PDA

View Full Version : Over Produced?

Po1ites91
09-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Can someone explain to me how a beat can be over produced?

GSTYLE
09-17-2009, 12:49 PM
when it has too much goin on, too many sounds, too many layers etc. sometimes less is more so a beat has more impact

angry!
09-17-2009, 04:32 PM
when shit is cluttered...

matter fact, enter this name into the youtube search database "el-p"

thats a PERFECT example of overproducing a track!!!!

benzo
09-18-2009, 09:18 AM
^^what they said but sometimes can also be used to describe the overall sound of the mix. kinda how 36 Chambers is "underproduced" (in a great way) as far as the basement sound but the opposite. too much EQ, etc etc cam make the mix sound too shiny, glossy, whatever...

Ghost In The 'Lac
09-18-2009, 09:30 AM
less is more.

Prolifical ENG
09-18-2009, 10:53 AM
Sometimes a beat with many layers can work quite well but its a very difficult thing to do. Its like making a very complicated billiards shot and sinking 4 balls. If you miss that shot by a fraction it will look ugly.

hansei
09-18-2009, 11:22 AM
less is more.

this.

Edgar Erebus
09-18-2009, 02:47 PM
less is more.

this.

LpocrqvP2Yg

This.

On topic, there are quite a few producers that have a penchant for overproducing their stuff. Even some of the greatest, like Pete Rock or Kanye, so an overproduced track isn't automatically bad.

Edgar Erebus
09-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Sometimes a beat with many layers can work quite well but its a very difficult thing to do. Its like making a very complicated billiards shot and sinking 4 balls. If you miss that shot by a fraction it will look ugly.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

oQxBuFgxhFM

Ghost In The 'Lac
09-18-2009, 03:15 PM
slimey T, i like how you posted that Soulja Boy beat as an example of simplcity, that song has 60 millions of views on youtube, that beat has flava, and theres barely anything to it.

that beat is skeletal. but look how got everyones attention. everyone was feeling that shit. for a reason. you fill int he gaps in your mind. that beat has a clear ryhthem to it, its a pop version of being simple.

i know you tried to derail it, but in the end you made the point for me.

And no, Pete or Kanye rarely woul over produce, they are both well known for being very simple, Kanye often just straight loops, and Soul Survivor is prime example of simple sp beats, so isk what your talking about.

Edgar Erebus
09-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Village People had the whole world dancing and are still wack, so what's your point?

And yes, Pete or Kanye would often overproduce their beats, the beat that I posted and College Dropout are prime examples of their expansive beats, so IDK what you're saying.