PDA

View Full Version : Science should stop using Greek and Latin in naming

TSA
10-22-2009, 06:08 PM
and use regional languages, i think which ever country stops being a pusseh and does this will excel in science or at least increase their scientists per capita.

i mean yeah keep the latin name but give it an english on as well.
how easy would life by if Phagocytosis was called Object-eating or Hypotonic means Overtly-Tense.

cause wtf?

christianity dropped latin bibles and in came the renassiance, why can't science keep it real.

Olive Oil Goombah
10-22-2009, 06:10 PM
science doesnt care what you think

Ghost In The 'Lac
10-22-2009, 06:29 PM
flamenco is actually an arabic word meaning fugitive peasent, it came from presumably the moors who were in spain at the time, but flamenco is generaly considered to be mainly a product of the gypsies, with jewish and arabic influences.

flamenco was invented when the new cristian leader of spain decided he had seen enough arabs and gypsies, and drove them all to the hills

so just like MJ, they used dance and music to express their pain.

rip MJ.

JerseyIronman
10-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Its because the Greeks were the OG's of science. Its tradition. Also it sounds cool, you hear a person talking about dividing lambda by pi and you know its some serious science shit. its the same reason why we call our planets after the Greek Gods, its sound cool.

Besides the science community needs a way to build another wall between scientists and non-scientists, to prevent an average person from be able to understand a science article.

Its their own lingo you just have to learn. Its like making med students go through med school to become doctors, and jump through hoops, they have to put in their work to become doctors.

TSA
10-23-2009, 12:07 AM
yeah but outside of sounding cool that shit holds back science in general, which causes more practical complications then sounding uncool.

there's no reason for it other then tradition and i dont that practical science should base it's self of tradition for the sake of being traditional and sounding cool though your absolutely right

think how much harder it would be to teach the seeds about wasps when your calling wasps pbuelris oplmutiliia or whatever the fuck their slave names are.

SKAMPOE
10-23-2009, 12:18 AM
li78U-13pOo

PALEFORCE
10-23-2009, 12:44 AM
latin was the first official language almost all words have their roots there

RALPH WIGGUM
10-23-2009, 10:51 AM
What you mean first official language?
And no, only indo european languages have their roots in latin.

TSA
10-23-2009, 10:53 AM
no they don't

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-23-2009, 11:23 AM
the amount of time and effort it would take to convert all of the technical terms in every scientific discipline over to a more modern form would make it pointless. in the biological/medical sciences alone you're looking at hundreds of thousands of words that would need to be converted. besides the latin stuff's not that difficult, most of the insanely multisyllabic words are just a string of latin prefixes that basically tells you what the word means. maybe a semester or two of latin should be compulsory for high school kids and then the scientific jargon wouldn't look so insane.

Dr. Simon Hurt
10-23-2009, 11:25 AM
think how much harder it would be to teach the seeds about wasps when your calling wasps pbuelris oplmutiliia or whatever the fuck their slave names are.

lmfao

THE MASON
10-23-2009, 11:25 AM

fail

there were plenty "official" languages before this, where do you think latin came from?

Phoenicians gave Greeks there alphabet and Romans mimiced the Greeks immensely over the years until they develped latin. Before then the Sumerians had the Cuneiform script and Indians had Sanskrit

SKAMPOE
10-23-2009, 11:59 AM
repped^

Crackhead Bob
10-23-2009, 12:15 PM
fail

there were plenty "official" languages before this, where do you think latin came from?

Phoenicians gave Greeks there alphabet and Romans mimiced the Greeks immensely over the years until they develped latin. Before then the Sumerians had the Cuneiform script and Indians had Sanskrit
Latin is the basis for the Romance Languages, all modern languages take their roots from Latin.

THE MASON
10-23-2009, 12:18 PM
which derived from Greek or the Phoenician alphabet

Crackhead Bob
10-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Ancient Greek, not modern Greek, there's a difference

THE MASON
10-23-2009, 12:34 PM
i know that

without the phonecian alphabet there wouldnt have been ancient greek and without ancient greek there wouldnt have been latin and without latin you wouldnt have the romance languages

Clan Destine
10-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Latin is used for universality across different language cultures, without really favouring one over the other. Carolus Linnaues innovated the binomial system when referring to organisms because every biologist across the world was calling things different shit in different languages.

Local languages are used for non-scientific use. Chances are if some animal or term is common enough in your life that you need refer to it you'll just make up or hear a less formal word.

Maybe you should just stop whining and just learn the fucking latin. People will be impressed when you use that shit.... well, depending on the people.

Prolifical ENG
10-23-2009, 12:47 PM
There isnt enough words in the english language to start compounding technical terms like that. It would be even more confusing. However, some common phrases already have their common english terms. Mostly everyone knows what "whooping cough" is.

I dont know how specie biological classifications would be like with just "plain" English.

Inspectah_Dirk
10-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Yeah, and while we're at it..let's change the names of all the planets as well. Naming them after Roman gods and all. Geez.

I kind of get your point tho, but giving it the greek and latin names..it just sounds more interesting probably. Also, it's a trend since waaaaay back..so you can't change it anymore, you just can't. But it's ok..i don't need to remember them anyway.

PALEFORCE
10-23-2009, 01:11 PM
fail

yea i understand that...thats why i said "official" not literally

RALPH WIGGUM
10-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Latin is the basis for the Romance Languages, all modern languages take their roots from Latin.

Again, only indo europeans languages take their roots from latin, thats far from all modern languages.

TSA
10-24-2009, 11:38 AM
There isnt enough words in the english language to start compounding technical terms like that. It would be even more confusing. However, some common phrases already have their common english terms. Mostly everyone knows what "whooping cough" is.

I dont know how specie biological classifications would be like with just "plain" English.

English has to most words of any language in the world, including latin

with latin we take words like eat-phago then add words like object-cyte then add process-osis

and make phagocytosis instead of just saying object eating process.
they use simple latin or greek words and make overtly complex latin and greek sentences, call it an english word, then tell you to learn it

so in science class your learning language and science.
2 languages.

you're all stuck on tradition, which is fine cause your not an innovative or bright problem solving ppl. you're wutang goobers, but i can easily see the advantage to english speaking countries in producing scientist at a greater volume and works of a greater quality, it will also stop discouraging kids from science.

look at it this way, most biology for instance is pretty simple IF you know the terminology. If the terminology was plain and english a lot of medical breakthroughs might come from a dinner table discussion cause the terms are so simple it will make things in biology seem as common sense as they should be.

i think when i get older i will start translating a lot of the latin and greek prefixes and suffixes into igbo and see the skyrocket in progress it can and will bring about for my own ppl. you faggots can go ahead and drop out of school cause of the problem im addressing them tell me to learn latin when i address the problem.

TSA
10-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah, and while we're at it..let's change the names of all the planets as well. Naming them after Roman gods and all. Geez.

I kind of get your point tho, but giving it the greek and latin names..it just sounds more interesting probably. Also, it's a trend since waaaaay back..so you can't change it anymore, you just can't. But it's ok..i don't need to remember them anyway.
yeah you can. there was a time the bible was only in latin.
there was a time that education was only done in latin and greek, to ppl that didn't speak the languages, and arabic is spain,.

then they were like yo nigga. why not just speak our language. and poof the renassiance. im not saying rename the planets, just compound latin and greek sentences that they're trying to teach to 11 year olds as scientific terms.

look at photosynthesis, that's light-conversion-process. sure we now all know what photosynthesis is except skampoe, but i remember having a hard time with it in 3rd grade cause little did i know i was learning another language and a new concept i didn't know before that really was only as new as it was cause the word was in a foreign language. had it been light-conversion-process i would have said, oh, obviously light will be converted into something, and poof, i now know a little more about plant biology simple cause i know english.

Uncle Steezo
10-24-2009, 11:56 AM
isnt your name Duru?
dont you asked to be called Derek?

stop being a poo-say.

Prolifical ENG
10-24-2009, 03:26 PM
English has to most words of any language in the world, including latin

with latin we take words like eat-phago then add words like object-cyte then add process-osis

and make phagocytosis instead of just saying object eating process.
they use simple latin or greek words and make overtly complex latin and greek sentences, call it an english word, then tell you to learn it

so in science class your learning language and science.
2 languages.

Math can be a language too. Why not just write "equals" instead of "=". Same thing as written music.

It is true english has "more" words.

Science has a way of defining "scientific" words the way they want them to be defined instead of the way it is commonly used in casual everyday life. it is important in science (as well as law and a few other disciplines) to have their own words striclty defined and only those communities can change the definitions.

you're all stuck on tradition, which is fine cause your not an innovative or bright problem solving ppl. you're wutang goobers, but i can easily see the advantage to english speaking countries in producing scientist at a greater volume and works of a greater quality, it will also stop discouraging kids from science.

Out of all sciences, biology is my weakest. Nevertheless it seems you are implying we give all scientific terms that got their names rooted in latin, english compound names and change to those. If the scientific community agreed to this, who knows how much it would cost to republish texts.

look at it this way, most biology for instance is pretty simple IF you know the terminology. If the terminology was plain and english a lot of medical breakthroughs might come from a dinner table discussion cause the terms are so simple it will make things in biology seem as common sense as they should be.

I dont know how much science you have studied or if there is a problem with people not being interested in science, I never read articles suggesting there is a problem.

i think when i get older i will start translating a lot of the latin and greek prefixes and suffixes into igbo and see the skyrocket in progress it can and will bring about for my own ppl. you faggots can go ahead and drop out of school cause of the problem im addressing them tell me to learn latin when i address the problem.

If you want to do that and you think it will be successful and an easier system I suggest you do it. However, there are reasons why USA is still with a different measurement system than the rest of the world. The world chose to make SI units of measure.

TSA
10-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Math can be a language too. Why not just write "equals" instead of "=". Same thing as written music.
= is a symbol that's a part of common western symbolism, in english and other languages in europe. if we started using Japanese symbology in mathematics it would be a better example. ppl will have a hard time understand what scribble is what which will be particularly stupid if we have our own commonly understood symbols for those same japanese ones.
the fact that phago means eat is not commonly understood.
It is true english has "more" words.

Science has a way of defining "scientific" words the way they want them to be defined instead of the way it is commonly used in casual everyday life. it is important in science (as well as law and a few other disciplines) to have their own words striclty defined and only those communities can change the definitions.
its only important for tradition, to have the words 'look' scientific and 'sound' intelligent. sounding and lookng cool isn't something we should sacrifice comprehension for.

Out of all sciences, biology is my weakest. Nevertheless it seems you are implying we give all scientific terms that got their names rooted in latin, english compound names and change to those. If the scientific community agreed to this, who knows how much it would cost to republish texts.

I dont know how much science you have studied or if there is a problem with people not being interested in science, I never read articles suggesting there is a problem.
well consider that % of the population goes into the sciences. and as a student i know science scares off a lot of ppl. I think that if it wasn't so concerned with looking cool it would attract more ppl and therefore lead to more breakthroughs and greater understanding.

If you want to do that and you think it will be successful and an easier system I suggest you do it. However, there are reasons why USA is still with a different measurement system than the rest of the world. The world chose to make SI units of measure.

i know its hard to bring about change, and i dont see it happening really, im just speaking on the ridiculousness of a situation where you have a country speaking the language of a country that doesn't exist anymore when its trying to figure out why your liver is about to explode.

just speak english.
I guess its easier for me to see the ridiculousness cause in nigeria there are schools that only teach in english, and therefore students not only have to learn alien concepts but learn it in an alien language when the teachers first language is igbo like that of the students.

Prolifical ENG
10-24-2009, 05:47 PM
its only important for tradition, to have the words 'look' scientific and 'sound' intelligent. sounding and lookng cool isn't something we should sacrifice comprehension for.

That isn't what it is at all. The reason is so the semantics aren't confused and someone calling something that it's not.

well consider that % of the population goes into the sciences. and as a student i know science scares off a lot of ppl. I think that if it wasn't so concerned with looking cool it would attract more ppl and therefore lead to more breakthroughs and greater understanding.

I graduated with a science degree, perhaps thats what I find it hard to believe. There are lots of people enrolled in science programs. These breakthroughs happen when governments fund their research.

i know its hard to bring about change, and i dont see it happening really, im just speaking on the ridiculousness of a situation where you have a country speaking the language of a country that doesn't exist anymore when its trying to figure out why your liver is about to explode.

just speak english.
I guess its easier for me to see the ridiculousness cause in nigeria there are schools that only teach in english, and therefore students not only have to learn alien concepts but learn it in an alien language when the teachers first language is igbo like that of the students.

Change happens all the time in science. ALL THE TIME. Its all about change when discoveries happen. You thread might be more directed towards biology. Perhaps My First Timbs can explain how the words came to originate through latin roots. On the other hand, chemical nomenclature is pretty straight forward. Physics uses many common english words if they were used prior. Whoever makes a new concept in science gets to name it. Its funny how the word "quark" came to be.

Huggasaurus Sex
10-25-2009, 02:30 AM
if all people learned science terms in their native language then it would be a lot more difficult for doctors and scientists from different regions to communicate and collaborate with one another. how will your igbo doctors keep up with the latest science if it's all written in english, spanish, and chinese? how will they be able to contribute to it?

TSA
10-25-2009, 11:03 AM
that's a relevant point, but at the same time a german scientist trying to relay something in DUH ENGLISH would have to do a great deal of translating into english. Even with the latin in place, translation of scientific concepts and texts is still needed if written by someone of a foriegn language, i dont see the point of translating it into a language that neither person speask

i'll take igbo as an example cause that's the language i know. If a igbo nigglet discovered a process by which cells caught on fire and called it Okwubainkiti Okwu-Fire, Ba-consumes Inkiti-something small(idk the word for cell but so im using 'small') and wanted to explain this to someone that speaks english it would translate into Cell-Combustion, which gets the point across well. If he says Pyronucliosis the scientist will still have to ask 'what's that' with only a vague concept of what it could be based on familiarity with the word parts where as with cell combustion the point is pretty straight forward and easier to learn.

not really pushing for a change im just saying it'll make things easier to learn for a lot of ppl that arre otherwise turned off to science.

Inspectah_Dirk
10-25-2009, 11:36 AM
if all people learned science terms in their native language then it would be a lot more difficult for doctors and scientists from different regions to communicate and collaborate with one another. how will your igbo doctors keep up with the latest science if it's all written in english, spanish, and chinese? how will they be able to contribute to it?

This right here is the reason they have this system probably. Now one could say everything should be in english, since that's the biggest language, but then why change it? Because then everything will be in one language as well, only a different one. So that will only make it easier for you Americans and the English. So changing it will be pointless.
And we can argue about this, which isn't bad, but it will never change anyway, so it's kinda pointless.

Prolifical ENG
10-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Who knows, most of the really long latin rooted words are in medicine and life sciences. If a new branch of a similar science is made, perhaps the people involved in it choose igboo roots.

Nevertheless the more common technical terms always do have an english translation depending if its verbally discussed often.

TSA
10-25-2009, 07:20 PM
so just use the english translation as the word.

vahacris
10-26-2009, 08:56 AM
i break it down to you.....
medicine stay with latin names to make medicine international. that way even if some albanian/uruguay or whatever else doctor made some research, or discover new cure, he can simply ddescribe it in latin names and every other doctor in the world would knew exactly what he means.....

this way exchange of medicine informations are much easier, doctors can use other ones knowledge, without checking german, english, or spain dictionary all the time.....

Uncle Steezo
10-26-2009, 10:57 AM
not everyone can "click-click-clack" as good as an igbo.

i bet "Lycosoidea Arachnida" sounds like a doug e fresh beatbox fill in igbo.