View Full Version : Top 5 Floyd Albums

noel411
08-29-2009, 09:01 PM
1. Dark Side of the Moon
2. Wish You Were Here / Animals
4. The Wall
5. Meddle

Post yours...please.

If you're not a big fan but listen to them a bit then post your top 3 or even just your favourite...please.

oDoUoSoKo
08-29-2009, 10:00 PM
1. Wish you were here
2. Dark Side of The Moon
3. The Wall
4. Animals
5. Piper

this list changes often^^eloels...

Longbongcilvaringz
08-30-2009, 04:44 AM
- Wish You Were Here
- The Wall
- Meddle
- Dark Side Of The Moon
- Ummagumma

claaa7
08-30-2009, 07:42 AM
1. Dark Side of the Moon
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Meddle
4. Animals
5. A Sacreful Of Secrets

JerseyIronman
08-30-2009, 08:00 PM
1. The Wall
2. Animals
3. Dark Side
4. Wish You Were Here
5. Meddle

The Void
09-03-2009, 04:54 AM
1. Meddle
2. Animals
3. Wish You Were Here
4. Dark Side
5. Wall

Meddle was the actual first album I heard and fell in love with it. Animals is a very close second.

Krusha
09-03-2009, 04:59 AM
1. Dark Side of the Moon
2. Wish You Were Here
3. Animals
4. The Wall
5. Meddle

Martial-Expert
09-03-2009, 07:02 AM
the 3 albums i have are :
Dark Side Of The Moon
Echoes: The Best Of Pink Floyd
Wish You were Here

all on CD no downloads!
since i only have 2 studio albums i'll just mention my favorite songs, and they have to be the likes of time, wish you were here, The Fletcher Memorial Home, Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun and of course the great Gig in the Sky! :)

Jeru
09-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Well I'm not a hige Floyd fan ( some of you might already know that LOL ) but I do own Dark Side and the Puls live album so making a top 5 isn't something I'm able to do but Pulse is a very gripping album especially the live version of Shine on...

the scarecrow
09-03-2009, 01:50 PM
the wall

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-03-2009, 02:20 PM
^^^wall wouldn't make my top 5...top 6 certainly...it's good but it's like a roger water's solo album masquerading as a pink floyd record...and if anyone's listened to water's solo work they know what i mean...that said it's got some classic tracks but it suffers from double album-itis

my top 5
in no particular order

animals
wish you were here
dark side of the moon
saucerful of secrets
ummagumma

JASPER
09-03-2009, 02:57 PM
1 - The best of Pink Floyd

5hundred&one
09-03-2009, 06:32 PM
wish you were here
piper at the gates
animals
dark side of the moon
the wall

meddle, ummagumma, saucerful of secrets and even the final cut get honorable mentions. not a big fan of the rest.

noel411
09-03-2009, 11:34 PM
I reckon my number 6 would probably actually be Obscured By Clouds. I rather enjoy that album, or soundtrack, or whatever you wanna call it.

The Hound
09-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
The Wall

I haven't heard all of their stuff to really comment though but DSOTM is a fucking incredible album.

:chef:

INF
09-03-2009, 11:39 PM
wish you were here
darkside of the moon
animals
the wall
piper at the gates of dawn

^ in that order

claaa7
09-04-2009, 04:06 AM
^^ piper at the gates of dawn seems to be very underrated here, it is very different from later Pink Floyd work but still an incredible record!

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-04-2009, 07:04 AM
I reckon my number 6 would probably actually be Obscured By Clouds. I rather enjoy that album, or soundtrack, or whatever you wanna call it.

this is a good album, as well as 'More' from the same era (Except for the spanish skit...wtf were they thinking?)

^^ piper at the gates of dawn seems to be very underrated here, it is very different from later Pink Floyd work but still an incredible record!

i like saucerful of secrets slightly more but i love both syd barrett era records but you are right they are more whimsical and playful then the stuff after his departure...the ones that seem to get no love are the post-waters records like division bell---which as occasionally cheesy as it is i find enjoyable.

Robert
09-04-2009, 09:58 AM
^^^wall wouldn't make my top 5...top 6 certainly...it's good but it's like a roger water's solo album masquerading as a pink floyd record...and if anyone's listened to water's solo work they know what i mean...that said it's got some classic tracks but it suffers from double album-itis

I sort of agree.

The thing is, "The Wall" has some of the best Pink Floyd moments IMO (chilling and meaningful) which for me, completely makes up for "double album-itis".

Examples:

The second half of "The Thin Ice".

Mother.

The last verse of "Hey You".

Goodbye Blue Sky.

I could name lots of other little moments that got me but I won't bother.

The album kind of needs to be listened to as a whole also.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-04-2009, 11:14 AM
The Wall has powerful moments.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-04-2009, 11:21 AM
I sort of agree.

The thing is, "The Wall" has some of the best Pink Floyd moments IMO (chilling and meaningful) which for me, completely makes up for "double album-itis".

Examples:

The second half of "The Thin Ice".

Mother.

Goodbye Blue Sky.

I could name lots of other little moments that got me but I won't bother.

The album kind of needs to be listened to as a whole also.

you picked the main candidates for spine tingling moments imo...good man
it's definitely a gesamkunstwerk (complete work of art)
i spin this in it's entirety if i'm playing chess alot

and atom heart mother

damn i should amend my list to include that album...it's like a soundtrack to an epic film that exists in your mind.

oDoUoSoKo
09-04-2009, 07:28 PM
1. Wish you were here
2. Dark Side of The Moon
3. The Wall
4. Animals
5. Piper

this list changes often^^eloels...

wish you were here
darkside of the moon
animals
the wall
piper at the gates of dawn

^ in that order
close..eloels.

JASPER
09-04-2009, 07:48 PM
It's hard to choose, because my favourite song Comfortably Numb comes from that shit album The Wall.

1 - Wish You Were Here (shine on your crazy diamond!!!)
2 - Dark Side of the Moon (speak to me!)
3 - Meddle (echoes!!!!!!!)
4 - Animals
5 - The Wall

oDoUoSoKo
09-04-2009, 08:02 PM
on the subject of that song....its a great song...dont get me wrong..just wish it was mixed differently.

INF
09-04-2009, 08:19 PM
damn dusk I didnt even see your 5 ,lol. I think we talked floyd before though and agreed on those ones.

lotta hate for the wall and I can understand the points made. mother used to be one of my fav floyd songs.now its probably have a cigar. Its always been have a cigar since I was real little so I dont think its gonna change.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-04-2009, 08:24 PM
^^^mine is welcome to the machine...since i was a kid and first heard wish you were here on vinyl blasting at like 3 am lol

oDoUoSoKo
09-04-2009, 08:32 PM
^^^mine is welcome to the machine...since i was a kid and first heard wish you were here on vinyl blasting at like 3 am lol
:clap:

noel411
09-04-2009, 08:37 PM
I think it's a great album, it's just not really my style. I do enjoy it, but I'm a much bigger fan of their later, more serious stuff. Barrett's solos are pretty enjoyable too.
the ones that seem to get no love are the post-waters records like division bell---which as occasionally cheesy as it is i find enjoyable.
I like about half of each of these albums, but they are just so fucking bland and pedestrian compared to the innovative an unconventional work they did with Waters. There's some really gut wrenchingly awful moments on those albums too, and a lot of cliche, even laughable lyrics. But yeah, they both have some good tracks on them.
I especially like this verse on the live Pulse album, where Gilmour sings a highly emphasized and powerful version of the verse.

While we're on the subject of the Floyd, does anybody else find Waters' vocals on The Final Cut pretty much unbearable?

oDoUoSoKo
09-04-2009, 08:53 PM
meh, eloels

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-04-2009, 09:10 PM
final cut is the worst pink floyd album without a question imo

and welcome to the machine used to scare the shit out of me in a good way...the pulsation and the synthwork, with the vinyl hiss of the 70s pressing lol...it was like some jack kirby machine entering our dimension or some shit..and then once you're old enough you realize how phenomenal and potent it is, both lyrically and sonically

and ya, division bell definitely has it's soft rock-dental office soundtrack moments and late 80s early 90s cliches and the lyrics are typically shallow/mundane...but the album has an overall nice vibe imo like a mleancholic/nostalgic vibe...definitely a middle ager's album though

Robert
09-05-2009, 03:16 AM
gs3lQVyZPVg

Longbongcilvaringz
09-05-2009, 05:38 AM
Confortably Numb is probably the first Pink Floyd track i heard, and it's still a favourite.

Maybe there should be a discussion of the less appreciated/shittier Floyd albums.

I still think some of them have merit.

I like A Momentary Lapse Of Reason quite a lot, although was talking about it today with Robert, and he had a cooler appraisal of it.

JASPER
09-05-2009, 05:41 AM
That's a great version

noel411
09-10-2009, 08:10 AM
I finally did it. I ordered the motherfucker...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/noel411/emicd11228-large_0710_5ca.jpg

The Hound
09-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Damn, wtf? Where did you get that, JB Hi Fi?

noel411
09-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Nah, I ordered if from Amazon UK. After searching for it online quite extensively, that was the best price I could find. I got it for about AU$175, brand new and including postage, from a 3rd party seller or whatever they call it.

Robert
09-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Now that is incredibly dope. The price isn't too bad either.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-10-2009, 10:03 AM
i want that!

a momentary lapse of reason has it's moments imo, as does division bell...the only album i really can't say much of anything good about is final cut...it's just an absolutely dreary album

Longbongcilvaringz
09-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Yeah that collection looks great.

Pretty good price also really, for what, 15 albums or something?

One of my favourite parts on Momentary Lapse of Reason is 'A New Machine (Part 1)' for some reason.

The Hound
09-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Especially when the P&H is factored in, that's where you get royaly fucked on Amazon buying something for $15 only to have another $15 slapped on for P&H.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Those are CD's right?

I can't really tell from the photo.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-10-2009, 11:26 AM
i was wondering that also
the dimensions almost look like vinyl
which would be awesome too
i'm sorely in need of some floyd vinyl
i've got my dad's old ass wish you were here vinyl but it's warped from heat so it's just for show at this point lol

Robert
09-10-2009, 11:27 AM
"Learn To Fly" is great in a very cheesy sort of way. I can't say that much about Gilmour's song writing on that album though.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-10-2009, 11:32 AM
in general, gilmour's pretty cliche and hackneyed lyrically...there are no memorable lines or imagery really imo

The Hound
09-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Those are CD's right?

I can't really tell from the photo.

Digipacks probably.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-10-2009, 11:58 AM
I like Learning to Fly a lot.

But i can see why PF fans don't dig that later stuff, it just coincidentally appeals to my personal taste, in a different way to their other music.

'Condition grounded, but determined to try!'

lol.

Robert
09-10-2009, 12:17 PM
I like Learning to Fly a lot.

But i can see why PF fans don't dig that later stuff, it just coincidentally appeals to my personal taste, in a different way to their other music.

'Condition grounded, but determined to try!'

lol.

"A flight of fancy on a wind swept field"

"fatal attraction is holding me fast, how can I escape this irresistible grass?"

Hahahahaha!

How can't you love the corniness and humour surrounding those lyrics?

A flight of fancy? Irresistible grass?

Bahahahaha!

Longbongcilvaringz
09-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah, i dig them.

Not sure they are actually written by Gilmour though, i think there were a few other people writing lyrics on A Momentary Lapse of Reason from memory.

Not sure which tracks specifically though.

Robert
09-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Yeah, that did occur to me (while I was out having a dart, knock on my door if you're keen btw). But he did the bulk of the song writing yes?

Longbongcilvaringz
09-10-2009, 12:37 PM
He did most of it, there were other cats helping out at some stages though.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-10-2009, 12:54 PM
i thought it was "irresistable grasp"

gilmour's also done alot of background music for science and forensics documentaries...sound nothing like the floyd stuff really except for the "wailing kitten guitars"...trademark

noel411
09-10-2009, 10:27 PM
the only album i really can't say much of anything good about is final cut
I like Not Now John. No coincidence that it's the only song where Gilmour does some of the vocals. I just think that singing style Waters used on FC and his solo albums is dreadful. There's some pretty good songs on FC imo, but the vocals just ruin them.
15 albums or something?
16 discs. 14 albums, 2 of which are double cd's.
Those are CD's right?
Yeah they're cd's, but they're presented in miniature replicas of the original vinyl sleeves. I think you get a coaster and a poster with it too. I haven't received it yet.
One of my favourite parts on Momentary Lapse of Reason is 'A New Machine (Part 1)' for some reason.
Haha, man you've got some "out there" tastes. That is the most cringe worthy moment in the whole Floyd catalogue imo...lolz.
"Learn To Fly" is great in a very cheesy sort of way.
One thing I'll say about the 2 Gilmour Floyd albums is that Learning to Fly was a great way to kick off the career of a Waters-less Floyd, and High Hopes was a great way to end it. Both songs are amazingly "cheesy" lyrically though.
in general, gilmour's pretty cliche and hackneyed lyrically...there are no memorable lines or imagery really imo
Absolutely agree. Even he admits he's not a good or natural lyricst though.
"fatal attraction is holding me fast, how can I escape this irresistible grass?"
Haha, that's "irrestible GRASP", you clown.

How about "ice is forming on the tips of my wings"...lolz.
How can't you love the corniness and humour surrounding those lyrics?
I often literally smile or even laugh at some of the lyrics on those and Gilmour's solo albums too. My favourite lyric is from his About Face album..."I was looking for love in wandering eyes, like a ship trying to fix on a beacon"...fucken awesome.

I do believe that Gilmour wrote pretty much all the lyrics on AMLOR, and that his then girlfriend and now wife co-wrote a lot of the lyrics on TDB (I read a Pink Floyd biography recently).

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-11-2009, 08:26 AM
^^^what was the name of that biography?

and i completely agree on the final cut...waters definitely asserted too much control over the album imo...it fits more comfortably alongside radio kaos or that depressing album about hitchhiking than it does the rest of pink floyd's discography.

Robert
09-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Lol @ "irresistible grass". I just presumed it was that because in the previous couple of lines he says something about being in a field. Either way it's fucking ridiculous.

5hundred&one
09-11-2009, 03:29 PM
the final cut...

hmmm, I haven't felt very compelled to listen to it in a long time, but I remember there being 5 or 6 songs that were great, 'not now john' is uhh.. not one of them though...

the things I hated most about it was roger waters making a solo album and calling it pink floyd, david gilmour forgetting how to play guitar on half the songs, there only being three saxophone solos and a few other complaints...

but if you're a person who likes lyrics with your music, this is waters at his best.

speaking of him at his best though...

does anyone else agree that 'the Trial' is his greatest artistic achievement?

5hundred&one
09-11-2009, 03:33 PM
oh and both of the post-waters floyd albums can eat a dick, I don't care about guitar tones or catchy hooks or none of that shit, the music is souless drivel...

and surprisingly, it's still heads and shoulders above roger waters solo work.

in fact the only album of that ilk that I think was passable was David Gilmour's first solo, which was really good.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-11-2009, 03:44 PM
^^^i haven't listened to gilmour's solo work, but you raised some good points about the final cut and exactly why i don't like it...eventually i'll give it another listen...i agree with you about MLOR and Division Bell being "soulless drivel" they definitely lack the propulsive rhythms and quasi-funk that imo makes wish you here and dark side of the moon so special...but there's a vibe to both that i enjoy...bitteresweet nostalgia is the best way i can describe it.

imo radio kaos is the best roger waters solo album and it's not even very good, similar in quality to final cut really...

noel411
09-19-2009, 05:41 AM
^^^what was the name of that biography?
Saucerful of Secrets: The Pink Floyd Odyssey, by Nicholas Schaffner. It was pretty good. I really wanna get Nick Mason's autobiography though.
waters definitely asserted too much control over the album imo...it fits more comfortably alongside radio kaos or that depressing album about hitchhiking than it does the rest of pink floyd's discography.
Apparently Waters wanted to release it as a solo album, because that's pretty much what it is, but Gilmour didn't want his involvement in it to be for nothing, so it was released as a Floyd album. On the sleeve it says "a requiem for the post war dream...by roger waters...performed by pink floyd".
but if you're a person who likes lyrics with your music, this is waters at his best.
I don't listen to rock music for the lyrics. I definitely prefer good lyrics, but it's not priority for me in regards to rock. Waters is a great lyricist though. No doubt about it. The album was not lacking in the lyrics department.
and surprisingly, it's still heads and shoulders above roger waters solo work.
Yeah I think those last 2 Floyd albums are still better than any of the solos, ordinary as they are. Waters blows as a solo artist. Gilmour is far too unadventurous and conventional, as demonstrated on the previously mentioned Floyd albums. I actually heard Rick Wright's solos for the first time the other day, and thought they were surprisingly decent. Better than Waters' imo. Maybe Gilmour too.

The box set arrived the other day. It's pretty rad. The cd's are also mini replicas of the original vinyl, with the same print and all. They even come in little plastic covers like vinyl does. Nice poster and 2 coasters too.

DC Entel
10-07-2009, 07:40 PM
dark side of the moonneyyy

JASPER
10-10-2009, 07:00 PM
If you'd have to fit your favourite Pink Floyd songs on a 80 minute cd, what would the tracklist be?

Echoes
Shine on you crazy diamond
Any colour you like
Pigs
Time
Comfortably numb
Wish you were here

djskillz
10-10-2009, 09:13 PM
1. Wish You Were Here
2. Animals
3. Dark Side of the Moon
4. The Wall
5. Atom Heart Mother

djskillz
10-10-2009, 09:24 PM
If you'd have to fit your favourite Pink Floyd songs on a 80 minute cd, what would the tracklist be?

Echoes
Any colour you like
Pigs
Time
Comfortably numb
Wish you were here

In order:
1. Speak to Me/Breathe
2. Dogs
3. Time
4. Any Colour You Like
5. Comfortably Numb
6. The Trial
7. Atom Heart Mother: Father's Shout/Breast Milky/Mother Fore/Funky Dung
8. Learning to Fly
9. Brain Damage
10. Eclipse

Oddly enough I haven't tripped to Pink Floyd yet. I've tripped to Parliament-Funkadelic before. Boy was that ever an experience. Best hours of my life. I was listening to Aquemini as the shrooms were kickin in then changed it to P-Funk as I was trippin. Could barely read the songs on my iPod but somehow I managed :P

Longbongcilvaringz
10-11-2009, 07:45 AM
^ Props on including Learning to Fly, don't let the haters bring you down.

And in that vein, my 80 minute list probably contains a number of 'cringe worthy' selections, as Noel aptly put it.

1. Pigs (Three Different Ones)
2. Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)
3. Fearless
4. Any Colour You Like
5. A New Machine (Part 1)
6. Comfortably Numb
7. Lucifer Sam
8. Careful With That Axe, Eugene
9. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI-IX)
10. Echoes

I included A New Machine as a cringe worthy introduction to Comfortably Numb.

oDoUoSoKo
10-11-2009, 11:46 AM
ill do a list later...its probably gonna be 160 minutes..eloels.

JerseyIronman
10-11-2009, 02:40 PM
i just downloaded Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother and am listening to them for the 1st time.

crazy stuff.

noel411
10-12-2009, 07:36 PM
And in that vein, my 80 minute list probably contains a number of 'cringe worthy' selections, as Noel aptly put it.

1. Pigs (Three Different Ones)
2. Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)
3. Fearless
4. Any Colour You Like
5. A New Machine (Part 1)
6. Comfortably Numb
7. Lucifer Sam
8. Careful With That Axe, Eugene
9. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI-IX)
10. Echoes

I included A New Machine as a cringe worthy introduction to Comfortably Numb.
lolz. It probably wouldn't sound so bad leading into that track. Good to see Fearless get a mention. That's one of my I guess pretty unlikely all time faves.

Not sure how close this would be to 80 mins but I'd go something like this.

Fearless
Time
Us and Them
Brain Damage
Eclipse
Shine On...
Wish You Were Here
Dogs
Pigs
Hey You
Comfortably Numb

No fucking way that'd fit on an 80 minute cd. It's hard because a lot of their best songs are so long. I think if I was gonna make a mix cd I'd probably leave all the Dark Side... tracks off it, because the album as a whole is so brilliantly structured and flows from track to track so well.

Have you motherfuckers seen the Live In Pompei dvd? I dl'ed it the other day. It was fucken awesome. Also dl'ed a The Wall Live video from 1980. That was cool too but the picture was pretty shit.

JerseyIronman
10-12-2009, 09:47 PM

Echoes
Any colour you like
Pigs
Time
Comfortably numb
Wish you were here

great question and I really approve of your list.

especially how you have "Any Colour You Like". i think that track is fucking awesome and is so underrated as just a "segway" to "Brain damage".

I think id also have to have "Shine on" "Comfortably numb" and "Wish you were here" and a track from animals although im not sure which.

Longbongcilvaringz
10-12-2009, 09:53 PM
lolz. It probably wouldn't sound so bad leading into that track. Good to see Fearless get a mention. That's one of my I guess pretty unlikely all time faves.

Not sure how close this would be to 80 mins but I'd go something like this.

Fearless
Time
Us and Them
Brain Damage
Eclipse
Shine On...
Wish You Were Here
Dogs
Pigs
Hey You
Comfortably Numb

No fucking way that'd fit on an 80 minute cd. It's hard because a lot of their best songs are so long. I think if I was gonna make a mix cd I'd probably leave all the Dark Side... tracks off it, because the album as a whole is so brilliantly structured and flows from track to track so well.

Have you motherfuckers seen the Live In Pompei dvd? I dl'ed it the other day. It was fucken awesome. Also dl'ed a The Wall Live video from 1980. That was cool too but the picture was pretty shit.

Yeah Fearless is the shit, on the back of that and Echoes, Meddle always needs to be in my top 5.

It's also hard to realistically break up Floyd albums to make a mixtape. Their best albums all share the quality of being better as a single piece than a collection of tracks.

I might check for that DVD when i'm out today actually, i've seen a lot of later performances available (Pulse etc.) but can't really be bothered with them.

great question and I really approve of your list.

especially how you have "Any Colour You Like". i think that track is fucking awesome and is so underrated as just a "segway" to "Brain damage".

I think id also have to have "Shine on" "Comfortably numb" and "Wish you were here" and a track from animals although im not sure which.

Any Colour You Like has some fonk to it, as the best Floyd does.

5hundred&one
10-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Astronomy Domine 4:12
Lucifer Sam 3:07
One of These Days 5:56
The Great Gig in the Sky 4:44
Us and Them 7:40
Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Pts. 1-5 13:40
Have a Cigar 5:08
Pigs on the Wing, Pt. 1 1:25
Sheep 10:20
Pigs on the Wing, Pt. 2 1:25
Goodbye Blue Sky 2:48
Hey You 4:42
In the Flesh 4:17
Run Like Hell 4:24
The Trial 5:20

Pretty cool that I wasn't keeping track while I compiled the list and after I finished I went and looked at all the song times, calculated them and I happened to get it at 79 minutes first try.

haha

djskillz
10-13-2009, 03:05 AM
The Live in Pompeii vid is awesome. Got it on DVD.

oDoUoSoKo
10-13-2009, 09:00 PM
ya, Echoes came out great^^

5hundred&one
10-13-2009, 09:57 PM
live @ pompeii is great, the Wall live is pretty good too.

I had a bootleg copy off of ebay years ago that I used to watch religiously. I'm fiendin for quality recordings from the Animals tour & the Wall tour. It's hard to believe that it's so scarce.

noel411
10-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Yeah Fearless is the shit, on the back of that and Echoes, Meddle always needs to be in my top 5.

It's also hard to realistically break up Floyd albums to make a mixtape. Their best albums all share the quality of being better as a single piece than a collection of tracks.

I might check for that DVD when i'm out today actually, i've seen a lot of later performances available (Pulse etc.) but can't really be bothered with them.

Any Colour You Like has some fonk to it, as the best Floyd does.
Yeah yo word. I was listening to Meddle just yesterday and it struck me what an awesome album it is. I love the Floyd's sound on this album. Probably the only thing that separates it from DSOTM, WYWH and Animals, for me, is that it's got some not so great moments. Those being San Tropez, which is a cool song but not exactly amazing, and Seamus, which is appropriately very short but might have just been left off the album altogether.

Word on the albums thing too. I never have and probably never will make a Floyd mix. Their albums were made to be listened to as albums, and I find the tracks much more satisfying when listened to as a part of the whole. If I ever made a Floyd mix I'd probably just leave everything from my top 5 albums off it, and make a mix of the best tracks from their lesser albums.

I haven't checked out the Pulse or Delicate Sound of Thunder dvd's either, or any other later ones. I will eventually, but I wanted to see them performing in their prime, and with Waters still in the band. That's why I dl'ed the performances I did. As has been confirmed by several other posters, the Pompeii one is fucken awesome.

Longbongcilvaringz
10-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah, i'll definitely have to get it.

As you said, Meddle does have that lull which just brings it down below the other great PF albums.

5hundred&one
10-14-2009, 10:29 AM
I haven't checked out the Pulse or Delicate Sound of Thunder dvd's either, or any other later ones. I will eventually, but I wanted to see them performing in their prime, and with Waters still in the band. That's why I dl'ed the performances I did. As has been confirmed by several other posters, the Pompeii one is fucken awesome.

I know what you mean, but the 'Pulse' DVD is really good, even it doesn't have Roger on it. The same can be said of 'In The Flesh', the live Roger Waters DVD. He does a lot of great songs on it and he has a really amazing band backing him. You should check out both of them.

oDoUoSoKo
10-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Pulse is ok

5hundred&one
10-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Pink Floyd, in any incarnation, playing Dark Side of the Moon in it's entirety, to me is more that just ok, but it's whatever.

Live @ Pompeii is still the best live product that's widely available though.

BEATSMITH RESIST
10-15-2009, 01:51 AM
Yo all u pink floyd heads come to http://www.myspace.com/doperecordselektaz
& see if u can name that sample (names of course ruin it but peep em still!)

In no particular order... Dark SIde, Animals, meddle, wall & Wish u were here

beautifulrock
10-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Darkside
Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Wall
Animals
Wish you Were Here

beautifulrock
10-15-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm not one to give qualifiers, but I do love Meddle, Saucerful of secrets, and Piper at the gates of dawn as well, it's just that 70's time period after these albums was when they really came into their own and polished everything perfectly. Example, is there any better album than Darkside in history? Not really. No disrespect to Syd Barret.

Longbongcilvaringz
10-15-2009, 08:20 AM
Wish You Were Here.

djskillz
10-15-2009, 08:30 AM
^Dope song in your sig btw.

Yo all u pink floyd heads come to http://www.myspace.com/doperecordselektaz
& see if u can name that sample (names of course ruin it but peep em still!)

In no particular order... Dark SIde, Animals, meddle, wall & Wish u were here

Great Gig In the Sky

noel411
10-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I know what you mean, but the 'Pulse' DVD is really good, even it doesn't have Roger on it. The same can be said of 'In The Flesh', the live Roger Waters DVD. He does a lot of great songs on it and he has a really amazing band backing him. You should check out both of them.
Yeah I've got them all on cd. The other Waters one and the fairly recent Gilmour one too. I just haven't checked out the dvd's yet. But yeah, I definitely will before long. I was stoked to hear Waters do Dogs on In The Flesh. Another highlight of those cd's is Gilmour's guitar solo at the end of Comfortably Numb on the Live in Gdansk double cd. Also awesome to hear him do Echoes. When you put together all those live double cd's that the Floyd, Waters and Gilmour put out, and edit out all the uneccessary stuff, you get a pretty good range of tracks.

noel411
10-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Darkside
Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Wall
Animals
Wish you Were Here
Interesting.

I must say, I have been enjoying my edited versions of MLOR and DB on my fake Ipod lately. I have probably about half of each album. I think probably the worst thing about those albums is that there's quite a lot of long instrumental sections, or instrumental tracks, which is cool, it's very Floyd, but unfortunately unlike earlier Floyd they're just not interesting at all and pretty much just waste space. Most the actual songs are really pretty decent and enjoyable.

oDoUoSoKo
10-15-2009, 10:29 PM
yippee you cant see me, but i can you...

noel411
04-05-2010, 09:32 PM
So um I've completely changed my opinion of 'The Final Cut'. I fucken love it. It's a great album. I mean when you look at it as a follow up to an incredible run of brilliant albums, it's pretty bad. But if you look at it as an individual album, and pretty much a Roger Waters solo one at it, it's pretty damn good. There's some real quality on it. 'When the Tigers Broke Free', 'The Gunner's Dream', and 'The Final Cut' are all really exceptional tracks, especially lyrically. But the album as a whole is well above average. Actually very minimal dull moments at all now that I've become intimate with it. I'd have to put it at number 6 on my favourite Floyd albums list, after the 5 I listed in my initial post. 'Saucerful of Secrets' offers strong competition for that slot though.

snapple
04-06-2010, 09:10 AM
no love for the division bell?

had some really good songs on there.....

issues
04-12-2010, 03:06 AM
So um I've completely changed my opinion of 'The Final Cut'. I fucken love it. It's a great album. I mean when you look at it as a follow up to an incredible run of brilliant albums, it's pretty bad. But if you look at it as an individual album, and pretty much a Roger Waters solo one at it, it's pretty damn good. There's some real quality on it. 'When the Tigers Broke Free', 'The Gunner's Dream', and 'The Final Cut' are all really exceptional tracks, especially lyrically. But the album as a whole is well above average. Actually very minimal dull moments at all now that I've become intimate with it. I'd have to put it at number 6 on my favourite Floyd albums list, after the 5 I listed in my initial post. 'Saucerful of Secrets' offers strong competition for that slot though.

The Final Cut is underrated..