PDA

View Full Version : The Alchemist---Best Hip Hop Producer of the Last Decade? (99-09)

corky831
10-05-2009, 01:35 AM
I think he might just be that..........

few examples of his greatness

Lloyd Banks----Bangers
Raekwon-----Surgical Gloves
Prodigy------Keep it Thoro, Hold You Down, Three, Trials of Love
Dilated Peoples------For the Record, Worst Comes to Worse
Nas-------Revolutionary Warfare, Book of Rhymes, No Idea's Original
Jadakiss--------We Gonna Make It, Death Wish
Lil Wayne-------You Ain't Got Nothin'
Ghostface Killah-------The Forest, The Juks, Street Chemistry
Mobb Deep------Thug Muzik, The Realest, Win or Lose, Got it Twisted, Get Away
Styles P------A Gangster and a Gentlemen
Cormega------Fallen Soldiers (remix)
CNN------Queens, Bang Bang

Im sure Im missing some other bangers from him.......but these come 2 mind.........pure fire behind the boards

kingwu
10-05-2009, 01:44 AM
hold u down is hot

KillahBee09
10-05-2009, 11:48 AM
i'd say madlib is the best producer of te last decade, madvillan and the unseen are 2 of my favorite produced albums

lynskey
10-05-2009, 11:54 AM
For me personally it's 9th wonder.

From Little Brother to Buckshot, his remix of God's Son and The Black Album. Even his most recent stuff with Skyzoo, so damn good. Rarely a beat I dislike of his.

Ghost In The 'Lac
10-05-2009, 12:04 PM
^no chance, LB albums are ZZZZZZZZZZZ

Alc is a strong shout, but I think Madlib gets the crown for best

JASPER
10-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Alc is the most original and his samples are almost unrecognizable. Madlib is ill too though, but Alc is on another level.

Ghost In The 'Lac
10-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Alc could win this thread based off keep it thoro alone

Mic Tyson
10-05-2009, 01:06 PM
def. dilla or madlib

Shogah
10-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Lloyd Banks----Bangers
Raekwon-----Surgical Gloves
Prodigy------Keep it Thoro, Hold You Down, Three, Trials of Love
Dilated Peoples------For the Record, Worst Comes to Worse
Nas-------Revolutionary Warfare, Book of Rhymes, No Idea's Original
Jadakiss--------We Gonna Make It, Death Wish
Lil Wayne-------You Ain't Got Nothin'
Ghostface Killah-------The Forest, The Juks, Street Chemistry
Mobb Deep------Thug Muzik, The Realest, Win or Lose, Got it Twisted, Get Away
Styles P------A Gangster and a Gentlemen
Cormega------Fallen Soldiers (remix)
CNN------Queens, Bang Bang

Also

Pharaoh Monch - No Mercy
Pharaoh Monch - Desire

Ghost In The 'Lac
10-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Oh yeah until he went totally crap in the last few years, Just Blaze had a shout. And of course Kanye has a chance.

corky831
10-05-2009, 05:53 PM
damn cant believe i forgot No Mercy.......but ya alc is the shit

drippie k
10-05-2009, 08:28 PM
alc is one of the best, now that i really think about it, i'd say its between him n kanye as best producer right now

TGambino
10-05-2009, 08:56 PM
u trippin....Just Blaze

J-DON
10-07-2009, 05:01 PM
At the moment hes killing it (my personal favourite at the moment) but from the whole decade its a little hard to say. But yo if you think about it

Jadakiss - We gon Make It... Probably one of the best beats of the decade.

Pharoe Monche - No Mercy

Mobb Deep - Got It Twisted

Fat Joe - Definition of a Don, My Conscience

Prodigy - Bang On Em, Young Veterans, New Yitty, Rotten Apple, Stuck To You, The Life

Evidence - Let Yourself Go, Chase The Clouds Away, The Far Left

Plus all of his albums and mixtapes have been straight CRACK beatwise.

He Destroyed it on that Big Twins album too GOD DAMN.

Id Say from 2005 until now hes been at least top 5. If you wanna isolate the category of Street/Grimey/Hard hip hop Id say hes the best who has been doing it lately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agc-LdNRtIM

GhettoGnom
10-07-2009, 05:26 PM
He got a lot of dope shit and is definitely top 10 the last decade, but naaah...

First off, no one is even close to Kno, shit's not even fair. His depth and quality control is unmatched, despite changing style for every album he has released with CL.
Other than that I think Stoupe & Madlib and maybe Dilla, Ant & Marco Polo deserves a spot over Alchemist, but he's up there competing for top 5.

cap
10-07-2009, 05:37 PM
yeah alchemist made some crazy records this decade.

but i would go with just blaze or kanye west or even 9th wonder before alchemist.

YungSunny
10-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Heatmakerz were only active 2001-2005 and they STILL murk alc's catalog.

Alc's ill.

But shiiiit.

Heatmakerz?
Seriously?
The come home with me instrumental alone just fucks this topic....anally.

No lubrication.

Raw.

As soon as I hear the drums come in I picture an eagle flying in slow motion.

Slow motion.

Khem The Decepticon
10-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Alc is the shit.

ALCATRAZ
10-07-2009, 09:24 PM
kanyeezy by a mile

staliondan23
10-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Kanye has been the best producer of the last decade I don't care what anyone says. To me he has been the primo of the 00's.

J-DON
10-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Yeah you guys are all making good objections. Its really hard to say.

Alchemist
Madlib
Kanye West
Just Blaze
9th Wonder
The Neptunes
Timbaland
Heatmakerz
MF DOOM

These guys have hands down made the best music of the Decade hip hop wise.

TGambino
10-07-2009, 10:02 PM
if kanye wasnt such a fag people would be praising him a lot more

also neptunes n timbaland got damn..how can u say alchemist when u got ppl like that and just blaze

Dr Sleepwalker
10-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Alchemist is probably the best producer of the last decade., without a doubt.

spiggity_ace
10-08-2009, 12:49 AM
how bout necro, he dropped mad heat.

corky831
10-08-2009, 01:58 AM
I said alchemist just to bring up a good thread.......everyone has an opinion and ik some would object with the title of the thread.......but thats why its a thread........2 get others opinions

Dr Zayus
10-08-2009, 05:26 AM
There should be NO competition if we're talking the 2000's and Kanye's involved. From Blueprint to his solo stuff which is pretty much ALL hot shit musically to his more traditional albums with Common, his electro influenced stuff, his beats for cats like Kweli and Mos Def, Slum Village to The Game (Dreams is one of the BEST beats ever.) - not one other producer has been so willing to fuck with the formula like Kanye has.

And just for reference, listen to Run This Town, Paranoid, Selfish, You Don't Know My Name, Stronger & Gold Digger in succession and marvel at the fact that the same dude produced all that.

lynskey
10-08-2009, 09:08 AM
if kanye wasnt such a fag people would be praising him a lot more

also neptunes n timbaland got damn..how can u say alchemist when u got ppl like that and just blaze
:yes:

GhettoGnom
10-08-2009, 10:00 AM
9th wonder? I mean dude got some heat, but he's waaaayyy too one dimensional and makes way too much boring shit. And Timbo & Just Blaze is the definition of inconsistency.

E9GQ-FrIyW8
Jb0mG1UVyaw

^^Producers ain't touching the man.

corky831
10-08-2009, 11:28 AM
ya I feel alchemist never brings nething wack to the table...........just blaze is a close second........i mean i feel they're a toss up

Thworldisyours
10-08-2009, 02:42 PM
You know, if you asked me this five years ago I would've probably said Just Blaze, Kanye, and Alchemist in that order... You ask me that today and it's Alchemist EASILY...

The guy has been doing his thing since Murda Muzik and unlike the aforementioned producers he is getting better as the years go on...

Here some tracks no one has mentioned yet...

Z95LyMnn7yY
hULMkkz2fVQ
ABbXpn3_ZsY
J9zX53ssALc
oCdvPp5OP5o
1eSRyD41qdY
IwEulU0vqag

chiba
10-08-2009, 03:00 PM
alc feat evidence, kid cudi, talib, blu - therapy

11th Chamber
10-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Madlib and Kanye are better.

Alc's that dude, he's got some great shit, but you're kinda overrating him. Also using Surgical Gloves as an example of his excellence didnt work at all. Cmon son

Edgar Erebus
10-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Alchemist makes dope beats, but I have this issue with him that he doesn't have signature sound. Yeah, yeah, I know, I really don't want and don't need all of his beats to sound the same, but, for example, even in his prime Premier was doing such beats that you only heard first few bars and said: "Aha, it's Premo."

On the other hand, I have this feeling that Alchemist doesn't have control over his samples. He doesn't shape his samples to fit his beat, but he shapes his beat to fit his samples. Geddit?

As for who's the best, if we're talking about producers that debuted since '99 the title goes to Just Blaze. If we're talking generally about who was the best during that period, it goes to Kanye, he only started slipping last year.

ALCATRAZ
10-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Alchemist makes dope beats, but I have this issue with him that he doesn't have signature sound. Yeah, yeah, I know, I really don't want and don't need all of his beats to sound the same, but, for example, even in his prime Premier was doing such beats that you only heard first few bars and said: "Aha, it's Premo."

On the other hand, I have this feeling that Alchemist doesn't have control over his samples. He doesn't shape his samples to fit his beat, but he shapes his beat to fit his samples. Geddit?

As for who's the best, if we're talking about producers that debuted since '99 the title goes to Just Blaze. If we're talking generally about who was the best during that period, it goes to Kanye, he only started slipping last year.
^wow slim t is actually making sense in hip hop shop ... im astonished

Ghost In The 'Lac
10-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Wow alchemist doesnt have a signature sound? smh

dude has one of the most recognisable beats out there, he even said he had to change it up (around wet wipes) because too many people were clockin that

even now though from wet wipes to now all his beats have that signature wet wipes sound, to his carter3 beat, to surgical gloves etc etc

GhettoGnom
10-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Wet Wipes is fucking greatness btw.

And I don't see how not having a signature sound makes you less of a producer. Are you like "naah, Rick Rubin's not THAT great, he should've had a signature sound" to, or are it just Hip Hop-only producers who gets that treatment?

Cesar
10-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Alc was up there at the begginin of the decade but half way thru he fell off a bit, the original thread starter song post were from the first half of thedecade, it was either a hit or miss with him now. I do like that SMILE track from his second album. How was it anyways? I got 1st Infantry but I havent checked the second one. He is top 5 for sure, I think Kanye migh hold the numero uno spot, but im goin off the songs I believe were produced by him. How about Hi-Tek?

GhettoGnom
10-09-2009, 03:26 PM
Alc was up there at the begginin of the decade but half way thru he fell off a bit, the original thread starter song post were from the first half of thedecade, it was either a hit or miss with him now. I do like that SMILE track from his second album. How was it anyways? I got 1st Infantry but I havent checked the second one. He is top 5 for sure, I think Kanye migh hold the numero uno spot, but im goin off the songs I believe were produced by him. How about Hi-Tek?

Listen to CunninLynguists.

SL33
10-09-2009, 03:44 PM
my world is empty without you ?????????????

didn't he produce that pseudo-racist banger too???

that beat is awesome.

ALCATRAZ
10-09-2009, 09:05 PM
my world is empty without you ?????????????

didn't he produce that pseudo-racist banger too???

that beat is awesome.

lmao yo chill with that ... if you gonna call prodigy out for that u gotta call wu tang out for like half their material ... as well as all your favorite rappers

Thworldisyours
10-09-2009, 11:19 PM
I dont see how anyone could say Alchemist DOESNT have a signature sound...

Thats probably one of the craziest things I ever heard here...

YF49mEFqE2U
>>>>>> Anything Kanye has done since Flashing Lights...

SL33
10-10-2009, 01:57 AM
lmao yo chill with that ... if you gonna call prodigy out for that u gotta call wu tang out for like half their material ... as well as all your favorite rappers

i was just kidding...lol

song is excellent, didn't like some lines, and P was on some bullshit flow-wise, but overall, song is goood

Tito_Para Enfrente
10-10-2009, 03:14 AM
Do you guys like that backwards track ?

SL33
10-10-2009, 03:47 AM
Do you guys like that backwards track ?

Love it when people doubt me
Love it when you niggaz write songs about me, I love confrontation
Love it when a nigga that don't rap, he hatin

that's a nice beat, and i like these few lines.

YungSunny
10-10-2009, 04:57 AM

^Just caught emotions.

copywrite
10-10-2009, 04:59 AM
I think Madlib takes the crown for the last decade. His Beat Konducta shit alone shows just how versatile he can be. Then you got shit like:

Shades of Blue
Yesterday's New Quintet
Lootpack
Madvillain
Quasitmoto
Sound Directions
Liberation with Talib
Jaylib

He's taken what Dilla taught him to a whole new level. Too bad he doesn't get much work in the mainstream aside from Mos Def and Talib Kweli. Though I heard he's collabing with Kanye on something for his new album.

ALCATRAZ
10-10-2009, 05:01 AM
tP_VzZHXzqo

please sit down somewhere

GhettoGnom
10-10-2009, 06:36 AM
^^That track bangs... LEGACY could've done better on it, but the beat is nuts.

ALCATRAZ
10-10-2009, 07:04 AM
shit is tired b...

Afficial_Nastee
10-10-2009, 07:23 AM
None of these dudes come close to Necro when it comes to best producer of the last decade....

YungSunny
10-13-2009, 04:29 PM
tP_VzZHXzqo

please sit down somewhere
^Def caught emotions
^^That track bangs... LEGACY could've done better on it, but the beat is nuts.

Riiight...right.

Khem The Decepticon
10-13-2009, 07:06 PM
*cough* ALC *cough*

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
10-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Alc is nice but overatrated IMO......

JASPER
10-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Alc is crazy!

0TKmOvAjxeQ

That bassline!

Shogah
10-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Actually stoupe is the best hip hop producer in the last decade.

J-DON
10-22-2009, 09:22 PM
lol I cant believe he said Alc doesnt have a signature sound. Alc is on the cutting edge of sample chopping plus he has one of the most recognizable drops of all time. Earlier on I might have agreed but ever since Evidences last album Alchemist has emerged with prob one of the most distinct sounds in recent memory.

zooruka
10-22-2009, 11:28 PM
win or lose is a bangin beat.

peace be with you!

J-DON
10-23-2009, 12:01 AM
I wonder why Ghost hasnt worked with Alc since BPW he made some of the better tracks off that album. The Forrest, Street Chemistry, and The Juks were dope beats.

CHRONZ
10-23-2009, 02:26 AM
9th wonder > alc HANDS DOWN!

DR. NICK RIVIERA
10-23-2009, 02:52 AM
Yeah you guys are all making good objections. Its really hard to say.

Alchemist
Madlib
Kanye West
Just Blaze
9th Wonder
The Neptunes
Timbaland
Heatmakerz
MF DOOM

These guys have hands down made the best music of the Decade hip hop wise.

+ J.Dilla
+ BlockHead
+ RJD2
+ EL-P
+ DJ Muggs
+ Kno, is what 9th Wonder wants to be
- 9th Wonder, cuz he has signature beats, but I'm bored with them, really.

I think we should make a thread with a poll with these options.

The first name I thought of when I saw this thread was MF Doom, then MadLib. I get hyped everytime I see these two somewhere...

The trio Blockhead, RJD2 and EL-P should not be forgotten, everything from Deadringer to the MHz debut, to Cold Vein, Hell'z Winter, Fantastic Damage, Labor Days, I'll Sleep When You're Dead, Copywrite's first album, Aesop's other albums [especially his last one].... I think they deserve a honourable mention.

Muggs is mentioned because altho he only had like less than 100 beats this decade [maybe my sources are wrong], there wasn't a wack beat, he came through for everyone. Plus I think Muggs still deserves to be mentioned before Stoupe, his vs. series did it for me.

Longbongcilvaringz
10-23-2009, 03:10 AM
I'd say Stoupe was the best since 99' but i'd obviously be in the minority.

ALCATRAZ
10-23-2009, 03:19 AM
9th wonder > alc HANDS DOWN!
u trippin nigga

JASPER
10-23-2009, 03:19 PM
lol I cant believe he said Alc doesnt have a signature sound. Alc is on the cutting edge of sample chopping plus he has one of the most recognizable drops of all time. Earlier on I might have agreed but ever since Evidences last album Alchemist has emerged with prob one of the most distinct sounds in recent memory.word.

Alc could take Michael Jacksons Billy Jeans and no one would ever know what the sample is.
He can pull out any record from a pile of crates and make something dope out of it.

No loops.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
10-23-2009, 03:46 PM
I'd say Stoupe was the best since 99' but i'd obviously be in the minority.

I can understand the love, but I like about 10 producers more in this decade than him. I would go against my beliefs if I said Stoupe was better than MF Doom in this time.

catcha Freedman
10-24-2009, 09:41 AM
What yall forget about dre hes still a producer but yeah i would have to agree that the alchemist is the illest but i just think that Dr. Dre should at least still be considered.

diggy
11-01-2009, 03:00 AM
titEfYpL4J0

Edgar Erebus
11-01-2009, 08:00 AM
lol I cant believe he said Alc doesnt have a signature sound. Alc is on the cutting edge of sample chopping plus he has one of the most recognizable drops of all time. Earlier on I might have agreed but ever since Evidences last album Alchemist has emerged with prob one of the most distinct sounds in recent memory.

Okay, I'll admit I lost my track of Alchemist after Return of the Mac, so you might be right about that. But in any case it's been only two years since Evidence's last album, way too short a period for him to be the best of the last decade.

11th Chamber
11-01-2009, 12:17 PM
I still put Dilla, Madlib, and Kanye over Alc

J-DON
11-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Okay, I'll admit I lost my track of Alchemist after Return of the Mac, so you might be right about that. But in any case it's been only two years since Evidence's last album, way too short a period for him to be the best of the last decade.

he switched his sound after Evs album but that doesnt mean he wasnt bringing heat since the late 90s.

Dialated Peoples - Worst Comes to Worst
Jadakiss - We Gonna Make It
Prodigy - Keep It Thoro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alchemist_production_discography

Edgar Erebus
11-01-2009, 02:39 PM
This whole afternoon I've been listening to Alchemist, especially his newer beats and I gotta admit that he improved drastically since Evidence's LP. Definitely among top producers right now, and he surely has his own sound right now - you can recognize his beat immediately. So, yeah, right now he's killing it and if he keeps up, he could as well become one of beatmaking legends.

As for his earlier work, well, I still stand by my words. My personal opinion is that he was making mostly meh, bland beats, and every now and then he dropped a huge banger. But it's not until last Evidence's album that he became really consistently good.

angry!
11-01-2009, 02:46 PM
This whole afternoon I've been listening to Alchemist, especially his newer beats and I gotta admit that he improved drastically since Evidence's LP. Definitely among top producers right now, and he definitely has his own sound right now - you can recognize his beat immediately.

As for his earlier work, well, I still stand by my words. My personal opinion is that he was making mostly meh, bland beats, and every now and then he dropped a huge banger. But it's not until last Evidence's album that he became really consistently good.

youre not familiar enough with his work to make that assement son!!!!

alc was a splash when he hit!!!! "we gonna make it", "thug muzik", "keep it thoro", this guy has evolved through the years but hes been consistently GREAT his entire career!!!!

those are just the hits, look at his early work with buc fifty, dilated peoples, royce da 5'9'', freddie foxx, it aint like alc just got nice outta nowhere after the evidence album b!!!!

he had the hottest beats on nas' gods son, the hottest beats on styles p debut, and the hottest beats on every mobb deep album post infamy!!!! do some more research before you start spillin beans chief!!!!

Edgar Erebus
11-01-2009, 03:28 PM
^^

Just for your information, at the moment I only haven't heard his work with High & Mighty, Swollen Members and Casual. Believe me, if I wasn't familiar enough with his early work I wouldn't make such statement, and even I admitted that I only slept on his recent work.

angry!
11-01-2009, 03:48 PM
alright homie, its just foreign to me that someone feeling alc today wasnt feeling his early shit!!!!

just in 2009, i can think of a boat load of banging beats alc made.

surgical gloves - rae
choose your side - la coka nostra
three bangers on big twins - the project kid
chemical warfare - 8 bangers at the least
death wish - jada and weezy

plus the guy got a lot of unreleased heat that A LOT of niggas sleep on!!!! i mean, like 5 albums worth of unreleased heat!!!!! misc mixtape tracks, scrapped shit, guy is a machine on the boards!!!!

and i think the drastic change in his style these days comes from the fact he aint fuckin with the ASR-10 anymore!!!! a grandmaster can make any chess piece deadly!!!!

J-DON
11-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah he really went off on that Big Twins album. That album is great production wise and probably one of my favorite of 2009. Chemical Warfare is also a favorite.

I just really want to see him work with someone great instead of Big Twins (dope voice but weak lyrics), Evidence (zzzz), Himself (omg hes awful on the mic lol), Prodigy (prob still the best one that alc works with)...

Imagine a Jadakiss or Clipse album produced entirely by Alchemist.

11th Chamber
11-01-2009, 07:58 PM
surgical gloves - rae

shit beat

J-DON
11-06-2009, 06:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wKXO0t58O8

IYyuO7ItQl8

n9mzYvY6wsw