PDA

View Full Version : Tarantino's Top 20 Movies Since 1992

Ghost In The 'Lac
08-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Wz4K-Rxx2Bk

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c116/vansgurrl/masanobu20ando2.jpg

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-18-2009, 12:02 PM
i can't help but think he's an egotistical jackass for picking the year that his first film was released as his cutoff date.
"these are the films that have most impressed me since i became a filmmaker myself"---i like dude's work, but fuck off seriously, you're not the fucking cinematic genius you've convinced most of the world you are.
thanks for the video, ghostlaced, his attitude just annoys me sometimes.

Rame
08-18-2009, 12:10 PM
^ Haha. You mad.

Ghost In The 'Lac
08-18-2009, 12:13 PM
nah man i think it was just interesting thing for him to do as a director, the films you like since you started. its pretty normal imo.

he could make all his films look good by picked bad films lol, but i think he has a respectable but pretty boring list. Battle Royal is also one of my favorite film in the last 15 years. Id add in Donnie Darko. I wouldnt of picked Fight Club, Boogie nights, shaun of the dead.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-18-2009, 12:21 PM
"you mad"---seriously? hasn't that lost all potency through overuse? plus only mental defectives and children should even be caught using that in a discussion.
save the idiocy for general chat.

i think he's self promoting and egotistical and i find it irritating how much hype he gets when he is a good filmmaker and screenwriter, but he's not an auteur by any stretch of the imagination, and his main contribution to american cinema has been ironic monologuing and cute, in-jokey self aware dialogue. if you want i can name 10 directors currently active who are much more deserving of the attention he gets, but don't because they aren't attention whores.

plus, like i've said before, i think using actual historical events as genre-bending style exercises is kind of crude and distasteful, but i don't expect anyone to share that opinion.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-18-2009, 12:23 PM
battle royale is dope, you know that was going to end up on his list, since he cast that chick as go go nabari solely off the strength of battle royale. you're right,it probably wasn't even his idea, it's just he reeks of smug---it's reaching george clooney proportions. someone needs to stop his smug cloud.

Rame
08-18-2009, 12:28 PM
"you mad"---seriously? hasn't that lost all potency through overuse? plus only mental defectives and children should even be caught using that in a discussion.
save the idiocy for general chat.

i think he's self promoting and egotistical and i find it irritating how much hype he gets when he is a good filmmaker and screenwriter, but he's not an auteur by any stretch of the imagination, and his main contribution to american cinema has been ironic monologuing and cute, in-jokey self aware dialogue. if you want i can name 10 directors currently active who are much more deserving of the attention he gets, but don't because they aren't attention whores.

plus, like i've said before, i think using actual historical events as genre-bending style exercises is kind of crude and distasteful, but i don't expect anyone to share that opinion.

You mad.

Rame
08-18-2009, 12:29 PM
battle royale is dope, you know that was going to end up on his list, since he cast that chick as go go nabari solely off the strength of battle royale. you're right,it probably wasn't even his idea, it's just he reeks of smug---it's reaching george clooney proportions. someone needs to stop his smug cloud.

You mad.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-18-2009, 12:34 PM
^^^have you ever posted an intelligent thought?
or a funny one even?
ever?
i can imagine you're chuckling at your cleverness hunched over a computer talking in dutch to your boyfriend. 'da nekell giehgi fdgkfda gjfdak jadfkgj 'you mad' jajajajajaja'
fucking idiot.

(waits for rama to type 'you mad' again)

oDoUoSoKo
08-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Willis did a better job as Butch..eloels.

Rame
08-18-2009, 12:39 PM
^^^have you ever posted an intelligent thought?
or a funny one even?
ever?
i can imagine you're chuckling at your cleverness hunched over a computer talking in dutch to your boyfriend. 'da nekell giehgi fdgkfda gjfdak jadfkgj 'you mad' jajajajajaja'
fucking idiot.

(waits for rama to type 'you mad' again)

You are mad, don't hate me for pointing it out.

oDoUoSoKo
08-18-2009, 12:42 PM
also, pandemic..i agree with you...but i guess i stopped ragging on him when i realized A) i grew up on his shit, B) now im just like him, a film buff/fan tryin to make movies....also..his list is proper.

beautifulrock
08-18-2009, 12:50 PM
The list is a glaring example of this man's one dimensional nature. He has some great movies on there by the way, but where the hell is Old Boy? Audition is a masterpiece, but Old Boy is the #1 asian film of all time in my opinion, and that includes The Seven Samurai.

Rame
08-18-2009, 12:56 PM
^ That's all a matter of opinion.

He has some strange picks but overall not a bad list.

Fightclub is definetly up there.

beautifulrock
08-18-2009, 12:57 PM
^ That's all a matter of opinion.

He has some strange picks but overall not a bad list.

Fightclub is definetly up there.Every single movie on his list with the exception of that woody Allen flick is in the action genre. I call that one dimensional.

Rame
08-18-2009, 01:00 PM
I was talking about the Old Boy flick.

beautifulrock
08-18-2009, 01:04 PM
I was talking about the Old Boy flick.Ok, and did you read the part where I flat out said IN MY OPINION. I don't think there was any need to remind everyone that my opinion was an opinion, especially when I said IN MY OPINION.

Yes. I'm mad.

beautifulrock
08-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Here, let me show you the quote again, this time highlighted and in big bold words....

The list is a glaring example of this man's one dimensional nature. He has some great movies on there by the way, but where the hell is Old Boy? Audition is a masterpiece, but Old Boy is the #1 asian film of all time in my opinion, and that includes The Seven Samurai.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-18-2009, 01:09 PM
also, pandemic..i agree with you...but i guess i stopped ragging on him when i realized A) i grew up on his shit, B) now im just like him, a film buff/fan tryin to make movies....also..his list is proper.

i'm in the same boat, i'm sure every director or wannabe director or screenwrite is a film buff at heart, he's just alot more transparent about it; rather than be inspired or influenced by different films or genres, he will take the tropes and aesthetics of them wholesale, and gloss it up with the pop-culture savvy dialogue and present it as something new. i don't hate dude, i've enjoyed all of his films, i just don't see him as an elite cinematic artist the way lynch, gilliam, kubrick, burton, lee, scorsese, cronenberg, anderson, the coens---hell even arenofsky, fincher, or michel gondry are...so it irks me that he's able to surf on a wave of hype that is beyond his actual talent, to the point that he's a household name and even has a reference in the cinematic lexicon- tarantino-esque lol.

trust me, dude, i grew up on his shit too. i remember being blown away by reservoir dogs and pulp fiction back when i was a little kid...but now that i'm older and have seen tons of movies i see that he's not all that special as a filmmaker, and that he has nicked and cribbed from tons of cinematic sources to create his art. i'd say he's a better writer than director to be honest.

but, his list is good for what it is; the man loves movies, i have no doubt of that and i respect his mustache in that regard.

Rame
08-18-2009, 01:10 PM
I didn't give that part of the sentence as much attention as I should.

Sorry Mr. Rock.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-18-2009, 01:11 PM
brock, you know rama's an idiot. he has a jay-z sig and has had it for what seems like an eternity. and he uses 'you mad' like it's actually a fresh meme.

beautifulrock
08-18-2009, 01:12 PM
It's all good Rama, i was just trying to be funny for humor's sake. I fail regularly.

Rame
08-18-2009, 01:20 PM
brock, you know rama's an idiot. he has a jay-z sig and has had it for what seems like an eternity. and he uses 'you mad' like it's actually a fresh meme.

Great logic there.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-18-2009, 01:25 PM
^^you mad?
hur hur hurr hurrr

Rame
08-18-2009, 01:26 PM
Now that was a great joke.

DrunkenMasta303
08-18-2009, 01:34 PM
but Old Boy is the #1 asian film of all time in my opinion,

wTF?, old boy isnt even the best chan-wook movie. mr vengeance & joint security area are waay better IMO

btw from the 20movies he named ive seen 17 and im glad he mentioned the gawd Takashi Miike!! yo

Ghost In The 'Lac
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b1/BR1_Shogo_Kazuo_BagExchange.jpg

U Mad, punk??

Tage
i can't help but think he's an egotistical jackass for picking the year that his first film was released as his cutoff date.
"these are the films that have most impressed me since i became a filmmaker myself"---i like dude's work, but fuck off seriously, you're not the fucking cinematic genius you've convinced most of the world you are.
thanks for the video, ghostlaced, his attitude just annoys me sometimes.

legends like Tarantino are allowed to be egotistical. if i was him... i would be.

DrunkenMasta303
08-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Every single movie on his list with the exception of that woody Allen flick is in the action genre. I call that one dimensional.

friday
shaun of the death
audition
lost in translation
the host
team america

etc...are NOT action movies

DrunkenMasta303
08-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Fightclub is definetly up there.

^only movie he has seen from that list

beautifulrock
08-18-2009, 01:38 PM
wTF?, old boy isnt even the best chan-wook movie. mr vengeance & joint security area are waay better IMO

btw from the 20movies he named ive seen 17 and im glad he mentioned the gawd Takashi Miike!! yo
Yea, but I'm into subtext and ingenuity, which is why District 9 is a classic in my opinion. Forget about the fact that it has a Robocop like body count.

Oh yea and by the way

Joint security 7.8
Mr. Vengeance 7.8

OldBoy 8.3

according to Imdb

I'm not saying your opinion is invalid, just that mine is more with the consensus and it isn't even that close.

DrunkenMasta303
08-18-2009, 01:42 PM
eye wanna see District 9

beautifulrock
08-18-2009, 01:45 PM
rotten tomatoes

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance 55%
Joint Security Area 73%

Old Boy 81%

DUMBO
08-18-2009, 01:46 PM
I can't believe Beretta 9 rolls with that faggit.

(rza, I can believe)

angry!
08-18-2009, 01:55 PM
tarantino makes dope flicks but he sucks in front of the camera especially when hes trying to act.

guy is looped up loony

Ghost In The 'Lac
08-18-2009, 02:00 PM
ive got time for Tarantino because hes a old Wu head.

ill never forget the time he went on a english talkshow in Wu Wear lol.

Tage
08-18-2009, 02:00 PM
tarantino makes dope flicks but he sucks in front of the camera especially when hes trying to act.

guy is looped up loony

^he is fucking brilliant in Dusk til Dawn.

maybe not the best actor in the world.... but he plays his character pretty damn good. him and Clooney play off each other well.

abanks47
08-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Rotten Tomatoes has some fuckin haters. Sympathy for MR. was a great movie, but telling by my sig I still give it up to Oldboy, my all-time favorite. Great list though, love Tarantino

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-18-2009, 03:50 PM
as far as tarantino acting, he was cool in 'dusk til dawn' but 'dead nigger storage' is one of the most awkward scenes in a good movie ever imo...i cringe everytime i see it; awkward in both scripting and performance in my opinion.

beautifulrock
08-18-2009, 04:03 PM
^^^totally agree....they tried to make it ok by giving him a black wife, but I think it just made it worse and even more awkward.

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-19-2009, 12:08 PM
^^^yes and i don't think he's racist by any means, in fact it would've been awkward if the character was black or if the writer or director of the film had been black. as dialogue goes, it just seemed ill conceived and gratuitous...and awkward lol

oDoUoSoKo
08-19-2009, 12:18 PM
eloels,i thought i was alone on that^

Dr. Simon Hurt
08-19-2009, 12:31 PM
lol we're probably the majority, it's just that film has become a cinematic sacred cow at this point; imo, if you didn't react to that scene with either a cringe, raised eyebrow, or something comparable, there's a hole in your brain.

beautifulrock
08-19-2009, 12:42 PM
^^^and that's the point. Tarrantino believes by flashing that overtly racist shit in your face, it will somehow change the minds of those who are racist. Nothing could be further from the truth. Those racists will use those lines as a beacon and spurt them out without any regard to what they really are trying to say. They will take it literally and use it as a weapon.

Rame
08-19-2009, 03:14 PM
^ Haha.

PANDA PISS
08-24-2011, 07:09 PM
"Thats because there ain't no sign there because I store dead nigger bitches feet in there exclusively"

tekunique
08-24-2011, 07:27 PM
cant believe theyre remaking Battle Royale....damn....

MaskedAvenger
08-25-2011, 03:12 AM
thats all they do now remake old shit or foreign shit

Mumm Ra
08-25-2011, 04:07 AM
ive got time for Tarantino because hes a old Wu head.

ill never forget the time he went on a english talkshow in Wu Wear lol.

yeah tarantino went on stage at the first Wu show i seen in orlando, shit was dope

Longbongcilvaringz
08-29-2011, 06:01 AM
ha, you guys are such dweebs.

I find it funny how seriously Tarantino's self satisfied critics take his movies.... when has he ever pretended he is doing anything but entertaining?

I think he's a nerdy, awkward guy, but i don't know him and don't really give a shit. Calling him egotistical is fucking hollow, how would anyone here know if he's egotistical?

Critiquing historical accuracy within clearly fictional texts is equally hollow and acting like it's "crude" or "offensive" in anyway to use historical events within fiction is basically stupid.

Get a grip.

xAHx5O8NFpM

Yeah, this unashamedly goofy guy in wu wear and a kangol really cares about people taking his movies ultra seriously.

tekunique
08-29-2011, 06:45 PM
^^ nice find man. dope he rocked wu wear to that lol i havent noticed him in wu gear in recent years haha