PDA

View Full Version : Western Movies

CharlesJones
08-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Ya'll like western movies like me? I've seen a few lately like Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford with Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck, The Good The Bad The Ugly with Clint Eastwood, 3:10 To Yuma with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale. I got a western movie from the library yesterday called Open Range with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall. I haven't watched it yet.

100pr00f
08-23-2009, 03:08 PM
alot of the clint eastwoodflicks are good

i recommend the magnificent seven

The Hound
08-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Pale Rider
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Two Mules for Sister Sarah
Dollars Trilogy
The Alamo
Dead Man
Once Upon a Time in the West
Fistful of Dynamite
Unforgiven
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The Great Silence
The Wild Bunch

IrOnMaN
08-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Tomstone staring Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer is an excellent movie.

netscape check two
08-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Westworld.

The Hound
08-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Almost forgot: How the West was Won

GZAjector
08-24-2009, 11:58 PM
yo for real
westerns are the shit

along with zombie flicks, it's my favorite genre
the best is when you combine the 2 haha

outlaw josey wales is my all time favorite shit

i'm gonna tell you something a little unorthodox...

PAINT YOUR MOTHERFUCKIN WAGON

http://www.pathguy.com/paint_your_wagon.jpg

lee marvin and clint eastwood singin in a western musical, no homo

shit was funny tho

The Hound
08-25-2009, 12:03 AM
Dying ain't much of a living, boy - classic Eastwood.

DDceawCF5Xk

Not a conventional western but Dead Man is a must see. Neil Young performs some of the greatest music ever heard in a film too, classic soundtrack.

Art Vandelay
08-25-2009, 12:11 AM
my favorite western is el dorado with john wayne, james caan and robert mitchum

jaupoon
08-26-2009, 07:56 AM
Definately check out The Wild Bunch, thats a classic right there.
Oh and I agree with the poster a couple above me= Dead Man. That is a awesome flick from a very talented director "Jim Jarmusch". Most Wu heads know of him as the dude who also made Ghost Dog: Way Of The Samurai.

Mumm Ra
08-26-2009, 08:04 AM
yo look up the appaloosa starring marlin brando
love that flick, should watch it again soon

TSA
08-26-2009, 08:13 AM
Westerns are my shit, the serigo leone spagetti westerns are some of the best examples of movie making as an art form.

The Hound
08-26-2009, 08:16 AM
A Fistful of Dynamite is on TV right now.

People need to check out Yojimbo if they have seen A Fistful of Dollars, Leone straight jacked it nearly scene for scene without giving credit.

zgswymaBuDk

Art Vandelay
08-26-2009, 08:22 AM
shit, i forgot about dead man. i own that dvd. great flick

TSA
08-26-2009, 09:20 AM
yeah i heard about he yojimbo, anyone got a link for watching that movie, i swear sick ass jap samurai flicks are the rarest things online

The Hound
08-26-2009, 09:33 AM
http://www.movshare.net/video/47hxjd4qyw3jq#

Jeru
08-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Love westerns

oDoUoSoKo
08-26-2009, 11:26 AM
A Fistful of Dynamite is on TV right now.

People need to check out Yojimbo if they have seen A Fistful of Dollars, Leone straight jacked it nearly scene for scene without giving credit.

zgswymaBuDk
he couldnt get the rights to remake the movie...but he did it anyway...he didnt (far as i kno) go on record and say the movie was his creation completely, matter of fact, im pretty sure he acknowledges that he remade the movie.

Jeru
08-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Nobody mentioned High Noon?

The Hound
08-26-2009, 09:48 PM
he couldnt get the rights to remake the movie...but he did it anyway...he didnt (far as i kno) go on record and say the movie was his creation completely, matter of fact, im pretty sure he acknowledges that he remade the movie.

He never sought the rights as far as I know because he always claimed the plot of Yojimbo was taken from somewhere which he also cited as inspiration for his film.

CharlesJones
08-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Kevin Costner was in another western called Silverado. I wanna see that. Kevin Kline and Danny Glover are also in that. Wasn't Kevin Costner also in Wyatt Earp? Lonesome Dove movies i wanna check out also because my girl Diane Lane are in those. I'm gonna check out Tombstone with Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer. I was thinking about that one last week.

oDoUoSoKo
08-29-2009, 01:24 PM
it was an unofficial remake...by which i mean he didnt steal anything...and btw..though i really like Yojimbo...and i really wanna say i liked it more than dollars...i cant. eloels.

The Hound
08-30-2009, 03:14 AM
There is no such thing as an unofficial remake - that's called plagiarism and that's why Kurosawa won his compensation.

oDoUoSoKo
08-30-2009, 10:48 AM
my point isnt that he had the rights to do it, its that he didnt claim to have made an original movie...there is a huge difference there.

GZAjector
08-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Lucio Fulci's

http://www.horrorexpress.com/images/fouroftheapocalypse.jpg

1975 and a genre is dying. Damaged by endlessly repeating characters and storylines, and now associated more with comedy than serious drama, the Spaghetti Westerns were forced to up their gore and nudity quotas to compete with the popular giallo films of the day. With such an unrestrained opportunity, Lucio Fulci soon to be known as the Godfather of Gore would present one of the most violent and twisted Westerns of the era.

Cardsharp 'Stubby' Preston (Fabio Testi), pregnant prostitute 'Bunny' O'Neill (Lynne Frederick), town drunk Clem (Michael J. Pollard) and insane Bud (Harry Baird) are locked up the in town gaol of Salt Flats Utah on the night that the residents decide to 'clean up' their town. A gang of white hooded gunmen attack and kill a myriad of drunks and pimps in a brutal massacre. Bribing the town sheriff, Stubby is able to secure his release, and the four end up on a wagon heading anywhere that isn't Salt Flats. It is not a few days before they encounter Chaco (Tomas Milian), a long haired, bandanna sporting sharpshooter. An experienced hunter, he offers them daily supplies of food if they allow him to join their four. But the good-hearted innocence of the group is destroyed as they find him torturing a sheriff; and after plying the four with drugs and alcohol, he rapes Bunny and shoots Clem in the leg before taking their horses and wagons and leaving them to die. It is up to the group to rally together to survive.

Director Lucio Fulci often boasted that his Westerns brought a surreal dream-like aspect to the genre, although whether his films were deliberately surreal, or just badly written, is open to debate. It is worth noting that Fulci did not write this film, it was scripted by Ennio Concini, based on some short stories by Bret Harte. The characterisation of the four is decent enough for a Spaghetti Western and we do get some romantic interest between Stubby and Bunny although this is rather unsubtly written. The character of Chaco is deliberately enigmatic, and remains thus; his character an interesting reversal of the stereotypical Western hero who appears from nowhere, boasts pinpoint shooting and is known by a single name. A notable tendency of the script is to jump to new scenes overly rapidly: in the opening, Stubby bribes the town sheriff and immediately the group of four are out of town on their wagon; while later we do not see how the four untie themselves after Chaco leaves them to die.

Although it can give the impression that Four of the Apocalypse was filmed more as a series of set-pieces than a rolling narrative, it does give the film a dreamlike feel (dreams tend to have bizarre jumps in space and time) and is a common feature of many of Fulci's films. It can also give the mistaken impression that scenes are cut or missing from the film. The dreamlike atmosphere is also aided by the strange locations that the characters visit a rainy ghost-town, and a curious snowbound village with all-male inhabitants. It has often been said that Lucio Fulci didn't treat his female characters well, and this film hardly counters that feeling: Bunny is the only female character and as well as being raped by Chaco, she has to make lengthy walks despite being heavily pregnant and ultimately endure a painful labour. However, all of the characters suffer throughout the film, death and pain being a key component of Fulci's Wild West, and the fate of Bunny is no worse than that reserved for some of the male characters.

The film is shot in an unspectacular way. The 1.85:1 frame is uncommon in the Spaghetti Western the wider scope frame being used more often to emphasise the big scenery. Fulci uses the frame to the full and the film does not suffer, but nor does it gain. The gunfights are bloodsoaked, but look quite unrealistic, the blood throughout the film having a very light, almost pink tone to it; it would be a few years yet before the Italian gore industry perfected their hideous art. The biggest problem with the film is the soundtrack, like many of the Spaghetti Westerns in the later days, the main musical theme was a narrative soft-rock ballad an attempt to tell the story of the characters via song; this sounds cheesy and it is. Music is very important in films, to build tension and emphasise mood but when the same jovial song is being used throughout, these moods are missing and the film suffers as a consequence.

Megavideo: http://www.megavideo.com/?v=UQFN2QV8

YO I SAW THIS MOVIE AS A KID AND I FUCKING LOVED IT.
i found this link to a stream last night, but haven't got around to watching it again yet, but i will. i will.

The Hound
08-30-2009, 09:47 PM
my point isnt that he had the rights to do it, its that he didnt claim to have made an original movie...there is a huge difference there.

He did claim it as an original movie by coining the headline "The first movie of its kind" which is what upset Kurosawa.

oDoUoSoKo
08-30-2009, 09:56 PM
meh, i still see it differently...we'll leave it at that.