PDA

View Full Version : We've had Beatles vs. Stones... but now, Beatles vs. Beach Boys, who was the best...?

Pattch82
07-23-2009, 05:58 PM
IMO these two groups were at the total forefront of musical experimenting in the 60's, they both pushed the boundaries so far beyond what went before.

I find it very difficult to pick between the two, they both came up at the same time and developed a friendly rivalry between the two with each group wanting to out do the other groups previous effort.

If Brian Wilson hadnt had his breakdown and released SMiLE in 1967 (it was scheduled to be releaeed before Sgt. Pepper) then I wouldnt hesitate to pick the Beach Boys, but as it was, he did have his breakdown and the Beach Boys released the Smiley Smile dud instead.

IMO Brian Wilson had the most amazing musical talent I've ever seen, and the purest singing voice too, those falsetto notes are fuckin' awesome!!!

I think I'm gonna go with the Beach Boys on this one, cos although the Beatles released alot of brilliant music, they had alot of help from George Martin in the studio with experimenting and recording techniques, they would basically tell George Martin what kinda sound they were wanting for a certain record and he would go out and find the right instrument or think of a way to get that sound. Whereas with the Beach Boys everything fell on Brian Wilson's shoulders, experimenting, writing the music, performing the music, production, running the recording sessions, and sometimes the lyrics too.

Pet Sounds is probably one of my top albums of all times, along with Rubber Soul.

The stuff that Brian was working on during 66-68 just makes my brain boggle, the whole Good Vibrations experiments and the Heroes & Villains track and then tryin to carry that over into a full album (which would have been SMiLE)

I've rambled on abit excessively here but these are two of my all time favourite groups, so I could talk for days about this shit.

I'm gonna vote Beach Boys for now, but my mind may change depending on my mood!

Thoughts anyone...?

Peace!

oDoUoSoKo
07-23-2009, 06:31 PM
i knew in order for someone to make this thread, theyd have to vote beach boys...im gonna wait til i vote, and think it over.

The Hound
07-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Still The Beatles.

MAYOR QUIMBY
07-24-2009, 12:24 AM
^Co-Sign.

oDoUoSoKo
07-24-2009, 05:09 PM
see, now..after careful consideration, ima say beatles...beach boys kill tho..just not as much dopeness as beatles.

ShaDynasty
07-24-2009, 06:12 PM
The Beatles of course, but I would say 'Pet Sounds' rivals any beatles joint and thats an achievement in itself.

Tommy
07-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Seeing as I rate The Beatles over any band, I'm going with them.

Visionz
07-29-2009, 01:33 AM
I haven't dived into the sounds of the Beach Boys the way that I have the Beatles so I feel like I'm too biased to answer the question at hand.

fun lil fact though......Brian Wilson was deathly scared of the water.....Yep, the guy who wrote Surfin Safari absolutely refused to go into the ocean.

the scarecrow
07-29-2009, 01:39 PM
beach boys

Inspectah_Dirk
08-02-2009, 06:39 AM
Beatles, hands down. Yeah, i voted Wu-Tang...but that was just for fun.

Edgar Erebus
08-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Can't be even compared, 9/10 of Beach Boys' career was bullshit. Only had, like, three good albums.

Krusha
09-09-2009, 06:49 AM
Beatles!

tajeco
09-18-2009, 03:29 AM
The Beatles. Not close really for me. Even though Paul McCartney and Brian Wilson were influencing each other (Rubber Soul inspired Pet Sounds which inspired Sgt Pepper), I think a better comparison is putting the Beach Boys against The Cowsills or The Byrds or even The Band.

oDoUoSoKo
09-18-2009, 08:12 AM
The Beach Boys and The Band? lmao...not really that good of a comparison.

tajeco
09-18-2009, 04:03 PM
You're right. The Cowsills and The Byrds though.