PDA

View Full Version : Chan-Wook Park's "Vengeance" triologi appreciation thread

Buzk
11-29-2009, 12:55 AM
http://www.rowthree.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/VengeanceTrilogyDVD.jpg

When I first saw "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" about 8 months ago, I was blown away.
I have never really been a custom to asian movies, other then various kung fu flicks, so obviously I were a bit sceptical to this whole korean action / thriller / horror (whatever you wanna call it) thing. Needless to say, when i had finished watching the Mr.Vengeance flick I were truly astonished, and was left with only one thought in my head: how the fuck could I have been sleeping on this geniusly constructed piece of art for all these years?!

ETSnWNY8rZ8

short time after i got a hold of "Sympathy for Lady vengeance", and my anticipation was sky high. I was not disapointed, in fact, in my opinion, this movie surpassed its predecessor. I mean the way this lady's journey for revenge is portraited, her schemes, and how it all concludes at the end in one of the most tension filled and beautifully violent scenes ive ever seen, is just beautiful.

part of the ending:
0JTN_1NC3v4

and finally it was Oldboy's turn, which I had heard about before, particularly from a friend of mine who had been talking about it for a long time, but had never really got me to watch the movie. I guess this is the one from the series which has got the most attention in the media, atleast from what I understand. Yet another masterpiece, with some crazy violence and fighting. I mean, how is this not one of the dopest fighting scenes ever?:

Ufss5ot_vGE

and the final conclussion of the movie, the reason why Dae-su Oh is imprissoned by this psychopath, is just so wierd and crazy you cant help but to love it. how does one come up with someting like that? how does one think of something like that? the ending is so fucking screwed up haha, the writers definitely deserves major props for this, shiiit.

Chan-Wook Park is the king of this shit, Tarantino STEP BACK.(with all due respect.)

http://sellingcelluloidcells.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/park_chan_wook_web.jpg

Share your thoughts, opinions and anything you might have to say regarding this collection of modern day classics!

mUqnU9YF5eE

theheavens
11-29-2009, 01:13 AM
yup he's the shit. he made this short film called "Cut" which might be his best work. it's from the movie "Three: Extremes." less than half an hour but great stuff. and I still gotta see his new film "Thirst"

abanks47
11-29-2009, 06:04 AM
dude, nothing this guy will ever do will ever touch oldboy. I've seen that shit like 10 times and still find new shit every time i watch it. dude makes awesome movies and highly recommend all. didnt really like Ms Vengeance but ima watch it again. may have ust not gotten the point of the movie

SickSide
11-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Oldboy is my favorite, followed by Mr Vengence, Lady Vengence, was good, but slow.

RaftBoof73
12-04-2009, 09:47 PM
I watched brusters millions and coming to america this week. these movies are still funny as fuck to me. there was alot good movies from back then in the 80s and early 90s. Id rather watch this type of movies then most the new shit. anybody else remember any classics?

ironmantis
12-05-2009, 05:09 AM
I watched brusters millions and coming to america this week. these movies are still funny as fuck to me. there was alot good movies from back then in the 80s and early 90s. Id rather watch this type of movies then most the new shit. anybody else remember any classics?

You're in the wrong thread here pal, start up a new thread with all the 80's classics and you might get some discussions about it.

On subject; I haven't seen these films, but after viewing these clips, I will take a gander at these films to see what they're like.

Peace

Razorsharp
12-05-2009, 03:20 PM
you should also check out JSA, really good flick also, his new THIRST flick was pretty interesting i gotta watch again tho, but i liked it, however not as epic or violent as his vengeance trilogy as he wanted to make stuff his daughter can watch, from what i remember in the interview, i still have yet to watch "im a cyborg but thats ok"

but yeah man, props and respect for recognizing this korean producer, he is my fav. and oldboy is my fav foreign film. my dvd cover/sleeve is has been thru mad transportation hahaha

peace!

Buzk
12-06-2009, 01:31 AM
^peace fam. i've yet to see "Thirst". cant find a decent torrent.

Razorsharp
12-06-2009, 06:29 AM
^^ its out jus buy it! hahaha

i saw it at the record store today or yesterday, in select ones im sure, very select haha

thatKid
12-18-2009, 02:31 AM
just saw that "Thirst" too

shit was cool

abanks47
12-18-2009, 03:52 AM
thirst was dope, but pissed as fuck that theres no blu-ray release. just got done watching oldboy again.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
12-20-2009, 05:21 AM
I was up on sympathy for mr vengeance before old boy came out

that was some cold shit right there! i like the brutal realism in the story as in they all get fucked and there is no "hollywood" ending - he was like fuck any commercial tendencies on that one!

thing is Korea had this little golden age of really good movies that where both a commercial hit and brilliant - like USA had in the 70s

check out JSA for what I mean