PDA

View Full Version : District 9

IrOnMaN
08-12-2009, 12:35 PM
d6PDlMggROA

Looks interesting.

p-rok73
08-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Yea, I'm going to try to see it on Friday. Hopefully an early show to beat the crowds. It's getting good buzz & reviews so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

IrOnMaN
08-12-2009, 01:50 PM
I just hope it's not a 90 minute movie.

p-rok73
08-12-2009, 06:37 PM
^^LOL, check out this review:http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/review-dramatic-twists-store-district-939-ap

netscape check two
08-12-2009, 09:26 PM
The alien looks like Predator?

p-rok73
08-14-2009, 05:22 PM
I just saw this this morning & thought it was pretty good. Though I wasn't to thrilled with the ending. Someone seated a few seats away from me uttered the word "stupid" aloud when the ending credits rolled.

Clientele_Kid36
08-14-2009, 06:26 PM
the whole movie was good imo

highly entertaining

Storm
08-14-2009, 08:11 PM
I just saw this this morning & thought it was pretty good. Though I wasn't to thrilled with the ending. Someone seated a few seats away from me uttered the word "stupid" aloud when the ending credits rolled.
I don't think it shouldn't had ended any other way. Either way, it was still a great movie in my eyes, I really didn't know what to expect from it. 9/10

Razorsharp
08-14-2009, 08:53 PM
it was iight... first 30 mins could have been shaved off

RADIOACTIVE MAN
08-15-2009, 01:07 AM
it was great to me..i agree with the 9/10 rating yo..

netscape check two
08-15-2009, 02:49 AM
Why did the alien in the trailer look just like Predator?

Clientele_Kid36
08-15-2009, 02:32 PM
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/SkwirlForum/Topic%20Art/Topic%20Art%203/predator7.jpg
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq67/SkwirlForum/Topic%20Art/Topic%20Art%204/2009_district_9_006.jpg

no?

12weLvE
08-15-2009, 03:01 PM
There should be a sequel to this joint. I am pretty sure that the last alien dude they showed was him. Also Christopher the main alien needs to get the fam lol.

p-rok73
08-16-2009, 11:56 AM
^^ I think the alien at the end was Wikos too, he had the flower that his wife eventually got. Chris also told him he would be back in three years, perhaps a sequel. These were the same director/producer team that were supposed to the Halo film, Microsoft should let them continue the project, I'm sure they would do a good film.

Uncle Steezo
08-16-2009, 07:36 PM
just got done watching it. i liked it.

whitey
08-16-2009, 09:15 PM
i thought it was an incredibly interesting storyline.

i enjoyed it overall.

sdeblasi
08-16-2009, 10:13 PM
^ i agree i just got back from seeing it. I didn't expect that plot at all and i ended up liking it a lot

beautifulrock
08-17-2009, 10:42 AM
None of you deserved this film. Judging by the responses in this thread it was way over your heads.

whitey
08-17-2009, 11:51 AM
are you the only who got the apartheid references?

must be.

neo n tha matrix
08-17-2009, 08:16 PM
None of you deserved this film. Judging by the responses in this thread it was way over your heads.

LMAO yo on tha real imma have to agree 100%

Just saw it last night and im not even sure i grasp the concept completely, but it might be one of the tightest movies I have ever seen.

I would strongly recommend this film,

Peace

DrBold241
08-19-2009, 10:25 AM

it's about human rights.
i mean i'm sure i'm putting it vaguely but that's what i got out of it.
i can't even type it, this movie deserves face to face discussion.

DrBold241
08-19-2009, 10:59 AM

wow..... i just read page one and couldn't agree more.
some of the comments thus far are just retarded.
"shit's hot"
it seems very few people in this forum who saw it understood it was more political than it was action.
don't get me wrong, the exploding bodies were pretty cool, but the plot itself was so much better.
and aside from MAYBE chris, doesn't seem to be any real protagonist in the film. everyone has some negative attached to them.

and to the guy who said there needs to be a sequel.... please shut your face

beautifulrock
08-19-2009, 11:00 AM
The film is a microcosm of corporatology, from the hiring of the inept son in law for a position way over his head, to the startling revelation that District 10 is nothing more than a concentration camp.

beautifulrock
08-19-2009, 11:06 AM
wow..... i just read page one and couldn't agree more.
some of the comments thus far are just retarded.
"shit's hot"
it seems very few people in this forum who saw it understood it was more political than it was action.
don't get me wrong, the exploding bodies were pretty cool, but the plot itself was so much better.
and aside from MAYBE chris, doesn't seem to be any real protagonist in the film. everyone has some negative attached to them.

and to the guy who said there needs to be a sequel.... please shut your faceYou are absolutely correct, Christopher is the protagonist, and no there shouldn't be a sequel, the way it ends leaves the continuation of the story up to the imagination of the viewer which is what makes movies like this so great.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-19-2009, 01:04 PM
i still have to see this
at first i thought your comments were condescending, brock, but then i realized that you are right, allegory and subtext are foreign concepts to most people in general, but specifically on this site.
i feel like a sequel is probably inevitable however, for the 'exploding bodies are dope' contingent.

beautifulrock
08-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Some of the great boundaries this movie has crossed are that the aliens aren't either stale or one-dimensionally murderous. In contrast to other alien films where the creatures can't be seen in an ambiguous light, District 9 gives these aliens more of a display of humanity than humanity itself. For the most part they are passive, and play the victims so well, that one can feel something for the beings, where in contrast the humans, both the Nigerian gangsters and the corporate goons cannot be sympathized with at all. I find it not ironic, but deliberate that the movie takes place in South Africa, where the aliens are dealing with an aparteid of their own. Indeed, only after Wikus actually begins to become an alien himself do we see a point of view that changes him from a heartless alien baby killer to a sympathetic figure who sees the error of his ways. In the third act, his greedy human side gets the best of him at times, even though Christopher never wanes from his promise to help Wikus even after being betrayed. At times I felt like i was watching a 48 hours buddy movie and at times I felt like I was being force fed the Ides of humanity, albeit in a very effective way. Anybody that sees this movie as simply a fun little action romp has missed the target completely.

M.O.D.
08-19-2009, 06:43 PM
ima have to go check this out , read some good reviews about this movie & from what ive read on this thread , it should be pretty tight

dbdavidwu4ever
08-22-2009, 03:53 AM
I have to agree with b-rock on this one. I really liked the scene where they go to the house with the 'smart' alien. They try to play him off like a dumbass and realize that he's smarter then they think. He read the paper they were holding in front of him unlike the other aliens and saw he had some rights. They STILL tried to play him off because of some 'bad environment for the kid' or something, that was really something.

IrOnMaN
08-23-2009, 01:49 PM
I personally think District 9 is a classic movie. This movie was very well written, the action scenes were just awesome, and the setting (South Africa) was the right place for the movie. 5/5

This movie scared the hell out of me! District 9 was about complete power and control, period. When Wikus's father-in-law found out that he was transforming into an alien, he didn't care about him or his daughter's well being. The research scientists and doctors didn't care about him either. They just knew that Wikus could operate alien weapons because his left hand was alien. Plus, you saw how the doctors and scientists treated Wikus. They cursed at him, pushed him around, etc. They didn't care who he was or if he had a family or not. The government just wanted to use his human and alien body parts to create something so that they can operate alien weaponry and cause more chaos in today's world. He could've been President Obama. They wouldn't have cared. If people want power, they will obtain it by any means necessary, even if that means killing hundreds or even thousands of people to obtain what they want. Perfect example, the rise of America.

People are curious and evil. I felt sick to my stomach when I saw the scene where the doctors were cutting up the prawns and trying to use their weapons. Wikus was just a victim of the system. Instead of trying to help him, they wanted to use him to become something a lot more dangerous, cruel, and evil, which he is not. Freaking government sees an opportunity and goes for it no matter the regards to it cost or how many lives are at state. People.:{

Now, imagine if those weapons that were in the movie District 9 were to become real 40 years from now. Do you understand what will happen? Doesn't that scare you a bit?

I hate to say this but those weapons that are similar in District 9 WILL become reality in the future. There'll be nothing that you and I can do about it. People will ALWAYS want more power, sex, money, etc. And we strive for it everyday. For people who are evil, they don't care who gets hurt or kill. Just as long as their pockets are full, stomach is full, and they have power and control over people. They will be a WW3 in the future and that's a fact.

That's what I think the movie is about. Complete power and control.

beautifulrock
08-23-2009, 02:06 PM
40 years? They have them now.

IrOnMaN
08-23-2009, 09:52 PM
40 years? They have them now.

Yes, they have guns and automatic weapons that are extremely powerful but not the long range guns that can explode like 20 people at once.

Imagine a hand gun that can explode a person's body in half.}:| They're going to make it. It's only a matter of time, I fear.

beautifulrock
08-23-2009, 10:02 PM
are you incapable of understanding? They HAVE them NOW. You think guns haven't evolved beyond simple bullets by now? They just haven't unleashed them yet, for the same reason they haven't "discovered" alternative fuels. Once they did, the old weapons would be obsolete, and therefore worthless. Use your head please. There is a billion watt microwave in Alaska known as HAARP, which can create earthquakes over land and Tsunamis in the sea, and that shit was developed in the late 19th century. It's not like the US or any other military is discovering this stuff and putting it on the news or filing with the patent office.

IrOnMaN
08-24-2009, 01:16 PM
are you incapable of understanding? They HAVE them NOW. You think guns haven't evolved beyond simple bullets by now? They just haven't unleashed them yet, for the same reason they haven't "discovered" alternative fuels. Once they did, the old weapons would be obsolete, and therefore worthless. Use your head please. There is a billion watt microwave in Alaska known as HAARP, which can create earthquakes over land and Tsunamis in the sea, and that shit was developed in the late 19th century. It's not like the US or any other military is discovering this stuff and putting it on the news or filing with the patent office.

I HATE people like you! Just because YOU said, "They have them now" doesn't mean it true. You think you're so damn smart and everyone should and MUST listen to you. And if they do not, you consider them to be idiots and fuck ups. I had it with this e-loser who probably has no REAL offline friends. I'm putting you on my ignore list. Fuck you!

beautifulrock
08-24-2009, 01:34 PM
bummer^^^ lol

tekunique
08-24-2009, 06:09 PM
best Alien movie since Cameron's "Aliens."

whitey
08-24-2009, 06:10 PM
^ for real though, they dont have those weapons now.

beautifulrock
08-26-2009, 12:56 PM
For real though

Do you have a device in your kitchen that can harness microwaves?
Is there a device that can fry electronic devices and harness the power of magnetism?
Is there a device that can harness soundwaves?
Have you ever heard of the term "tactical nuke"?

Those are the basic principals of all the weapons shown in District 9. Don't tell me they don't have them.

Tage
09-04-2009, 12:36 PM
fuck off bitchin folks

dvd quality (R5) rip is out in Russia now... people sorting out a synch for the english audio. this come out fast.

i need to watch this soon.

Bosn
09-05-2009, 10:18 PM
It was a good movie. Reminded me a lot of Planet of the Apes. Curious how the prawn being interviewed in the commercial did not make an appearance in the film. Deleted scene most likely, or perhaps simply used to make the commercial better.

As far as the politics associated with the film are concerned, I don't like to lend my thoughts out to conspiracy theories, but the obsession and power associated with weapons manufacturing was illuminated very well by the tightly written plot.

I thought the movie got quite cheesy towards the end, but such can be expected.

As far as a sequel goes, I was quite taken by the aliens in this film, and would watch a sequel. There's a whole lot of potential left here to unravel. They could definitely do more with the political theme they have going.

whitey
09-06-2009, 11:37 AM
the politics of the film had nothing to do with these super top secret weapons that "we have" right now or corporatism controlling things.

it was showing the parallels with apartheid and xenophobia. the fact that its in south africa is a huge tip off at that. there was an actual district 6 in south africa that was a slum where like 60000 people were forcible removed in the 70s under apartheid.

Sky Blue Bally Kid
09-06-2009, 02:51 PM
I was amazed this only cost $30,000,000 to make.

whitey
09-06-2009, 03:03 PM

thats what happens when you dont have to pay a bunch of big name d-bags millions upon millions just to be in your film.

LORD NOSE
09-06-2009, 03:05 PM
alot of jewels in this flick

an alien named christopher johnson ?

harm77
09-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Some of you guys are truly fucking losers arguing over a movie.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-06-2009, 03:42 PM
alot of jewels in this flick

an alien named christopher johnson ?

:mmmyah:

and there are controlled/directed energy weapons being tested now
everything from plasma to microwaves to electromagnetism

read up on it

Bosn
09-06-2009, 04:04 PM
This thing is savage! Seems like it could lead to non lethal weaponry though, which would be better for everyone except for those manufacturing bullets.
http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/05/pain-gun-gets-air-force-green-light/

tekunique
09-11-2009, 03:30 PM

the studio gave peter jackson 30mil to make whatever he wanted and he decided to bank it on this...lol