PDA

View Full Version : Soul Music - Suggestions?

kurupt_kw
07-31-2009, 11:36 AM
I've always appreciated soul music but never really got into it to the point where I would look for it. As I get older I find I'm liking it more and more but I'm clueless as to what I should check out or where to even start. I'm hoping I could get some suggestions on certain tracks I should check out and then I could go from there and expand on my own. Even if you think it's an obvious track that I should know, please suggest.

I'm partial to laid back smooth soul like Otis Redding - Sitting on the Dock of the Bay.

EDIT - Sorry if there are threads like this already. I tried doing a search but couldn't really find what I was looking for.

War and Peace
07-31-2009, 03:02 PM
find an album called "Marvin Gaye: A Musical Testament 1961-1984"

heres a couple tracks off of it>

QRvVzaQ6i8A

ZzWEalq6eOU&feature=related

8inA8kXRPKU

X5DVikHnSFg&feature=related

War and Peace
07-31-2009, 03:13 PM
marvin's "i want you " album from 1976 is 100% mellow, you can just put it on and let it play-

heres a couple tracks off it,
just look at the album cover>

GH-uW-LxNpE&feature=related

dyIUR9l5pWI&feature=related

kurupt_kw
07-31-2009, 03:41 PM
Nice. I really only knew Marvin's obvious tracks (and love them) but I'm definitely going to have to check out that I Want You album. Those other tracks are nice also, just a little too slow for me to really get into.

Rep.

p-rok73
07-31-2009, 04:27 PM
I like to listen to the more obscure stuff, anyway I listen to a compilation called Soul Sides Vol. One, it's site is www.Soul-Sides.com. The album has more obscure soul songs than other compilations. Some artists on there are famous like Donny Hathaway, Johnny "Guitar" Watson, etc. but some aren't as famous but you might recognize some samples that hiphop artists might have used before.

kurupt_kw
07-31-2009, 05:38 PM
Good suggestion. I checked out that compilation and expanded on it a bit and found some nice Donny Hathaway, Johnny Watson tracks. I like that Weldon Irvine - Morning Sunrise song. There are still more I want to look into but youtube is being a bitch on me this afternoon.

Droppinthese
07-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Anything by Sly and the Family Stone. Some songs are more funkier than others, but do have soul incorporated.

Everybody is a Star
Everyday people

those are more soul songs..

Uncle Steezo
08-01-2009, 12:10 AM
these are just a sample of my fav soul artists.
since you mentioned otis redding i'll start with Al Green, he has that same "dock of the bay" vibe
C5AS_l71-Wc
M8AtyaxgtOU
jfWPDGWP568

isley bros
this is one of my fav songs of all time
Kd2sOqbIcaM

3rNx9_yBDVQ
glhdcJ7K3XM

Teddy pendergrass
rV9VuPkIIv4
xo9df0kQx1k

ojays
ydn8Q85_gF0

chi-lites
tvQ94NYSMCQ

delphonics
UXt47-XRB5I

dramatics
UXt47-XRB5I

floaters
gT_9OUvmb5I

stylistics
lXqu3sLZj88
nI4re4gMpSM

war
oKKMdmPBWRk

i'll post more groups later but this should get you started.

Mumm Ra
08-01-2009, 06:01 AM
ah I love soul music, really been getting into it the past year or two

besides the great list above I'll give you a few names and a song to check out:
Ann Peebles - Troubles, Heartaches & Sadness
Linda Jones - I Who Have Nothing
Billie Holiday if you're into super old school shit - I personally like her music a lot
CURTIS MAYFIELD - If There's Hell Below, Freddie's Dead
JAMES BROWN - I Lost Someone, Down and Out in New York City
The Main Ingredient - Summer Breeze

lay back and peep that shit

Mumm Ra
08-01-2009, 06:04 AM
oh and if you're into downloading torrents check isohunt.com and search for soul music - there's a few torrents with over a gig worth of various big time soul artists.
good way to expand your soul horizons

Uncle Steezo
08-01-2009, 08:14 AM
damn Ra, how did i forget about curtis? yo my man laid down a 1:30 intro to this shit without singing a single word.
ItGc89xlj5g
the superfly soundtrack is like a curtis greatest hits album.

and since we are talkin bout smooth pimp shit

issaac "chef" hayes aka black moses
498V4A_9o4M
U5tqAbrZeX0

as i'm looking thru related vids, i realize that this thread is gonna be the shit once it reaches a few pages. next time i'm relaxin with a lady i'm just gonna go to it and run down the list.

SKANK HILL
08-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Is Bill Withers soul? I don't know much about the genre but Withers is the fucking shit and a lot of his good stuff isn't on youtube, fuck youtube.

qv5pagal-ls
2Wpof8s5ZTg
6-cB33-tNKg

kurupt_kw
08-04-2009, 10:28 AM
I was going to hold my comments till I checked all of the suggested tracks but I had to jump in and thank Gavin for suggesting that Al Greene - Love and Happiness track. I'm loving it!!

Thanks for the input guys. You're making my search for great soul tracks much easier. Rep for all.

Mic Tyson
08-04-2009, 07:56 PM
the staples singers and curtis mayfield- let's do it again soundtrack

CharlesJones
08-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Bill Withers has done a few songs i like such as Lovely Day and Use Me. Lean On Me is nice too but Club Nouveau did a better version of it. Marvin Gaye's I Want You album i didn't like. He was a great singer though. I like Just To Keep You Satisfied song from his Let's Get It On album. You should check out his Midnight Love album that has the hit song Sexual Healing. He has another nice love song on there called Til Tomorrow. His last album Dream Of A Lifetime is decent. He has some good jams on there like Sanctified Lady(he curses a little on this one LOL), Savage In The Sack, Masochistic Beauty(he also curses on this LOL). James Crow, those are nice Isley Brothers songs you posted. I don't like For The Love Of You song. Teddy Pendergrass's Love TKO, Turn Off The Lights, Come Go With Me, Close The Door songs are classics. I got his greatest hits double cd that BET network advertised a long time ago. It has the unreleased song Now Is The Time To Do It and that's a nice song. His Joy album is real good. That came out in 1988 i believe. So sad that he's paralyzed now because the brother is a good singer. His handicap didn't stop him from making albums. He hasn't done one in a long time but he did some in the 80's and 90's. I didn't like most of the songs he did with Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes but i do like If You Don't Know Me By Now, I Miss You, Wake Up Everybody songs.

I hope you like funk music because i love the funk. I wanna smell the funk hahahahahahahahahaha. There was several funk bands from the 70's and 80's that i love like Cameo, Dazz Band, The Gap Band, Parliament/Funkadelic, Con Funk Shun, Kool And The Gang, Zapp, Slave, The SOS Band, Midnight Star, Ready For The World, Lakeside, The Deele(Babyface used to be with them before he went solo and did wack songs LOL), Raydio(Ray Parker Jr used to be with them).

Check out these albums Kurupt KW

1. The Isley Brothers-The Heat Is On, Harvest For The World, Go For Your Guns, Showdown, Winner Takes All, Go All The Way, Grand Slam, Between The Sheets, The Real Deal(this album sucks but it's 3 good jams on here), Spend The Night(this is a Ronald Isley solo album), Smooth Sailin(this also sounds like a Ronald Isley solo album because i don't hear his brothers on there), Body Kiss(this album is really terrible and i was disappointed because the first single was the nice song with R Kelly called What Would You Do and the 2nd single was Busted. The woman who sings with him on Busted is his wife.)
2. Isley Jasper Isley-Caravan Of Love(this album has the hit songs Insatiable Woman and Caravan Of Love. There's also 2 jams on here called Liberation and High Heel Syndrome. Ernie Isley, Chris Jasper, Marvin Isley formed this group and Ernie and Chris sing lead on different songs. I didn't think Ernie and Chris could sing good because Ronald Isley sang lead on damn near every Isley Brothers song hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Isley Jasper Isley also did 2 more albums that i haven't heard but i saw them at Amazon.com but they're outta print. I wanna hear those albums.)
3. Raydio-Two Places At The Same Time(this is the group that Ray Parker Jr was with. This is a good album. I like the jams on here For Those Who Like To Groove and It's Time To Party Now. I also like the love songs Tonight's The Night, Can't Keep From Crying, Two Places At The Same Time.)
4. The Deele-Street Beat(Babyface used to be with this group and so was LA Reid who works for Def Jam records now. Him and Babyface used to be the owners of LaFace records. Street Beat album is real good. There's several funky jams on here like Body Talk, Sexy Love, Street Beat, Video Villain, Workin 9 To 5. I also like the love songs Just My Luck and Crazy Bout Cha. Their last album Eyes Of A Stranger was decent. I like the hit songs Shoot Em Up Movies and Two Occasions. I wish they hadn't broken up because their music was funky. Babyface's solo music is wack compared to the music he did with The Deele.)
5. Con Funk Shun-To The Max, Seven, Fever
6. Kool And The Gang-Ladies Night, Celebrate, Something Special, As One, In The Heart, Emergency
7. Dazz Band-Keep It Live, Joystick, Jukebox, The Hot Spot, On The One, Let The Music Play(this album wasn't that good but the classic love song Knock Knock is on here. They're from my hometown Cleveland, Ohio. I thought the lead singer Skip Martin was from Cleveland but he's from Oakland, California. My mom told me she met him once at a family reunion.)
8. Cameo-Secret Omen, Feel Me, Cameosis(this album sucks but i like the hit song Shake Your Pants), Alligator Woman, Style, She's Strange, Single Life, Word Up
9. Zapp-Zapp(this album sucks but the classic songs More Bounce To The Ounce and Be Alright(2Pac sampled this for Keep Ya Head Up song)are on here, Zapp II, Zapp III, The New Zapp IV U(this album sucks but the tight songs It Doesn't Really Matter and Computer Love(2Pac also sampled this for I Get Around song. Notorious Big also sampled it for Me And My Bitch remix)are on here.
10. The Gap Band-Gap Band II, Gap Band III, Gap Band IV, Gap Band V(Jammin), Gap Band VI
11. Midnight Star-No Parking On The Dance Floor, Planetary Invasion, Headlines
12. Ready For The World-Ready For The World(this album has the classics Tonight, Digital Display, Oh Sheila, I'm The One Who Loves You, Slide Over), Long Time Coming(this has the classic love song Let Me Love You Down.)
13. Bell Biv Devoe-Poison(this was the best r&b album of the 90's to me), Hootie Mack
14. Johnny Gill-Johnny Gill(this is the only album of his i've heard and it has the tight songs Rub You The Right Way, Wrap My Body Tight, Lady Dujour, Just Another Lonely Night, Giving My All To You. He's a good singer but he sings way too many love songs. I wish he would've sang more funky jams. I used to have his Provocative album but the only song i remember from it is the jam The Floor.)
15. Bobby Brown-Don't Be Cruel, Bobby, Forever(this was his last album and it was slept on also. He has some nice songs on there.), King Of Stage(this is his first album and it was slept on. It's not that bad.) I wish he would've done some more albums because he was talented. It's a shame what happened to him.
16. New Edition-Candy Girl, New Edition, All For Love, Heartbreak, Home Again
17. Ralph Tresvant-Ralph Tresvant(lead singer of New Edition. This album was his first one and it has the nice songs Sensitivity and Last Night. This album disappointed me because he had too many love songs on here and not enough jams. The songs Love Takes Time and Stone Cold Gentleman with Bobby Brown are also nice. I haven't heard his other 2 albums).
18. The Time-The Time, What Time Is It, Ice Cream Castle(this album sucks but the jams Jungle Love and The Bird are on here.)
19. Jesse Johnson-Jesse Johnson's Revue(he used to be with The Time and this is his first solo album and it's real good. I like the songs Be Your Man, I Want My Girl, Just Too Much, Let's Have Some Fun, Can You Help Me.)
20. Keith Sweat-Make It Last Forever(this album is his first and it's real good. I don't listen to his other albums because he sings too many love songs but he's a good singer. I like the song he did with Gerald Levert and Aaron Hall called Funky Dope Lovin that's on his Twisted album.)
21. Tony Toni Tone-The Revival, Sons Of Soul, House Of Music(these albums are real good but Raphael Saddiq's solo albums are wack LOL.)
22. Guy-Guy(this album is a classic and it's their first. It has the classics Groove Me, Teddy's Jam, Piece Of My Love, I Like, Goodbye Love. I haven't heard their other 2 albums.)
23. Silk-Lose Control, Love Session
24. Boyz II Men-Cooleyhighharmony(this is the only album of their's i like LOL. They sing too many love songs so i don't mess with their other albums. Uhh Ahh, It's So Hard To Say Goodbye, Motownphilly are my favorite songs on the first album.)
25. The Jacksons-The Jacksons, Destiny, Triumph, Victory, 2300 Jackson Street
26. Jermaine Jackson-Let's Get Serious, Jermaine Jackson(this album has the nice songs Dynamite, Escape From The Planet Of The Ape Men, Tell Me I'm Not Dreamin with Michael Jackson, Do What You Do, Come To Me, Some Things Are Private.)

CharlesJones
08-07-2009, 01:24 PM
The Dramatics-Shake It Well, Any Time Any Place(i love these albums especially Any Time Any Place. That album has several jams like I Just Wanna Dance With You, Bottom Line Woman, Get With The Band And Dance, I Think About You. L.J. Reynolds who was the lead singer has a strong voice and he's underrated. I wish these albums were available to buy on cd.)
Levert-Just Coolin(this is a real good album. Their other albums disappointed me because they have too many love songs. They have some jams on Just Coolin album.)

wuswordz95
08-07-2009, 04:55 PM
david porter the masqueade is over is good. and samples that madlib uses.

Mumm Ra
08-09-2009, 07:40 PM
been running through my page of soul songs I wanna sample today - ahhh I love this shit

and I just found this:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ui-PZtAfNbk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ui-PZtAfNbk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
James Brown is the fucking man, check the godly moves

New Hills 36
11-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Not a suggestion but an 'avoid at all costs'

Seal's Soul album.

I had high hopes but it really is BAD

CharlesJones
11-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Seal is a ugly dude hahahahahahahahahahahaha. He knows that money is the only reason Heidi Klum is with him LOL. If he doesn't know that, he should know it LOL. Cute women wouldn't give him the time of day if he wasn't a singer LOL.

New Hills 36
11-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Heidi Klum! That's a bit of all right it must be said but everytime I see her or think of her I can't help thinking of RZA's verse on Presidential MC. Plum sauce anyone?

Charles - here is a question for you. I'll answer it too. Would you give a shit if Heidi (or similar goddess) was only after you for your money? In truth I'm not totally sure it would bother me. But it might. Probably not tho.

fatboybrandon
11-14-2009, 07:22 PM
By using this forum, we're now in the midst of a hip hop group who mastered the art of soul music in sampling, maybe there should be more structured info here about the history of American soul for people. I have thought for awhile that members of Wu Tang could start their own school if they wanted to.

http://www.wu-international.com/CameosBsidesBreaks/Breaks.htm

Here are some of my favorite Hip Hop albums created primarily from Soul. I think it's a good start if you're a hip hop fan is to check the credits of albums like these, if you've already gained a sense and liking to the sound from listening to some of these classics:

Big Daddy Kane - Long Live The Kane
Genius - Words From The Genius
Raekwon - Only Built For Cuban Linx
Eric B & Rakim - Paid In Full
Stezo - Crazy Noise
EPMD - Strictly Business
Jay-Z - The Blueprint
Scarface - The Fix
Lord Finesse - Funky Technician

I think another fun way to learn about Soul is watching movies of the 70's that featured the music on soundtrack, like the Blaxploitation ones. That way you can watch their way of life, learn about the artists and how the music was created from it. Isaac Hayes & David Porter is a good place to start, two prolific song writers who had a great impact on the Soul genre as a team. By studying the cultural aspects of Soul, it's a more interesting, memorable learning experience to help draw you into the music.

http://kevinnottingham.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/isaac-hayes-the-look-of-love.jpg

Take a look at the story of Isaac Hayes life alone, and you'll see a very inspiring story of life, he is a black man who rose from poverty in the South, to become an acclaimed musician, enterpreneur and humanitarian.

Lou Courtney - I'm In Need Of Love 1974 A great example of the sound I define as Soul, with many great songs.

http://www.funkmysoul.gr/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/lou-courtney-front-lp.jpg
http://www.funkmysoul.gr/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/lou-courtney-back-lp.jpg

Syl Johnson, Al Green, Mayfield, Aretha, Marva, Vicki Anderson, Creative Source, Main Ingredient, Rufus, Spinners, JBs, Bobby Byrd, Hathaway, Emotions and many obscure groups on 45rpm. Studying the catalog roster of certain favorite labels like Stax and Hot Wax is also a good way to go.

http://www.soulsvilleusa.com/

Mumm Ra
11-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Ironman is another album mainly produced from soul music

oDoUoSoKo
11-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Al Green..all day.

Shogah
11-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Al green is dope, i like the pitch of his voice.

I downloaded recently Down To Earth, stevie wonder album, which includes some singer also, its very nice.

oDoUoSoKo
11-16-2009, 09:45 PM
fuck soul music..Doo Wop is where its at man

Mumm Ra
11-16-2009, 09:52 PM
fuck to soul music..
fixed