PDA

View Full Version : BodyBags Sent To Canadian Reserve

diggy
09-18-2009, 01:40 AM
Canada to probe body bags in flu kits

Health officials ordered an investigation on Thursday into why the Canadian government sent body bags to an Aboriginal reserve in Manitoba after community leaders requested assistance to deal with an expected outbreak of swine flu.

The body bags were sent this week to a remote northern reserve that was hard hit by swine flu last spring. The bags were in a shipment of hand sanitisers and face masks.

Canadian Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq said she found the action by Health Canada insensitive and offensive.

"As minister of health and as an Aboriginal, I am offended," Aglukkaq said in a statement Thursday.

"To all who took offence at what occurred, I want to say that I share your concern and I pledge to get to the bottom of it."
Jim Wolfe, regional director with the First Nations and Inuit branch of Health Canada, said on Thursday that the bags were part of a shipment intended for reserves to use over the winter and were not linked exclusively to swine flu.

"We really regret the alarm this incident has caused and it was unintended," Wolfe said.

"We order these supplies as a matter of routine business and ... this was part of a very normal restocking process."

Some critics are demanding the health minister formally apologise for the shipment and have suggested the bags appear to be part of the federal government's plan to deal with a second wave of the flu.
Several grand chiefs have also criticised the federal government for not doing enough to prepare aboriginal communities for an expected resurgence of swine flu this autumn, leaving communities scrambling to raise funds for basic supplies.

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff told reporters on Thursday that the body bags suggest the government has a grim prognosis for Aborigines.
"It sends a message, it simply says: 'We expect Aboriginal Canadians to die,"' he said.

Aglukkaq rejected that suggestion.
"Anyone suggesting that our government's solution to H1N1 is body bags is sensationalising this situation," the health minister said.

Uncle Steezo
09-18-2009, 02:29 AM
canada dont care about black people.

diggy
09-18-2009, 02:41 AM
http://www.okmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/23143.jpg