PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody tell me why I should care about a new Jay-Z album in 2009???

Thworldisyours
08-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Seriously, and I'm a huge fan of this guy's work. I've heard most of his albums a billion times.

But he said it himself, what more can he say? (And that was THREE albums ago!)

I dont even feel like downloading his new album... So why SHOULD I care again?

cap
08-25-2009, 04:04 PM
because he's one of the most relevant rappers in the game (maybe THE most relevant)

because his last album was one of the best in his career

because he's a great rapper who makes good music

djskillz
08-25-2009, 04:07 PM
^Not anymore. American Gangster was good but everything since then has been garbage. Swagga Like Us? Jay-Z is one of the most trend-hopping rappers in history. It's actually depressing to see considering his long list of classics.

Guarded By Martyrs
08-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Why not listen to it, then, either say :

"Wow, I Was Wrong, This Is Crack"

or

"I Knew It...Watered Down Substance"

I'm sure he'll drop some excellent verses
The only question is the production, which sometimes goes missing, in my opinion.

ALCATRAZ
08-25-2009, 04:30 PM
his sound just doesn't work for me

Rame
08-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Because he is the GOAT.

Lex Lugor
08-25-2009, 04:34 PM
you shouldnt

RAW-TASTE
08-25-2009, 04:37 PM
he fell off....everything he did the last few years isnt even a MATCH to what he did way before....but maybe cuz he has potential to stil make a good album, but i havent checked for him for a while, last one i heard was 'american gangster' it was ok

J-DON
08-25-2009, 04:53 PM
I dunno, American Gangster was dope but everything ive heard from this new one has been substandard.

ALCATRAZ
08-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Because he is the GOAT.
lol

main_man
08-25-2009, 05:28 PM
because he's one of the most relevant rappers in the game (maybe THE most relevant)

co-sign ^
cause jigga is the man. and i think d.o.a. is one of his hardest songs in a LONG time.
i mean, after seeing the tracklisting, im not as amped up as before. but its jay-z, man. i mean, come on.

11th Chamber
08-25-2009, 08:47 PM
I'll download it simply for the fact to hear the Kanye beats. Other than that I'll be too busy bumping CL2 to care

oDoUoSoKo
08-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Seriously, and I'm a huge fan of this guy's work. I've heard most of his albums a billion times.

But he said it himself, what more can he say? (And that was THREE albums ago!)

I dont even feel like downloading his new album... So why SHOULD I care again?
co-sign x100000..whole post.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Why not listen to it, then, either say :

"Wow, I Was Wrong, This Is Crack"

or

"I Knew It...Watered Down Substance"

I'm sure he'll drop some excellent verses
The only question is the production, which sometimes goes missing, in my opinion.

for that matter why should i care i mean american gangster was better than the over hyped didn't even live up to the hype many jay-stans said it would was kingdom come neither did blueprint 2 and futher more its gonna be good and be praised as a classic which it will be a faux-classic

The Hound
08-25-2009, 09:40 PM
It'll be worth a download to see how it goes but I can't see myself purchasing it or even really giving it too much of a spin for long than a week.

Khem The Decepticon
08-25-2009, 11:21 PM
I might get it but im not sure....

Thworldisyours
08-26-2009, 12:18 PM

Is he REALLY the most relevant rapper in the game? Mind you, I dont even care who is relevant or not, but is Jay-Z in 2009 the most relevant???

And American Gangster, while a good effort, isnt anywhere close to being one of his best albums of his career... Actually, it's probably one of his worst (has more to do with how good his catalog is than the actual album...)

Jay right now is the same place where Nas is IMO. These guys have done so many albums, so much work, that right now they have to have a theme attached to their project. Nas is very smart in this that every cd he does now has a theme (i.e. Hip Hop Is Dead, Nigger, and now the Damian Marley project)... Whether or not the album follows the theme is debatable but at least it's a reason to hear a NEW album from them.

Ghostface is also kinda in that lane now and he's doing an R&B themed album. Jay even did this himself with American Gangster to some extent. But to just release a Blueprint sequel is a boring venture IMO. I dont care about him teaming up with new cats like Drake or whoever. I dont even care about Kanye beats anymore. I dont know the tracklisting by heart but I'm sure he's going to pick the same old producers like Neptunes, Dre, Timbaland, etc that we have heard a billion times before...

So again, why should I care about a Jay-Z album in 2009? And the reason I ask this is some sites/people I know are acting like this is a big deal, and I just dont care...

Rame
08-26-2009, 12:32 PM
Why would you care about a new Raekwon album? A boring OB4CL sequel.

Because it's damn good music.

sdeblasi
08-26-2009, 12:34 PM

even you have to admit the 4 or 5 songs so far off BP3 have been sub-par

Rame
08-26-2009, 12:38 PM
I have heard 2 tracks so far.

D.O.A. & Run This Town and both are bangin'.

I'm not telling you to think the same thing but it's the music I like to listen to.

sdeblasi
08-26-2009, 12:52 PM
I have heard 2 tracks so far.

D.O.A. & Run This Town and both are bangin'.

I'm not telling you to think the same thing but it's the music I like to listen to.

DOA is pretty good, Rihanna was the best part of Run This Town imo, and ive heard 3 Timbo produced tracks (Venus vs Mars, Off That, and Reminder), and Jay-Z almost sounds bored on them

GhettoGnom
08-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Because you're a fan of Hip Hop.

+J. Cole is on it

Thworldisyours
08-26-2009, 12:57 PM

The reason I care about a new Raekwon album is because he hasnt had an album in years... A good album since Immobilarity... And a classic album since Cuban Linx 1...

I'm curious to see if he can put out a classic right now... And the producer list looks pretty good...

Either way, Cuban Linx 2 is the only upcoming album I REALLY care about this year...

Krish
08-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Big Jay fan but wtf is going on with BP3 it seems to be sucking on a major scale

RALPH WIGGUM
08-26-2009, 07:04 PM

co-sign ^
cause jigga is the man. and i think d.o.a. is one of his hardest songs in a LONG time.
i mean, after seeing the tracklisting, im not as amped up as before. but its jay-z, man. i mean, come on.

Exactly.

snapple
08-26-2009, 07:21 PM
i'm not really into the new song.....DOA was cool though....

it's jay-z....this is a hip-hop fourm....everybody is gonna check for it anyway....

main_man
08-26-2009, 07:47 PM
jigga is a hood hero, man. even if his music isnt what is was in the black album days.

cat came from street hustling to c.e.o. to mega celebrity AND the muh fucka scooped beyonce. i CANNOT hate on this man. i would get my hood pass revoked. lol.

Thworldisyours
08-27-2009, 11:41 AM
jigga is a hood hero, man. even if his music isnt what is was in the black album days.

cat came from street hustling to c.e.o. to mega celebrity AND the muh fucka scooped beyonce. i CANNOT hate on this man. i would get my hood pass revoked. lol.

You're right... I should care about his albums just because he's fuckin beyonce...

Actually, his next album should be called just that...

''I'm Fuckin Beyonce''

iammzac
08-27-2009, 12:33 PM
His new album hasn't had a track I've liked so far..