PDA

View Full Version : Gold

TheBoarzHeadBoy
10-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Anyone here explain why we stopped using a gold standard? Or even better why we won't go back on it.

I'm going to try to save up some cash this year to put into precious metals when the market falls (in the up coming second wave of the housing crash in a few years) so I can sell it when the market is on the rise again. I'm just curious why peoples aren't all doing this. Your ten thousand dollars in the bank won't be shit when obama destabalizes our economy (which will create jobs in the long run by making more desperate poor people so we can compete better with asia...)

narc
10-14-2009, 03:59 PM
we stopped using gold bullions....when?

and the gold market has stopped its steady and stable rise...when?

lrn2economics

Prince Rai
10-14-2009, 04:20 PM
ehhm, many commodity firms have been dealing with gold for years. nothing has changed.

HANZO
10-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Alot of ppl still deal with Gold. Alot of the billionaires in this world have their money stored as gold.

You dont just have to deal with gold, you can also invest in other currency's as well. For example right now the British Pound is very weak due to low interests rates, but when the interest rates go up in England the pound will be strong again. You can get good value for your Dollar against the Pound now, and in a couple months time (or in a years time maybe). the pound could go back to being $2 or more. So that would be a good way to invest.

DUMBO
10-14-2009, 05:26 PM
because you can't devalue the shit out of african economies (such as zimbabwe) when you use gold. matter of fact, as zimbabwe is forced to use a foreign currency at the moment on account of the real AND perceived realities of Mugabe's dictatorship, gold prices are higher than ever.

so high - so fucking high - in fact, the EU has re-started diplomacy with zimbabwe despite the fact that their arch-enemy is still in power.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
10-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Well of course billionaires store gold reserves, on that scale it makes sense to. I'm just curious why people aren't doing it small scale.

And investing in other currencies means shit when they're all fiat and subject to devaluation. If everyone used gold we'd be more stable. The amount of gold is a pretty steady X and the rate of human population is a skyrocketing Y, so theoretically if the population goes up gold becomes worth more. Ultimately you only have positive growth of gold prices which means those with a lot of it grow exponentially richer and those with a small amount of it grow exponentially smaller. But if that happens we add element #2 to the mix and start using gold and silver. Then we add copper... and uranium... and iron... and...

So its not that much of a concern IMO.

I mean if it comes to it we can use Koku like ancient japan (the amount of dry rice that can feed a man for a year.) Food is necessarily more steady with population.

MAYOR QUIMBY
10-15-2009, 12:47 AM
I've been wondering how those Cash 4 Gold places work or if they are a scam? How do they make profit and shit? Too lazy to look it up or care.

PALEFORCE
10-15-2009, 12:53 AM
those places are making so much fucking money right now i wish i thought of that

Visionz
10-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Anyone here explain why we stopped using a gold standard? Or even better why we won't go back on it.

I'm going to try to save up some cash this year to put into precious metals when the market falls (in the up coming second wave of the housing crash in a few years) so I can sell it when the market is on the rise again. I'm just curious why peoples aren't all doing this. Your ten thousand dollars in the bank won't be shit when obama destabalizes our economy (which will create jobs in the long run by making more desperate poor people so we can compete better with asia...)
It started with Nixon for why we stopped (I forget the details but its out there if you research it) and we won't go back because we don't have near enough gold to back up the amount of money that's in circulation around the globe.

narc
10-15-2009, 01:34 AM
I've been wondering how those Cash 4 Gold places work or if they are a scam? How do they make profit and shit? Too lazy to look it up or care.

Gold prices are steadily increasing globally, and constantly. They buy your gold whilst the currency is cheap and sell it when the gold prices/currency are stronger.

They only buy it off you for a fraction of the price its worth aswell.

Longbongcilvaringz
10-15-2009, 02:20 AM
I've had arguments with some of the cunts i associate with who espouse the gold standard and it's a dick hole of a conversation.

Visionz
10-15-2009, 02:37 AM
I've had arguments with some of the cunts i associate with who espouse the gold standard and it's a dick hole of a conversation.
I wish it wasn't abandoned but there's no coming back to it unless we decide to pillage the Swiss.

Longbongcilvaringz
10-15-2009, 02:44 AM
Exactly.

Practically it cannot work, which is pretty much the end of the discussion.

Visionz
10-15-2009, 02:49 AM
Exactly.

Practically it cannot work, which is pretty much the end of the discussion.

Which is why we should move to a Dank-standard, its the gold that grows on trees :b That's an argument that those that don't smoke weed can't get their head around. They said weed wouldn't be worth anything (I disagree) but even if you had to grow and hold onto tons of it, better the dollar be backed by something vs. the nothing our current dollar is backed by.

Longbongcilvaringz
10-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Which fucking reminds me, the new state government here is tightening what were pretty lenient weed laws.

It used to not be a criminal offense to be holding 30 grams or less, or have 2 plants. That's changing to 10 grams or less, no plants, and higher fines. They're also going to make selling paraphernalia illegal.

Fuck, these people are such vote whores, it depresses me.

They know this bullshit does nothing to drug use or crime or whatever else they want to talk about.

Fucking cunts.

Visionz
10-15-2009, 03:12 AM
Which fucking reminds me, the new state government here is tightening what were pretty lenient weed laws.

It used to not be a criminal offense to be holding 30 grams or less, or have 2 plants. That's changing to 10 grams or less, no plants, and higher fines. They're also going to make selling paraphernalia illegal.

Fuck, these people are such vote whores, it depresses me.

They know this bullshit does nothing to drug use or crime or whatever else they want to talk about.

Fucking cunts.
that fucking sucks. What do you do when a bong breaks? No one's gonna be shipping 'em in I take it. bummer news. Countries should be going the other way with it.

I've got two truly great and original ideas that I think would change EVERYTHING but the world will never grab hold {:( its a damn shame.

Huggasaurus Sex
10-15-2009, 09:32 AM
pretty much.

anyway, short answers to threadstater:

we stopped using the gold standard because our treasury was writing checks our gold supply couldn't cash, so to speak. what that means is that people were able to use dollars to purchase our nation's gold below market prices.

we won't return to it because people don't really care or don't understand the issue enough to care, so politicians have no motivation to change the status quo.

the reason people aren't buying low and selling high is because in efficient markets it's extremely difficult to figure out what constitutes a low price and what constitutes a high price. good luck with your investment if you decide to go through with it.

PALEFORCE
10-15-2009, 09:10 PM
this would be a good thread for ktl. i been studying this market and. gold pieces its like 1060 an ounce now. i hear alot of people predicting its going to double cuz of the dollar dropping. i just like to have it cuz it has intrinsic value. its not really an investmment to me but trading paper for real wealth

Visionz
10-15-2009, 09:19 PM
this would be a good thread for ktl. i been studying this market and. gold pieces its like 1060 an ounce now. i hear alot of people predicting its going to double cuz of the dollar dropping. i just like to have it cuz it has intrinsic value. its not really an investmment to me but trading paper for real wealth
ahh yes the intrinsic value.

:list:<----------petition for a weed-based dollar :b

If the dollar completely collapses, I could still find somebody to trade me their car for 20lbs of weed :lmao: y'know if I needed to n' shit.

Should I write my congressman, should I convince the people to march in the streets? Where should I turn? :dududu:

TheBoarzHeadBoy
10-15-2009, 09:26 PM
We could call that shit "Greenbacks"

I vote for this.

Visionz
10-15-2009, 09:31 PM
We could call that shit "Greenbacks"

I vote for this.
Spread the word among your brethren young homie, the children are the future.

PALEFORCE
10-15-2009, 09:36 PM
you know it used to be mandatory for farmers to grow weed back in the 18th century. the gov needed it so much they made farmers grow it lol how the times have changed