PDA

View Full Version : like it or not, immortal technique is the most influential rap artist in recent years

ALCATRAZ
08-19-2009, 05:20 PM
just to put this into perspective, revolutionary 2 -- technique's defining work .. was released in the yaer 2003, more than half a decade ago ... and he still retains the underground crown ... i have never seen an underground artist release an album that long ago and still remain the most talked about most recommended most sought after rapper ... not to mention he got his start as a battle rapper and can still formulate a solid written, which is generally unheard of amongst "battle rappers"

i challenge someone to name a rapper that made their debut around the same time as immortal technique that has accomplished what he has on the underground level ... i honestly can't think of anyone who has had the underground on lock for this long other than mf doom and even he couldn't gain his respect until he was in the game for a few decades

build...

standout
08-19-2009, 05:22 PM
rev 2 was a classic, but no.

immortal technique is barrly heard of now.

the middle passage was supposed to come out like 4 years ago.

Hollow Dartz
08-19-2009, 05:35 PM
No he isn't.

My Brother's Keeper
08-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Rarely hear anything that can fuck with Technique on Revolutionary vol II... and he jus dropped 3rd world not too long ago... wasn't on the same level as Vol II but it def had some gems on it and he's forever on tour... his live shows are the shit

Dumb & Dumber
08-19-2009, 06:01 PM
edit

Urban_Journalz
08-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Ill post. There's entirely too many people hating on Tech and denying his potential. He's been my favorite emcee since he dropped and he probably will be for years to come.

While you're playin', I'm bumpin the Outerspace track, "Angels Of Death" with Tech on the last verse.:thumbup:

ALCATRAZ
08-19-2009, 07:05 PM
standout and hollow

if not immortal technique, then who? who has garnered the same amount of mass support and underground success as technique?

DUMBO
08-19-2009, 07:11 PM
the problem here is that you used the word 'influential'. this thread should be closed, and you should be banned permanently for spamming.

Ghost In The 'Lac
08-19-2009, 07:15 PM
didnt this nigga wish he blew up the twin towers lol?

id respect him more if h stopped making picket signs and stopped rapping to change the world

standout
08-19-2009, 07:46 PM
standout and hollow

if not immortal technique, then who? who has garnered the same amount of mass support and underground success as technique?

theres no doubt about it that immortal tech created a cult-like following on the underground circut. But his catelogue isnt no where near long enough to be given the crown.

He droped vol.1, vol.2, and the third world to date, and has been active for over 9 years.

someone above said the 3rd world was dope. i disagree...that whole cd had maybe 3 nice songs.

vol. 2 was a classic and is still one of my favourite cds.

vol. 1 was not good. he was off beat on a number of the songs, and aside from a few good tracks like dance with the devil, it had very little to no replay value.

Now as for the question of "who" is the leader of the underground...that depends on what you classify as being "underground"...

But, if i was to say one name - i would say Tech N9ne.

Tecknowledgist
08-19-2009, 08:38 PM
While you're playin', I'm bumpin the Outerspace track, "Angels Of Death" with Tech on the last verse.:thumbup:

thats an ill track. IT destroys it

ALCATRAZ
08-19-2009, 09:35 PM
theres no doubt about it that immortal tech created a cult-like following on the underground circut. But his catelogue isnt no where near long enough to be given the crown.

while i agree that an artist needs a substantial amount of material to be considered a legend, i don't think they need all that material to be considered the reigning king at the time... big l passed way too early just like biggie and they barely have any records .. i'm not trying to compare technique to biggie but i'm just sayin

Now as for the question of "who" is the leader of the underground...that depends on what you classify as being "underground"...

But, if i was to say one name - i would say Tech N9ne.

i respectfully disagree ... tech n9ne is in the same avenue as technique in the sense that he has a strong cult following but his impact is nowhere even remotely close to that of immortal technique ... tech has been rapping since the mid to late 90's and only started to get recognition in the mid 00's ... technique made his only good records in the early 00's and people still can't keep his name out their mouth .... i honestly think technique is the biggest name in underground rap amongst those who started around his time

but back to my original request ... i'd like someone to name a rapper who started around the same time technique did (after the year 2000) that has had the same amount of impact and success in the underground... i seriously can't think of anyone

RandyP
08-19-2009, 10:31 PM
id respect him more if h stopped rapping to change the world

i guess people rap and participate in hip hop for different reasons.

i don't see anything wrong with a dude trying to "change the world" with his art.

at the the end of the day at least you can say you rapped about more than most.

most being, "i sold drugs, i got a gun, i shoot people, i got a big dick, i smoke weed" etc, etc.

who gives a fuck if you did these things?

my main question is why not rap to change the world? why be apathetic
and say "there's nothing i can do." at least someone's trying.

peace god

Rode Block
08-19-2009, 10:35 PM
but back to my original request ... i'd like someone to name a rapper who started around the same time technique did (after the year 2000) that has had the same amount of impact and success in the underground... i seriously can't think of anyone

HHNFdEHk0rg

rPvQU15efpk

RandyP
08-19-2009, 10:58 PM
Immortal Technique> 10 Killer Mikes

THE MASON
08-19-2009, 11:03 PM
No he isn't.

This.

EAGLE EYE
08-19-2009, 11:13 PM
i like how the fred title says.. "like it or not"

I'd probably listen to I.T. if he switched up his content he raps about. I did however like his beef & broccoli interlude (I think that was his best work to date)

Rode Block
08-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Immortal Technique> 10 Killer Mikes

Na. Immortal Technique has never been that nice to me. I think he's a decent rapper, but he isn't anything special, IMO.

I like Revolutionary Vol. 2... but I don't think it's as good as I Pledge Allegiance to tha Grind II.

ALCATRAZ
08-19-2009, 11:49 PM
regardless of whether you think killer mike is a better emcee than technique he hasn't garnered the same amount of success or built a cult fanbase off just two out the trunk albums, not trying to hate on killer mike but how can you compare the two? killer mike has no influence on the UG game whatsoever

ALCATRAZ
08-19-2009, 11:52 PM
and which one of you bitchmade niggaz rated my thread one star

Rode Block
08-19-2009, 11:59 PM
regardless of whether you think killer mike is a better emcee than technique he hasn't garnered the same amount of success or built a cult fanbase off just two out the trunk albums, not trying to hate on killer mike but how can you compare the two? killer mike has no influence on the UG game whatsoever

I never really pay attention to what's underground or mainstream. I just listen to dope music, I don't give a fuck about a label...I probly should've read the thread better. I thought you were just going off dope MC's who debuted post-2000.

But if you were going off influential UG MC's that debuted post-2000 I don't think IT has been influential. Who has he even influenced?

I'd say Little Brother is more influential than Technique.

ALCATRAZ
08-20-2009, 12:09 AM
do you honestly believe little brother made a bigger impact on underground rap than immortal technique?

little brothers best record can't stand against revolutionary volume 2 or even volume 1 for that matter ... and that includes all their mixtape shit which i'm familiar with also

Rode Block
08-20-2009, 12:21 AM
do you honestly believe little brother made a bigger impact on underground rap than immortal technique?

Yeah. Immortal Technique didn't make a huge impact in the underground. Who has he influenced? What has he influenced?

Dead Prez was making that revolutionary shit before him...

little brothers best record can't stand against revolutionary volume 2 or even volume 1 for that matter ... and that includes all their mixtape shit which i'm familiar with also

I'd take The Listening and Minstrel Show over Vol. 2 in a heartbeat.

ALCATRAZ
08-20-2009, 12:26 AM
he's influenced his listeners for one ... not only does technique rap but he speaks at conferences and political events around the world ... dude just came back from the middle east where he was working on opening a school or some shit

this thread is partly my fault tho i should've named it "who had a greater impact on the underground rap scene" ... influence is the wrong word and i stand corrected on that ... but in any event, i haven't heard ANYONE ever say little brother are leading the way in underground rap, i hear folks say that shit about technique almost every other day

ALCATRAZ
08-20-2009, 12:27 AM
rode block post some of little brothers best songs / verses ... highly doubt they'll match the potency of industrial revolution, dance with the devil, or harlem streets

Rode Block
08-20-2009, 12:31 AM
When the Minstrel Show dropped in '05 everyone was saying they gonna be running the underground. Or atleast that's what everyone down here was saying, they were getting mad hyped up for them. lol

And about Technique, if you talking about MORE than just his music, then I can't really argue against that. He does put in a lot of work doing all those political speeches and conferences.

You can tell Technique wants to be known as more than just a rapper... and I ain't gonna hate on that.

Rode Block
08-20-2009, 12:36 AM
rode block post some of little brothers best songs / verses ... highly doubt they'll match the potency of industrial revolution, dance with the devil, or harlem streets

I was listening to this song right now.

ug50Eoq35xY

I don't think it's as good as Dance with the Devil, but I'd take it over Harlem Streets and Industrial Revolution.

abanks47
08-20-2009, 04:26 AM
I don't feel that IT is better nor more influential than LB. Just for the fact that IT has 3 albums and 1-1.5 (only thought a handful of tracks are truly influential)of them were good, IMO. LB comes with nice shit every time, and even though they aren't revolutionarys with there fuckin elbow cocked ready sock someone when rhyming, I feel that they can better connect to an audience/crowd. I've been able to listen to all there albums without skipping a track with the exception of a few skits. I do not think that LB can match dance with the devil, harlem streets, Peruvian coke or leaving the past. but I also dont think 3rd world can even come close to any of LB's shit.
eYLKWTwMSE8

ALCATRAZ
08-20-2009, 05:07 AM
I was listening to this song right now.

ug50Eoq35xY

I don't think it's as good as Dance with the Devil, but I'd take it over Harlem Streets and Industrial Revolution.
no hate but the only thing i'm feelin on that jawn is tha beat

snapple
08-20-2009, 01:17 PM
IT definitely does not get the recognition he deserves....

last i heard was r2 i think....i haven't heard IT in a couple of years....saw him a couple of years ago...really cool dude....

Ghost In The 'Lac
08-20-2009, 03:28 PM
little brother is so b:zring i dont know what faggot is getting off on that shit no homilz

most being, "i sold drugs, i got a gun, i shoot people, i got a big dick, i smoke weed" etc, etc.

who gives a fuck if you did these things?

white people.

white people care about these things. they like to know what he black man is getting up to in those projects. they like to keep an eye on them. white people like to know that the black people are killing themselves in those projects. they like it even more when black people make songs about killing each other for the white persons entertainment. white people also like UFC, rodeo's and daredevils. white people enjoy watching people on the edge of life, as a form of entertainment.

DRUNKENDRAGON
08-20-2009, 05:18 PM
There was a point in time I felt he was the best ever. Not so much since the Third World album. He's pretty one dimensional and after that smash in the face a person can get from hearing him for the first time, the novelty wears off.

ALCATRAZ
08-20-2009, 09:32 PM
cosign ghostlaced litlle brother is booorinng zzzZZzz candy cane simple ass rhymes about nothing at all .... do they even have a classic song, or even a classic verse for that matter??

NIGHT MAYOR
08-21-2009, 01:09 AM
tech is killer, did'nt lilke revolutionary pt.1 too much but all his work is great, he is one artist i can say who gets better over time - wheere some get worse or soft.

The Grandmaster
08-25-2009, 08:54 AM
im not a fan of spoken poetry

soul controller
08-25-2009, 11:40 AM
my all time fave m.c just cos he spits on the same things as i see as important

makeing the masses know real history and how the world works/has worked

to him its important. to those into materialism its not, and he seems stupid
he;s doing himself. not jumpin on bandwagons.

ghostlaced he didnt say he wished he brought down the towers.

*puts on harlem streets

Kingkazim
08-25-2009, 12:03 PM
one dimensional rapper
but hes still dope, gets the job done

begongo
08-25-2009, 12:46 PM
speakonitgod, do you know what influential means?

Sky Blue Danny Kid
08-25-2009, 08:43 PM
I haven't read anything but the thread title, so forgive me if I repeat anything, but IT is not only half-retarded, uneducated, and horrible at rapping, but to be influential people beisdes a smal proportion of nerdy white kids have to listen to you and be influenced by you.

Infamous_Champ_au
08-25-2009, 09:36 PM
i heard bout tech when someone told me to listen to dance with the devil... that story is crazy haha... and then i went and brought 2 of his albums and the guy just flows so easy and his story telling is crazy... peruvian cocaine is my fav song, love the beat from scarface :)

ALCATRAZ
08-25-2009, 11:03 PM
I haven't read anything but the thread title, so forgive me if I repeat anything, but IT is not only half-retarded, uneducated, and horrible at rapping, but to be influential people beisdes a smal proportion of nerdy white kids have to listen to you and be influenced by you.
cooldan can you name another rapper who made his debut around the same time who had a greater impact ??

GhettoGnom
08-26-2009, 10:11 AM
just to put this into perspective, revolutionary 2 -- technique's defining work .. was released in the yaer 2003, more than half a decade ago ... and he still retains the underground crown ... i have never seen an underground artist release an album that long ago and still remain the most talked about most recommended most sought after rapper ... not to mention he got his start as a battle rapper and can still formulate a solid written, which is generally unheard of amongst "battle rappers"

i challenge someone to name a rapper that made their debut around the same time as immortal technique that has accomplished what he has on the underground level ... i honestly can't think of anyone who has had the underground on lock for this long other than mf doom and even he couldn't gain his respect until he was in the game for a few decades

What do this got to do with 'most influential rap artist in recent years'?

Most influential rap artist in recent years is probably Lil' Wayne or Eminem.

If that's not what you're asking of though, you got people like Canibus & Tech N9ne who've had a stronger following.