PDA

View Full Version : Just got PS3: a couple questions

Mic Tyson
07-26-2009, 08:03 PM
yo i just got a ps3 a few hours ago but haven't gotten to opening it yet. i see that a few of yall have it so i had a couple questions

1. what are some good ps3 exclusive games? preferably online?(i have mgs4, killzone, and uncharted)

2. i see that its backwards compatible but i was wondering if the ps2 games will look all messed up if u have an hdtv. on my 360 they put the xbox games in a small box on my tv and the graphics look like shit. will ps3 upscale ps2 games to fit the screen?

3. is it true that u can watch movies on the ps3 from a usb flash drive?

thanks yall

BRONZBODY
07-26-2009, 08:28 PM
welcome to da darkside son.

1.infamous, little big planet(if u like that kind of stuff) heavenly sword,ninja gaiden sigma,resistance 1 and 2, socom(its been patched alot so its alot better now)

2.depending on what ps3 u have since certain ones can play ps2 games. all ps3 play ps1 games and the ps3 does smooth the ps1 game and upscales ps2 games.

20,60 and the first gen 80 gig ps3's only play ps2 games(first gen 80gigs by software emulation like the 360) and the 40, new 80gig models and the 160 gig models do not unfortunately.

3.yes if u have a flash drive or external hdd you can watch movies with them. also if u plan to stream movies off ur pc i would reccomend ps3 media server(just google it) it works like a charm.

Bobby_Digital72
07-26-2009, 08:52 PM

2.depending on what ps3 u have since certain ones can play ps2 games. all ps3 play ps1 games and the ps3 does smooth the ps1 game and upscales ps2 games.

I Believe there is a free patch in the playstation store so that you can play ps2 games on your Ps3, if you can't already.

Bloo
07-26-2009, 10:57 PM
I Believe there is a free patch in the playstation store so that you can play ps2 games on your Ps3, if you can't already.

Na, doesn't exist homie. You gotta have a compatible PS3.

Some people bitch about the image quality in the PS2 games on a hi def TV with the PS3, but for most of the late releases they don't look any worse than a Wii game since most newer PS2 titles (2005 and up) usually have an option to run in 480p. But like bronz said, it will upscale the image to full screen if you enable it, plus there's a smoothing option that helps a bit.

Mic Tyson
07-27-2009, 12:06 AM
wow my ps3 better be compatible. thats just stupid that they would do somethin like that. mine is newer so it might not be but i guess ill know tom. when i hook it up

Bloo
07-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Well if you bought yours brand new retail, then chances are it's not. Like Bronz said, the new 80GB and 160GB models aren't.

I myself decided to hold out. Found a dude selling a 60GB on craigslist and snatched that shit up. Best model as it is compatible with ALL PS2 software as it has the actual PS2 hardware in it.

RagnaroK
07-27-2009, 07:03 AM
Best quote ever and in the first reply perfect timing

1)You seems to have the best already but wait till MAG arrives

2)Backward compatibility was remove from all new PS3 since the end of last year to down price the console i heard there'll be a new free patch for download with the emulators so you can play PS2 & PS1 games not sure if its true or not
mine is compatible yes it is the same as 360 with the box but you can change it on settings to full screen

3)yes you can but it depends on the format of the video if PS3 can read it

some other thing that might be of interest:
You can use your USB external HD on the PS3 and backup your games save data and utilities and use it on other PS3 also download any update on your PC and with the USB transfer it to the PS3
You can use your PS3 controller on your PC and a computer controller on your PS3 but only works with PS3 games
You can use any bluetooth as a headset
You can change your HD for a laptop HD with more GB
I don't know if this is true but you can use up to 8 controllers of course the additional controllers through Bluetooth

Kingkazim
07-27-2009, 07:58 AM
1. what are some good ps3 exclusive games? preferably online?(i have mgs4, killzone, and uncharted)

LBP for a rent. infamous is pretty cool although its not online.
int he future be sure to get MAG 256 player online ps3 exclusive FPS, also GOD OF WAR 3, ff14 online, Heavy Rain (not online but great game), unharted 2 which is online and with 5 player co-op

p-rok73
07-27-2009, 04:07 PM
I think the PS3's after the Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle were not compatible with PS2 games. A good exclusive game to get would be MLB The Show 09.

Dirty Knowledge
07-27-2009, 05:46 PM
When the fuck is PS3 dropping its prices?

Mr. X
07-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Price dropped last fall. The 80GB went down $100.

Tage
07-28-2009, 12:19 PM
if you want to watch movies via your ps3 from a usb flash drive... if when you access it via the XMB it says "no files found" (or something), remember to get the options up(/\) and press view all.... and you can play it.

food for thought
07-28-2009, 12:40 PM
how much are they going for now?

Mic Tyson
07-28-2009, 01:55 PM
how much are they going for now?

Slide
07-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Ohh shit

Mic Tyson
07-29-2009, 12:48 AM
ok now i have a problem. i just hooked this shit up today, made a psn and downloaded the system update and everything. i put in a gamer, and nothing happens. the game doesn't start, and the game icon doesn't show up neither. i restored to factory settings and still nothin. hopefully im just stupid and not doing somethin simple

Mr. X
07-29-2009, 02:18 AM
doesn't autostart or show up in the game column?

Bloo
07-29-2009, 02:29 AM
I don't know if this is true but you can use up to 8 controllers of course the additional controllers through Bluetooth

Yeah, the PS3 supports up to 8 controllers. Now only if there was a game that took advantage of that...

ok now i have a problem. i just hooked this shit up today, made a psn and downloaded the system update and everything. i put in a gamer, and nothing happens. the game doesn't start, and the game icon doesn't show up neither. i restored to factory settings and still nothin. hopefully im just stupid and not doing somethin simple

Sounds strange, if it's a PS3 disc it should see it just fine. Might be a rotten console. Keep the receipt :)

Tage
07-29-2009, 08:31 AM

lol.... unlucky.... you sure the game hasnt popped up in the game column of the XMB?

Mic Tyson
07-29-2009, 11:51 AM
yea no game disc shows up. i still have the receipt from best buy hopefully they can just switch it out at the store.

Tage
07-29-2009, 01:11 PM
thats fucked up, man. when you do get it working... check the psn id thread.