PDA

View Full Version : Religion and Culture

TSA
10-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Do you think a peoples culture values and beliefs mold their religion or do you think the religion makes the culture values and beliefs?

SL33
10-28-2009, 06:11 PM
religion is probably the main factor when it comes to the people's culture/ethics/customs etc.

JerseyIronman
10-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Chicken or the egg??

As someone grows up, whatever religion which is forced upon them obviously shapes their culture and values but if your talking about "peoples" as in a group of people, then its the other way.

The group of people probably form the rules/customs of the religion from their existing cultural beliefs.

It starts with a prophet like jesus or mohommed then they write a book about what happened and fill it with other proverbs and life teachings and it becomes the bible or the koran.

TSA
10-28-2009, 06:21 PM
i would agree, and im not asking for the heck of it i was just thinking about it and came to the conclusion that it's a chicken or the egg situation and idk.

cause how can religion mold the culture if the ppl didn't already believe that stuff to begin with causing them to make the religion, but if they had those views and values to begin with then did they already have the religion?

most religions don't have a prophet, only monotheistic ones from what I've noticed.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
10-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Religion is based on culture, culture is based on the environment.

That's why southern people are friendlier then northern people. Their environment is kinder and so they are more laid back. We northeners are bitter from the bad conditions and don't want to stop and chat. Then you have Russians. Russians are emotionless assholes.

I've never met an eskimo, but on this theory they're borderline satanic...

JerseyIronman
10-28-2009, 10:18 PM
^^

thats pretty true too.

Also I think theres a huge "buttery fly effect" massive chain reaction thing going on with with religion. Im mainly thinking about Christianity here.

Imagine if Jesus was never born and the whole New Testament thing never happened?

Of course the world have come out massively different. Idk im no religion major but im assuming there would be alot more jews. Rome would have never become monothiestic christians, the crusades would have never happened, the reformation obviously would have never happened. Its insane to think what our world would be like today. Would anything close to America exist?

So ya, i think religion has a massive affect on culture. Its really like the great catalyst that brings change and unites people and also makes people really angry and hate each other and fight wars. Its like the major game changer.

And like i said before religions (monothiestic ones) seem to randomly start around a guy who did supposedly did some great stuff and then they just build steam. And they take reflect and take the shape of their surrounding environments sort of like what Borz Head boy was talking about.

So I say that "Religion is based on culture, culture is based on the environment." but then "religion in turn greatly affects culture"

zooruka
10-28-2009, 10:27 PM
religion is probably the main factor when it comes to the people's culture/ethics/customs etc.

yeah religion shapez culture.

even in the most non religious christian cultures there rule of law and societies foundational moral code is based on religious teachings...whether people realize it or not...not to mention the customs of celebrating religious holidays like christmas and easter these are ingrained into the culture and nearly everybody practices it regardless if people follow religion or not .

peace be with you !

diggy
10-28-2009, 11:09 PM
Religion does not shape culture; culture shapes religion.

Look at how some religions deviate from what their scriptures say and how they (religions) adopt cultural practices that have nothing to do with it.

SL33
10-29-2009, 01:10 AM
Religion does not shape culture; culture shapes religion.

Look at how some religions deviate from what their scriptures say and how they (religions) adopt cultural practices that have nothing to do with it.

look @ european cultures. each and every one of them had been influenced/shaped by catholic/protestant/orthodox christianity.

religion had a great impact on people's state of mind even though we can't notice that on certain ocasions.

european peoples had their cultures even before christianity, but christianity made their cultures different and sometimes totally opposite from original ones.

it's a move from pagan/politheistic culture to the whole new culture/customs.

it's all about the customs.

diggy
10-29-2009, 01:32 AM
Those religions are about believing in god and doing good. Cultural practices on the other hand are not about that and are not influenced by it.

Huggasaurus Sex
10-29-2009, 01:41 AM
why would you think it's only one way or the other?

SL33
10-29-2009, 01:43 AM
it's not that simple, religion is not only the worshipping of God, it comes with whole bunch of elements. one of them is culture.

you can quote Jean-jack Rousseau, Immanuel Kant and Locke on that.

yout opinion though.

SL33
10-29-2009, 01:44 AM
why would you think it's only one way or the other?

ofc not. many pagan customs had paved their way into christianity and islam.

diggy
10-29-2009, 01:59 AM
it's not that simple, religion is not only the worshipping of God, it comes with whole bunch of elements. one of them is culture.

you can quote Jean-jack Rousseau, Immanuel Kant and Locke on that.

yout opinion though.

Ya, but I did not mention worship. Religion is practical action and living. Yes, it does contain cultural elements, but does not influence culture.

Our culture is influenced by interest groups. It is based on economics and power.

ALCATRAZ
10-29-2009, 01:59 AM
the black man in 2009? yeah, he's still god

Visionz
10-29-2009, 02:01 AM
look @ european cultures. each and every one of them had been influenced/shaped by catholic/protestant/orthodox christianity.

religion had a great impact on people's state of mind even though we can't notice that on certain ocasions.

european peoples had their cultures even before christianity, but christianity made their cultures different and sometimes totally opposite from original ones.

it's a move from pagan/politheistic culture to the whole new culture/customs.

it's all about the customs.
yet christmas is celebrated at the time of the winter solstice, a time that does not coorelate with the stories in the bible.

religion and culture are intertwined and always have been. Where does one end and the other begin? Beliefs become religion over time, so whichever you think equates to a small scale is what comes first.