PDA

View Full Version : The Critic's Chair

SID
10-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Basically this is for all music lovers who want to talk and debate on the meaning behind songs, their concept, structure, sound and everything. (smoke a joint before you sit down)

http://i34.tinypic.com/10r95yx.jpg

I'll start it iff with a TOOL song naturally..

I'ts a hard choice coz all of their material is pretty much as close as you are going to get to "art", meaning their songs are layered with all sorts of messages and concepts.

GnlD7eqTYks
So familiar and overwhelmingly warm
This one, this form I hold now.
Embracing you, this reality here,
This one, this form I hold now, so
Wide eyed and hopeful.
Wide eyed and hopefully wild.

We barely remember what came before this precious moment,
Choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside...
This body holding me, reminding me that I am not alone in

WOW.

Firstly i chose this song because its not too complex or cryptic for a regular person to understand, its the first layer in the many layers of TOOL, as i imagine you all could agree.

I'ts a very short song song in TOOL terms, but it's packed, it dosent have the normal build up because of the size but you feel the pure emontional absorbed voice of maynards along with the mantra like bass and computer generated mellow sound effects, it kinda makes up for it.

Time for my interpratation of the lyrics

Firstly i think you need to of had some experience with some sort entheogenic plant to fully appreciate the mindset maynard was in when writing and the implications of the song or you are just a extremely learned individual.

Basically i think the he is talking about his experience with LSD and the implications it had on his concept of reality and allowing yourself to find yourself and execpt yourself, whatever or whoever they may truely be, it's pretty raw inspective stuff.

"So familiar and overwhelmingly warm
This one, this form I hold now."

With those first lines he is saying how familiar his true self was while he was confused and searching, how it was always there but he couldent unlock its secret and accept it, this one, the form i know now - meaning he accepted his true self

"Embracing you, this reality here,
This one, this form I hold now, so"

Talking about what i previously said, him coming to terms and embracing his true inner self along with all its insecurities and negative attributes and also accepting the new reality which has been defined by his inner journey.

"Wide eyed and hopeful.
Wide eyed and hopefully wild."

He is now a generally happy and content person unaffected by the illusionary frivilites of daily life, strong and positive.

"We barely remember what came before this precious moment,
Choosing to be here right now. Hold on, stay inside..."

His previous conciousness and perception of reality is blurred and in fragments compared to his new awakening.

Choosing to be here - i feel he feels that his true self is wild and and powerful beyond his control, and that it accepts him, not him accepting it. Hold on stay inside - he is adding emphasis on the higher conciousness that he forms part of and its power over his perception of this plane of reality.

This body holding me, reminding me that I am not alone in

His body is merely a vessel, holding and containing his spirt, reminding him that he is not the only one going through life.

All in all a powerful song with an enchanting melody and tone,and mesmerisingly absorbng flow and wavelength.

*leaves chair, lights cig and wipes forehead off head

Teh KillaBee
10-15-2009, 02:08 PM
*already high but I'll smoke more

Do lateralus next

Teh KillaBee
10-15-2009, 02:09 PM
SID you live in Alaska?

SID
10-15-2009, 02:10 PM
London, my friend.

Teh KillaBee
10-15-2009, 02:16 PM
gotcha, the internets a big place, ftr you are spot on w/ Parabol.

Def some shit you should be atleast high for.

Longbongcilvaringz
10-16-2009, 12:08 AM
^Nice sig.

I pretty much agree with your interpretation.

All about the separation of the spirit/soul and the physical being.

Teh KillaBee
10-16-2009, 11:13 AM
enjoy

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff155/Wilmafingerdo/Gif%20Folder/tool-1.gif

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff155/Wilmafingerdo/Gif%20Folder/PS2.gif

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff155/Wilmafingerdo/Gif%20Folder/tool.gif

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff155/Wilmafingerdo/Gif%20Folder/Toolimationv1.gif

Longbongcilvaringz
10-16-2009, 11:18 AM
Ah, i remember the first time i saw Tool clips on late night video clip shows here when i must have been like 13. Skinkfist was frightening.

Teh KillaBee
10-16-2009, 11:27 AM
they pwn in concert, only got to see them once but qfepic imo

Longbongcilvaringz
10-16-2009, 11:38 AM
I missed them when they came here.

I fucked up.

Teh KillaBee
10-16-2009, 11:50 AM
I missed them when they came here.

I fucked up.

I try not to miss decent shows, while back Damage Plan was coming to spokane and I skipped out on going. Reason being that I didn't like 'em all too much just wanted to see Dimebag. And c'mon its not like some shitstain's gonna whack him..........pwnt

SID
10-17-2009, 05:19 AM
nice gifs.

I'm literally dying to see them live, i check if there touring every couple of months just to be disheartened that their last London show was 05 and there are no scheduled tours upcoming. :(

Teh KillaBee
10-19-2009, 01:38 PM
another badass show you'll nevwer get to sea, White Zombie pwns hard in concert. The OG group not present day Zombie, two different bands imo