PDA

View Full Version : Best P-Funk Album (Not stepped on)

Longbongcilvaringz
11-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Nominate the best Parliament Or Funkadelic album

Maybe one as underrated.

And maybe another that just missed out.

You can even include solos if you want.

For me it be:

Best:

Funkadelic - Standing on the Verge of Getting It On

Because:

- Encompasses everything P-Funk was about and most of their sound.
- Has some of the dopest P-Funk tracks ever.
- Probably best album cover.
- The profundity dropped on Good Thoughts, Bad Thoughts over some serious solo work.

http://images.uulyrics.com/cover/f/funkadelic/album-standing-on-the-verge-of-getting-it-on.jpg

Underrated personal favorite:

Parliament - Osmium

http://www.psychprog.com/img/img103189.jpg

Bits of gospel and folk with some undeniable fonk.

Moonshine Heather, I Call My Baby Pussycat and The Silent Boatman cause fusions to occur.

Number two would have been:

Parliament - Mothership Connection

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq33/anc282/mothership.jpg

Because of its interplanetaryfunksmanship and because it's hard.

Still my favourite P-Funk vid:

6UrWrhqMoSg

I expect Maggot Brain and One Nation Under... will get some love.

Not going to bother with a poll, too many albums and shit... just list them.

LORD NOSE
11-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Between

"The Mothership Connection"

and

"The Clones of Funkenstein"

Longbongcilvaringz
11-03-2009, 11:19 AM
I Wanna Know If It's Good To You would probably be the raddest track other than the ones i listed.

LGIzEh8Jsdw

Album version is 6 minutes, and heavier.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-03-2009, 11:47 AM
prince can do anything
MkivGULndck

and as this is a george clinton thread you gotta post this track with the best funk based hiphop group, even though this track isnt stricly p funk
ILim84Srfn8

Longbongcilvaringz
11-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Was kind of thinking just Parliament or Funkadelic and their members.

All good stuff though.

LORD NOSE
11-03-2009, 02:12 PM
singles

cosmic slop
one nation under a groove
do that stuff
knee deep
flash light
atomic dog
dr. funkenstein

another iLL album is Gloryhallastoopid

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Was kind of thinking just Parliament or Funkadelic and their members.

All good stuff though.

I cant agree with any thread about Funk that doesnt have a lot of Prince.

LORD NOSE
11-03-2009, 02:42 PM
P - Funk

not just funk

but P - Funk

Prince was known as a funk artist ?

lmao wtf !

Dr. Simon Hurt
11-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Knee Deep is classic, so is Freak of the Week...the Uncle Jam album is overall somewhat uneven, as is One Nation, although Think (It Ain't Illegal Yet), Lunchmeataphobia, and Hampton's version of 'Maggot Brain' are all dope.

My picks for best would be:

Funkadelic- Maggot Brain, Cosmic Slop, America Eats Its Young, Standing On The Verge of Getting It On

Parliament- Clones of Dr Funkenstein, Mothership Connection, Funkentelechy vs. The Placebo Syndrome

I've never heard Osmium...some of the song titles look familiar, I think they reworked some of these tracks on the first couple of Funkadelic records, as this album was recorded earlie than Funkadelic or Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow.

I have Clones of Dr Funkenstein, Motherships, Funkentelechy, Motor Booty, Gloryhallastoopid, Trombipulation, Standing On The Verge..., Cosmic Slop, One Nation, Uncle Jam, Electric Spanking of War Babies, and Computer Games on vinyl, as well as Brides of Funkenstein, Parlet, and Aaah...the name is Bootsy Baby.

Electric Spanking... is underrated, but clearly in the late 70s, early 80s they were tapering off.

oDoUoSoKo
11-03-2009, 03:29 PM
damn...how is Lets take it to the stage not their best? answer? it is....i was gonna say standing on the verge.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-03-2009, 03:35 PM
P - Funk

not just funk

but P - Funk

lmao wtf !

Wow you really are an ignorant person, musically. Ive noticed this alot.

Prince not funk, hahahaahahahaahahahahahaha

who is this guy, what a fool. Prince IS Funk, just as Rick James IS funk.

P Funk just stands for Pure Funk, or Parliment Funk. Your a fool.

oDoUoSoKo
11-03-2009, 03:36 PM
seriously tho..im a little taken back by how under appreciated this album is....its, well it just is...

http://www.onlyfunk.com/Affiches/Funkadelic/Oeuvre/Let's%20Take%20It%20to%20the%20Stage.jpg

def. best cover too..eloels.

NAHzj71EUu4

cant find get off your ass....but thats my fav. track, along with Be My Beach.....honourable mentions...album wise

Chocolate City
One Nation
Standing on the verge
and duh..mothership.

oDoUoSoKo
11-03-2009, 03:37 PM

i think bateman was refering specifically to Parliament-Funkadelic tho....tho i am a prince fan too.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-03-2009, 04:52 PM
i was talking to Sunny Winters

Because he just said Prince wasnt funk hahahaaha

LORD NOSE
11-03-2009, 06:04 PM

me - musically - i'm your god - i'm serious too

i was talking to Sunny Winters

Because he just said Prince wasnt funk hahahaaha

i asked if prince was known as a funk artist - as i seen it - and i've seen it well - prince wasn't considered a funk artist - and r&b,rock,and pop artist before a straight up funk artist -

do you know the difference between r&b,rock,pop, and funk ?

how old were you when purple rain came out ?

3 ?

dun - in the 80's, i was prince - had an electric guitar and all -

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-03-2009, 06:12 PM
prince wasn't considered a funk artist - -

LMAO

idk what your trying to prove but your clearly going way overboard with it. prince obviously crossed into many genres with ease. we all know this. this doesnt make him not a funk artist though.

its not even up for debate as usual with Sunny this whole thing is fucking ridiculous as being a white NOI member or any NOI member

LORD NOSE
11-03-2009, 06:23 PM
yeah - prince probably could easily make a country album - is prince considered a country artist ?

do you even think before you decide to get into these talks with me ?

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-03-2009, 06:31 PM
No because hes never made a country album, so why would anyone call him a country artist.

Meanwhile a huge percentage of his music has either been based on Funk or has been actually Funk, he is widely labelled as a funk artist and no biography of Prince would not have his funk work omitted. As hes one of the greatest funk musicians of all time.

You are drawing a total blank here this is totally ridiculous to even argue, Prince not being a funk artist.

You are clearly clueless as to what defines what Funk is. Because Prince is the embodyment of the genre IMO.

Funk de-emphasizes melody (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melody) and harmony (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmony) and brings a strong rhythmic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhythm) groove of electric bass and drums to the foreground. Funk songs are often based on an extended vamp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vamp_%28music%29) on a single chord (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chord_changes), distinguishing it from R&B (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%26B) and soul songs centered around chord progressions.This describes Prince to a absoulte T. Prince influenced Funk like no one did since James Brown.

And your a fucking idiot btw. Having to get schooled on Funk by a whiteboy from England.

LORD NOSE
11-03-2009, 07:10 PM
awww look at the baby

in your opinion - what songs besides kiss, would you consider funky
and again, how old were you when purple rain came out ?
if he was labelled as a funk artist out there, so be it

but in the parks - the ones of his that got played is Hip Hop -

but Prince would be considered R&B Pop before Funk -

djskillz
11-03-2009, 07:13 PM
My favorite would have to be Let's Take it to the Stage. My pick for most underrated goes to The Clones of Dr. Funkenstein. My close second for favorite would have to be Standing on the Verge of Getting It On though. Good thread.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-03-2009, 07:19 PM
what does how old i was when purple rain came out have anything to do with whether prince is funk?

haha this is hilarious. theres no way im getting into a "is prince funk" debate any longer, it would easily be the dumbest thing you ever did so ill save you the face. sitting here and listing Princes funk songs would be like listing metalicca heavy metal songs, why the fuck would i need to do that.

I cant go on with this stupid argument any more i think its lowering my IQ level with each post.

oDoUoSoKo
11-03-2009, 07:33 PM
props djskillz...

btw..pandemic, some reissumes of osmium have like demo tracks and shit...not actually part of the og album..like red hot mama..which is a wild version..eloels, the guitar is really dirty.

Longbongcilvaringz
11-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Pandemic, i think maybe you mean on America Eats Its Young.

I Call My Baby Pussycat is on there.

oDoUoSoKo
11-03-2009, 09:04 PM
o ya..that too.

DarkEXile
11-03-2009, 09:32 PM
I'd have to say Cosmic Slop or maybe Mothership connection.

Prolifical ENG
11-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Maggot Brain, then Cosmic Slop.

For Prince being P-Funk, of course his music wouldn't have been the same if P-Funk wasn't around and not considered P-Funk in the strictest sense since his music was a mixture of many genres.

djskillz
11-04-2009, 12:10 AM
I feel sorta silly for forgetting Cosmic Slop. I think that needs to be up there too.

Dr. Simon Hurt
11-04-2009, 08:07 AM
props djskillz...

btw..pandemic, some reissumes of osmium have like demo tracks and shit...not actually part of the og album..like red hot mama..which is a wild version..eloels, the guitar is really dirty.

ok maybe that's what i was thinking of...if i ever see this album at a decent price i'll buy it

Pandemic, i think maybe you mean on America Eats Its Young.

I Call My Baby Pussycat is on there.

No, I thought it was osmium...i am aware that the first 4 or 5 funkadelic albums have remakes of tracks they did when they were 'the parliaments' (just like joy division re-recorded tracks they did as warsaw for example)...i just recall reading osmium was pre-funkadelic material. if america eats its young was trimmed by about 30-40% it would be one of, if not their best, albums imo.

LORD NOSE
11-04-2009, 09:48 AM
yall are picking the worst albums lol

in your opinion - what songs besides kiss, would you consider funky

don't answer the question - it'll make you look bad

the albums that black america was diggin and the albums that Hip Hop was sampling most, are the ones i named - where is charles jones

the drums from "Good ole Music" was heavily sampled also

Sheep Shifter
11-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Does maggot brain count??

LORD NOSE
11-04-2009, 10:55 AM
hell yeah -

LORD NOSE
11-04-2009, 11:41 AM

P- Funk Stands for Parliment Funkadelic - lol

Longbongcilvaringz
11-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Sunny, relax.

This is just personal favourites pretty much.

Doesn't matter what had influence or was sampled.

LORD NOSE
11-04-2009, 01:01 PM
ahight

oDoUoSoKo
11-04-2009, 02:16 PM
[Revolt;1729300']Does maggot brain count??
hell ya

DarkEXile
11-04-2009, 07:45 PM
P- Funk Stands for Parliment Funkadelic - lol

Actually it can go either way. I've heard Pure Funk and Parliament-Funkadelic from members of the P and other Funk artist.

LORD NOSE
11-04-2009, 09:21 PM
it can aslo be Pee as in urine Funk aslo -

maybe you would know why - lol

Mumm Ra
11-05-2009, 09:04 AM
hmmm looks like I got some downloading to do today...

CharlesJones
11-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Sunny Winters, don't even bother arguing with Ghostlaced because he's a dickhead. Prince isn't a funk artist and your right about that. I don't know why Prince gets so much love from people because most of his music sucks hahahahahahahahahahaha. Purple Rain was his last good album LOL. His love songs suck but i do like some of his jams like Sexy Dancer, Let's Work, Sexuality, 1999, Little Red Corvette, Delirious, D.M.S.R., Lady Cab Driver, All The Critics Love You In New York, Erotic City, Alphabet Street, Raspberry Beret, Tamborine, Pop Life, When Doves Cry, I Will Die For You, Baby I'm A Star, Get Off. I haven't heard any of Parliament/Funkadelic's albums but i got Parliament's greatest hits cd from the library and it was pretty good. Flashlight song is my jam. I also like Bop Gun(Endangered Species), Agony Of Defeet, Aqua Boogie, Dr Funkenstein. I have Funkadelic's Uncle Jam Wants You album that has the classic party jam Not Just Knee Deep. That album sucks but Not Just Knee Deep is the shit. Can't forget about George Clinton's Atomic Dog song. Love that jam. That's the best party jam of all time. Much props to MC Hammer for sampling Atomic Dog on Pumps And A Bump song. Pumps And A Bump song is the jam. Ya'll can diss Hammer all you want but don't tell me that song sucks. I haven't heard any of George's solo albums. I wanna check them out. I heard a 90's song from him called Martial Law. That's a nice jam. I remember seeing the video. Bootsy Collins is gonna be on TV One's Unsung show this Sunday at 8pm talking about his life and how he got started with Parliament. I'm gonna check that out.

Longbongcilvaringz
11-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Charles, i don't know whether you have really examined Prince's catalog, and if you have, then that's cool.

But he has a lot of good material.

Dirty Mind, The Black Album and Parade to some extent, are all under appreciated gems.

Dusk, you mentioned Chocolate City being underrated, which reminds me that i never even checked it out.

I'll make sure i do.

I never really got into Clones of Dr Funkenstein that much, so i'll have to go back and listen to that. I think i even have the vinyl somewhere.

Another album that i'd mention as underrated is Free Your Mind And Your Ass Will Follow.

Maybe not many any standout tracks, but as a whole album i dig it a lot.

And as i said before, I Wanna Know If It's Good To You is a personal favourite of mine.

I should try and complete my P-Funk collection, i think i still have 3 or 4 studio albums to get.

I don't think Up for the Down Stroke was mentioned. One of the better Parliament albums.

The Goose is some of the funkiest shit on a Parliament record.

(can't find the full version on youtube, so this will do)

av2qWFNgOq4

CharlesJones
11-07-2009, 01:43 PM
I don't need to check out all of Prince's albums. I stopped listening to him after Diamonds And Pearls album. Like i said, Purple Rain album was his last good one. Even Big Pun dissed him on Fat Joe's My World song from Don Cartagena album when he said we been doing this since Prince was the bomb, when he changed his name and started making wack songs LOL. New Position and Girls And Boys songs from Prince's Parade album i like. Parade is Under The Cherry Moon soundtrack right?

CharlesJones
11-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Much props to Prince for bringing out Sheila E and Vanity. I love those women. They were so hot back in the day. I wish Vanity hadn't stopped doing movies. Loved her in Action Jackson and The Last Dragon movies. Her Nasty Girl song is the jam.

Longbongcilvaringz
11-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Dirty Mind was made well before Purple Rain.

It's up to you if you don't want to listen to his music, but it renders your opinion pretty much worthless.

It also means you'll never hear Sign O' The Times.

And yeah, Parade is the soundtrack to Under The Cherry Moon.

CharlesJones
11-07-2009, 01:52 PM
I've heard Dirty Mind album before and it sucks. Head, Uptown, Partyup are the only songs on there i like.

Longbongcilvaringz
11-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Ha, whatever man.

oDoUoSoKo
11-07-2009, 11:44 PM
ya prince is the man...and ya clones of dr. funk is the shit.

LORD NOSE
11-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Prince did make some stuff that i'd rather not listen to - and so did P Funk - Purple Rain is the only album that i could let play -

Longbongcilvaringz
11-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Yeah, he made some awful shit.

There's brilliant tracks in his catalog, to me anyway.

When you have that amount of material (same applies for P-Funk) there's always going to be misses.

CharlesJones
11-08-2009, 01:50 PM
LOL@Sunny Winters saying Purple Rain is the only Prince album he can listen to hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. That's his only good album LOL.

Longbongcilvaringz
11-08-2009, 02:11 PM
I wish you wouldn't post in this forum Charles.

CharlesJones
11-08-2009, 02:13 PM
Why? Because i don't agree with your opinion about the wack gay artists you listen to? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-08-2009, 02:16 PM
I cant even muster the energy to speak to someone who says purple rain was his only good album. Because your obviously so lacking in basic knowledge your not worth my esteemed time.

The fact that you said he "isnt funk" is hilarious considering hes a guy whos made several ENTIRELY FUNK albums. So what your basically saying is because hes made RnB etc records this discounts his funk work?

-The Black Album
-Dirty Mind

These are considered some of Princes almost entirely Funk albums, considering this is a guy who will cross perhaps a dozen musical genres in a single album, thats saying something. They are also considered some of his best work.

I dont really care that douches like Sunny and CharlesJones dont LIKE Prince, it kind of makes me like him more, but stop spouting your laughable ignorance on the subject. The fact one of you is a NOI stan and on rates Kriss Kross as one of the best hip hop groups tells me something about your mindstate.

I didnt even mention Sign O The Times, one of the greatest records in recent decades.

Longbongcilvaringz
11-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Why? Because i don't agree with your opinion about the wack gay artists you listen to? Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

No, because of the manner in which you conduct yourself.

It's entertaining in Gen chat, but personally i don't come into here to call other people faggits much.

I just want to see what other people are listening to and find out about new music.

You haven't even grasped the concept of the word "opinion" yet, so i wouldn't bandy it around like that.

Your approach to music isn't conducive to any discussion. You choose to listen to a narrow range of an artist's music, and choose to listen to a narrow range of music in general.

Which is fine, but it means you obviously have nothing to contribute here.

Get back to where you belong.

LORD NOSE
11-08-2009, 02:45 PM
lol @ dirty mind being a funk album - no one said prince was wack -

as for P- Funk..... De La Sampled Little country boy off of the osmium album

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-08-2009, 02:52 PM
all you can say is "lol @"

As usual, you have very little to ever back up your stupid ass claims, just like in KTL.

Dirty Mind is a mixture of genres, but is considered by many, as a Funk album.

What about the other 2 Sunny?

I thought a minute ago you were saying Prince didnt have any Funk songs even? Ive just given you at least 3 mainly Funk albums.

As well as the sprinkling of Funk songs all over his other albums, like Housequake.

Your a fool

LORD NOSE
11-08-2009, 03:01 PM
i asked you to name one prince song other than Kiss that would be considered a funk song - you listed none -

dirty mind isn't a funk album
1999 is not a funk album

the other one - i didn't hear - but i doubt it's a funk album -

call prince funk if you want - i have no problem with it - it was just surprising to me that someone would say that prince is primarily a funk artist - but you also think that bizzy bone is one of the top 3 Mcs of all time - the songs dirty mind and 1999 are not considered funk songs by those of us who know better

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Im not naming jack shit for you, your fucking idiot. I just named 3 fucking albums full of funk songs you fucking faggot. Your the only person in the world who would deny prince being funk, go and read the history of funk, go and type funk into google, everywhere will mention Prince at some point. His Black album is even stated as being the "funk bible" and lauched the Rick James "punk funk" genre.

Your an ignorant obnoxious and arrogant prick, whose sole purple is to wind people up.

Im no longer replying to your baffonery, your a clueless excuse for a man. Prince not funk hahahahahahahaahhaahhaha

Longbongcilvaringz
11-08-2009, 03:17 PM
I don't necessarily agree that Prince made purely funk albums.

However, 1999 and The Black Album are heavily funk influenced. I wouldn't have a problem calling either of those funk really.

On top of that, a large chunk of his music has clear funk elements.

The bass on the records Ghost listed, and many others, is indisputably funk influenced.

Head, for instance, isn't really a funk track in the end, because of the vocals and the chorus. Strip it down though, and it's essentially funk.

The following are the same - Partyup, Housequake, It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night, 1999, D.M.S.R., Lady Cab Driver, Daddy Pop, Push and pretty much any track off The Black Album.

Prince makes funks instrumentals into another genre because of the way he sings and his guitar work.

Isn't that the good thing about Prince anyway?

He makes his own genre.

Look, i don't even know why the fuck we're talking about Prince really.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Were talking about him because that weirdo nutcase from KTL keeps saying he isnt funk.

Maybe because hes partly white.

And he doesnt think white people can funk. Or something.

Idk, hes a faggot. But Prince is one of the greatest funk instrumentalists of all time. If anyone knew how to make a funk rhythem, it was Prince. Id go as far to say 80% of ALL of Princes work had the base funk structure around it.

Sometimes Prince would make baseless tracks, that had funk in them! Which is almost impossible but he did it because he understands funk so well The man IS funk imo. Everything about him.

LORD NOSE
11-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Im not naming jack shit for you, your fucking idiot. I just named 3 fucking albums full of funk songs you fucking faggot. Your the only person in the world who would deny prince being funk, go and read the history of funk, go and type funk into google, everywhere will mention Prince at some point. His Black album is even stated as being the "funk bible" and lauched the Rick James "punk funk" genre.

Your an ignorant obnoxious and arrogant prick, whose sole purple is to wind people up.

Im no longer replying to your baffonery, your a clueless excuse for a man. Prince not funk hahahahahahahaahhaahhaha

if i keep going will you bust a blood vessel ?

let's see

nothing prince made is funk

whose sole purple is to wind people up.

really

that's why i came into a P-Funk thread and demanded that prince get honorable mention - a P-FUNK thread -

nothing prince made is funk :no:

he has never ever made a funk song - and has no purpose in a parliment funkadelic thread

nothing prince made is funk :dead:

LORD NOSE
11-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Prince makes funks instrumentals into another genre because of the way he sings and his guitar work.

Isn't that the good thing about Prince anyway?

He makes his own genre.

yes

eggzacklee

Prince is beyond funk

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-08-2009, 03:39 PM
look at this fag backtracking desperately after being shown up brutally.

pat hasnt said anything there i havent been saying for 3 pagess

you lost fag

sit down

LORD NOSE
11-08-2009, 03:50 PM
prince doesn't do funk and never did

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-08-2009, 04:01 PM
bizzy is the greatest rapper to ever do it with a vocal dexterity and melodic undertones like non have ever matched

LORD NOSE
11-08-2009, 04:55 PM
bizzy is the greatest rapper to ever do it with a vocal dexterity and melodic undertones like non have ever matched

that's phuc'd up

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-08-2009, 05:17 PM
the fact that you, Sunny Winters, think that, makes me think so even more.

Mumm Ra
11-08-2009, 06:28 PM
bizzy is the greatest rapper to ever do it with a female-like dexterity and bitch-sounding undertones like non have ever matched
fixed

oDoUoSoKo
11-08-2009, 08:01 PM
guys seriously? eloels...cmon lets keep it p-funk...Prince def. utilized funk and made, pretty straight forward funk shit....datzit.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-08-2009, 08:44 PM
^ty

idk what Sunny weird obsession with discrediting Prince is all about, but he needs to stop making himself look like so much of a douche all the time, seriously, too far. idk if its just to do with the fact Sunny is obsessed with me, and because i started talking about Prince he had to disagree but whatever, shits pathetic

Im seriously in here argueing whether Prince makes funk music, wtf, fucking embarassing

KIND
11-09-2009, 12:37 AM
lets keep it p-funk

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oGg-5rClQbo/Rmz5vSvPu9I/AAAAAAAABbI/Lz4sxr2mVzY/s400/Hardcore+Jollies+.jpg

Hardcore Jollies is my fav underrated PFunk album
"dedicated to the guitar players of the world" as it reads in the liner notes. This was the last album to feature Eddie Hazel heavily. the title track is beyond amazing & "coming round the mountain" goes hard too. there are a couple tracks that r ok, but overall its still that pure uncut...the bomb

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KqndcpjQSek/SJO-6UPnDKI/AAAAAAAAGXY/q7YbHplIDX4/s400/BOOTSY80.jpeg

Its Bootsy Bitch!
Need I say more?
Catfish, Gary Shider, & Kidd Funkadelic laid down some of the sickest rhythm guitar ever

http://image.allmusicimport.com/sdimage/disk6/658911.jpg

Only live recording of Eddie playing Maggot Brain from that era. As powerful as this recording is its crazy because they had jus got a new drummer & rhythm guitar player prior to the show & they still tear the roof off

Standing on the Verge of Getting It On
-Eddie just got outta jail & was on a warpath.

Funkentelechy Vs. the Placebo Syndrome
-Speechless

These 5 LPs stand out to me but everything PFunk related from 1970-81 is some of the best music created

oh yeah also
http://thefunkshow.com/joomla/images/stories/funkadelic_toys.jpg

This recently released jewel is pretty fuckn' ill
Recorded between 70-74 with the original band line up

No disrespect but fuck yo favorite band. PFunk in there prime was the greatest band in the land

Longbongcilvaringz
11-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Nice picks.

Stretchin Out is definitely worthy.

I only have one live P-Funk album, i'm pretty sure it's Houston 1975 or 1976.

It's really good.

Those live shows with Glen Goins are amazing.

LORD NOSE
11-09-2009, 06:27 AM
... and made, pretty straight forward funk shit....datzit.

like what ?

idk what Sunny weird obsession with discrediting Prince is all about,

i'm not discrediting prince - i'm giving him more props by saying that he isn't a funk artist - bizzy bone is a funk artist though

__________________________________________________ ______________

good thread though - there are many P-Funk albums that i have not seen before

Mumm Ra
11-09-2009, 06:44 AM
yeh - i haven't heard any of em before haha
damn glad this thread came up though - i downloaded like a dozen albums off isohunt.com and the shit added a whole other dimension to my music library

definitely gonna end up sampling some of these as well at some point ^O^:spin:

Longbongcilvaringz
11-09-2009, 06:52 AM
Good to here.

Glad this thread did something other than generate argument about whether prince ever made a funk record or not lol.

Mumm Ra
11-09-2009, 06:59 AM
haha yep.
omg im listening to this song out of one of the collections I downloaded:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ICsTZMHfsJY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ICsTZMHfsJY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
EASILY THE BEST RAP EVER

Mumm Ra
11-09-2009, 07:00 AM
its actually making me elohel multiple times haha

oDoUoSoKo
11-09-2009, 09:17 PM
u kno what, speakin of the black album...Bob George is mad funny to me..lmao.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-09-2009, 09:30 PM
prince has done a real fucking heavy job in keeping ALL his shit off youtube.

off topic.. listening to graffiti bridge today....wow.

oRL6M4ciY5w

oDoUoSoKo
11-09-2009, 09:32 PM
ya, im listening to The Cross right now..of SOTT most like...straight forward rock track hes done...far as instrumentation and production.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-09-2009, 09:48 PM
man that album, pure genius!!

http://vodpod.com/watch/547629-prince-i-could-never-take-the-place-of-your-man

oDoUoSoKo
11-09-2009, 10:47 PM
thats a nice performance..how recent is that?

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-10-2009, 05:49 AM
around 03 i think

Longbongcilvaringz
11-10-2009, 07:48 AM
Yeah, Prince has really clamped down on youtube vids.

Apparently at some of his live performances recently (back in 02 i think) he took 20 minutes out at the end of every show to deliver a religious diatribe (from memory he's a Jehovas Witness).

I'd still see him without a doubt.

Just listened to Sign O' The Times on the way home coincidentally.

As rock as that album is, it still has some straight forward funk, Beautiful Night for instance.

oDoUoSoKo
11-10-2009, 08:58 PM
and straight..fuck ur girlfriend RnB..Slow Love.

CharlesJones
11-13-2009, 11:28 AM
LOL@Mumm Ra dissing Bizzy Bone hahahahahahahahahahahaha. LOL@Sunny Winters dissing Prince and pissing off Ghostlaced hahahahahahahahahahahaha. 1999 and Purple Rain are Prince's only good albums. I don't need to listen to the rest of his lame albums. LOL@a newspaper writer dissing Prince's latest album last summer hahahahahaha. I remember the writer saying that there's only about 3-4 good songs on the album and it's a triple cd hahahahahahahahahahaha. A black guy i talked to who's a Prince fan told me one time a friend of his threw a Prince cd off of his apartment balcony because he thinks the album sucked LOL. I forgot which Prince album he said it was but he said his friend hated the album.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Idk what your talking about Lotus Flow3r was amazing, one of the best releases of the year.

CharlesJones
11-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Whatever. How many songs does he have on the album? Is there more uptempo songs than love songs? I like his uptempo songs but i don't like his love songs. I don't think Prince will ever top Purple Rain and 1999 albums. You see he hasn't been able to top those albums because you can't tell me the albums he did after those have been just as good. Plus he hasn't made a good movie since Purple Rain. Don't even get me started on that corny ass gay Under The Cherry Moon movie LOL. I watched about 10 minutes of it and turned it off LOL. Black dude Jerome who was in The Time with Morris Day was Prince's friend in the movie and he acted gay LOL. He even had on makeup LOL.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Its really just a 2 disc, the 3rd disc Elixir was by a female singer.

The 1st disc is like a 70s rock album, lots of Hendrix type riffs, the other one is more princes usual mixture of genres.

CharlesJones
11-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Well i'm gonna pass on it LOL.

oDoUoSoKo
11-13-2009, 10:24 PM
ya its not too good.

KIND
11-14-2009, 03:53 AM
A black guy i talked to who's a Prince fan told me one time a friend of his threw a Prince cd off of his apartment balcony because he thinks the album sucked LOL.

Black dude Jerome who was in The Time with Morris Day was Prince's friend in the movie and he acted gay LOL.

Y do ignorant white people always go out of there way to mention race? In both your post race didnt even play a slight factor, but yet CJ u had to say it anyway.

by the way this has become the worst PFunk there ever

Longbongcilvaringz
11-14-2009, 04:31 AM
Charles isn't white, you ignoramus.

You're the "worst there ever".

Faggit.

CharlesJones
11-14-2009, 12:15 PM
I read a book recently about Rick James life and he dissed Prince several times. He said he didn't like Prince and he thinks that he might be gay LOL. Eddie Murphy also talked about Prince in Rick's book saying that he wanted Prince to produce some songs on his first album but when he had a meeting with Prince, he said Prince was acting gay and sticking his finger in his water and licking it and staring at Eddie hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Eddie said to Rick that he didn't want Prince to produce some songs on his album because he thinks Prince is gay because of what he did at the meeting hahahahahaha. Rick said he laughed at what Eddie said LOL. So Eddie ended up working with Rick and he produced Party All The Time song for him.

I also read a book about Prince's life and Prince seems like a control freak. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis of The Time were producing some songs for r&b artists while they were in the group and Prince didn't want them doing that. So they ended up leaving The Time because they didn't want Prince telling them what to do since he was producing some of The Time's music. Prince also talked about how he met Vanity in the book. Prince said he saw her at a club and he followed her into the women's bathroom hahahahahahahahaha. He said Vanity was looking at him like he was crazy and she asked him what he wanted. He said he told her that she was very beautiful and he wanted to produce some music for her and he had a idea for her to start a group.

CharlesJones
11-14-2009, 12:18 PM
LL Cool J was also mentioned in Prince's book because Prince talked about how he would come to the movie location in New York to see Sheila E while she was filming Krush Groove. Prince said that LL had a problem with him because Prince wanted all the attention on him while he was there and he was talking to Sheila too much while she was busy.

Longbongcilvaringz
11-14-2009, 02:47 PM
Everyone says Prince is a control freak.

He's definitely a weird guy, i've watched some interviews with him where he talks like he's on another planet.

I don't know, maybe most people in his position would be attention seekers.

He's definitely less weird than some others that have been at that level (MJ is an obvious example).

CharlesJones
11-14-2009, 02:55 PM
LOL@you said Prince is a weird guy hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. You just now realizing that? LOL. My parents have a album by him which is his 2nd album that is self titled and on the back of the album, there's a picture of him riding a horse naked hahahahahahahahahaha. My mom loves him.

Longbongcilvaringz
11-14-2009, 03:01 PM
haha, no i'm not just realising now lol.

And you mean this picture?

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/wlcm2thdwn_2006/princehorse.jpg

haha

I think that is less weird than that other cover where he's naked.

And of course your mum loves him, all women do.

CharlesJones
11-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Yeah that's the picture i'm talking about hahahahahahahahahahahaha. I know what your album cover your talking about that has him naked. You talking about Lovesexy right? LOL.

Longbongcilvaringz
11-14-2009, 03:29 PM
haha, yeah that's the one

http://superbadassmom.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/album-prince-lovesexy.jpg

He seems to do a naked cover every 10 years or something.

The guys a maniac lol.

http://991.com/newGallery/Prince-Lovesexy-88-3473.jpg

oDoUoSoKo
11-14-2009, 03:42 PM
hes hilarious as hell

CharlesJones
11-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Prince is a weirdo. I don't see why so many women love him but i gotta give him his props for putting out Sheila E and Vanity. I had a crush on both of them back in the day. Appolonia was hot too. I saw this weird movie that Appolonia did with Mark Hamill who was Luke Skywalker in 80's Star Wars movies. The movie was about she was a voodoo lady and she had a affair with Mark while he was married and she started doing weird stuff to him when he broke up with her. The movie sucked.

oDoUoSoKo
11-14-2009, 04:06 PM
appolonia was probably his best piece of poon..hes still getting ps3 trophies for smashing that...

CharlesJones
11-14-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree. Sheila E and Vanity are hotter than her. Vanity is a church preacher now and she has a website. I emailed her a few times and she responded back each time. She told me she doesn't like to talk about her past when she was Vanity because it brings back too many bad memories. She goes by her real name now Denise Matthews. She told me she was coming out with a book called Blame It On Vanity talking about her past life but she said you can only buy it from her website. I saw some recent pictures of her at her website and she still looks good. I also saw some recent pictures of Sheila E and she's still hot.

The Hound
07-13-2014, 07:40 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eQw5lUzru9k/Tb1WPJmkWEI/AAAAAAAAAAU/AHS7b7zR4-8/s1600/guitarthangs.jpg

http://www.byman.it/mp3covers/fred_wesley_and_the_horny_horns-1977-a_blow_for_me_a_toot_for_you.jpg

Not necessarily the best but probably overlooked.

Mothership Connection is the best IMO

spammy sosa
07-13-2014, 07:57 AM
funkadelic - cosmic slop

0eR4aQrYozY

ShaDynasty
07-13-2014, 06:33 PM
I'll say 'Funkentelechy', I love that album still especially Wizard Of Finance.

And 'Aah The Name is Bootsy, Baby'.

Thread makes me want to revisit some of their classic albums soon.

THE MASON
07-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Cosmic Slop is probably my favourite.