ducking fame
It's how he maintained, the State of Grace, kept his lab laced
Ladies of a fine taste, kept his place guarded
While the young charted, found acquitted, all charges
And his heart loss and, marksmen take the contract
From the contact, waiting for the right event, it all made sense
He left no prints on the weapon, and he was blasting
Came home from prison stashing, still stacking
His whip still matching his kit, steel flashing
Hands quick, nice with his shit, three holy foods
Drops jewels, from a street corner level, young brother, I'mma rebel
Here to instruct private soldiers to buck arms
Ya'll rap cats had your last win, toast the kings
It's Wu-Tang, it's our thing, kiss the ring"

Kiss The Ring. 4.5/5

23. Walk Wit Me

Scram Jones delivers more heat on this shit, this song is just on some mafia type shit, Raekwon just throws ill dartz all over this one man, this is one of my favorites on here, listen to his shit, it takes time but you can catch his lines if you want to..

"Cash it in, yo, Masta, live with me, take it all
You can have whatever, five hundred leathers
Bruno Mag' sweaters, Gucci rain boots
Brook Brothers, New Eras, jew killers
New line sponsored by fellas, catch 'em in the hall balling
I thought about it, whatever"

One of my favorite lines on here LOL

"We on, rolling thirty deep in the gadget trucks
Spending magic bucks, fuck around, get an Aston truck
Fly around, fucking actress sluts"

Raekwon is that nigga, this whole story he paints is just raw as fuck, I love how he tells the story in a mature manner, an younger Raekwon would've probably been wilding out, but listen to this story he gives you.... 5/5

Bonus Cut
Badlands (Featuring Ghostface Killah)
4/5

Ok, If you thought this was going to match the first one shoot yourself. Now, this album definitely met my expectations, I was not disappointed at all, Raekwon has some good production on here and the lyrics on here are sharp as fuck, I mean I know Raekwon came hard on 8 Diagrams but he definitely came harder on here, ALL guest spots deliver heat on here, what more could you ask for, I know there are people who will not be satisfied but hey your scarred for life like Meth said in House of Flying Daggers you're still here, give the albuma real chance because I know most of the haters haven't, this is definitely my number 1 album for 2009. Is this a classic? naw not right now, does it have the potential hell yes.

Beats - 4.5/5
Lyrics - 4.5/5
Overall - 4.5/5

****Overall 4.5/5 (Wu- Classic In due time)****

Crackhead Bob
10-07-2009, 08:02 PM

what are holders?

I'ma be in bed like hold this

I read about a quarter of it and gave up, good effort though

battle?
10-07-2009, 08:17 PM
^ @ least hollow didnt write a review 4 the album after downloading it a week be4 it came out an after maybe 1 listen..

Crackhead Bob
10-07-2009, 08:21 PM
What are you trying to say? You know what, I don't even care, you're a herb.

battle?
10-07-2009, 08:26 PM
^ oh wait /..
there's also way cooler people on pawtucket patriot than quagmire....

Crackhead Bob
10-07-2009, 08:27 PM
It's Quagmire's head with Peter Griffin's face you fucking idiot.

battle?
10-07-2009, 08:35 PM
^ that's real...
maybe even super real....
it's almost 2012 quag..
dont u have 2 write a review for that be4 it happens,,
or a bohemian grove 2 attend..

battle?
10-07-2009, 08:38 PM
back to the thread..
it's funny how alot of the reviews on this album none make any attempt to talk about the over-use of kung-fu samples..
\guillotine swords is the only one on the 1st that use's them..

Hollow Dartz
10-07-2009, 08:40 PM

what are holders?

I'ma be in bed like hold this

I copied the lyrics from another web site.

Crackhead Bob
10-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Yea, but you know they were copied from somewhere else, Wu lyrics are never right.

Hollow Dartz
10-08-2009, 06:02 PM

Naw, It was a good review, fuck what u think.

back to the thread..
it's funny how alot of the reviews on this album none make any attempt to talk about the over-use of kung-fu samples..
\guillotine swords is the only one on the 1st that use's them..
I'm not gonna complain over little shit like that.

claaa7
10-09-2009, 03:30 AM
good review.

MoSS produced "Have Mercy" btw

Crackhead Bob
10-09-2009, 03:43 AM
Naw, It was a good review, fuck what u think.

I'm not gonna complain over little shit like that.I know you are trying to keep it hood or whatever, but it gets really tacky after a while listening to you talk like you're discussing this shit in a barbershop. I know you put a lot of effort (for you) into this, but how many times can you read "definitely delivers" before you want to start pounding nails into blocks of mahogany with your head. My advice, you're young, learn some more fucking adjectives. Peace.

ShaDynasty
10-09-2009, 03:02 PM
I almost feel ashamed to be associated with wu fandom when i read juvenile BS like this. Anyway, I liked all the kung fu samples, its probably the most film samples on a wu album in 15 years, it sets the mood perfectly. Also Catalina is getting to be the best song on the album to me. With the right video that could be a big hit.

battle?
10-09-2009, 04:02 PM
I almost feel ashamed to be associated with wu fandom when i read juvenile BS like this. Anyway, I liked all the kung fu samples, its probably the most film samples on a wu album in 15 years, it sets the mood perfectly. Also Catalina is getting to be the best song on the album to me. With the right video that could be a big hit.

i know right..
kungfu samples def set the feel of a mafioso type album..

ShaDynasty
10-20-2009, 09:37 AM
i know right..
kungfu samples def set the feel of a mafioso type album..

I mean it feels like a Wu album. The first album had samples of The Killer and Kung Fu flicks. The shit is the Mafia in Raes own image. If anything this has more mafioso feel just off of 'Cold Outside'.

Jin10304
10-20-2009, 05:21 PM
"its probably the most film samples on a wu album in 15 years,"

I believe Wu-Tang Forever & Iron Flag have more than this.....

House Of Flying Daggers (Shaolin vs Lama)
Sonnys Missing (The Killer)
Black Mozart (Shaolin vs Lama)
Broken Safety (Shaolin vs Lama)
Have Mercy (Shaolin vs Lama)
Catalina (The Killer)
We Will Rob You (Shaolin vs Lama)

battle?
10-20-2009, 06:36 PM
I mean it feels like a Wu album. The first album had samples of The Killer and Kung Fu flicks. The shit is the Mafia in Raes own image. If anything this has more mafioso feel just off of 'Cold Outside'.

guillotine swordz is the only track on link to have any type of kung-fu sample..

chamber music has plenty of kungfu samples..

Hollow Dartz
10-20-2009, 06:54 PM
guillotine swordz is the only track on link to have any type of kung-fu sample..

chamber music has plenty of kungfu samples..
Re-Read your posts to see how you are complaining over little stuff. Sad.

battle?
10-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Re-Read your posts to see how you are complaining over little stuff. Sad.

cheer up..
im sorry more people haven't commented on ur review..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WO3mvkl3XO8/SForEe1IFwI/AAAAAAAABHA/e87_8Dkg1aE/s400/benny_hinn-india.jpg

5hundred&one
10-20-2009, 08:09 PM
^ this dude is so mad that people like CL2 more than 8 Diagrams.

battle?
10-20-2009, 10:21 PM
^ cl2 really should of just been called " house of flying daggers" or "kiss the ring"

claaa7
10-22-2009, 02:51 PM
this album got lots of replay value, shit is still in constant rotation. this and Blaq Poet gets crazy play

fortyglock
10-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah the album is still getting daily rotation, brilliant from start to finish.

Hollow Dartz
10-23-2009, 12:41 PM
cheer up..
im sorry more people haven't commented on ur review..

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WO3mvkl3XO8/SForEe1IFwI/AAAAAAAABHA/e87_8Dkg1aE/s400/benny_hinn-india.jpg

I could really care less, you prove my point by trying to change topics. Please get some pussy and stop crying. The album is dope, and your complaining over little shit. and P.S. I have recieved numerous Rep points for my review already. Clown.

KLAP
10-27-2009, 12:41 AM
Im feelin the review... 2 me this album is a real solid effort.

-The A to the Z-
10-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Oops wrong thread.

claaa7
11-11-2009, 05:39 PM
still bumping this front-to-back alot, i don't know about y'all but i seriously might think that i will consider this a classic Wu-Tang album in the future. to me this shit flows great and more-or-less every single song is incredible.

Crackhead Bob
11-11-2009, 05:41 PM
It's a classic, there's no doubt, shit is loaded.

hotnikks
11-11-2009, 08:47 PM
For me this is the Best release from a Wu artist since Supreme Clientele. Im serious too.

sdeblasi
11-13-2009, 10:58 AM
i finally figured out why "We Will Rob You" always gives me an old school vibe...the sample for the beat was used in the song "Money in the Bank" off of Wanted: Dead or Alive by G Rap and Polo, makes me like the track even more now

corky831
11-14-2009, 02:01 PM
this album is a classic........still love it 2 months after its release

Fright
11-15-2009, 06:11 AM
yeah, i agree.For me this is the best wu solo album since SC

-The A to the Z-
11-21-2009, 02:55 PM
Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx 2 Review (WORLD EXCLUSIVE)
July 21st, 2009 · 1 Comment
“A Toast To The Best To Ever Do It”

That's still a flipping shit review.

Leo Angel
11-21-2009, 02:57 PM
superior album, but in some time it will turn into classic, I'm 100% sure about it

raza Méng sou
11-21-2009, 09:41 PM
best album of the year imo but stil prefer 1st one.. pretty impossible to top that tho.

claaa7
11-22-2009, 10:41 AM
^^ of course the first one is better lol.. look at it like this, OB4CL2 is the best album of the year but OB4CL1 is the best album of all time. there's a huge difference there...

this is probably my favorite LP of the year too though, and the only Wu album to make my top-5 and maybe even 10.

sdeblasi
11-22-2009, 07:01 PM
^ cosign that whole post except the part about it being the only Wu album making my top 10...Dopium probably slides in there for me at 10

raza Méng sou
11-22-2009, 07:19 PM
^^ of course the first one is better lol.. look at it like this, OB4CL2 is the best album of the year but OB4CL1 is the best album of all time. there's a huge difference there...

this is probably my favorite LP of the year too though, and the only Wu album to make my top-5 and maybe even 10.

thats why i said its pretty impossible to top that

Crackhead Bob
11-22-2009, 09:23 PM
36 Chambers
Liquid Swords
Cuban Linx
Wu-Tang Forever
Supreme Clientele
Ironman
Cuban Linx 2
Return to 36
Fishscale
No Said Date

Tical
Beneath the Surface
Bobby Digital in Stereo
The W
8 Diagrams
Protools
Grandmasters
Tical 2000
Iron Flag
Dopium

Here is my top 20 breakdown

I put Cuban Linx 2 in the #7 spot. I think it's better than the modern classics, No Said Date and Fishscale, but not as good as the top 6, all golden era releases. Everything in the top ten is 4.5 or above. I would call Tical the weakest of the golden era releases, starting at #11. Even though Return to 36 isn't a perfect album, it's uniqueness equates to #8. Sliding in at #16 and rounding out the top 20 are Pro Tools and Dopium, relatively new releases. Legend of a Liquid Sword would be my pick for #21 meaning GZA has 5 of the top 21 albums released.

battle?
11-25-2009, 09:40 PM
^ we know how much u love ur "iglc" polls..
u have no right putting this album even in the same rent district as

Return to 36
Fishscale
No Said Date

Tical
Beneath the Surface
Bobby Digital in Stereo
The W

ill take one for the discussion..
really brock..
return 2 the 36 is not as good as cl2..
dispite all ur polls an such u still put cl2 above return..
so ur saying tracks like shimmy,zoo,raW HIDE,HIPPA2 THE HOPPA,dont u know..really dont u know...is not better than anything on cl2
dont u know..!!!
ur out of u fuckin mind bro..
the stomp..
snakes..
please tell us why cl2 is greater than dirty's 1st..
an also tell us why ur not a vatican anymore..

Crackhead Bob
11-25-2009, 10:03 PM
^ we know how much u love ur "iglc" polls..
u have no right putting this album even in the same rent district as

Return to 36
Fishscale
No Said Date

Tical
Beneath the Surface
Bobby Digital in Stereo
The W

ill take one for the discussion..
really brock..
return 2 the 36 is not as good as cl2..
dispite all ur polls an such u still put cl2 above return..
so ur saying tracks like shimmy,zoo,raW HIDE,HIPPA2 THE HOPPA,dont u know..really dont u know...is not better than anything on cl2
dont u know..!!!
ur out of u fuckin mind bro..
the stomp..
snakes..
please tell us why cl2 is greater than dirty's 1st..
an also tell us why ur not a vatican anymore..

Ok calm down a second and let's think about this logically alright. First of all, you didn't even mention two of the best tracks on return to 36, Damage and Cuttin' Headz which is a crime in and of itself. For that album, as great as it it is, had only two singles, Brooklyn Zoo and Shimmy Shimmy Ya. Cuban Linx 2 was hyped for 4 years and produced not only State of Grace and Shaolin Go Hard as scraps leftover that are classics, but also singles and videos for New Wu, Catalina, Walk With Me, House of Flying Daggers, Have Mercy, Surgical Gloves, and singles for Gihad and Kiss the Ring. It is arguable that there are at least 8 classic tracks on the album to as many as 20, more than the actual number of tracks on Return to 36 (16). Say what you want about Return to 36, it's a brilliant album, as are Fishscale and No Said Date...but those albums just can't match the bulk of straight bangers from start to finish that Cuban Linx 2 has. Feel free to tear down that logic in any way you like, I think I've stated my case clearly.

battle?
11-25-2009, 10:14 PM
cl2 has only been out how long..
were thinking about this logically right..?>
return 2 is going back where.?
i could of posted the whole track list of return2 from start 2 finish..
really "the bulk of straight bangers"
what track does every wu fan want to hear @ a wu concert..
its not state of grace..
its not new wu
its not house of..
do i need 2 go on..?
go ask rae what album he thinks is better..
an to shed some logic..
@ least the kung fu samples are relevant to return 2..
really brock..
u cant be right all the time..

duotone
11-26-2009, 03:14 AM
Calm down...
its his opinion...
tastes are different..

cl2 is a new classic album
but IMO not that great like the 1st flood of the wu

battle?
11-26-2009, 06:21 PM
1JMYH3gU-I4&featur

battle?
11-27-2009, 09:14 PM
36 Chambers
Liquid Swords
Cuban Linx
Wu-Tang Forever
Supreme Clientele
Ironman
Cuban Linx 2
Return to 36
Fishscale
No Said Date

Tical
Beneath the Surface
Bobby Digital in Stereo
The W
8 Diagrams
Protools
Grandmasters
Tical 2000
Iron Flag
Dopium

Here is my top 20 breakdown

I put Cuban Linx 2 in the #7 spot. I think it's better than the modern classics, No Said Date and Fishscale, but not as good as the top 6, all golden era releases. Everything in the top ten is 4.5 or above. I would call Tical the weakest of the golden era releases, starting at #11. Even though Return to 36 isn't a perfect album, it's uniqueness equates to #8. Sliding in at #16 and rounding out the top 20 are Pro Tools and Dopium, relatively new releases. Legend of a Liquid Sword would be my pick for #21 meaning GZA has 5 of the top 21 albums released.

i thought this was ur top 10 breakdown..
http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32959

IrOnMaN
12-15-2009, 12:18 PM
I just brought the album last Saturday and all I can say is that I like it VERY much. There isn't a track that I don't like. Good job Rae.

4.5/5

RagapanD-ZALLAH
01-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Album is Superior now but in couple years we will be calling it a classic.
I dunno bout anyone else but i would of loved to hear a Wu Gambinos Part 2 but oh well
Rae gave us something fresh and new.

claaa7
02-05-2010, 04:20 AM
^ yeah "Wu Gambinos II" would be ill, i could've imagined it being over the "Black Mozart" beat which had the right mafioso type of vibe.

Frank Sobotka
02-05-2010, 05:06 AM
It's been 5 months and it's still in rotation.

dret.izm
02-05-2010, 03:26 PM
im a young fella so ive missed the hype on alot of wu's classics.. but it was cool seeing a fresh wu album come out and picking it up.

and imo i think OB4CL2 is a classic..

im usually just diggin' up old stuff but now im diggin' up old stuff while blastin' CL2!!

peace.

theheavens
02-10-2010, 03:24 PM
I still don't get why Rae decided to call it a sequel instead of just another release. puts too much anticipation and comparisons by calling it Cuban Linx Part 2. anyway, the production is just as good as in the original, though it's more hit-and-miss on part 2. the original is also more grimy and moody, this one is like a celebration-type album. the only thing better on part 2 than the original is Rae's storytelling ("blood squirtin' out his neck, look like laundry detergent" on Fat Lady Sings, etc). also, the first half of the album is way better than the second half. the first 9 tracks all are bangers (flying daggers, pyrex vision, cold outside, gihad, new wu, black mozart)...then suddenly the album goes on a slump and shimmers in-and-out.

RZA and J Dilla get the nod for best production. though Necro's solo beat is awesome too

duotone
02-10-2010, 05:06 PM
yeah rza did a really good job on this one...
black mozart is a combination of the so called old rza and the new experimental rza... fuckin great... and the corus he putted on is just great!!! awesome at the concert in münster/germany!

and new wu has the quality to fit on cuban linx 1...

sickdog
02-23-2010, 07:34 AM
yesterday i finaly recived my copy of OB4CL2. euro versions with 24 tracks... that 23rd track is str8 banger, didint heard it b4.
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8172/obcl2.jpg

claaa7
03-26-2010, 01:26 PM
i took a pause from all the Wu shit since a lil' while back but with the "Wu Massacre" LP leaking yesterday, the shit made me re-visit "Cuban Linx Pt. II" for the first time in maybe a month or two. i can't believe it's already been 6 months since this album first leaked (picked it up the first day of release and played that shit daily for the first 3 months) and the shit still sounds plain incredible to my ears. Raekwon definitely took his time with this one to make sure he stood on real solid ground, following up the, maybe, greatest hip-hop album of all time is a damn hard task and while the sequel obviously doesn't live up to it's preceedor it's still carries on it's legacy in a tasteful manner.

looking back now i think Rae made a wise choice including a who's who of the best producers in the industry rather than letting RZA handle the entire album by himself. all the songs on here have a clear Wu influence to them and it's obvious that the involved beat-makers tried to honour the original sound of the "Ob4cl2" while still keeping the sound fresh and up to date. Raekwon sounds like a real vet on here, a respected man in the game who been through a whole lot, lost alot and is now hungry for redemption. The flow is more laid-back but it works well in the context and the wordplay is still imacculate, this guy has to be the illest slang-twister to ever emerge from New York; even spitting about drugs and crime stories for 75 minutes never get boring because of the vivid wordplay and slanged out tonge twisting. even when backed up by RZA, Dilla, Pete Rock, Marley Marl, Erick Sermon, The Alchemist, Dr. Dre, Scram Jones, MoSS, Allah Mathematics and others the album seems focused because they all striving towards a similair goal, incorporating alot of the formula from Part 1 to their respective sounds.

i'm glad i took a pause from this shit because revisiting it now, it seems it makes me appreciate it even more. i honestly don't think i, truthfully ever expected a Wu-Tang album this hot 15 years after "Ob4cl" but here we are. if i was gonna sit here and speak on favorite cuts i would have to throw like 2/3's of the album out there, and that's a fucking solid product from the top chef!

4.75/5

LORD ZERO
04-05-2010, 07:43 PM
*smacks myself for being skepitcal about this album*

ob4cl2 > wu massacre > manifesto

Ecomog
05-03-2010, 08:51 PM
I probably listened to pyrex vision like 300 times so far

knowledgeborn07
05-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Love raes new album...i was happy to see popa wu on it as well...i was lucky enough to have popa wu drop some knowledge on my album ... You can check it out for a free download go to

www.knowledgeborn07.com

add me on fb if ya dig

www.facebook.com/knowledgeborn07

Mai Wang Tu Phat
05-19-2010, 10:33 AM
I gave it a 7/10

Emperor
05-29-2010, 07:19 AM
The spirit in the lyrics is mad vivid.

Convincing, like it's cooked from a mind of a vet, experienced.

It sounds like Rae took his time to take this album to a new level of cinematography and when it came out, it came out splazzing.

This Wu-sound is incredibly high-powered and I hope there's more of it to come out.

pmack215
05-29-2010, 05:11 PM
OK, gotta admit... i was wrong about rae on this album. i was initially disappointed & thought his rhyme scheme was pretty weak. i've recently listened to the album a bunch of times thru headphones, and u can really decipher rae's rhymes that way. he really did come NICE on CL2.

however, i still hate the fact that... there's too little rae. i think for your own solo album, u should dominate songs. rae did NOT! other MC's had longer verses far too often, & he got out-rhymed far too often. that shouldnt happen, especially on an album of this caliber.
the same thing happened on CL1 (GFK)... and a lot of people know it. dont front!!
anyone ever overtake a GFK solo?

Twiztid-Wutang
07-05-2010, 05:38 PM
1)Return of the Northstar: Papa wu going on, talking about Rae coming up and shit. Trying to hit up Rae for some cash. Good intro to OB4CL 2
8/10

2) House Of Flying Daggers Featuring Inspectah Deck, Ghostface Killah & Method Man
This track is bananas. J-dilla, proves why he was one of the best, And this is one the best of his career. Putting Deck up first is always the cue that the track is gonna be nuts.
10/10

3) Sonny's Missing: Nice throwback sample from The Killer, reminicent of the original. The beat is perfect for Rae's flow. Pete rock, a beat that has been used before, but not as good as this, Rae ripped it.
9/10

4)Pyrex Vision: This slow, and brooding beat went well with Raekwons tired and exhausted flow, it sounds like he's been cooking for hours, I just wish it was longer.
9/10

5) Cold outside: The sample in the begining was great. The hook rang alittle too long, but the verses made up for it. The beat went well for this type of song.
7/10

6) "Black Mozart": This song, has been loved or hated by alot of you. I personally love it, Its not Rza's best, but to hear Rae over a Rza beat is enough for me. Deck went off on this joint.
8/10

7) Gihad: Necros is VERY underrated in the beat game. Raekwon and Necro are a great fit. I wish that Meth was on this joint
9/10

8) New Wu: This shit should of been on 8 diagrams. Damn I love this shit. Another Rza classic. Nothing was wrong with this song
10/10

9) "Penitentiary": Probrably the first track that really felt like OB4CL 1, besides Pyrex vision. Probrably my 2nd favorite track behind New wu.
10/10

10) Baggin crack: An erick sermon beat, and you can tell. You almost expect redman to rip it. Probrably the first track I didnt feel all that much. But its not terrible.
6/10

11) Surgical Gloves: Alchemist is becoming one of my favorite producers I swear. The loop usage in the background was phenominal. Lyrically Rae is at home on this.
9/10

12) Broken Safety: Another kung fu sample, and I always appreciate them. jadakiss and Styles are just as good together as Ghost/Rae. The beat itself sounds like a great freestyle beat, I dont know Scram jones, but I look forward to hearing more from him on the production tip
8/10

13) Canal Street: A sample that was used previously by Just, But I think Rae sounds better on it than Jada did. Perfect flow on this.
8/10

14) Ason Jones: The dirty tribute, its like he wasnt satisfied with the tribute on 8d, This one was cool, and I cant judge it since it wasnt for us

15) Have mercy: Beans is missed in the game in my opinion. The kung fu sample is perfect, and to hear Blue rasberry after all this time, AMAZING, Thats what Wu has been missing.
9/10

16) 10 bricks: J-dilla did an AMAZING job channeling a Rza like sound over this Wu crew cut. Cappa did decent, I expected better, but Ghost went off. ''I got a team of niggas movin my furs''
9/10

17) Fat lady sings: I think this joint went too long before it started which took away from it. The beat is okay, not perfect though.
6/10

18) Catalina: The sample from The Killer was great. The beat was real dry from Dre, Rae is not meant for his beats.
6/10

19) Mean streets: i dont like the hook, but the song in itself is good.
7/10

20) We will rob you: Rick sounds dumb on this track, The beat itself saves the song.
7/10

21) About me: Another dre beat, it sounds bad for Rae,again. This beat is for someone like Game or something.
6/10

22) Kiss the ring: One of the BEST end songs Ive heard on a wu album. I swear this shit is practically perfect.
10/10

Bonus tracks:
Walk wit me: This should have been on the album. Replaced one of the weaker tracks.
8/10

Badlands: This beat is fucking bonkers, Ghost hasnt went off like this in a while. I fucking love this shit.
9/10

188/240

This album is indeed one of Wu's best in a while

theheavens
07-06-2010, 01:47 PM
damn are they gonna release the gold edition yet, or do I have to cop this version? sucks not having The Badlands on there tho

claaa7
07-11-2010, 08:30 AM
^ the version with "Badlands" and "Walk With Me" was released at the same time as the regular US album. just order it from some international site and you'll get that version. i wouldn't hold my breath for a deluxe edition, doubt it will ever happen

Jin10304
08-24-2010, 01:21 AM
Now that Gold is out, we need some reviews for the bonus cuts like "Rockstars & Smoking Barrels", "Never Used To Matter" & the original About Me

claaa7
08-24-2010, 07:18 AM
i'ma write a review for "Rockstars & Smoking Barrells" later but it's a great thing we finally got these two tracks, it really made me go back and listen to the album on a regular basis again. it still holds up as well as when i first heard it, probably even better now since every time i bump it on the iPod my tracklisting has "State Of Grace" and "Rockstars..." replacing "Penitentiary" and "Canal Street". i would say if the album had kept those 2 RZA productions instead of the other 2 tracks i mentioned it plays like a true classic masterpiece from "Return Of The North Star" and "House Of Flying Daggers" to "Kiss The Ring".

"Walk With Me" is a great track as well, but 22 minutes at 70-73 minutes is enough music for an album imo. with these minor changes i'm confident saying 'Ob4cl2' is a 5/5 album, without the changes i'd say 4.5/5.

Crackhead Bob
08-24-2010, 08:34 AM
^^^replacing Penitentiary and Canal Street?

What a faggot.

Undiluted Karma
08-25-2010, 12:01 PM
This album was 4**** started off well. The Dre beats were average so was Baggin Crack and Kiss The Ring. Rockstars should have been included.

A great effort from Rae.

Jin10304
08-25-2010, 10:24 PM
So far I've replaced About Me with the original with Game on there. After Kiss The Ring mine looks like...

23. Walk Wit Me
24. The Badlands
25. Never Used To Matter
26. State Of Grace
27. Rockstars & Smoking Barrels

dragonkicks
08-27-2010, 10:01 PM
looking forward to get one....

hide1998
10-05-2010, 11:14 PM
A year later, and I'm still bumping this album. With the release of the Gold edition, and my iPhone, I reinserted the cut tracks (and switch the track order slightly). Unlike some others, I didn't think it was a good idea to remove any tracks (as all the track included in the original version were quality). Here is how OB4CLII look on my iPhone

1. Return of the Northstar
2. Crimonlogy 2
3. House of Flying Daggers
4. Sonny's Missing
5. Pyrex Vision
6. Cold Outside
7. Black Mozart
8. Gihad
9. New Wu
10. Penitentiary
11. Baggin Crack
12. Baggage Handlers
13. Surgical Gloves
14. Broken Safety
15. State of Grace
16. Canal Street
17. Ason Jones
18. Have Mercy
19. Never Matter To You
20. Rockstars
21. 10 Bricks
22. Fat Lady Sings
23. Catalina
24. We Will Rob You
25. Travel Places
26. The Badlands
27. About Me
28. Mean Streets
29. Kiss The Ring
30. Walk Wit Me

Hollow Dartz
02-06-2011, 01:40 AM
AYO I was blasting this shit earlier tonight, I'm bout to go pick up these females (its like 2:39 am lol) but yeah this album is #2 after Supreme Clientele in the category of Best post 1997 solo albums. This shit Fire. "The Last time i hit you kid, you made the top 30" lol Ghost is a nut!!! This album is fire, niggaz hatin for no reason. Critically acclaimed everywhere but HERE lol. SMH

THE W
03-13-2011, 09:03 PM
house of flying daggers 10/10
sonny's missing 10/10
pyrex vision 9/10
cold outside 7/10
black mozart 7/10
gihad 4/10
back from the slums(new wu) 10/10
penitentiary 7/10
baggin crack 6.5/10
surgical gloves 9.5/10
broken safety 8.5/10
canal street 6.5/10
ason jones 9/10
have mercy 7/10
10 brick 7.5/10
fat lady sings 5.5/10
catalina 4/10
we will rob you 9/10
about me 5/10
mean streets 8.5/10
kiss the ring 10/10

**walk with me 9.5/10
**state of grace 10/10
**rockstars 8.5/10
**never mattered to you 8.5/10

the insignificant
04-11-2011, 01:32 AM
i probably rate this slightly better than the lex diamond story (which i rated but was spoiled by a couple of terrible tracks)...

house of flying daggers is definitely the stand out for me... then probably surgical gloves... overall 3.5-4/5...

gamefacekillah
04-27-2011, 09:56 AM
i dont know bout yall but i still think kiss the ring is kinda gay....that beat sounds mad faggety

Socrates92
04-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Kiss the Ring's probably my 5th favourite song on the album (Cold Outside, Black Mozart, Ason Jones and New Wu ahead of it), MK kills it.

CharlesJones
06-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Wack album because of the beats. I was very disappointed. I didn't like the first Only Built 4 Cuban Linx and i don't know why Wu Tang fans call it a classic because it's not.

OPTIMUS
06-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Wack album because of the beats. I was very disappointed. I didn't like the first Only Built 4 Cuban Linx and i don't know why Wu Tang fans call it a classic because it's not.
http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/search.php?searchid=6592377
dude give it a rest look at all your posts this is "wack" thats wack "i heard this today and it sucks".. what was the last thing you liked?

Socrates92
06-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Cuban Linx not a classic, LOL

Crackhead Bob
06-17-2011, 02:38 PM
Change your name to Stan Marsh

Socrates92
06-17-2011, 02:50 PM
Haha, STAN MARSHHHH the darsh

Djaminha
08-30-2011, 04:33 PM
2 years on...this is a great album, still sounds fresh.

Wu Apprentice
07-27-2012, 03:25 AM
About Me is a really underrated track