PDA

View Full Version : NFL Poll - Greatest Running Back of All Time

V4D3R
11-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Let's talk about who your personal best was.
Me obviously T.D.

We can run down the players and what they did in the thread.

Terrell Davis
0zqGwA90cY0

Earl Campbell
tfJybuzkMT0

Eric Dickerson
2i10sc5tpPo

Emmitt Smith
KvEXqWcouBg

Walter Payton
WBk9YaTBo10

Barry Sanders
0TflnHlQMt8

O.J. Simpson
AoK_KGz1rHU

Jim Brown
b6cCXNBeVfc

beautifulrock
11-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Barry Sanders

Uncle Steezo
11-12-2009, 07:15 PM
Campbell's power is unmatched.

11th Chamber
11-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Jim Brown

Greatest of all time, I dont see how you can argue.

Second best goes to Barry Sanders. I had the privilage of growing up and watching him play, and he was jus amazing

Uncle Steezo
11-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Barry was a tragic case.
with a line, barry would have been the greatest.
but you can't put a ring on potential.

12weLvE
11-12-2009, 08:05 PM
The big bus... Jerome B. IMO.

Olive Oil Goombah
11-12-2009, 08:20 PM
the best i have ever seen was Barry Sanders.

In his prime, Tomlinson is as good as anyone.

11th Chamber
11-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Barry was a tragic case.
with a line, barry would have been the greatest.
but you can't put a ring on potential.

HAHAHAHA "Potential!?" He was the best running back of the 90's!

the best i have ever seen was Barry Sanders.

In his prime, Tomlinson is as good as anyone.

LT was a great recieving and all around back. But as a pure RB, I wouldent put him Top 10

V4D3R
11-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Tomlinson cant block worth shit...and he is washed up already.

Olive Oil Goombah
11-12-2009, 08:38 PM
well if LT was a fullback than i'd be worried about it.

Olive Oil Goombah
11-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Gale Sayers has one of the best highlight reels tho

B8l8pJcg7Ms&hl

Mic Tyson
11-12-2009, 09:05 PM
Franco Harris

Marcus Allen

Tony Dorsett

Surreptitious
11-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Walter Payton.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-12-2009, 09:18 PM
reggie bush

MaXiMus Da MaNtis
11-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Tie Between Payton And Sanders.......

check two
11-12-2009, 09:29 PM
Yeah, it comes down to Sanders or Payton. I think the edge would go to Sanders. He was the most unstoppable. Imagine how even more unstoppable he would have been if he had a line like Emmitt(overrated) had all those years on the Cowboys.

MaXiMus Da MaNtis
11-12-2009, 09:31 PM
videos are horrible by the way they dont even scratch the surface of any of Those RB's

baby jesus
11-12-2009, 09:37 PM
I Would Say It's Between Sweetness From What I've Seen From Clips And Shit He Had A Really Good Combination Of Elusivness And Power,

Jim Brown From All Accounts Was Just A Fucking Beast Man Running Against Boys,

And Barry Who I Actually Got To See He Just Broke Such Big Runs It Seemed Every Game His Cuts Were So Vicious People Use To Think He Had Double Jointed Ankles. What I Like Most About Him Was He Never Gave Up On A Run Always Tried His Hardest To Reach The Endzone He Wasnt Like Oh They Got Me Just Go Down It Was Like I'll Wiggle Out Of This Some How.

And I Dont Think Terrell Davis Should Even Be On This Poll I Could Think Of 3 Better Running Backs Without Even Thinkin About It For A Second. I Thought He Was Overrated I Meen Who Cant Argue With Some Of The Production He Had But I Never Feared When My Team Played Him.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-12-2009, 09:39 PM
videos and stats dont tell about the moment. you only get that from watching at the time and realising what it meant for so and so to do that at a particular time. thats what seperate the great from the good. being able to do it, in the super tight high pressure big time moments. u could have worse stats than another guy, but you were always the one to pull it out when it mattered. that means more.

like jordan.

11th Chamber
11-12-2009, 09:42 PM
And I Dont Think Terrell Davis Should Even Be On This Poll I Could Think Of 3 Better Running Backs Without Even Thinkin About It For A Second.

Agreed. He had 3 great years. 98,99, 2000. Thats it

Bobby Budknickers
11-12-2009, 10:01 PM
jim brown IMO.

in just 9 seasons he had 106 tds, 12,000+ yards

pro bowl every season he played

3 time MVP in a time where motherfuckers played hardcore as fuck

original gangstas

check two
11-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Too bad Brown was a little too 'hardcore' off the field too.

Olive Oil Goombah
11-12-2009, 10:06 PM
reggie bush

u would say him

Visionz
11-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Barry Sanders and I don't even thinks its close. 2nd place would be tough but Barry's whole career is practically a highlight real and imo a class all by himself. He would definitely have been the all-time rusher in yards if he played till the wheels fell off. I was at the game Emmitt broke the record and he said so himself.

Bobby Budknickers
11-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Too bad Brown was a little too 'hardcore' off the field too.lol yah

check two
11-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Barry could still come back now and break the record if he wanted to.

Visionz
11-12-2009, 10:29 PM
Barry could still come back now and break the record if he wanted to.

you're probably right about that Barry never really got hit. People were too worried about just tackling him.

V4D3R
11-12-2009, 11:05 PM
videos and stats dont tell about the moment. you only get that from watching at the time and realising what it meant for so and so to do that at a particular time. thats what seperate the great from the good. being able to do it, in the super tight high pressure big time moments. u could have worse stats than another guy, but you were always the one to pull it out when it mattered. that means more.

like jordan.
Yep like T.D. when it counted. There was only one year the Bronco's got upset against the Jags year b4 they won their 1st ring in 97 that year the Jags made it to the big game. Yep def could of won 4 rings in a row.He would of won 3 if Elway survived another season I'm positive. Because Elway wasent the QB the game Terrell tried to make a tackle on a Griese interception. He injured his knee the first time on that play:torn ACL.

Im thinking Peterson is going to join this club if they can upset the Saints in playoffs.

Im diggin deep into these stats now.

Dickerson is on the top when it comes to pure numbers. He is in the top 40 four times for single season rushing yards ever list.
Barry is there twice.
Terrell Davis twice.
Emmitt twice
OJ twice.
Earl Campbell twice.
Walter Payton top 45 twice.
http://www.sportscity.com/nfl/210584-nfl-single-season-rushing-yards-leaders/

And I Dont Think Terrell Davis Should Even Be On This Poll I Could Think Of 3 Better Running Backs Without Even Thinkin About It For A Second. I Thought He Was Overrated I Meen Who Cant Argue With Some Of The Production He Had But I Never Feared When My Team Played Him.
What do you mean?
Which of those RB's was Superbowl MVP on top of a 2000+ yard season?
I guess your somebody that didnt watch his beast seasons from 97 to 99.
I know he had a good offensive line but he still freight trained the best in the league carried 3 linemen on his back some plays and shit break free like Kevin Mack in the original Techmo Bowl.
Him and Emmitt are the only two to win

Emmitt 2 rings
TD 2 rings
Payton 1 ring

The numbers dont lie. But it really is what you remember about your favorite back. What you seen them do watching a game live - being there -

V4D3R
11-12-2009, 11:10 PM
videos are horrible by the way they dont even scratch the surface of any of Those RB's
Yea didnt want to sit through looking for their best vids.

Visionz
11-12-2009, 11:56 PM
but V4der you asked best ever. Best ever and a guy with three good years (now matter how good) just aint cuttin it. If you asked about "favorite" then its a different story. To say TD was a better running back than Barry is just homerism. He was the top one or two rb in the league for ten years and probably have three to five more in him. There may never be another Barry.

hectis
11-13-2009, 03:04 AM
its a tie between Brown, sanders and walter, but lets not leave emmit out of the talk of g.o.a.t

and I would put marshall faulk, thurman thomas, marcus allen and toney dorsett on the list before davis (am not saying he was not good, but they had better careers)

if it was not for injuries gale sayers would be the greatest of all time

maybe one day A.P can be in this conversation

Compulsion
11-13-2009, 04:01 AM
http://imagecache5.art.com/p/LRG/20/2046/COV4D00Z/barry-sanders--action.jpg

I think this picture is perfect since it shows his lineman on the ground not blocking...LOL

Doesn't matter though he was the MAN even w/o a line.

V4D3R
11-13-2009, 04:19 AM
Ok we are all mentioning other could of should of would of players. If Barry had a goof O line. If gale Sayers didn't have injuries. Don't u guys realize TD had the shortest career of them all and the most accomplishements. What if HE never injured his knees he would stil be playing. Did any other one of those players win Super bowl MVP along with their 2000+ yard seasons, nobody answered or argued because he is the only one. What if that knee held up?

hectis
11-13-2009, 04:51 AM
listen no one is saying he was not good, but you can't say he is the greatest, because he only played 3 years. that is why i did not put gale with the people I felt should be on the list, because he only played three years

trust me if any one of those two would not have had their career shortened their names would always be among the top

Visionz
11-13-2009, 04:54 AM
Ok we are all mentioning other could of should of would of players. If Barry had a goof O line. If gale Sayers didn't have injuries. Don't u guys realize TD had the shortest career of them all and the most accomplishements. What if HE never injured his knees he would stil be playing. Did any other one of those players win Super bowl MVP along with their 2000+ yard seasons, nobody answered or argued because he is the only one. What if that knee held up?
one man alone doesn't get the playoffs, superbowl etc. We're talking about a single position.

Think about it another way.

Jerry Rice
Joe Montana
Lawrence Taylor
Reggie White
Dion Sanders
Bruce Smith
Emmitt Smith
Barry Sanders
Walter Payton

how many times where these guys on the Hall of Fame ballot before they got inducted?

Come Honor Face
11-13-2009, 05:16 AM
lol @ Ghostlaced pickin Reggie Bush! He's the 3rd string RB on his team! Tough question here.

Greatest career = Walter Payton

Greatest that never got the chance to prove it = Bo Jackson

Current RB's that could end up in this conversation = Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson

Barry Sanders was also incredible.

Olive Oil Goombah
11-13-2009, 06:04 AM
this dude said chris johnson...LOL

Come Honor Face
11-13-2009, 08:58 AM
this dude said chris johnson...LOL

You're right, I mean it's not like he's gonna set the NFL record for most 50+yard runs in season, and has the highest yards per carry for a NFL rushing leader after 8 games since the NFL/AFL merger. Oh wait..........

Remember your quote above 5 years from now Nicky. I did say "could end up in this conversation" Care to explain your opinion of Johnson, or were you just being an asshole cuz you're a Browns fan?

Come Honor Face
11-13-2009, 09:03 AM
BTW, some nigga said Reggie Bush, and you come at me for sayin Chris Johnson "could" be one of the best someday? Chris Johnson is what Reggie Bush was supposed to be, and isn't. Except Johnson is the fastest RB to ever play in the NFL.

baby jesus
11-13-2009, 09:47 AM
The Difference Between Davis And Some Of The Other Guys Is He Was Hit The Hole And Burst Through It Kinda Runner If You Took Away The Lanes Then He Couldnt Break Off A Run But The Other Great Running Back Where Able To Create Something Out Of Nothing. Dont Get Me Wrong Having The Vision And Burst To Hit The Holes Is Probably One Of The Most Important Things A Running Back Can Do The Others Could Do That And More.

I Always Looked At Him As A Better Version Of Eddie George And Compare Them Similarly. I Look At Someone Now Like Ryan Grant From Green Bay In That Same Mold.

He Had Big Production And You Cant Take His Super Bowls Away From Him But I Look More At Quaterbacks If You Wante Argue Championships More Then For Rb's.

Hectis Basically Named 3 Of The Guys I Was Thinkin About When I Said That I Could Think Of 3 Rb's Better Easily And He Added More.

beautifulrock
11-13-2009, 09:59 AM
reggie bushWell, here's somebody that never watches football.

Wu-Tang Forum Internet Poster
11-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Jim Brown was the most dominant running back of all time. AND he wuld have been even better if he gave a shit about football. Man amongst boys

And I liked Barry Sanders a whole lot but he certainly wasn't "unstoppable"

It was his big-play ability and occasional long runs that made him great, but most of his carries were 2 or 3 yards.

Dirty Knowledge
11-13-2009, 12:52 PM
John Riggins.

Olive Oil Goombah
11-13-2009, 02:34 PM
BTW, some nigga said Reggie Bush, and you come at me for sayin Chris Johnson "could" be one of the best someday? Chris Johnson is what Reggie Bush was supposed to be, and isn't. Except Johnson is the fastest RB to ever play in the NFL.

i made a comment about Reggie Bush you faggot.

Tedd Ginn might be the fastest reciever ever to play but that dont mean shit.

Johnson is good, but its his second year.

Look when we are talking about ALL TIME GREATS, you have to have some sort of body of work.

How bout them Titans huh? i think they got the same record as the Clowns

Visionz
11-13-2009, 03:47 PM
Jim Brown was the most dominant running back of all time. AND he wuld have been even better if he gave a shit about football. Man amongst boys

And I liked Barry Sanders a whole lot but he certainly wasn't "unstoppable"

It was his big-play ability and occasional long runs that made him great, but most of his carries were 2 or 3 yards.
he was a threat to go the distance every time he touched the ball. Him and OJ are the only backs to run for 2000 yards in fourteen games, yes it was a 16 game season but he only had 53 yards the first two games that year. If he would have gained 31 more yards somewhere in that 10 year span he would be there with Jim Brown as the only backs to avg a 100 yards or more a game for a career.

Wu-Tang Forum Internet Poster
11-13-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm not knocking barry sanders, and might agree that he was the most "dangerous" back of all time, and certainly one of the best.

Not too mention that he played on shitty lions teams, which made his accomplishments that more impressive.

Olive Oil Goombah
11-13-2009, 04:36 PM
its all subjective

hectis
11-13-2009, 05:43 PM
lol @ Ghostlaced pickin Reggie Bush! He's the 3rd string RB on his team! Tough question here.

Greatest career = Walter Payton

Greatest that never got the chance to prove it = Bo Jackson

Current RB's that could end up in this conversation = Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson

Barry Sanders was also incredible.

Johnson is a really good running back he is the best right now in the AFC

Bo was no joke if you Younger posters don't know check out this video and tell me of any running back on the list, who u think should be on the list, or who one day might make it on the list can play with the defense like this bad
8PBvOxicz-0
but for real its too bad they did not have the surgery they have today back then, he would have been great

what about priest holmes?

Olive Oil Goombah
11-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Jones-Drew would have something to say about that

Compulsion
11-14-2009, 04:51 AM
its all subjective

Exactly there is no 'right' answer. You can set up different qualifications and make lists, but in the end it is a matter of opinion. You do, however, see the same names pop up when it is being discussed, so it is kind of take our pick out of those five to ten guys.

BlackSmith
11-14-2009, 01:05 PM
No question its Barry overall, but walter was a beast and e smith was a workhorse lasting many more years than normal backs, but barry was sick to watch !

Come Honor Face
11-14-2009, 07:48 PM
Jones-Drew would have something to say about that

Yeah, nobody would care what he has to say though.

hectis
11-14-2009, 08:36 PM
of everyone on the list sanders was the only one who could make a 1 yard lose look like the best running play in the world

Art Vandelay
11-14-2009, 11:52 PM
i've been gone all week. too many to read through... terrel davis isn't even close to being a hall of famer. he shouldn't even be on the list. denver's O line back then was great. it didn't matter who was running the ball... (terrell davis, olandis gary, tatum bell, mike andersen.)

best rbs

1, 2 and 3 in no particular order.... jim brown, earl campbell, walter payton.
#4 barry sanders.

Visionz
11-15-2009, 12:58 AM
of everyone on the list sanders was the only one who could make a 1 yard lose look like the best running play in the world
haha so true (Sayers maybe being the one exception)

Art Vandelay
11-15-2009, 01:13 AM
the one arguement i have against barry sanders is that throughout his career, he lost almost 1,000 yards rushing. 1 out of every 7 rushes was for negative yardage. that doesn't help your team much.

BRONZBODY
12-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Payton...mainly because hes from mississippi like me and my old man played high school and college ball with him. but if Peterson stays healthy he will break the all time record(imo)

BRONZBODY
12-06-2009, 04:45 PM
no love for tony dorsett??? he was a beast too!!

Art Vandelay
12-06-2009, 07:34 PM
no love for tony dorsett??? he was a beast too!!

this is my favorite SI cover. so much going on in it. first of all, cornelius from planet of the apes is with some weird creature on the side. and check out that cheerleaders calf. that can't be a girl's calf. and look at her hair. it looks fake

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0712/cfb.best.player.numbers.1to33/images/33.tony.dorsett.jpg

Olive Oil Goombah
12-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Tomlinson is awful now.

He looks like Jamal Lewis out there

thatKid
12-13-2009, 02:44 AM
It's between Barry, Walter, and Jim Brown

I voted for Brown as alot of people put him as the "It" RB