PDA

View Full Version : Galapagos Log

Robert
09-10-2009, 05:01 AM
As some of you may know (now that I think about it, hardly any of you know shit about this), I'm heading to the Galapagos Islands for 6 + months (after a short stop in Quito, Ecuador to sort out a visa).

I'll be doing marine based research as a volunteer for the Charles Darwin Foundation (www.darwinfoundation.org).

I figured (perhaps incorrectly), that it might be interesting to keep a record of the stuff I'm doing and the things I see over there on Wucorp.

I'm not sure how regularly I'll be able to update this over there but I'll try my hardest for my Wucorp comrades.

For those that don't know about the Islands, that CDF website is a good place to start.

Anyway, I don't leave till September 18th, so I suppose I can answer some questions for anyone that's interested. After that I'll be updating this with photos and stories from my travels (hopefully it's all reasonably interesting).

I'll be staying in Puerto Ayora on the Island, Santa Cruz:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/galapagos_map_100c.gif

My project is based on Floreana.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/stitched_002_galapagos.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/NAN3644.jpg

Uncle Steezo
09-10-2009, 05:53 AM
so what are you actually going to be doing?
whats the focus of the project and your particular involvement with it?

SID
09-10-2009, 06:06 AM
As some of you may know (now that I think about it, hardly any of you know shit about this), I'm heading to the Galapagos Islands for 6 + months (after a short stop in Quito, Ecuador to sort out a visa).

I'll be doing marine based research as a volunteer for the Charles Darwin Foundation (www.darwinfoundation.org).

I figured (perhaps incorrectly), that it might be interesting to keep a record of the stuff I'm doing and the things I see over there on Wucorp.

I'm not sure how regularly I'll be able to update this over there but I'll try my hardest for my Wucorp comrades.

For those that don't know about the Islands, that CDF website is a good place to start.

Anyway, I don't leave till September 18th, so I suppose I can answer some questions for anyone that's interested. After that I'll be updating this with photos and stories from my travels (hopefully it's all reasonably interesting).

Sounds fucking awesome. How did you get to do this? does the foundation fund the whole trip?

Slothy Fitzpatrick
09-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Make sure you take a trip to the Amazon Jungle to break bread with my relatives.

Yours,

Slothy Fitzpatrick.

Robert
09-10-2009, 07:04 AM
so what are you actually going to be doing?
whats the focus of the project and your particular involvement with it?

The project is basically all about the analysis of benthic fauna, predominately invertebrates. The CDF monitor and sample at 2 sites around Floreana approximately every 2 months.

It is part of a larger research project on benthic succession being carried out by a research fellow (yeah, that's a real term) at the University of Bremen in Germany.

Benthic succession more or less means changes to the make up (species' abundance and diversity) of a community, in this case, a benthic or "bottom dwelling" community.

My role in the field will be to collect the invertebrate species (which would include diving for them), identify them, and perform statistical analysis on the data that is collected.

In between, I'll be preparing materials for field trips, and performing statistical analysis. I've been told I'll be required to work on other projects also, but I'm not sure at this point what other projects I'll get.

Sounds fucking awesome. How did you get to do this? does the foundation fund the whole trip?

I sent applications to several different organisations. This was probably the most competitive. I got offered a position on mainland Ecuador which would have envolved working on coral reefs. I also got a similar offer from a group in Mexico.

I decided this was by far the best opportunity.

Unfortunately SID, they don't fund the trip at all. Despite this, I think the opportunity is well worth it.

Prince Rai
09-10-2009, 07:13 AM
This is amazing! Good luck Rob and definitely keep us updated!

SID
09-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Make the most of it, this will be some serious experience.

Heres your check list

* find a sloth and level with him.
* cultivate a orchid
* bring back several algae species
* live in a mud-hut with some sort of straw roof
* bang a galapegian traditional dancer next to a charles darwin statue, when your finished graf ob4cl2 on charles chest.
* make a campfire and tell your group about raekwons life story, leave out the lex diamonds period.

Robert
09-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Make the most of it, this will be some serious experience.

Heres your check list

* find a sloth and level with him.
* cultivate a orchid
* bring back several algae species
* live in a mud-hut with some sort of straw roof
* bang a galapegian traditional dancer next to a charles darwin statue, when your finished graf ob4cl2 on charles chest.
* make a campfire and tell your group about raekwons life story, leave out the lex diamonds period.

I think I can probably tick most of those boxes.

I could get kicked out of the archipelago for lighting a fire (illegal under the national park rules), so perhaps I'll tell that story at another time.

Shogah
09-10-2009, 08:45 AM

Die you lucky bastard! :)

Robert
09-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Die you lucky bastard! :)

Haha! Don't jinx me, I'm spending a week in Quito before I get to Galapagos to sort out my visa (which couldn't happen over here because the people at the consulate are imbeciles).

The travel advice from the Australian department of immigration for Ecuador makes interesting reading.

"We advise you to exercise caution and monitor developments that might affect your safety in Ecuador because of the risk of crime, civil unrest and the general threat of domestic terrorism"

My old man thinks I might be taken hostage or something.

Robert
09-10-2009, 01:24 PM
The Charles Darwin Foundation

CDF Galápagos is an international, non-profit organization, established in 1959 under the auspices of UNESCO, and registered in Belgium. In 1964, protected by an agreement with the government of Ecuador, the Charles Darwin Foundation established the Scientific Research Station (the place I'll be staying) in Puerto Ayora, on Santa Cruz Island with the purpose of providing the Ecuadorian Government with scientific advice on the conservation of Galápagos. The main offices are in Puerto Ayora, and the Foundation also has representatives in San Cristobal and Isabela.

The Foundation’s principal strategic partner is the Galápagos National Park Service, the government administration service for the Galápagos National Park (PNG) and the Galápagos Marine Reserve (RMG), both established with the support of the CDF.

The Foundation also works in conjunction with key Galápagos institutions, including the National Galápagos Authority (INGALA), the Ecuadorian Agricultural Service. (SESA), the Galápagos Quarantine and Inspection Service (SICGAL), the local municipalities and local government.

Peace be with you.

Ghost In The 'Lac
09-10-2009, 02:19 PM
these volunteer things are fucking expensive man, but i'd say its worth it for the galapogas. I looked into a marine one in costa rica with duh manatees, but they were charging like $4,000 for like 2 or 3 months. I went travelling for a year instead.

Ghost In The 'Lac
09-10-2009, 02:22 PM
oh yeah i heard the amount of eco tourism on those islands is actually now a big talking point because it might be actually killing the environs there. their talking about stopping the tourism for a while. but its big big business so they probably wont.

Wu-Tang Forum Internet Poster
09-10-2009, 06:59 PM
I'd like to check out your Galapagos Log(no homo)

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-10-2009, 07:15 PM
this sounds interesting, robert
keep us up to date on the galapagos expedition

and lots of pics, man...i saw a special on the islands and it looks beautiful, and the biodiversity is unparalleled...so pics of flora and fauna are a must.

Ghost In The 'Lac
09-10-2009, 07:18 PM
__IYyxJRPwk

KaramelSundae
09-10-2009, 07:30 PM
i'm so jealous!

Blackula Spectacula
09-10-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm kind of jealous of you Robert. and by kind of I mean extremely. Bastid

Robert
09-11-2009, 12:51 AM
these volunteer things are fucking expensive man, but i'd say its worth it for the galapogas. I looked into a marine one in costa rica with duh manatees, but they were charging like $4,000 for like 2 or 3 months. I went travelling for a year instead.

They certainly can be. Some organisations take advantage of their volunteers. This isn't too bad really. About 50 USD a week to stay at the research centre in shared accomodation and apartments in town won't be much more apparently.

oh yeah i heard the amount of eco tourism on those islands is actually now a big talking point because it might be actually killing the environs there. their talking about stopping the tourism for a while. but its big big business so they probably wont.

It's definitely becoming a significant issue. About 100,000 tourists pass through there every year. It's a tricky situation.

Robert
09-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Had an extremely messy going away celebration with my friends. Hooked up with a girl who we discovered later was engaged. That was one event in a series of horrible/amusing/drunken events that occurred on that evening.

Leaving for Quito in a couple of days, just sorting out the final details.

Looks like I'll have a weekend to myself over there before I have to go in to sort out my visa and then a week waiting around for that.

In that time I intend to:

Go to Guayllabamba Zoo.

Check out the night life.

Check out the women.

Avoid getting robbed.

Do some general exploring in the city (plenty of cool places to go).

Find a Sloth sanctuary.

Unfortunately, the final thing on my list might have to wait for 6 months as the closest sloth sanctuary is in Costa Rica (there is one being set up in Ecuador).

No matter what, at some stage I will break bread with Slothy's cousins.

Any suggestions from those in the know about places to go in Ecuador are welcomed.

Robert
09-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Well,

I arrived in Quito (Ecuador's capital) last night. Shit is crazy. I'm currently situated in a pretty dodgy area (The Mariscal Sucre). Everything is very different (not surprisingly) and not knowing Spanish is fucking annoying.

But yeah, this place is pretty fucking insane. It's right in the Andes. You can see the mountains just walking along the street. You notice the fact your a long way above the ocean, that's for sure. Don't think I'll be doing lots of hiking this week at any rate.

Walking to the net cafe today a little girl chased me, insisting that I buy some lollies off her. Poverty is real here, infact, shit is real in general. Far more real than the suburb of Bridgeport.

I'll get some photos up as soon as I have some interesting ones.

No entiendo. Yo no hablo mucho espanyol.

ALCATRAZ
09-19-2009, 03:35 PM
I'd like to check out your Galapagos Log(no homo)
lol

TSA
09-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Well,

I arrived in Quito (Ecuador's capital) last night. Shit is crazy. I'm currently situated in a pretty dodgy area (The Mariscal Sucre). Everything is very different (not surprisingly) and not knowing Spanish is fucking annoying.

But yeah, this place is pretty fucking insane. It's right in the Andes. You can see the mountains just walking along the street. You notice the fact your a long way above the ocean, that's for sure. Don't think I'll be doing lots of hiking this week at any rate.

Walking to the net cafe today a little girl chased me, insisting that I buy some lollies off her. Poverty is real here, infact, shit is real in general. Far more real than the suburb of Bridgeport.

I'll get some photos up as soon as I have some interesting ones.

No entiendo. Yo no hablo mucho espanyol.

HAHAHahah!
im sure you'll have a blast, id love to travel but im broke as eggs.
Pictures are crucial.
my advice is you beat your dick, one.

SLURMS HOTEMP

Uncle Steezo
09-20-2009, 04:37 AM
not knowing Spanish is fucking annoying.
learn that shit. not knowing that shit will get you killed.
http://images.blu-ray.com/reviews/266_1.jpg

Robert
09-30-2009, 02:52 PM
A small update (no photos till I get to Galapagos because of the shit net cafe):

I'm Quito till the end of the week (while I wait for residency on Galapagos). I've discovered I have an unhealthy love for plantains and empanadas.

I'm now staying in a house with a woman from the hotel (in one of her kid's bedrooms). For some reason, it seems middle class Quitenos like to adopt Western names like Grace, Rachel and Matthew (yeah, I just picked those out at random).

2 days ago I saw some guy who had been stabbed in the arm, chasing his assailants through a park. That happened at lunch time in the middle of the city. There is no such thing as a hood here because the whole country is a ghetto (to quote begongo).

I also found out I wasn't the whitest person in South America a few days ago when I encountered a small pack of people who I presume were English. The reflections coming off their faces were blinding.

Aside from that, I've done a bunch of touristy things. I'd prefer to be somewhere in the Amazon right now, frollicking with three-toed sloths.

Quito is great though, but everyone is out to make a buck and some change off tourists (unsurprisingly). Good on them.

SHEM HETEP.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-30-2009, 02:59 PM
For some reason, it seems middle class Quitenos like to adopt Western names like Grace, Rachel and Matthew (yeah, I just picked those out at random).

I also found out I wasn't the whitest person in South America a few days ago when I encountered a small pack of people who I presume were English. The reflections coming off their faces were blinding.

hahahahahahaha

when do you make it to galapagos?

Robert
09-30-2009, 03:09 PM
hahahahahahaha

when do you make it to galapagos?

On Monday supposedly, although I haven't heard back from them yet.

Everything takes a while to happen over here.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-30-2009, 03:17 PM
^^^would you blame the darwin foundation's bureacracy or sheisty third-worlders?
any hookers or drugs?
or hookers and drugs?

09-30-2009, 04:13 PM
I know you're not supposed to, as an envionmentalist and scholar of the earth, but if you see a white-faced monkey, punch it in the face for me and tell it "Dan says you're a fag."

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-30-2009, 06:40 PM
^^^then slit it's throat, pee on the corpse and say "kev says you're an abomination against nature"

fucking white faced monkeys
who knew yacub grafted primates?

09-30-2009, 07:31 PM
ahahahahah. Fuckin yakub

Robert
10-01-2009, 01:18 PM
@ Pandemic: I forgot to mention, I went up to this statue of the virgen mary, situated on top of a big hill, overlooking the city. I could see condors flying overhead and the whole time I was there "Learning To Fly" was playing constantly in my head.

Condition grounded but determined to try.

Robert
10-01-2009, 01:31 PM
^^^would you blame the darwin foundation's bureacracy or sheisty third-worlders?

sheisty third-world. Everything here takes a while to do.

any hookers or drugs?
Or hookers and drugs?

no to both at this point. I've been out once with a bunch of 30 year old ecuadorians who couldn't speak english.

shem hotep.

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-01-2009, 01:32 PM
^^^lol
i'm glad you were able to 'escape her grass' lol

edit: do not let them con you and good luck on finding hookers, weed, or both.

the silencer
10-01-2009, 04:06 PM
A small update (no photos till I get to Galapagos because of the shit net cafe):

I'm Quito till the end of the week (while I wait for residency on Galapagos). I've discovered I have an unhealthy love for plantains and empanadas.

I'm now staying in a house with a woman from the hotel (in one of her kid's bedrooms). For some reason, it seems middle class Quitenos like to adopt Western names like Grace, Rachel and Matthew (yeah, I just picked those out at random).

2 days ago I saw some guy who had been stabbed in the arm, chasing his assailants through a park. That happened at lunch time in the middle of the city. There is no such thing as a hood here because the whole country is a ghetto (to quote begongo).

Aside from that, I've done a bunch of touristy things. I'd prefer to be somewhere in the Amazon right now, frollicking with three-toed sloths.

Quito is great though, but everyone is out to make a buck and some change off tourists (unsurprisingly). Good on them.

SHEM HETEP.
damn, my girl is in Quito for the next two weeks with her mom.. i hope it ain't THAT fuckin dangerous..

Robert
10-02-2009, 12:02 PM
damn, my girl is in Quito for the next two weeks with her mom.. i hope it ain't THAT fuckin dangerous..

Haha!

It's pretty much ok during the day in the main part of the city, there are just some places you would never go at night, particularly if you aren't a local.

Ghost In The 'Lac
10-02-2009, 12:20 PM
yo watch out for the giant ground sloths

http://www.vmnh.net/photos/large/HOLIDAYSLOTH07.jpg

Robert
10-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I'll be seeking out some sloths as soon as my volunteer work is over. No question. Sloth sanctuary in Costa Rica here we come.

SHEM HETEP.

Robert
10-08-2009, 08:07 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0292.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0305.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0287.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0317.jpg

SHEM HETEP.

Blackula Spectacula
10-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Nice!

Senator C. Palantine
10-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Robert, you're the fucking man, man.

Robert
10-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks man, man. You know there's a resident orphaned seal here that chills with the fisherman when they fillet their fish.

SHEM HETEP.

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-08-2009, 08:31 PM
nice picture, that first one in particular is great.

what the hell's going on the bottom one?

what's the status? details puhleauhs.

Senator C. Palantine
10-08-2009, 08:31 PM
of, fo' real doe?

ive got to get travelling again. america/canada starting in April.

Robert
10-08-2009, 08:33 PM
nice picture, that first one in particular is great.

what the hell's going on the bottom one?

what's the status? details puhleauhs.

That seal is straight loungin' on the dock (from what he told me, he was sun baking). There's a little marine iguana there also.

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-08-2009, 08:33 PM
fuhrealdoe riveira

Robert
10-31-2009, 09:00 AM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0354.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0381.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0382.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0333.jpg

SHEM HETEP.

Robert
10-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Small update:

Went diving here for the first time around an Island called Santa Fé. Pretty much incredible. Saw White Tipped Reef Sharks, Eagle Rays, a large school of Barracuda, Green Sea Turtles, and Sea Lion pups (they come right up to you).

Think I'll be doing as much diving as is possible while I'm here.

The island itself was nuts. There was a Sea Lion colony on the beach and numerous Blue Footed Boobies hunting for fish.

Probably starting my own project next on Sea Urchin settlement (probably not a fascinating topic for most people) so we'll see how that goes.

SHEM HETEP.

SID
10-31-2009, 10:37 AM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0354.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0381.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0382.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0333.jpg

SHEM HETEP.

wow.

Fucking hell man your in a nice life position right about now son, any luck with the galapegian honeys? I want pics, preferably messy ones.

Uncle Steezo
10-31-2009, 10:44 AM
yup yup.

dope.

Robert
10-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Tortuga Bay
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0386.jpg

Close to where we were diving.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0401.jpg

Santa Fé
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0403.jpg

Holla
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0397.jpg

SHERMAN HOETURPS.

Robert
01-09-2010, 08:43 PM
I will update this better when I have some more time.

Had a busy time of late. Fucked a Galapagueña who decided within a week that she wanted to marry me. This didn't fit so well with my own plans and unfortunately she works fulltime at one of the two bars in Puerto Ayora. I had a slight fear that she was going to take samples of my blood and sperm while I was sleeping.

I went on a tour of the Northern and Southern Islands which was amazing, if not a little touristy.

I've been diving many times. I have seen Manta Rays, Hammerheads, and Galápagos Sharks at close quarters, which is both an intimidating and incredible experience.

I also got the opportunity the dive with one of the research teams here at one of thier sample sites, and I've helped out with a researcher who is catching and tagging juvenile sharks in the mangrove areas of Santa Cruz.

He aprendido muchas cosas en español pero todavia tengo muchas cosas aprender.

SHEM HETEP.

Robert
01-09-2010, 08:50 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0853.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0910.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0954.jpg

SHEM HETEP.

Uncle Steezo
01-09-2010, 08:52 PM
nice.
keepin it poppin.

so you playin shark police now?
pattin down tha young latino fish an enterin em in the system?

KaramelSundae
01-09-2010, 09:12 PM
lucky bastard.

TSA
01-10-2010, 04:21 AM
nice.
keepin it poppin.

so you playin shark police now?
pattin down tha young latino fish an enterin em in the system?
AHAHHHAHAHAahahahhAHAhaAHAHAHah
ahaAAAHAhahAAHahAHaAHHAAHah
ahahAHHahaAAHAHhahahahahahhaAHAHAa
aaHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

ANY ONE ELSE READ THAT SHIT?!

Uncle Steezo
01-10-2010, 10:57 AM
OUCH. BIG fonts.
you WIN again derek.
you ALWAYS win.
on wucorp

anyway...
Robert,
What have you learned since you been there?

Olive Oil Goombah
01-10-2010, 12:41 PM
nice work Roberto......mama sanzogni would be proud

BGS
01-10-2010, 12:57 PM
lucky motherfucker you are

ALCATRAZ
01-10-2010, 01:10 PM
cool thread

narc
01-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Robert you lucky cunt :P

Robert
01-11-2010, 07:49 AM
What have you learned since you been there?

Good question.

I've probably learnt more things about the administration and complexities of managing a marine reserve in a developing country then actual science.

My personal project on sea urchin settlement has not gone anywhere, principally because I have been unable to capture any larval settlers. As a volunteer here, you are really limited in what you do, because the foundation gets so little funding.

I've learnt a reasonable amount of Spanish but there is still alot of work to do. That's probably the most important thing to me at the moment.

SHEM HETEP.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-11-2010, 07:58 AM
I read about a foreign species of extra large tropical urchin invading the Galapagos islands? They say it orginates over near Puerto Rico and is causing havoc with the native animal by eating all their food. Its basically a parasite urchin.

Have you heard about it? It attaches it self to walls and such like.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb165/skampoe/DSC00002-1.jpg

Robert
01-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Thankfully we don't have any of those, but I've heard they can be a real problem (lyrically).

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0876.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0951.jpg

Blackula Spectacula
01-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Hey Robert. hope you had a good time these past holidays. Happy new yr to you.

Robert
01-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Cheers Diana and HNY to you. I had a great time. Como te va? What's going on in the world of Blackula?

SHEM HETEP.

Blackula Spectacula
01-11-2010, 07:25 PM
todo bien. I'm a bit sick today :(

Robert
01-15-2010, 04:58 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0861.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0927.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0900.jpg

Also, I was just present at a talk about how non-breeding individuals of the Nazca Booby, attack and have sex with 20 day old nestlings of the same species. They are sexual predators of the bird world apparently.

SHEM HETEP.

Robert
02-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Smallish update (photos later)

I have a lot of work to do at the moment.

Tomorrow, I am off the Espanola and Floreana for 3 days as part of the Ecological Monitoring program at the Foundation. We are going to 9 marine sites, and diving at each site. I'm doing macroinvertebrate surveys along the transects which is something I've never done before.

At each site we need to complete two 50m transects (one at 6m depth and one at 15m) which is a fair amount of work for one hour (the other divers will do a fish survey, sessile invertebrates survey, and take some quadrat photos).

The next trip will be to Fernandina/Isabela then Darwin and Wolf, so essentially the locations where you can see Whale Sharks, Sunfish, Dolphins, Mantas, massive schools of Hammerheads, whales etc. Unfortunately, it's highly unlikely I'll get the chance to go there, but we shall see.

If anyone has questions about the islands I'd be more then happy to try and answer them.

SHEM HETEP.

Robert
02-02-2010, 01:49 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/P1060236.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/P1060243.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/P1060260.jpg

Robert
02-02-2010, 02:11 PM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/M0011445.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/M0011446.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/M0011483.jpg

Robert
02-07-2010, 10:45 AM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/14240_192772881315_706101315_357-1.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/14240_212055741315_706101315_364-1.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/19746_226371191315_706101315_371-2.jpg

Robert
02-11-2010, 10:35 AM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/19746_239909231315_706101315_378797.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/19746_226380711315_706101315_371678.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/14240_209281626315_706101315_363765.jpg

TSA
02-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Sh3mt herepped!

Robert
02-11-2010, 11:07 AM
iD3QalduQ9Y

There is a small chance that I will go to Darwin and Wolf to dive as part of a shark tagging study. I have my fingers crossed right now, these are some of the best dive sites in the world.

SHEM HETEP.

Blackula Spectacula
02-11-2010, 12:04 PM
I am so fucking jealous of you!

Olive Oil Goombah
02-11-2010, 12:06 PM
yea, well he is doing work, all you want to do is party dammit

Blackula Spectacula
02-11-2010, 12:08 PM
that would be the best job in world .. and I'm sure Robert parties a little.

BGS
02-11-2010, 01:37 PM
cool pictures!!!

Robert
02-12-2010, 05:37 PM
I am so fucking jealous of you!

yea, well he is doing work, all you want to do is party dammit

that would be the best job in world .. and I'm sure Robert parties a little.

Of course, just a little. We are in the middle of "Carnival" over here, or the Galapagos version at least. It's currently pissing down with rain and extremely humid.

I think a beer is in order soon.

KaramelSundae
02-13-2010, 12:26 AM
beautiful pics.

SID
02-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Have you had any exotic romances with any hot galapegian traditional dancers yet?

EAGLE EYE
02-13-2010, 09:45 AM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/IMG_0927.jpg

SHEM HETEP.

We used to play golf together

Robert
02-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Have you had any exotic romances with any hot galapegian traditional dancers yet?

Yes, a complete psycho who thankfully is leaving the islands soon.

I have my eye on another young lady even though my housemate is infatuated with her.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Rob which cities in Ecuador have you visited and what are they like?

Robert
02-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Rob which cities in Ecuador have you visited and what are they like?

At this point I have only been in Quito as I was only on the continent for 2 weeks before coming to Galápagos. I have been to all the major towns in the achipelago but I don't think it's worth talking about those.

Quito is fantastic in some respects. The "Old Town" is pretty amazing, even better at night. The problem is, Quito isn't a particularly safe to be out at night alone, especially for a tourist. I think I will spend some time there when I finish here, as I know some people I can stay with.

Gauyaquil is terrible apparently. A volunteer told me he was robbed at gunpoint there during the day.

The Ecuadorians tell me I have to visit Ibarra, Cuenca, and Baños when I return to the mainland.

Are you thinking about coming to Ecuador?

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Yeah ive applied for some jobs there. I actually heard it was the 'safest' s.american country, but recently its been getting a bit worse (around the north and south borders I think).

I think you right about Guayaquil, my Rough Guide I just copped mentioned about it too.

Ive got a company trying to hook me up with a job in Manta, but i'm not sure about it,I was looking more at Quito.

Do they play a lot of football there?(soccer)

Are there many tourists out there? Or backpackers and stuff? What about the Ecuador woman, are they hot? lol

Robert
02-13-2010, 12:38 PM
yeah ive applied for some jobs there. I actually heard it was the 'safest' s.american country, but recently its been getting a bit worse (around the north and south borders i think).

i think in general, ecuador is safe. Quito is getting worse by all reports.

i think you right about guayaquil, my rough guide i just copped mentioned about it too.

yeah, don't go there.

ive got a company trying to hook me up with a job in manta, but i'm not sure about it,i was looking more at quito.

interesting. I suppose you speak spanish then?

do they play a lot of football there?(soccer)

claro. The live that shit. During the final days of the world cup qualifiers, everyone on galapagos was glued to the tv watching ecuador lose to chile and uruguay.

are there many tourists out there? Or backpackers and stuff? What about the ecuador woman, are they hot? Lol

plenty of backpackers i guess. You really stand out as a tourist in ecuador.

Ecuadorian women are diverse in appearance. With a number of different indigenous ethic groups, some women look asiatic, others white, others i have absolutely no idea where their origins lie. In short, yes, there are many attractive girls here.

shem hetep.

Robert
02-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Frigate Bird.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/19746_239869636315_706101315_378768.jpg

Weakling.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/19746_239806286315_706101315_378724.jpg

Papamosca.
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/20246_283184416315_706101315_395424.jpg

SHEM HETEP.

Lex Lugor
02-19-2010, 04:08 PM
it really took my internet seven minutes of dr. oz to load this reply page so i can congratulate you

you better enjoy it darnit

ALCATRAZ
02-19-2010, 04:12 PM
white man lifestyles

SHEM HOT TIPZ

Robert
02-19-2010, 04:22 PM
it really took my internet seven minutes of dr. oz to load this reply page so i can congratulate you

you better enjoy it darnit

Sorry mate, I'll post less photos.

Robert
02-19-2010, 04:25 PM
white man lifestyles

SHEM HOT TIPZ

Are you implying the Black man can't do such outlandish ish?

SHEM HETOOP.

Robert
02-23-2010, 03:15 PM
I will be away for the next 8 days. I am going here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernandina_Island

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/galapagos_ast_2003.jpg

Once again, I will be diving with the Ecological Monitoring team, performing macroinvertebrate surveys (I'm not sure if I mentioned that already). I can't believe my luck really.

This part of the achipelago is amazing (Punta Vicente Roca, The Bolivar Channel), and difficult to get to unless you go on an expensive cruise. Fernandina and Isabela are the youngest islands and they also have a great deal of volcanic activity. The waters there are cold and full of nutrients (Cromwell Current). They support a mass of marine life.

The penguin and flightless cormorant colonies exist in this part of the archipelago, and you are almost guaranteed of seeing these guys:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/MolaMolaandNienke-Small.jpg

This place is a scientists playground.

SHEM HOTEP.

SID
02-23-2010, 03:18 PM
How long are you there?

Do you get some form of qualification after the experience?

Robert
02-23-2010, 03:38 PM
How long are you there?

Do you get some form of qualification after the experience?

In total, 6 months, then I have another 2 months in the continent.

I am unsure what sort of qualification you have envisaged. You can do a Scientific Diver course, for example, but you lose the qualification unless you do a ridiculous number of scientific dives in a year.

The majority of the scientists here, are Dive Masters, something that I will eventually do.

If you are talking about general qualifications then no. I am not doing a thesis here. I get a certificate, proof that I have volunteered here and performed certain tasks. It's all unimportant to me though, because I have learnt a great many things.

Lex Lugor
02-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Sorry mate, I'll post less photos.

^no no no dont you dare, its only a fault of my internet service provider, and still as far as im concerned the more pics the better

anyway how long at a time do you stay under?
did you grow some sweet ass facial hair to fit the lifestyle?
how are you on the internet?

i have diarrhea for life no joke, lol, and somebody made the joke i might have drank from the wrong stream in the galapagos and im not quite sure what it means but yea, be safe out there

EAGLE EYE
02-23-2010, 04:08 PM
white man lifestyles

SHEM HOT TIPZ

Funny you say this considering you are Micronesian and your homeland is a remote island.

Robert
02-23-2010, 06:25 PM
^no no no dont you dare, its only a fault of my internet service provider, and still as far as im concerned the more pics the better

anyway how long at a time do you stay under?

during the macroinvertebrate surveys, between an 60 and 70 minutes. We survey three sites each day.

did you grow some sweet ass facial hair to fit the lifestyle?

not sure if the term "sweet ass" really defines my facial growth. My beard is a work in progress. Pictures will come later.

how are you on the internet?

because my work building has internet lol. I'll be disconnected for the next 8 days though.

i have diarrhea for life no joke, lol, and somebody made the joke i might have drank from the wrong stream in the galapagos and im not quite sure what it means but yea, be safe out there

cheers.

shem hotep.

Robert
03-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Punta Vicente Roca, the Northernmost point of Isabela
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/25428_340498591315_706101315_414462.jpg

Jacques Cousteau
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/25428_340546801315_706101315_414465.jpg

Fernandina
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/25428_340650096315_706101315_414484.jpg

Me, looking like a weasel, before the final dive of the last monitoring trip
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/25428_340709991315_706101315_414494.jpg

Flightless Cormorant
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m29/UmpireRandall/25428_340546806315_706101315_414465.jpg

SHEM HETEP.

Robert
03-10-2010, 07:27 PM
The Monitoring trip was crazy.

During the trip, I dived to 45m and suffered (it was actually rather pleasant) a bout of nitrogen narcossis, which is inevitable when you dive below 30m.

We saw Manta Rays 3m across, Mola molas, whales, seahorses, penguins, and flightless cormorants, to name a few. During one of the dives, there was an Orca in the area but we didn't see it. The people in the zodiacs told us about it later. It couldn't have been more than 30m metres away, in only 8m of water.

Probably the most insane thing that happened, occurred on the final day. We were finishing off the shallow water transect at a tourist site called Cousins Rocks. There were two divers, me and another guy, in more or less the same position along the transect line. This large (man size) male Sea Lion had been circling us for some time, which was unsettling, although at the time I didn't think too much of it. So, while I was recording the last part of my data, I was watching the other diver, who was facing the rock wall recording information from a quadrat. I then noticed the Sea Lion, about 4m above and 15m behind him in the water column. All of a sudden, it swam directly at him and bite down hard on his metal dive tank. There was an audible "ping" sound in the water. I think, after it had bitten metal, it was deterred and left us alone, but in reality, that guy is extremely fucking lucky he didn't get a head injury.

When he turned around after the attack he didn't even know what had happened. We got the fuck out of the water after that. It's ironic that we fear sharks so much when I have never hard a hint of a problem with them here, whereas, "cute" friendly Sea Lions are actually not so cute and not friendly at all.

SHEM HETEP.

Ghost In The 'Lac
03-10-2010, 07:40 PM
http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/usa/images-3/sea-lion-1.jpg

HAHAhahahahah nice story

http://img.myconfinedspace.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/i-am-monitoring-this-thread.jpg

Lex Lugor
03-11-2010, 12:31 PM
lol ah you basterd everytime i see you in duh tropics it reminds me what a piece of shit i am.. what you be eatin out there my negga?

SID
03-11-2010, 12:40 PM
I just applied for a 2 year VSO volunteering course, hope they except me.

Robert
03-11-2010, 02:15 PM
lol ah you basterd everytime i see you in duh tropics it reminds me what a piece of shit i am.. what you be eatin out there my negga?

Rice, and an aweful lot of it.

Actually, the food on the islands is not so good aside from the seafood. There are delicious ceviches, encebollados, marimotos, langosta/langostino a la plancha, generally with a healthy serve of patacones.

yonder
03-11-2010, 03:33 PM
I just applied for a 2 year VSO volunteering course, hope they except me.

"except"

sharpen your sword young wordsmith.

except... haha aren't you english?

SID
03-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Chill with the grammar police shit.

Robert
04-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Well, I have finally left the islands after 6 months of utter chaos. It has been an enriching experience for sure. I have gained a great deal of knowledge about my field and also picked up a lot of Spanish.

Now I have 2 months more in the continent to improve my Spanish and see the sites.

SHEM HETEP.

diggy
12-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Deep sea divin
and divin deep in vagina
and eatin seafood

Soul Controller
12-16-2012, 06:03 AM

I'll be doing marine based research as a volunteer for the Charles Darwin Foundation (www.darwinfoundation.org (http://www.darwinfoundation.org)).

i misssed this.. sick shit.. that would be a dream for me..

how was it robert?

any chance of pics?

hashashin
12-16-2012, 06:53 AM
This thread before my time but the Galapagos Islands do look like an amazing place to visit, there's a David Attenborough documentary about them starting tomorrow