PDA

View Full Version : Radiohead

theheavens
11-14-2009, 11:50 PM
I remember a few years ago some magazine (rolling stone?) had radiohead on the cover with the subtitle "the only band that matters." that might be pushing it, but goddamn, these guys are light years ahead of everyone else musically. they don't have the best lyrics, but they know how to make great music. I think only their debut album can be considered weak. other than that, it's nothing but hits.

I got some friends that are turned off by them because every music critic in the world pretty much bends down to kiss their ass. but they actually deserve it. this isn't nicklelback here.

Longbongcilvaringz
11-15-2009, 01:08 PM
I think they're lyrics are pretty good...

And yeah, i agree, Radiohead deserve whatever praise music critics give them.

It usually takes me awhile for me to get into their albums (apart from In Rainbows actually) but they are all great (as you said, apart from their debut).

'cheese' is probably my favourite rock track of the last however many years (if you consider it rock).

SID
11-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Radiohead is the template for all university graduate indie intellectuals who decided starting a band would be cool.

Martial-Expert
11-15-2009, 03:23 PM
radiohead are THE BEST BAND still heavily active right now, every album they released since the bends is groundbreaking!

Martial-Expert
11-15-2009, 03:29 PM
i cant wait till their next album probably next year because

1. you know its going to be a fucking amazing mind blowing 5 star album
2. you know its gonna be different from the last and experimental
3. yet you know you'll still end up loving it!

JamSix
11-15-2009, 03:59 PM
OK Computer is one of a very small list of albums that I wont skip a song on

oDoUoSoKo
11-15-2009, 05:32 PM
everyone heres heard twisted words..right?

Longbongcilvaringz
11-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Yeah.... as far as i know.

KERZO
11-15-2009, 07:58 PM
radiohead are a bunch of whiney bastards, listen to 'LORN' ya fucktards!

theheavens
11-15-2009, 10:07 PM
I waited to throw in my two cents about Radiohead until I heard what some of you guys had to say. that being said...they're the best fucking rock artists in the world today. ever since Kurt Cobain blew his brains out, Radiohead was given the title "the band to beat," which they still claim to this day. and fuck, they're better than nirvana anyway

Cthulhu
11-16-2009, 03:19 AM
I waited to throw in my two cents about Radiohead until I heard what some of you guys had to say. that being said...they're the best fucking rock artists in the world today. ever since Kurt Cobain blew his brains out, Radiohead was given the title "the band to beat," which they still claim to this day. and fuck, they're better than nirvana anyway

Nirvana was always way overrated.

ButterCrunchJoints
11-16-2009, 05:19 AM

The Black Keys > Radiohead in my opinion.

oDoUoSoKo
11-16-2009, 08:44 AM
lmao^^^^^^^^^

ButterCrunchJoints
11-17-2009, 03:20 AM
lmao^^^^^^^^^

ZOMGROFLMAO opinons other than my own LAWLZZZ

I would say that they are hands down the two most important Rock bands in recent history, with The White Stripes in a pretty far off third place, and Sigur Ros figuring in there somewhere towards the top too (if you want to consider them Rock)

What it comes down to for me personally is that both bands have two perfect albums but when you get to the second tier the Keys work, although less innovative, is just a little bit stronger.

The Black Keys
Attack and Release 10/10
Rubber Factory 10/10
The Big Come Up 9.5/10
Thickfreakness 9/10

Radiohead
The Bends 10/10
OK Computer 10/10
Kid A 8.5/10
Amnesiac 8.5/10
In Rainbows 7.5/10

Martial-Expert
11-17-2009, 12:08 PM
7.5 for in rainbows??? say what
and 8.5 for kid A lmao

those two 10/10 black keys albums seem to get average reviews from what i've seen.

but anyway there not even worth debating, its like saying coldplay are better

ButterCrunchJoints
11-17-2009, 01:14 PM
I mean Pitchfork said that Rubber Factory revitalized the essence of both rock & roll and blues as genres, and that "Auerbach's voice attains that archetypal blues fever that induced the birth of rock 50 years ago" but yeah they probably have a lot in common with coldplay.

Longbongcilvaringz
11-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Pitchfork in general is a complete dickhole of a site.

I'd say on occasion they coincidentally do give good album good ratings, but it's rare.

They're working on some other kind of criteria, based on blog buzz or something, than anyone else reviewing albums.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
11-17-2009, 02:34 PM
coldplay >>>> wu-tang

theheavens
11-17-2009, 03:50 PM
there's a pretty big downfall after Radiohead, but if I had to pick other artists that rank slightly below them, it would be...Deerhunter, Sufjan Stevens, White Stripes, and this experimental group called Godspeed You Black Emperor

New Hills 36
11-18-2009, 03:45 PM
So rock isn't dead? I must admit I gave up on it a while back. Radiohead didn't float my boat at all - but hey...

Round where I am you still see kids in Iron Maiden, ACDC, Metallica, Zeppelin t-shirts which maybe says to me that nothing recent has come close to these bands of old.

Somewhat Healthy
11-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Lol, so the type of t-shirt that the young people are wearing determines the quality of music of this era?

JerseyIronman
11-18-2009, 07:06 PM
ZOMGROFLMAO opinons other than my own LAWLZZZ

I would say that they are hands down the two most important Rock bands in recent history, with The White Stripes in a pretty far off third place, and Sigur Ros figuring in there somewhere towards the top too (if you want to consider them Rock)

What it comes down to for me personally is that both bands have two perfect albums but when you get to the second tier the Keys work, although less innovative, is just a little bit stronger.

The Black Keys
Attack and Release 10/10
Rubber Factory 10/10
The Big Come Up 9.5/10
Thickfreakness 9/10

Radiohead
The Bends 10/10
OK Computer 10/10
Kid A 8.5/10
Amnesiac 8.5/10
In Rainbows 7.5/10

dude seriously?

Kid A was one of the most important albums to come out in the last decade, it forecasted the electronic sound half these cool new bands are using today. As for Amnesiac, it was recorded at the same time as Kid A so its like the second volume to it.

In Rainbows is just an amazing album. I give it at least an 8.5

The Black Keys are cool, but lets not compare them to Radiohead.

oDoUoSoKo
11-18-2009, 07:33 PM
So rock isn't dead? I must admit I gave up on it a while back. Radiohead didn't float my boat at all - but hey...

Round where I am you still see kids in Iron Maiden, ACDC, Metallica, Zeppelin t-shirts which maybe says to me that nothing recent has come close to these bands of old.
how many of them do u think even kno the bands whose t shirts theyre rockin?

New Hills 36
11-19-2009, 03:24 PM
how many of them do u think even kno the bands whose t shirts theyre rockin?

That could be a fair point!

New Hills 36
11-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Lol, so the type of t-shirt that the young people are wearing determines the quality of music of this era?

Yeah - it could. Then again I could be talking a bag of arse!