PDA

View Full Version : GI Joe Movie What do you think?

p-rok73
08-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Has anyone seen this? If so what do you think about it? I found it strange that the movie studio didn't let any critics review it. I might go & see it but was just wondering..

wuswordz95
08-07-2009, 06:00 PM
i heard that cobra commander wants to reunite with his father. his fatherw ill only agree to a reconcilation if the angels win the pennant.

p-rok73
08-07-2009, 06:06 PM
^^ It would of made for more drama if the Cubs won the pennant instead of the Angels, but maybe for part 2.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-07-2009, 06:57 PM
the only reason i would even consider seeing this is to see sienna miller as the baroness because she looks wicked sexy in the commercial...but that's not a strong enough reason...looks nothing like GI Joe at all

what part is Christopher Eccleston playing?

check two
08-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Is Sergeant Slaughter in it?

Jin10304
08-08-2009, 12:38 AM
No, this is a origin story set 10 year prior

Sky Blue Bally Kid
08-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Has anyone seen this? If so what do you think about it? I found it strange that the movie studio didn't let any critics review it. I might go & see it but was just wondering..

If the studio won't let anyone review it then there's a reason for that. Steer well clear of it!

Icurus
08-08-2009, 07:07 AM
The movie was awesome Spoiler*** its an origin story of how Cobra commander and Destro come to power...

Uncle Steezo
08-08-2009, 07:12 AM
decide 4 urself
http://www.letmewatchthis.com/index.php?version=32242&part=1
http://www.letmewatchthis.com/index.php?version=32242&part=2

p-rok73
08-08-2009, 12:14 PM
To the GI Joe fans who liked the movie you can get these that are based on the movie characters:http://nicekicks.com/2009/08/nike-gi-joe-pack/#more-40521

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-08-2009, 01:17 PM
deciding the quality of a movie based on a cam rip converted to streaming .flv is like judging an album based on a 32kbps real player stream. but you know...

this shit is probably wack anyway

Rame
08-08-2009, 01:49 PM
The trailer was the wackest shit ever.

Uncle Steezo
08-09-2009, 07:29 AM
deciding the quality of a movie based on a cam rip converted to streaming .flv is like judging an album based on a 32kbps real player stream. but you know...

this shit is probably wack anyway
a shit sammich is a shit sammich whether its on a silver platter or dirty ashtray.

lots of cool future tech in the flick. the paris chase was dope but overall....
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2264/2222448158_3396b62e9d.jpg

djskillz
08-09-2009, 10:49 AM
^ lmao. Yeah, I refuse to watch this movie.

TAURO
08-09-2009, 08:04 PM
I absolutley HATED the trailer for this but the positive buzz from the movie blogs helped me in deciding to finally go and see it.

First of all I want to say that I was really into G.I JOE as a kid (or Action Force as it was known here) so I was really looking forward to this film when it was first announced. Then the casting came, then the pics and then the trailer. The more I saw of this film the more I didn't like the look of it. Suprise suprise though cos after finally watching it I came away with a good feeling, this movie was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. It felt like JOE to me.

What makes it JOE.
It had the characters (albeit some alterations were made to them) it had the vehicles and it had the action. Unlike Transformers it ran at a good pace and mostly things felt right when compared to what had gone before.

I don't want to keep comparing it to Transformers 2 but as it's another property I loved as a kid I feel the comparison is necessary in order to illustrate my likes and dislikes and help show how faithfully the makers kept things.

To me Transformers 2 felt like something the film makers completely made up and then slapped the name Transformers 2 to it in order to sell it. That film had taken far too many liberties with the property that it just never really felt like a true Transformers movie, the first was much more successful in that aspect.

Probably the main difference that was given to this movie was making the JOE's a more international special forces unit by making some members brought from other countries, kinda like the UN but with much better hardware. I can see why alot of americans didn't like that change but for me seeing as the cartoon was known as "International Heroes" as opposed to "A Real American Hero" it didn't really bother me, in fact it actually made more sense because if such a unit were to exist no way could one country afford all the hardware these Joe's get to play with. But saying that there were still some annoyances, like Heavy Duty for example, the actor playing him is british in real life yet he puts on such an over the top cockney accent that it just got so annoying, and this is coming from someone who lives in england.

Overall I thought that they stuck with the source material alot better. Director Stephen Summer's is suprisingly restraint when using sfx. Instead of the cgi mind fuck he forced on us with Van Helsing he instead made alot better use of it here while also including alot of great practical fx.

The casting was spotty at best and the script could have done with more work but other than that I thought it was a fun summer flick that hit most of the right notes. It's a shame it's probably not going to make as much as Transformers (Giant robots just being more exciting to watch on screen than high tech soldiers) but this film to me succeeded in more ways than Transformers 2, and with that I give it a very respectable 7/10

Khem The Decepticon
08-09-2009, 10:38 PM
It was ok, i saw it and it was fine. I think paying to see this movie is outrageous though so i saw this on the internet. Sienna Miller = <333333

TSA
08-10-2009, 02:22 AM
LMAO! jesus that movie was HORRIBLE.

kiyaku.

Poetic Wun
08-10-2009, 02:39 AM
i figured just as much when i saw that Tatum deucher in it.

check two
08-10-2009, 02:47 AM
Wrong section.

TSA
08-10-2009, 02:51 AM
i figured just as much when i saw that Tatum deucher in it.
dude that guy's named Tatum Deucher!? haahhahahahahahahahhaah!

man, what a fitting name. dude was a total doucher, did anyone, for the love of god, know why the nigga that made the bombs was trying to steal the bombs he made and didn't have to sell and/or could make new ones?

hectis
08-10-2009, 03:09 AM
I thought it would be wack

hectis
08-10-2009, 03:10 AM
I thought Cobra Commander looked wack too

Uncle Steezo
08-10-2009, 03:28 AM
i knew it was gonna be prima garbaggio when i saw the 1st pics of them wearing the same costumes as the x-men. as if people had a problem with the original and wished the whole team wore identical black leather bodysuits.

one day someone is going to make a comic/cartoon based movie that says "fuck reality" and decides to completely immerse the audience in the fantasy world. (frank miller is doing it)

thats what good stories do anyway. fantasy, and at times, scifi flix don't have this problem, you didn't see frodo put on a holograph projecting camo suit. the nigga had a magic ring.

but for some reason when it comes to comics/cartoon adaptations, hollywood feels that if its not realistic then people won't connect with it.

take the wizard of oz....
nobody gives a fuck that dorothy would have been puree'd by the splintering wood frame of her house. its a made up story anyway. realistic details don't make a made up story anymore true than a made up story that is full of unbelievable details.

it actually makes it less entertaining.

the unbelievable parts are what people want to see. if they wanted to experience reality, a muhfukka could just live life.

*removes foot from hollywoods ass*

GI JOE....
the movie was shitty. i only liked the chase scene thru paris. that was dope.

check two
08-10-2009, 03:30 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1281/1094064265_428296e12f.jpg

Mumm Ra
08-10-2009, 05:39 AM
one day someone is going to make a comic/cartoon based movie that says "fuck reality" and decides to completely immerse the audience in the fantasy world. (frank miller is doing it)

thats what good stories do anyway. fantasy, and at times, scifi flix don't have this problem, you didn't see frodo put on a holograph projecting camo suit. the nigga had a magic ring.

but for some reason when it comes to comics/cartoon adaptations, hollywood feels that if its not realistic then people won't connect with it.

CO-FUCKING-SIGN
I ran across this same exact thought this saturday when I was watching the Three Caballeros on VHS at a chicks house while she was high on pot and opium (I find myself in strange situations at times)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4CMxYBYLhRQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4CMxYBYLhRQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
needless to say nobody makes cartoons (or anything really) REMOTELY close to as seemingly mushroom-induced as this anymore. And it saddens me.
[edit - hollywood at least, maybe some anime shit i dunno about]
And if that Frank Miller thing you're talking about is on some reality fuck shit then I'm gonna have to check it out. Haven't heard anything tho.

Uncle Steezo
08-10-2009, 05:58 AM
sin city
the spirit
sincity 2(coming soon)

all comic books written and adapted by Frank Miller

*rolls up a nightcap blunt and gets ready to watch "cabelleros"*

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-10-2009, 07:59 AM
^^^i agree with crow

but you saw how people refused to understand what frank miller was doing with the spirit and ravaged it mercislessly

x-men set the precedent for successfully shitting on the source material/designs, obliquely doing so during the film, all in the name of reality.

at least they got spider-man's costume right even though he takes his mask off every two minutes

let's see how hollywood treats green lantern

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-10-2009, 08:06 AM
although one crucial difference between lord of the rings/star wars and gi joe/x-men/iron man whatever is that the mileu of most/fantasy scifi films is an entirely different reality than ours with correspondingly different rules and the latter films are supposed to take place in a reality like ours. but the rest of your point still stands.

hectis
08-10-2009, 08:41 AM
fuck reality it is a movie

drippie k
08-10-2009, 09:24 AM
yeah not even gonna bother watching it

harm77
08-10-2009, 10:30 AM
i gotta say action wise, it was excellent. But honestly, it didnt feel like a Gi Joe movie at all. I think Channing Tatum's portrayal of Duke was boring as hell. Snake eyes by far was the best part of this movie. Second i would have to say was the underwater battle scene. The concept of how destro got his mask at the end was corny ass hell and was obviously made up to suit the movie.Snake eyes mask from the eyes up was great but that fake mouth looked ridiculous! It looked like he was smiling throughout the whole movie. it was just un neccesary. i hope this movie gets a reboot in a few years and done the way sit should be.

Senator C. Palantine
08-10-2009, 10:35 AM
when i saw the advert for this film i thought to myself 'which kind of sad faggit would actually choose to watch this film'.

TAURO
08-10-2009, 10:45 AM
And yet these are the same people that praised Transformers 2. Go figure.

BRONZBODY
08-10-2009, 10:59 AM
it was better than both transformers movies.

im also glad they did not base it off the original gi joe cartoon, i loved the old school one dont get me wrong but it was a bit corny. sienna miller as the baroness is HAWT!!! been wanting to hit that shit since keen eddie. jude law is a douche for cheating on her.

the movie was based of of Sigma 6 right(correct me if im wrong)

TAURO
08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Actually the movie is based off the eighties version, they just took elements of sigma 6.

BRONZBODY
08-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Actually the movie is based off the eighties version, they just took elements of sigma 6.ok cool. i knew it was something like that.

Poetic Wun
08-10-2009, 11:37 AM
dude that guy's named Tatum Deucher!? haahhahahahahahahahhaah!

man, what a fitting name. dude was a total doucher
i think so-
http://i29.tinypic.com/30lnrpd.png

although one crucial difference between lord of the rings/star wars and gi joe/x-men/iron man whatever is that the mileu of most/fantasy scifi films is an entirely different reality than ours with correspondingly different rules and the latter films are supposed to take place in a reality like ours. but the rest of your point still stands.
lol i was thinkin that but wasn't guna say nothin

BRONZBODY
08-10-2009, 11:40 AM
well it was better than transformers imo. both of em...michael bay is the fucking antichrist.

IrOnMaN
08-10-2009, 12:27 PM
I can ALWAYS tell how good or bad a movie is going to be just by watching the trailer.

IrOnMaN
08-10-2009, 12:29 PM
And just for the record, Transformers 2: Revenge of The Fallen was freaking awesome! Just my opinion.

hectis
08-10-2009, 12:33 PM
what do people outside the united states think of G.I Joe?

The Hound
08-10-2009, 12:37 PM
well it was better than transformers imo. both of em...michael bay is the fucking antichrist.

Word. Michael Bay needs to be put on trial in The Hague for his fucking crimes against humanity with his shitty movies and remakes that suck dick.

TSA
08-10-2009, 01:07 PM
when i saw the advert for this film i thought to myself 'which kind of sad faggit would actually choose to watch this film'.
me and a friend met some girls at a bar. he was texting with one then sent me a text saying we're going to the movies with them. i thought, cool, they were cool girls and why not i need to see a movie.

i get there, they're already in and i ask what movie.

they say GI JOE, i was like woooooowwwww. turns out HE picked it.

those girls went drier then a fucking pringle

stylemaster, if they try to escape from reality but suck at it it's the worst movie in the fucking universe most of the time. escaping too far from reality is a risky move that only masters like lucas can do. but you has Hasbro trying to come with some unreal shit, you're gonna be in for it.

Dark Knight was realisitic and THE SHIT, i prefer tastefully realisitic, not robot ninjas and homeless white kids in japan that know kung fu.

stashlova
08-10-2009, 01:48 PM
It was a good blend of the comics and the cartoon. I thought it was entertaining.

Uncle Steezo
08-10-2009, 06:36 PM

gi joe had:
zartan who changed colors and had the power of invisibility.
cobra commander came from a ancient race of reptilian aliens that was hell bent on ruling the world.
two major characters of the series. both were in the movie.
what part of our reality is that?

xmen: mutants with superhuman powers like turning into ice and shooting lasers from the eyes.
why would black leather costumes and a scientific explanation somehow make the icebody and laser eyes more realistic?
the nigga has already turned into ice. why not be true to the rest of the fantasy?

ironman: well downey said(parphrasing) " iron man was supposed to realistic as possible. i am curious to see how green monsters(hulk), giant superheroes(ant man) and norse gods (thor) will fit into this universe."
commenting on Avengers.

dark knight was good. but thats the thing about batman. he had no powers. he was a detective/vigilante who relied on tech, training, and intelligence. the whole allure of the batman story is that it could really happen and that reality WAS the connection with the audience.

not everyone needs to pic up a mic and rap. just like not everyone needs to pick up an action figure and make a movie. @ micheal bay

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-10-2009, 07:18 PM
^^^dude i was agreeing with you lol but if you don't see the difference between star wars or lord of the rings, which are in completely fabricated settings with made up creatures, devices and languages and...x-men, for example, which takes place in new york on modern day earth...then i don't know what to tell you.

i've never followed gi joe so i wasn't aware of the cobra commander stuff (very david icke that) and don't even know who zartan is. still, the concept takes place on modern day planet earth, and has them running around recognizable landmarks.

but as far as the marvel adaptations, the whole ethos is about the emergence of the fantastic in a world very much like ours. that's the whole basis of marvel in both comics and films. take it back to stan lee and he'll tell you it's all about heroes in a world like the one outside your window.

do i think having the x-men look like their in fetish gear or making the green goblin look like a power ranger enhances the verisimiltude? of course not. but at the same time, some things that work in prose or on a comic book page or an animation cel do not work in live action. there are different considerations in regards to logistics that are made depending on which medium you're working with. which is why i find this constant mining of comic books and cartoons for cinematic source material lately somewhat annoying.

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
08-10-2009, 08:43 PM
I absolutley HATED the trailer for this but the positive buzz from the movie blogs helped me in deciding to finally go and see it.

First of all I want to say that I was really into G.I JOE as a kid (or Action Force as it was known here) so I was really looking forward to this film when it was first announced. Then the casting came, then the pics and then the trailer. The more I saw of this film the more I didn't like the look of it. Suprise suprise though cos after finally watching it I came away with a good feeling, this movie was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. It felt like JOE to me.

What makes it JOE.
It had the characters (albeit some alterations were made to them) it had the vehicles and it had the action. Unlike Transformers it ran at a good pace and mostly things felt right when compared to what had gone before.

I don't want to keep comparing it to Transformers 2 but as it's another property I loved as a kid I feel the comparison is necessary in order to illustrate my likes and dislikes and help show how faithfully the makers kept things.

To me Transformers 2 felt like something the film makers completely made up and then slapped the name Transformers 2 to it in order to sell it. That film had taken far too many liberties with the property that it just never really felt like a true Transformers movie, the first was much more successful in that aspect.

Probably the main difference that was given to this movie was making the JOE's a more international special forces unit by making some members brought from other countries, kinda like the UN but with much better hardware. I can see why alot of americans didn't like that change but for me seeing as the cartoon was known as "International Heroes" as opposed to "A Real American Hero" it didn't really bother me, in fact it actually made more sense because if such a unit were to exist no way could one country afford all the hardware these Joe's get to play with. But saying that there were still some annoyances, like Heavy Duty for example, the actor playing him is british in real life yet he puts on such an over the top cockney accent that it just got so annoying, and this is coming from someone who lives in england.

Overall I thought that they stuck with the source material alot better. Director Stephen Summer's is suprisingly restraint when using sfx. Instead of the cgi mind fuck he forced on us with Van Helsing he instead made alot better use of it here while also including alot of great practical fx.

The casting was spotty at best and the script could have done with more work but other than that I thought it was a fun summer flick that hit most of the right notes. It's a shame it's probably not going to make as much as Transformers (Giant robots just being more exciting to watch on screen than high tech soldiers) but this film to me succeeded in more ways than Transformers 2, and with that I give it a very respectable 7/10

ditto

Uncle Steezo
08-10-2009, 08:48 PM
zartan
HyOguzggkHQ

the icke-isms in gi-joe
FHIlYgH03i4

the gi joe movie is classic material!!!

they could have made a direct copy of that and took the shit to a whole new level. the icke-isms and all. just went wild with it.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-10-2009, 09:03 PM
^^^^crazy

goes to demonoid
downloads gi joe cartoon movie
rolls a doobie

Storm
08-11-2009, 02:34 AM
I just came back and I actually liked it alot. This is, in my opinion, what Transformers should have been. Yea, acting wasn't so great nor the plot I guess and others things but it didn't really bother me, it was just a blast and the pacing of the movie was damn near perfect to me. THIS is what a summer action movie should be.
8/10

harm77
08-11-2009, 10:34 AM
it was an ok popcorn flick but they swayed too much away from the source material. the lips on snake eyes mask looked rediculous

Uncle Steezo
08-11-2009, 01:26 PM
I just came back and I actually liked it alot. This is, in my opinion, what Transformers should have been. Yea, acting wasn't so great nor the plot I guess and others things but it didn't really bother me, it was just a blast and the pacing of the movie was damn near perfect to me. THIS is what a summer action movie should be.
8/10

bad acting, bad plot...8/10.

damn son. i'd hate for you to see an action movie with a good plot and acting....you might fuck around and have a heartattack.

p-rok73
08-11-2009, 03:27 PM
8/10
I just saw it this morning & I liked it also. I was actually fearing that it was going to be a lot worse. **Spoiler Alert** Does anyone think that the Baroness will turn to Cobra again in part 2?

-The A to the Z-
08-11-2009, 06:16 PM
I was quite shocked to see how early reviews were positive for this.

The 34 score presently on Metacritic sounds more appropriate.

But I don't let critics dictate what movies I watch - I'm avoiding this 'cos Action Man > GI Joe.

Storm
08-11-2009, 10:41 PM
bad acting, bad plot...8/10.

damn son. i'd hate for you to see an action movie with a good plot and acting....you might fuck around and have a heartattack.
I've seen plenty of action movies with a good plot and good acting, I liked the movie for what it was.

Uncle Steezo
08-12-2009, 12:32 AM
Action Man > GI Joe.

u must be out ur rabbit ass mind

http://www.yojoe.com/action/archive_title.jpg

wuswordz95
08-13-2009, 05:46 PM
It was a good blend of the comics and the cartoon. I thought it was entertaining.

whos that hhotty in the pic?

jennyfifi
08-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Thanks so much for sharing the post.

gratuit pour mobile sonnerie portable mp3 (http://sonneriegratuite.org/) - Sonnerie portable MP3 est en effet un pouvoir de l'innovation technologique. Ętes-vous familier avec cette sonnerie portable?gratuit pour mobile sonnerie portable mp3 (http://sonneriegratuite.org/)

p-rok73
08-14-2009, 09:11 AM

I saw a lot of characters in that pic that I recognized from the cartoons. Hopefully Shipwreck, Lomax & Xamot make the roster of part 2.

Uncle Steezo
08-14-2009, 03:18 PM
the twins would be dope, they were illuminati in the cartoon.
what about bazooka? have some powerful ass photon cannon on his shoulder?
what was dude with the dogs name?

i hear alot of good things so i have to watch it again. that uniform made me not like it from the jump, cuz it reminded me of xmen and how fucked up that became.
the did stick with the premise of the story pretty well.
cobra is a well funded hitech terror network. but they lose alot. hahah
they had all that shit lazers and super soldiers hover ships sonic guns... but still failed at getting the briefcase.
thats right out of the cartoon.

-The A to the Z-
08-14-2009, 04:38 PM

http://www.toycollector.com/gallery/Other---La-Toya-Site-Stuff/Action_Man_With_Camera.jpg

What?

http://www.actionmanhq.co.uk/actionman2/aquablaster.jpg

What?

http://www.stylesaver.co.uk/prodimages/500/491.jpg

WHUT?!

p-rok73
08-14-2009, 05:18 PM
the twins would be dope, they were illuminati in the cartoon.
what about bazooka? have some powerful ass photon cannon on his shoulder?
what was dude with the dogs name?

i hear alot of good things so i have to watch it again. that uniform made me not like it from the jump, cuz it reminded me of xmen and how fucked up that became.
the did stick with the premise of the story pretty well.
cobra is a well funded hitech terror network. but they lose alot. hahah
they had all that shit lazers and super soldiers hover ships sonic guns... but still failed at getting the briefcase.
thats right out of the cartoon.

It would be nice if Cobra won for once, LOL. Sort of like the Empire did in Empire Strikes back. Let Cobra win in part 2 & then we get the eventual GI Joe victory in part 3.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-15-2009, 04:54 PM
shit was a great movie just didn't like the baroness plot twist on her charecter but didn't see the cobra commander charecter thing coming great plot twist n shocker

Guarded By Martyrs
08-21-2009, 01:06 PM
It was much better than I expected it to be.

Felt they bit "Transformers" with the opening scene horribly though.

Snake Eyes was on some shit.

KIND
11-21-2009, 11:22 PM
shit was lame. almost halfway into the movie, my friends & I couldnt take the blasphemy anymore, so we stopped watching & looked up the cartoon on utube. the cartoon is soooooo much better.

in the movie Zartan was ok, Cobra Commander & Destro were wack.
Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow were over stylized.

the Baroness was ok, but she didnt have the accent & that whole good girl back story was garbage.

there were pretty much NO memorable characters in the film

the Paris scene along with ninja kids fight scene were the only good parts of the entire movie.

Oh yeah in the cartoon Destro was motherfucking black! In the movie he's sum pussy Euro.

This should not have been called G.I. Joe. It was more like a updated Chuck Norris Delta Force flick except without Chuck Norris