PDA

View Full Version : souljaboy and wayne are more hip hop than you.

Uncle Steezo
08-03-2009, 10:24 AM
if:
you only consume hip hop and don't live the hip hop culture.

what about YOU is hip hop?

wayne and tellem' rap
do you?

can you dance?
are you a dj?
are you a graf artist?

if the answer is "no" kindly shut the fuck up about jeezy, gucci, wayne, soulja boy or anyone else cause you are not hip hop...they are.

snapple
08-03-2009, 10:29 AM
i get what you're saying....

but seriously....

you one of little wayne or soulja boy's workers or something lol..

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-03-2009, 10:34 AM
are you saying that you have to participate in hip hop in order to criticize it?

because that's childish...that's like if i say transformers 2 was trash, you respond with "i don't see you making any movies"...it's silly.

i'll agree criticizing somebody on the basis of whether or not they're 'hip hop' is asinine because no one's going to agree on a definition of that, plus it's just a banal critique anyway; it's just a substitute for a valid argument...but i don't need to rap or do anything other than listen to hip hop in order to have the opinion that soulja boy is untalented, his music is shrill, juvenile, generally annoying, and not suitable for anybody over the age of 15.

what are you getting at here?

snapple
08-03-2009, 10:38 AM
are you saying that you have to participate in hip hop in order to criticize it?

because that's childish...that's like if i say transformers 2 was trash, you respond with "i don't see you making any movies"...it's silly.

i'll agree criticizing somebody on the basis of whether or not they're 'hip hop' is asinine because no one's going to agree on a definition of that, plus it's just a banal critique anyway; it's just a substitute for a valid argument...but i don't need to rap or do anything other than listen to hip hop in order to have the opinion that soulja boy is untalented, his music is shrill, juvenile, generally annoying, and not suitable for anybody over the age of 15.

^^ yadayadayada "I'm not hiphop" yadayadayada

DrBold241
08-03-2009, 10:42 AM
hip hop has a different meaning for everybody.
for me the music is just poetry over a beat, not necessarily complex. that's what makes unique production and witty lyricism. this is why DOOM, Dilla, and Madlib are HIP HOP to me.
DOOM's mask is nothing short of an inspiration.

Uncle Steezo
08-03-2009, 10:43 AM
soulja boy is my biological son.
i'm just sick of people who try to define what hip hop is but only thing hip hop about them is their taste in music.

any real hip hopper will tell you hip hop is a lifestyle.

the most "non hip hop" rapper is more hip hop than the person who has the biggest underground backpack rap collection and can spit every Talib verse backward.

hip hop is about creativity. some of yall don't create shit. you consume.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-03-2009, 10:45 AM
^^^^ snapple, you're a dumbass incapable of coming up with anything interesting to say

thanks for contributing to the discussion

james, his music's not good
fuck all the hip hop or not bullshit
the music sucks
sorry

Uncle Steezo
08-03-2009, 10:48 AM

no transformers2 is not a culture. hip hop is.

yes i'm saying you have to participate in hip hop to criticize it. this protects the culture from losing its identity.

and it goes deeper than
mc
dj
bboy
artist

but thats a start.

Uncle Steezo
08-03-2009, 10:51 AM
reagardless whether it sucks or not, he's more hip hop than you are.
because you are not hip hop.
you LIKE hip hop but you ARE NOT hip hop.

SHAoLiN LoRD
08-03-2009, 10:51 AM
The threadstarter must be the same guy posting as wutang killa bee bounty hunter on the thread below:
http://2dopeboyz.okayplayer.com/2009/08/03/mista-mista-x-redman-method-man-video/#comment-163948

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-03-2009, 10:53 AM
^^^i'm sorry but that's bullshit...music either has aesthetic value or it doesn't it...sometimes an outsider can give you a more valid critique than an insider, because they don't have the bias of being firmly entrenched in the culture. somebody from japan may come up with a critique of american society that's on point that none of us have thought of because we live here and just accept certain facets of it as a given.
you're talking about protecting hiphop's identity, but what you're promoting is homogenity...you have to get outsider perspective in order to avoid stagnation and repetition.

TAURO
08-03-2009, 10:55 AM
yes i'm saying you have to participate in hip hop to criticize it..

As Joe Budden recently learned, it's not nice to criticise your peers. Artists accept critique from fans but they don't take too kindly from those that actively take part in the culture.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-03-2009, 10:57 AM
reagardless whether it sucks or not, he's more hip hop than you are.
because you are not hip hop.
you LIKE hip hop but you ARE NOT hip hop.

here's the thing:
i know i'm not hip hop
i don't want to be hip hop
i don't care about being being hip hop
and his music is garbage.

quantify or qualify "being hip hop"
it's completely irrelevant to any discussion of a song or album's artistic merit or even simple enjoyability.

gucci mane is hip hop but his music sucks...so i'm supposed to give a shit that he's hip hop? that gives him a pass to make inane garbage music? this is stupid.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-03-2009, 10:59 AM
As Joe Budden recently learned, it's not nice to criticise your peers. Artists accept critique from fans but they don't take too kindly from those that actively take part in the culture.

exactly
because it's seen as 'hating' or in the interest of competition and not as actual criticism, and then of course, the merit of your art is automatically called into question and it becomes a pissing contest.

Uncle Steezo
08-03-2009, 11:02 AM
no.
hip hop is universal.
it encompasses all cultures, ages, religions, languages, musical genres, nationalities.
an "outsider" has nothing to contribute. they are just on the outside.
consuming hip hop is fine. there are plenty of consumers.
but those who live the culture are the ones who define it.

and yes there is a definition of what hip hop is.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-03-2009, 11:03 AM
and does making some songs, tagging a wall, breaking, djing a party...whatever...does doing these things automatically make you 'hip hop' regardless of a lack of skill or talent? is macho man hip hop since he came out with a rap album? is samantha ronson hip hop? you see what i'm getting at?

this thread is built on a foundation of swiss cheese

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-03-2009, 11:06 AM
how do you live hip hop?
how is soulja boy living hip hop more than somebody who buys the albums and lives a generic working class existence?

and please answer this:
gucci mane is hip hop but his music sucks...so i'm supposed to give a shit that he's hip hop? that gives him a pass to make inane garbage music?

Uncle Steezo
08-03-2009, 11:06 AM
here's the thing:
i know i'm not hip hop
and his music is garbage.

quantify or qualify "being hip hop"
it's completely irrelevant to any discussion of a song or album's artistic merit or even simple enjoyability.

gucci mane is hip hop but his music sucks...so i'm supposed to give a shit that he's hip hop? that gives him a pass to make inane garbage music? this is stupid.

look at the title of my thread....
then look at where you took the discussion....

you could have posted this and been done
i know i'm not hip hop

come on pan...effective communication.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-03-2009, 11:09 AM
an "outsider" has nothing to contribute. they are just on the outside.

I already refuted this: an outsider can bring a fresh perspective unencumbered with the biases that being entrenched in a culture can give you. If you were to suddenly be thrust into the machine of government, you could probably come up with questions and solutions that people who are part of the washington political culture have never thought of...because they have been stuck in the same culture for so long and not exposed to new ideas that they have grown stagnant.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-03-2009, 11:13 AM
look at the title of my thread....
then look at where you took the discussion....

you could have posted this and been done

come on pan...effective communication.

uh...the intial post in the thread already took it into the realm of "you have to be hip hop to criticize it", so i didn't take it anywhere that it wasn't already meant to go...don't act like the title of the thread was the sole topic of discussion now.

and don't be condescending man...you're taking it into the realm of insults and snark which is itself the death of effective communication.

YungSunny
08-03-2009, 11:18 AM
James Crow, every hip hop fan either raps or makes between the sheets sampled songs on fruity loops 8.
Lol.

Uncle Steezo
08-03-2009, 11:21 AM
this thread is about being hip hop.
you said you don't want to be hip hop.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-03-2009, 11:26 AM
^^^no, the thread was about "you can't criticize these wack assholes if you're not hip hop (participating in the 'culture' of hip hop in some way)"

but since your arguments have no traction you want to change the ballgame.
i see it's useless having a debate with you, you have ignored the majority of the questions i've asked which poke holes in your argument.

Tage
08-03-2009, 11:26 AM

blockbuster movies are a culture.
soulja boy is not.

snap.

Poetic Wun
08-03-2009, 11:41 AM

yes i'm saying you have to participate in hip hop to criticize it. this protects the culture from losing its identity.

and it goes deeper than
mc
dj
bboy
artist

but thats a start.
i kinda agree but not completely... i will make my comments about the Houri but can i make honest arguments against the Muslims or NOI or whomevers belief that is? i know nothing of them but from some of the bizarre beliefs i've heard, why should i take time out of my day to understand them? i'm a catholic so i've got enough on my plate already lol... i honestly believe if i took time to read the Qur'an front to back i wouldn't find the beliefs any less outlandish but that's not my place to believe them.

i do live a hip-hop lifestyle. though i don't DJ (unless we can consider Windows Media Center a new age turn table....no?) but i been doin me in hip-hop.... i can also say Wayne is NOT hip-hop... he is another rapper who raps and styles himself in some new pseudo rock emo/hood garbage of an image. And don't say hip hop is what you make it cause thats just inane. at one point yeah it kinda is (like what P was sayin in the pac/lupe thread) but you cant have some long ass curly jew hair & wear platforms w/rhinestone belts but cause 90% of your cd/mp3 catalog is hip hop, your hip hop.

As for Solja Boy... i'm on the fence. on one side he does have some hip-hop qualities... on another i see him promoting his ringtones more than his album. He is basically some naive kid that is marketable and grew up on 50. it's one thing when niggas did the Harlem shake or whatever but when people start exploiting that it becomes a shame.

also... if i were to say solja boy is very much hip hop, that shouldn't mean much... just cause one is hip hop don't mean they make "Kwelity" music... they can still suck as they both do... along with drake.

Compulsion
08-03-2009, 12:03 PM
if:

wayne and tellem' rap
do you?

can you dance?
are you a dj?
are you a graf artist?

if the answer is "no" kindly shut the fuck up about jeezy, gucci, wayne, soulja boy or anyone else cause you are not hip hop...they are.

I get where you are coming from, but if i you look at it like that then no one can criticize anyone for anything.....

ALCATRAZ
08-03-2009, 12:08 PM
the most "non hip hop" rapper is more hip hop than the person who has the biggest underground backpack rap collection and can spit every Talib verse backward.

lol you're gonna hurt some european feelings in here

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-03-2009, 12:09 PM
"then no one can criticize anything"
exactly
it's the logic of a little kid that doesn't like his favorite rapper being picked on

Uncle Steezo
08-03-2009, 12:42 PM
t into the realm of insults and snark which is itself the death of effective communication.

you said this is stupid.

Uncle Steezo
08-03-2009, 12:45 PM
you see how the discussion was derailed?

this theread is about who is and isn't hip hop.
not about criticizing music.

read my 1st post and the thread title.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-03-2009, 01:19 PM
you see how the discussion was derailed?

this theread is about who is and isn't hip hop.
not about criticizing music.

read my 1st post and the thread title.

if:

wayne and tellem' rap
do you?

can you dance?
are you a dj?
are you a graf artist?

:?

:r

derek41
08-03-2009, 01:26 PM
this nigga Jim Crow said he was soulja boy's bio father,, he should have wore a condom. Soulja Boy is the epitome of pop bullshit ad I don't have to involved in shit to have the common sense to know that.

angry!
08-03-2009, 01:31 PM
you are a complete and utter faggot!!!!

any male in their 20's who routinely fantasizes about pixelated females he encounters in video games is universally disliked by the people that matter in the real world!!!!

your opinion serves no purpose!!!!!

now get busy back to work i think the batmobile needs a tune up in fantasy land homo!!!!

Khem The Decepticon
08-03-2009, 02:06 PM
I think what James is saying is that Soulja Boy and Waynes names are known through out the world, is yours? They make millions of dollars, do you? Do you have 50 thousand screaming bitches wanting to fuck the shit out of you? I know they do. They are Hip-hop because the make Hip-hop. I dont like them at all but they make music, music that is loved by screaming 16 year old bitches.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-03-2009, 02:12 PM
^^^and that matters...why? why should anyone care about their fame or wealth? and what relevance does that have to the quality of their music?
if they are hip hop because they rap on beats, then so is vanilla ice, randy savage, and john cena.

this thread is a prom night dumpster baby

Poetic Wun
08-03-2009, 02:20 PM
this nigga Jim Crow said he was soulja boy's bio father,, he should have wore a condom. Soulja Boy is the epitome of pop bullshit ad I don't have to involved in shit to have the common sense to know that.
the Bio son thing was a weird comment.... otherwise yeah i don't need to hear more than "YAHH" to make my opinion that i wouldn't respect this nigga for making bull shit like that and move on to see what else is out there... let's say im not hip hop at all... i should have a right to my opinion to be able to comment on jeezey and gucci if i don't like them, be it they wold be more hip-hop than i. if i went into degrading their.. hip-hoptuality...(?)... while im nowhere near being hip hop then that kinda seems ass backwards...

Senator C. Palantine
08-03-2009, 02:32 PM
im not HipHop, but the aforementioned artists still make faggit music, for faggits, faggit.

BLACK BART SIMPSON
08-03-2009, 02:33 PM
i agree with threadstarter because just because YOU think guccis garbage doesnt mean others do..i mean hes like 3rd most searched artist on myspace or something so obviously someone likes his music...

and i also agree to the extent as to where you have nothing to do with the culture at all if ur not an mc producer graf artist dj or manager/ceo of some kind...

Drunken Monk
08-03-2009, 02:46 PM
lol

Ghost In The 'Lac
08-03-2009, 02:51 PM
this thread is fucking pointless.

some old dude on his period needs to release so he starts blurting out shouting at people that they 'ARE NOT HIP HOP!!!!'

ok fine

what now

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-03-2009, 03:16 PM
^^^lol

seriously though, is angie martinez or soulja boy more hip-hop than nelson george, cheo coker (world famous for being laid out by the high cheif), chairman mao, or elliot wilson? because all they do is write articles and review albums

Ecuanime
08-03-2009, 03:41 PM
I think this thread was posted just to stir up some shit...

But anyway, hip hop is a culture and reflects the urban lifestyle, so yes I am hop hop. And any fan of hip hop music has every right to state their opinion, if someone is wack they're wack. I can't hate on Lil Wayne, because he got this own style and got a nice flow. I can't even hate too much on Soulja Boy since my daughter loves Crank That, but there's hundred of acts out now that I can't stand because they don't have any true, unique lyrical or musical talent.

DrBold241
08-03-2009, 04:44 PM
souljaboy made a simplistic beat on a fruity loops demo that got a bunch of 14 year olds hooked.
speaking as a fan of MUSIC and not just hip hop (i do enjoy some Beethoven, Coltrane, Radiohead, Beatles, Death, you get the picture), and i can honestly say souljaboy is a no talent ignorant little crybaby.

staycreepin_n_silence
08-03-2009, 04:47 PM
without fans hiphop wouldn't live.

YungSunny
08-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I now declare hip hop blogging as the 5th element of hip hop.

TGambino
08-03-2009, 05:38 PM
why are you criticizing it to begin with? and if ur some dude that dont know what the fuck any of it is about then ur opinion dont hold any weight u can criticize it if you want but u just sould like a bitter lil white boy with a stick up your ass

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-03-2009, 05:45 PM
^^^uh i'm talking about criticizing wack mcs, not hip hop in general

12weLvE
08-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Fuck out of here with that shit. The fans are just as much hip hop as any of the artist. They consume the product that makes them who they are. They arent shit with out us. I used to be a graff writter in my teen years, i use to breakdance, I make beats and I ve dj'd before...that shit still doesnt make me more hip hop than the next man. I respect a knowlegable hip hop fan more than I respect a shitty rapper or a shitty beat maker.

TGambino
08-03-2009, 07:33 PM
^^^uh i'm talking about criticizing wack mcs, not hip hop in general
criticize if you want but people will just think ur a hater or a fuckin loser for dwellin on somethin u didnt like...but hey its your time and i guess u got a lot of it

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-03-2009, 07:45 PM
criticize if you want but people will just think ur a hater or a fuckin loser for dwellin on somethin u didnt like...but hey its your time and i guess u got a lot of it

http://carlnet.no-ip.org/facepalm_implied.jpg

whitey
08-03-2009, 10:51 PM
this is an embarassingly homo thread.

saying anyone is "hip hop" and some one else is not and that they cant criticize someone or something on that basis is so fucking gay is not even funny.

and who really gives a fuck what and or who is hip hop. does that really mean anything?

are you saying mc paul barman is more hiphop than you? if so, thats emabar. if not, how so? either way you lose that. either way this shit is gay and you are a homo.

end.

EAGLE EYE
08-03-2009, 11:20 PM
Some of you need to watch SLC punk to get the point.

whitey
08-03-2009, 11:28 PM
Some of you need to watch SLC punk to get the point.

trying hard to be anything while at the same pretending to not try hard to be anything is homo. yea? yea.

food for thought
08-03-2009, 11:35 PM
lol yea this thread is ridiculous.

i see where Style was going with it, a lil bit, but the statements made in this thread have been made withouht much thought behind it.

lol

must have been having a bad day or something

RAW-TASTE
08-04-2009, 01:32 AM

and it goes deeper than
mc
dj
bboy
artist

but thats a start.

i think fans have the right to criticize hiphop for just even being a fan. without fans, there wouldnt be a hiphop and hiphop as a whole would be irrelevant and no one would even care about criticizing it. fans sometimes grow up to be rappers and its a cycle...nigga go suck on soulja boys cock cause if u ask me, a hiphop head is more "hiphop" than his dancin ass on mtv, but what i just said is stupid too cause as someone said, who cares if "THAT RAPPER IS MORE HIPHOP THAN YOU" thats just fucking gay. like you hahahaha. i mean seriously, do we really need to discuss whos more "hiphop" than others[lol], hip hop is hip hop just take it how it is and fans are part of it

Fuck out of here with that shit. The fans are just as much hip hop as any of the artist. They consume the product that makes them who they are. They arent shit with out us. I used to be a graff writter in my teen years, i use to breakdance, I make beats and I ve dj'd before...that shit still doesnt make me more hip hop than the next man. I respect a knowlegable hip hop fan more than I respect a shitty rapper or a shitty beat maker.

fo real this shit is what you need to get into your fuckin brain if you have one

James Crow, every hip hop fan either raps or makes between the sheets sampled songs on fruity loops 8.
Lol.

i loled...i gotta admit i tried when i was younger...and so did other hiphop heads i know lol, probably true most of the time

food for thought
08-04-2009, 01:39 AM
word.

thinking slavery is watsup, and bigging up his fucking slave masters, IS NOT HIP HOP.

i understand your point about not dissing shit your not part of thou....

but like a head said earlier,

that would be the basis of many idiots arguing against people criticizing their bullshit ideas/movements