PDA

View Full Version : Robert Duvall, Jack Nicholson, Anthony Hopkins, Philip Seymour Hoffman > Deniro?

MAYOR QUIMBY
09-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Robert Deniro is my fav. actor of all time, easily one of the GOAT.

But really, all those other actors i mentioned in the title deserve as much or even MORE praise, the only difference is that they havent starred in as many classic and noticeable movies as Deniro. Most people on Wu Corp are more familiar with Deniro than the others mentioned because of the gangster flicks and he's a guy you grew up with.

With Deniro, he really gets into character and amazes me every time, but it seems as though actors such as Duvall and Nicholson are such amazing actors that it looks as if they arent even acting. They don't even need to try, especially in their more recent films.

Oh and I know i'll get heat for Philip Seymour but its because the majority of his movies are garbage, but that muther fucker CAN ACT, baby! People associate a person's acting ability with the movie they are in. For instance, when i fisrt saw Napoleon Dynamite i thought it was a terrible film, but i could still acknowledge that the main character was an amazing actor! I actually thought he was a retard in real life.

Do i make sense or do i need a cock in my mouth to shut the fuck up?

The Hound
09-23-2009, 02:50 AM
Nicholson and Hopkins get their fair share of praise. De Niro is a cut above.

:chef:

TAURO
09-23-2009, 06:59 AM
Well Robert Duvall was in Godfather 2, as great an actor as he is, his performance couldn't hold a candle to de niro's.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-23-2009, 07:20 AM
How are most of Philip Seymour Hoffman's films terrible?

Anyway, i think all those mentioned don't really have the same range as De Niro, but they're all still great.

And as you said De Niro has been in better films, and more of them.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-23-2009, 07:32 AM
philip seymour hoffman has displayed a greater range and versatility than anyone else on the list, with the possible exception of robert duvall. just watch boogie nights, talented mr ripley, and capote and you'll see his ridiculous range. duvall gets underrated because his performances are subtle, they are not bombastic like deniro, nicholson, pacino...but he does great work with accents and mannerisms.

granted, i find nicholson's on screen persona tremendously entertaining, he's been working permutations of the same angle since 'one flew over the cuckoo's nest'. it's a great angle though, sociopath seething with barely surpressed rage, but there's really little distinction between 'shining', 'batman', and 'as good as it gets' for example.

hopkins also doesn't really get an oppurtunity to display great range, he seems to have been pigonholed as the urbane sophisticate, with a sardonic sense of humor and calm charm. deniro's body of work speaks for itself, he is really a great actor as far as conveying emotions through facial expressions and body language, but i'd put phillip seymour hoffman at the top of the list for overall ability to inhabit a character.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-23-2009, 07:45 AM
For me it comes down to the fact that Hoffman is less enjoyable to watch.

He is amazing in some roles, yet i never find him as commanding as De Niro.

And i think some people often underrate De Niro's versatility anyway.

Look at King of Comedy, Cape Fear, Jackie Brown, Raging Bull and Wag The Dog.

Maybe not entirely comparable to Hoffman, but none the less one of the most versatile actors.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-23-2009, 07:52 AM
^^those were good picks to display deniro's versatility (his performance in Cape Fear is deliriously entertaining (and he nailed a completely different accent and body language set), and Jackie Brown is one of the rare films where you get to see him underplaying a role); and you're abolutely right, he his incredible on screen prescence...hoffman may be less commanding, but he's a character actor, tends to play supporting roles, so the fact that he is less commanding and noticeable is indiciative of his chameleon-like qualities.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-23-2009, 07:52 AM
I'd also tentatively throw Nicholas Cage's name into the ring, although a lot of people won't react well to that.

He's been in a bunch of shitty movies i guess, but watching him in Bringing out the Dead, Adaptation or even Match Stick, he impresses.

Harvey Keitel would be the only other guy i would think to put in there.

I can't wait to see Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans, i just hope they don't fuck it up.

When i saw the original, at the time, it was one of the most confronting films i'd seen.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-23-2009, 08:08 AM
ya cage can be brilliant (his performance in Matchstick Men was superb) but he does have a string of commercialized garbage, probably outnumbering his quality films at this point.

Harvey Keitel is cool but kind of one dimensional to me, almost like a budget version of DeNiro...I see no huge differences in his performances between Bad Lieutenant, Clockers, and Reservoir Dogs. He is enjoyable to watch though, he has flair.

Why the hell are they making a sequel to Bad Lieutenant? What's the premise?

Longbongcilvaringz
09-23-2009, 12:19 PM
I don't even think it really is a sequel apart from in name and in that it's about a crooked cop.

Herzog is directing it and basically Cage plays a decorated cop who sustains a back injury, starts taking medication and things spiral downwards from there on in.

The trailer is out there on youtube somewhere.

I read somewhere that Abel Ferrara who directed the original was none to pleased about a sequel being made.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-23-2009, 12:22 PM
^^^i'm sure ferrara wasn't considering he wrote and directed the first...it's entirely a product of his diseased mind.

the sequel is directed by werner herzog? he who directed the 70s nosferatu which is fucking brilliant and i should've included in my list of top horror films?

is this pre or post-katrina new orleans?

this might end up being better than the original.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Post Katrina, Cage's character is awarded some kind of bravery award for his effort during/after Katrina, which is the start of the film.

And yes, the one and only Herzog.

I'm just reading now on wikipedia that Ferrara said in relation to the film "As far as remakes go, … I wish these people die in Hell. I hope they're all in the same streetcar, and it blows up."

lol, heavy.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-23-2009, 12:40 PM
^^^lol...while i definitely understand his frustration...this sounds very intriguing....but really why call it bad lieutenant at all though? the premise is sufficiently dissimilar, different actors, different director with a style nothing like ferrara's...why rehash the name?

Longbongcilvaringz
09-23-2009, 12:41 PM
I've got no idea really, Herzog didn't want the title, but it was too late i think.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans

sounds so tacky and banal lol...like a straight to dvd movie with excessive violence and nudity

beautifulrock
09-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Phillip Seymour Hoffman is overpraised by critics and under praised by fans. I think it's a stigma that will always stick with him unless he plays a character like the joker in Dark Knight. I know personally I will always see him as the fat homo in Boogie Nights.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Look who got touched.

Your anger is over flowing into all threads now i see, it's embarrassing.

I clearly wasn't saying it was his best performance, or the best performance in that film even.

I just stated some examples of his versatility.

Your reading comprehension is in need of some serious work, i'll be happy to help, just PM me when you're ready chief.

beautifulrock
09-23-2009, 12:54 PM
I changed it, get over yourself.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-23-2009, 12:58 PM
ha, you're an embarrassment.

Stop following me around into every thread i post in trying to correct me, just because i corrected a mistake you made one time.

Because, as you can see, it doesn't work.

beautifulrock
09-23-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm not following you around. Believe it or not I watch movies too. I know this is shocking to you and the bubble you live in, but it's true. The fact that you can't not react to everything i say seems like testimony to your irrational overzealous homo-like stalkerish behavior. It's sad, but I think there are meds to help you out.

PS, two different people pm'ed me yesterday to tell me to avoid you because you're a sad and lonely loser. Not like I needed the warning.

Longbongcilvaringz
09-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Fine, ruin this thread also.

Whatever suits you.

Before you posted people were discussing the subject, you interrupted with a horrendously bitter post about me for some reason, and retracted it seconds later when you realised you were wrong.

I'm sure you'll get 100's of pm's about me.

Because, just like in your case, i've touched many people in the past, and they've all stayed bitter about it.

I'm sure you won't prove an exception to the rule.

beautifulrock
09-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Admit it, you're upset because your underwear lacks dickholes.

tekunique
09-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Jack Nicholson won 3 Oscars in 3 different decades. it terms of acting skills and performance, Nicholson is easily on the same level as DeNiro to say the least. its just that we tend to enjoy the films DeNiro was in more compared to the other actors listed.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-23-2009, 01:26 PM
just relax guys, i would hate for yet another perfectly good thread to be irreparably derailed because of unentertaining bickering...'but it's the wu corp way' lol
why are you guys 'beefing' anyway?

anyway, yes, until hoffman gets a star turn that's as iconic as travis bickle, scarface, joker, hannibal lecter, etc...his talent will go unrecognized by the masses.

i always think of him as the laconic, inquisitive douchebag who gets killed in the talented mr ripley.

thinking about it anyway, this is a very arbitrary list of actors to cite as being superior to robert deniro lol you might as well include marlon brando, denzel washington, clint eastwood, and john malkovich into the disscussion (not saying they're better necessarily...but why even name deniro as the target? "who's the best actor of our times" really? lol...that might as well be the topic of conversation)

beautifulrock
09-23-2009, 01:27 PM
the answer to your last question is Morgan Freeman.

MaXiMus Da MaNtis
09-23-2009, 01:42 PM
Deniro Is Still better Than Those Mentioned

But

Robert Redford = Deniro

tekunique
09-23-2009, 01:45 PM
robert redford = deniro

lol..

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Jack Nicholson won 3 Oscars in 3 different decades. it terms of acting skills and performance, Nicholson is easily on the same level as DeNiro to say the least.

agreed

the answer to your last question is Morgan Freeman.

i'll consider it

beautifulrock
09-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Not many actors can say they have two movies in the top 10 all time, actually there are two. Al Pacino...Godfather 1 & 2 and Morgan Freeman...Shawshank and The Dark Knight

Obviously there are several actors who were in both parts of The Godfather but you know what I mean....you know what, even I don't know what I mean, forget it.

raging bull
09-23-2009, 05:04 PM
i think daniel day lewis is the closest actor to touching de niro as far as character acting goes. de niro in taxi driver alone can hold the weight. all of the actors you listed are great, they're all heavyweights. but de niro takes it.

i'm really looking forward to seeing hopkins play hitchcock, in the hitchcock biopic.

Dr. Simon Hurt
09-23-2009, 06:40 PM
daniel day lewis is tremendous that's true, check out gangs of new york and then there will be blood, he's very entertaining.

The Hound
09-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Not many actors can say they have two movies in the top 10 all time, actually there are two. Al Pacino...Godfather 1 & 2 and Morgan Freeman...Shawshank and The Dark Knight

Obviously there are several actors who were in both parts of The Godfather but you know what I mean....you know what, even I don't know what I mean, forget it.

Are you using IMDB as your criteria, again? Robert De Niro has four feature performances and one supporting role in the AFI's top 100 movies revision list of 2007.
:chef:

Olive Oil Goombah
09-28-2009, 05:55 PM
its hard to say who is better especially when you compare great actors with other great actors.

People forget DeNiro in awakenings.

I agree that Daniel Day Lewis is great. My Left Foot is a great movie.

zooruka
10-03-2009, 08:08 AM
de niro is a good actor but I think robert duvall is a dope actor him in the godfather films >>>>>> deniro in the godfather films.

peace be with you !

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-03-2009, 10:48 AM
its hard to say who is better especially when you compare great actors with other great actors.

People forget DeNiro in awakenings.

I agree that Daniel Day Lewis is great. My Left Foot is a great movie.

i did forget actually...but that is a great performance.

daniel day lewis' role in 'there will be blood' is probably my favorite performance in the last five years. other than bill the butcher lol