PDA

View Full Version : Best song on Dark Side Of The Moon

MAYOR QUIMBY
10-14-2009, 01:38 AM
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/zoso_93/darksideofthemoon.jpg

I enjoy difficult questions.

Some cool facts:

It subsequently remained on the billboard charts for 741 weeks (fourteen years), the longest duration of any album in history.

It was Produced by Alan Parsons.

Estimated 45 million units sold.

"The Great Gig In The Sky":
Around the 3:32 mark of the song you will hear a woman's voice faintly saying "if you can hear this whisper, you're dying."

The entire album is mysteriously synchronized with the movie The Wizard Of Oz.

food for thought
10-14-2009, 01:48 AM
tripped mushrooms and acid to this album numerous times.

i love this album.

best song has to be Us and Them.

hands down.

JASPER
10-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Hit me with your rhythm stick

noel411
10-14-2009, 07:14 AM
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...

Longbongcilvaringz
10-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Nah, it's not synchronised with the Wizard of Oz.

I'll go with 'Money'.

I cannot provide a reason, other than it breaks up the album nicely.

5hundred&one
10-14-2009, 04:19 PM
Money for me. Us and Them would be number 2.

beautifulrock
10-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Brain Damage/Eclipse

oDoUoSoKo
10-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day...
ditto.

close second would be Any Colour You Like

MAYOR QUIMBY
10-14-2009, 11:23 PM
"Great Gig In The Sky" is the goat!

Visionz
10-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Money is the only song that doesn't blend right into the next. I couldn't tell you a favorite as it really plays like one brilliant song with an interlude :b

co-sign on the Wizard of Oz deal being bullshit, couple of random coincidences but thats it. not to mention the album is a good deal shorter than the movie.

Giflord
10-15-2009, 01:37 AM
all that you touch and all that you see, is all your life will ever be

BEATSMITH RESIST
10-15-2009, 01:46 AM
I love this album, i copped 2 12" copies... I flip PF all the time... go to
http://www.myspace.com/doperecordselektaz to hear my version of Gig in the Sky!!!!!!

when i was a kid My older bro used 2 play the wall everynight... I was freaked out by roger waters' vocals...

djskillz
10-15-2009, 08:34 AM
I think my favorite would have to be Speak to Me/Breathe. Sets the tone of the album nicely and once the reprise comes in on Time and then again on Any Colour You Like it helps make the album seem more cohesive. This is definitely one of the most cohesive albums of all time. Not one song seems out of place and the reprise helps make it feel like one huge song.

beautifulrock
10-15-2009, 08:43 AM
pretty much all of their albums have that feel, especially the ones with only 4 songs on them

5hundred&one
10-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Money is the only song that doesn't blend right into the next. I couldn't tell you a favorite as it really plays like one brilliant song with an interlude :b

co-sign on the Wizard of Oz deal being bullshit, couple of random coincidences but thats it. not to mention the album is a good deal shorter than the movie.

The Wizard of Oz thing, I agree to an extent, but most the people I know personally who don't see the significance, I always felt that they were putting to much thought into it. I've watched Wizard with DSofM playing in the background countless times and it only seemed to make sense at loud levels on a good surround sound system and after a few times they really started sync together and compliment each other. Try listening to Dark Side of the Moon with the Wizard of Oz there as visuals rather than watch the movie with Dark Side as it's soundtrack.

Visionz
10-15-2009, 09:39 AM
The Wizard of Oz thing, I agree to an extent, but most the people I know personally who don't see the significance, I always felt that they were putting to much thought into it. I've watched Wizard with DSofM playing in the background countless times and it only seemed to make sense at loud levels on a good surround sound system and after a few times they really started sync together and compliment each other. Try listening to Dark Side of the Moon with the Wizard of Oz there as visuals rather than watch the movie with Dark Side as it's soundtrack.
I turned the sound down on the movie when I checked it out for myself. There was a couple of things that were on-point but nothing that made me think PF actually intended to sync 'em.

The Lunatic is on the Grass---The scarecrow is dancing around on the grass
Black, black, black ----The witch shows up decked in all black ofcourse

and from what I can recall that's it. Trips you out a little when it happens but I chunk it up coincedence

5hundred&one
10-15-2009, 09:43 AM
oh definitely, I wasn't saying that it was intentional. same as the stairway to heaven back-masking satan worship.

claaa7
10-15-2009, 09:56 AM
"Speak To Me / Breathe", love that intro and how it sets off the tone for the whole album and it's too brilliant how they got the "Breathe Reprise" right after 'Time' taking it back.

beautifulrock
10-15-2009, 09:57 AM
I turned the sound down on the movie when I checked it out for myself. There was a couple of things that were on-point but nothing that made me think PF actually intended to sync 'em.

The Lunatic is on the Grass---The scarecrow is dancing around on the grass
Black, black, black ----The witch shows up decked in all black ofcourse

and from what I can recall that's it. Trips you out a little when it happens but I chunk it up coincedenceMoney begins the second it goes color.

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-15-2009, 10:07 AM
i would say 'time' or 'breathe', but whenever a song comes on shuffle, i just listen to the whole thing front to back anyway.

Uncle Steezo
10-15-2009, 11:28 AM
search "darkside of the rainbow" on YT.
the coincidences are pretty abundant.
the tempo and vibe of the music changes with the scene changes.
gig in the sky marks the tornado scene. when the music gets really intense is when the storm is at full blast and then settles when the house settles in Oz.
"money" starts the yellow(gold) brick road.
us and them lyrically references thing seen onscreen.

its all about when you start the cd and the movie.

the weird thing, is that if you keep the cd on repeat, it syncs up multiple times.

beautifulrock
10-15-2009, 11:37 AM
The fact that The wizard of Oz is an illuminist's wet dream and and Pink Floyd is exactly the opposite make the connection far fetched at best, it's still fun though.

MAYOR QUIMBY
10-15-2009, 01:40 PM
when i was a kid My older bro used 2 play the wall everynight... I was freaked out by roger waters' vocals...
I remember watching the movie The Wall when i was 8 years old,,nightmares for weeks! And my brother had the vinyl, i used to get scared walking by it, haha.

Teh KillaBee
10-15-2009, 01:42 PM
tripped mushrooms and acid to this album numerous times.

i love this album.

best song has to be Us and Them.

hands down.

werd, but I voted for Time.

Teh KillaBee
10-15-2009, 01:47 PM
glad that money only gots one vote, overrated and overplayed

5hundred&one
10-15-2009, 02:43 PM
^ wrong answer

JerseyIronman
10-15-2009, 07:11 PM
This is the ultimate "listen to it as a whole" album. What really makes this album a masterpiece is how it flows together, it isnt really about the stand out tracks. I dont think any of these songs would make my top 5.

Maybe "Speak to me / Breath" because its an amazing ambient track to set the mood of the album.

Maybe "Money" because of the funkiness it brings to the album which is a welcome change of pace.

Maybe "Time" because of the epic guitar solos.

But I think the part of the album I anticipate the most when im listening to it is "Any Colour You Like" cuz of the crazy synthesizers and guitar. its entrancing. Cant believe how underrated this track is. I find it alot more enjoyable than Brain Damage / Eclipse which is supposed to be like the finale of the album.

Longbongcilvaringz
10-16-2009, 12:12 AM
Yeah, Any Colour You Like would have been my second choice.

Surprised no one else has picked it.

JerseyIronman
10-16-2009, 05:16 PM
^^

Dusk mentioned it too

Breaking News: The Flaming Lips are going to cover the entire album. Henry Rollins and Peaches will guest appear on it too.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/10/flaming-lips-bring-embyronics-rock-n-roll-edge-to-hollywood.html

Krimewave
10-16-2009, 08:43 PM
money.

count the beats, most of it's in a crazy time sig, 7/8 or something, but it switches to 4/4 for the bridge.

Krimewave
10-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Dub side of the moon:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Side-Moon-Easy-Star-All-Stars/dp/B00008A7U9

well worth a squirt

oDoUoSoKo
10-16-2009, 10:06 PM
^^

Dusk mentioned it too

Breaking News: The Flaming Lips are going to cover the entire album. Henry Rollins and Peaches will guest appear on it too.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/10/flaming-lips-bring-embyronics-rock-n-roll-edge-to-hollywood.html
wtf:no:

Longbongcilvaringz
10-17-2009, 08:42 AM
^^

Dusk mentioned it too

Covering undisputed classics is always going to be risky.

Not sure why bands would bother.

oDoUoSoKo
10-17-2009, 01:00 PM
not sure i trust the flaming lips...not that theyre bad..in fact, i like alot of their stuff...but we're talkin darkside here...

5hundred&one
10-17-2009, 03:56 PM
I trust the flaming lips, they get progressively better as time goes on. You're right though, it is Dark Side.

risky business.

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-17-2009, 04:07 PM
seems unnecessary imo, but they're a good band so hopefully it'll at least be interesting.
covers are tricky, because if it deviates too much from the original or too little, you're left wondering what the point was.

Buzk
10-19-2009, 05:35 AM
stands between brain damage, time, great gig in the sky and eclipse. voted brain damage, but not really sure

Teh KillaBee
10-19-2009, 12:45 PM
Covering undisputed classics is always going to be risky.

Not sure why bands would bother.

that's like trying to de-throne John Holmes, not gonna happen qft