PHI.1.618
09-18-2005, 06:04 PM
http://media.nintendo.com/mediaFiles/_5Tz-IlgbTYbG8JUFC6tXfFohjx05HQ3.jpg
http://media.nintendo.com/mediaFiles/RTDEO19TMBl0V7lJQchYWB9AztiwdCpz.jpg
http://media.nintendo.com/mediaFiles/EdX2WT4zfrPiOI_RoY3JWEMfpGJXu5MG.jpg
http://media.nintendo.com/mediaFiles/eXxcwxRxsDQEncnocTs8hCfH_bZD_N5o.jpg
http://media.nintendo.com/mediaFiles/4f66l-eCPH_CgO54YcKUd5pfmmaM7C4U.jpg
http://media.nintendo.com/mediaFiles/ygUrLWfBbkLmSZw4qpbZBkHWwhfjOrfc.jpg

Nintendo Power writer Steve Thomason is at the Tokyo Game Show. Here are his impressions of the newly revealed Revolution Controller!

After months of teasing us with hints and riddles, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata finally revealed the most mysterious controller in video game history during his keynote address at this year’s Tokyo Game Show. And as promised, the Revolution’s controller will offer a completely new gameplay experience.

The basic unit is meant to be held in one hand, reminiscent of a TV remote, and features what Iwata called a “direct-pointing device”, a sensor at the top of the controller that tracks its position and orientation. In other words, you can manipulate the action on screen by physically moving the controller. You could aim your gun in a shooter by simply pointing at your target, steer your car in a racing game by tilting your wrist, or perform a sword slash in The Legend of Zelda by swinging the controller from side to side.

On the controller’s face, you’ll find a “Power” button up top (to turn the Revolution console on and off), a Directional Pad and a large “A” Button in the prime spots beneath your thumb, three buttons labeled “Start”, “Home” and “Select” in the middle, then “a” and “b” buttons near the bottom. There are also four lights at the very bottom to indicate which player the controller belongs to. On the underside of the unit is a “B” trigger for your index finger.

An expansion port on the bottom of the controller gives it extra flexibility. At the show, Iwata demonstrated a second controller piece that you hold in your other hand, boasting an Analog stick and two additional trigger buttons. This configuration was referred to as the “nunchuku-style” controller. The port could also be used to transform the unit into a more traditional controller for classic-style games (including multiplatform titles). The controller is also wireless, of course, and features built-in rumble functionality.

Iwata stressed that this controller will enable all users to intuitively play from the same “starting line”. It will be less intimidating to those who have never played a game, while also offering a fresh experience for veteran gamers. From a development standpoint, Iwata offered that smaller studios can use the new interface to create innovative software and new experiences with a limited staff and budget. And he welcomed all ideas. As he pointed out, the Revolution will need a wide variety of software to establish a new standard for game control. Akitoshi Kawazu (Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles), Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid) and Yuji Horii (Dragon Quest) expressed their excitement over the controller in a brief video shown during the presentation.

The night before the keynote address, legendary game designer Shigeru Miyamoto walked select members of the gaming press (including your intrepid reporter) through a number of rudimentary gameplay demos intended to showcase the controller‘s functionality. We used it as a rod to catch fish, manipulated a rotating stick through a series of tunnels (a la Kuru Kuru Kuririn, a Japanese game for the GBA) and flew a biplane through Isle Delfino from Super Mario Sunshine. While not intended to be representative of what Revolution games will actually look like (the graphics were pretty primitive), all of these demos did a marvelous job of showing off just how intuitive the controller is and how it will offer new and unique gameplay experiences. Finally, we got to play a brief section of Metroid Prime 2 Echoes using the nunchuku-style controller. This is what sold me (and many of the other journalists) on the new interface. The analog stick controls movement as on the GCN pad, but to look around and aim your weapon, you simply point the other piece of the controller in the desired direction. It works sort of like a PC-style keyboard-and-mouse configuration, and shows the enormous potential for first-person shooters on the Revolution. Evading your foes and blasting them at the same time has never been easier.

After the demonstration, Miyamoto stated that a number of third party developers (besides those mentioned above) had been shown the controller, and that the response was overwhelmingly enthusiastic. When Sega’s Yuji Naka first saw the controller, according to Miyamoto, he got very excited and picked up one in each hand, expressing a desire to make a game that utilizes two of the units (Samba de Amigo, perhaps?). And that’s what makes this new controller so intriguing. Everyone I talked to walked away with new ideas swimming in their heads. Sounds like the basis for a revolution, doesn‘t it?

* Very different but looks fun ... :clap:

Fragmented
09-18-2005, 07:00 PM
looks like a space age vibrator

THE W
09-19-2005, 11:35 AM
W....T....F :? :? :?

they done lost their damn mind.

Jackie Boy
09-19-2005, 12:05 PM
im diggin' the Revolution so far, now i just want to see gameplay footage

Sifu Dragon
09-19-2005, 12:17 PM
'why can't i change da channel? stupid rem.....oh it's da nintendo controller'

MantiZ
09-19-2005, 12:42 PM
i don't even wanna know how it works.....

Unforgiven
09-19-2005, 01:32 PM
'why can't i change da channel? stupid rem.....oh it's da nintendo controller'
:lmao:

i wont know till i try it....cool idea though, i heard they wanna make it so you can backtrack to nes, true?

Jackie Boy
09-19-2005, 02:45 PM
:lmao:

i wont know till i try it....cool idea though, i heard they wanna make it so you can backtrack to nes, true?
well you will be able to Download a catalouge of 20+ years of Nintendo games VIA Revolutions Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Service, so that notion would benefit that, though if you turn the Revolution's controller on the side it does resemble a thinner version of the NES' controller with more buttons

Taskmaster
09-19-2005, 03:40 PM
nintendo STAY having the fucked up controllers...i TRIED to master n64 golden eye even those controllers were OK....i didnt even touch that gamecube shit....nor will i touch this shit....nintendo BLOWS wtf they could reamp thier image they seem to cater to the lil kids...bring back a bad ass remake of double dragons...or River City Ransom

Roman Deini
09-19-2005, 03:46 PM

same what i was thinking

num2son
09-19-2005, 04:28 PM
This could change the way you play games....................}:| ..........I've grown use to using two hands with my controller.

Bedlam
09-19-2005, 04:43 PM
wow.....................

i was interested in the Revolution

till i saw those pics.

PS3, even that boomerang shit is better than that fucktard Nintendo controller.

Nintendo must like being the loser in the console wars

Icurus
09-19-2005, 04:57 PM
fucking haters, ya niggas dont read shit. They are releasing a two-hand controller also, just that the controller you see will be standard with fps, cause they will start making abunch of them now. think of it like a mouse. some people play their pc games on the keyboard and mouse. the standard two-hand controller connects with the remote controller. the remote goes in the middle of the two-hand controller for gyroscopic capability. In other words, the remote will be 360 degrees of full movement. Three are a total of three controllers for the revo.

SurreaL
09-19-2005, 05:09 PM
haha, owned.

WARPATH
09-19-2005, 05:45 PM
yeah that numchuks style controller looks dope- I can see the potential in the games- doesn't persuade me to buy nintendo, think i'm gonna go PS3 but I'm gonna wait and see-

I think if you ever watch someone who first starts playing games and they move the controller while there playing- for example if mario's jumping they move their hands up- that's the idea- if they do it right there can be some dope ass games

THE W
09-19-2005, 05:50 PM
i dont see how you will be able to turn this on its side. one hint is that the "a" and "b" buttons arent labelled for side handling. the D-pad's direction are probably set up for it to be held like a remote, and also your hand would be blocking the infrared reciever and the controller wont work.

this was a dumb idea. why do i want to be wipping this thing around so i can get link to swing his sword? the one thing that may save this debacle is the analog D-pad attachment. i damn sure hope that comes with the controller cuz people are gonna think its bullshit to go spend another 20 bucks on something to make the controller seem normal.

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
09-19-2005, 05:52 PM
this was a dumb idea.
exactly. They've lost it. There's no way in hell that looks comfortable to play with.

WARPATH
09-19-2005, 05:53 PM
yo- if you look at the controller and turn it sidewayz it's a classic nes controller- doesn't matter if it's not labled sidewayz- it think it'll be fresh- plus guys that jerk off alot will have the advantage when it come to games where you need to move your wrists fast-

thwak
09-19-2005, 05:56 PM
yeah it's a classic nes controller sideways, and you really have to see the video in order to figure out why nintendo will kick ass with the revolution.

THE W
09-19-2005, 05:57 PM
it looks that way, but it wont play that way

LHX
09-20-2005, 09:08 PM
fresh

looks wack

but itll be fresh

chiba
09-21-2005, 01:54 AM
wow.....................

PS3, even that boomerang shit is better than that fucktard Nintendo controller.

bahahahahhahaha FUCKTARD!!!
TAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

oh man what a word
ahahah

yeah i saw these controllers awhile ago i think like 2 months ago
looks like an ipod shuffle or something (ahahah new spaceaged dildo ahahah)

i also saw like new nintendo ds
its smaller and more compact
and thin

ps3 is wicked (not to brag but....i saw that like 6 months ago i think)
i saw some racing and fighting games on it
i think it was tekken
too much ppl were hogging it
the grafix are crisp man

i didnt see the new xbox yet
i saw some pics but thats about it

i would post up pics but they dont allow you to take pics of like merchandise (ipods cameras ps3 electronic stuff)
man i tried to take some pics but theres like a guard near the ps3 and stuff
its crazy
friggen greedy bastards

peace

Wu-Tality
09-21-2005, 03:34 AM
Looks fresh to me, I need that.

Bloo
09-21-2005, 07:13 PM
I don't care, I'm a fanboy for Nintendo so I'ma cop one.

I like the controller idea, it's different.

I like different

Cause I'm different

JASPER
09-21-2005, 07:15 PM
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8660/revcon21tx.jpg

09-21-2005, 07:16 PM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

-dead-

Qwiffersniffer
09-21-2005, 07:21 PM
guys that jerk off alot will have the advantage when it come to games where you need to move your wrists fast- Thats the first thing that came to my mind.

Bloo
09-21-2005, 07:47 PM
^^

You're strange :)

JASPER
09-21-2005, 07:48 PM
I'd love to have superwrist powers

WU-KILLAH
09-28-2005, 03:31 PM
don't underestimate nintendo ....

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/fr/FR/popups/video.jsp?id=DUy-0IzBAcua35254Rr9sqz-X8Oqy-SW&itemDesc=articleLocal&prop=articleShared.video&index=1

09-28-2005, 06:03 PM
^shut the fuck up

Hollow Dartz
09-28-2005, 06:20 PM
controller is wack on the real, im not feelin it..

WU-KILLAH
09-28-2005, 06:40 PM
If it works, that shit can be fuckin amazing ... but if it's not acurate then it won't worth shit ... we'll see ...

09-28-2005, 06:41 PM
ok you go and play your games with a remote, SMH

WU-KILLAH
09-29-2005, 10:54 AM
^shut the fuck up

ok you go and play your games with a remote, SMH

easy kid ... we're only talking about a pad of a system :)9:(

Bloo
09-29-2005, 07:37 PM
I don't care what no one says, that shit'll be tight IMO

iNtell3kT
09-29-2005, 09:44 PM
looks like a bite off the iPod style

Skellington
09-30-2005, 07:05 AM
ugh...wtf was that....a remote control for controler???

iNtell3kT
09-30-2005, 07:21 AM
hahaaha^^

Razorsharp
09-30-2005, 05:55 PM
same what i was thinking
me t0o..lmao

BRONZBODY
10-03-2005, 03:35 AM
its diffrent...but at least its not shaped like a batarang i love sony but that controller is god afwul....eeewwwww

10-03-2005, 07:21 AM
compared to this, hell no, at least it's still a controller, get real, you know you're not gonna play ur shit with a remote and to all you fan boys that do.........SMH

Welshkillabee
10-19-2005, 02:17 PM
shit i didnt realise you have to swing it about as well fuck that

Megaman
10-30-2005, 01:30 AM
This is something different.... and it might actually work out and change the way that games are played. Nintendo is the only company that always do different and original shit. That controller will be the best thing to play First Person Shooter games. Plus there will be some normal controller adapter too.