PDA

View Full Version : Lupe vs Jay-z (lyrically)

The Grandmaster
11-29-2009, 06:00 PM
let the battle start

and plz no bias

cap
11-29-2009, 06:05 PM
hard to say cus one of them goes out of his way to be complex and the other one goes out of his way to dumb shit down.

i like both though.

oDoUoSoKo
11-29-2009, 06:16 PM
hard to say cus one of them goes out of his way to be complex and the other one goes out of his way to dumb shit down.

i like both though.
eloels. im not gonna answer this one.

Tecknowledgist
11-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Lupe.

i swear it's like you're blaspheming whenever you say Lupe has crazy lyrical skill. the boy is mad sick. just listen to streets on fire. dude will drop an entire song with an extended metaphor and it goes right over people's heads.

...i predict an overly long thread full of longwinded butthurt bickering

oDoUoSoKo
11-29-2009, 06:54 PM
thats too hard for people to understand apparently..i completely agree with u, but people always bring the legend factor up.

The Grandmaster
11-29-2009, 08:52 PM
ok but

oDoUoSoKo
11-29-2009, 09:18 PM
?

corky831
11-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Jay-Z in his prime vs. Lupe in his Prime?

I think its easy 2 say Jigga takes this one.....Lupe's nice....but i mean jigga is JIGGA!

corky831
11-29-2009, 09:37 PM
granted Jigga is wack nowadays and ill take lupe over him now......but not with both of them in their primes

MAYOR QUIMBY
11-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Neither rapper has ever been something i would cheer for. Their beats on the other hand, yes.

triPAUD
11-30-2009, 05:50 AM
Jay-Z in his prime vs. Lupe in his Prime?

I think its easy 2 say Jigga takes this one.....Lupe's nice....but i mean jigga is JIGGA!

cosign

RD Jigga> Lupe at his finest.

Lupe has potential to be better though. even though he's crazy lyrically, he can still come w/ more depth. he'll be a legend of this generation, and one of my mcs, but he's not quite there yet.

claaa7
11-30-2009, 07:28 AM
1996-97 Jay-Z, no doubt.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-30-2009, 07:46 AM
^Jay Z anyyear-anytime > Lupe.

Who the fuck is Lupe lol? What the fuck has he done in hip hop? Besides have one of the most homoerotic names in its history?

Has he had every single rapper on te east coast try to copy his style, his lyrics, his flow? Nope.

In fact, Lupe TOOK his style and flow from Jigga. Not to mention how boring he is.

oDoUoSoKo
11-30-2009, 09:15 AM
lmao? are you stupid? damn y am i even askin that.

oDoUoSoKo
11-30-2009, 09:16 AM
RqScH2CfYTg

angry!
11-30-2009, 10:48 AM
im a fan of both these artists so dont get all emotional when i give my opinion!!!!!

lupe fiasco cant compete with jay - matter fact lacey has a point lupe has patterned his flow and delivery from jay-z!!!!!

firstly lupes body of work is no where near jays, secondly lupe has never found the connection to the listener that jay found!!!!

lupes verses are layered, so are jiggas, the difference is lupe will have a concept track that needs to be deciphered, where as jay will have a concept track like "meet the parents" that reasonates with the listener off of one listen!!!! thats lupes claim to fame, his concept tracks, and jay has eclipsed any concept track lupes ever done with "meet the parents"!!!!

lupe is a great writer, but he lacks vocal power and mic presence!!!! he had all all the ingrediants to win big on his debut, strong production, great single, industry cosign, it still didnt hit big!!!! the general public isnt always a great indicator to an artists talent, but jay has broken through both artistically and commerically on a large scale!!!!!

the comparison doesnt make any sense, lupes cool but hes not a great!!!! another thing niggas need to realize is lupe was repackaged by his label to appeal to a particular demographic!!!!! the nerd angle was a creation!!!!!

when it comes to making hits, making classic albums, classic tracks, classic verses, classic guest spots, discography, live show performance, lupe IS NOT seeing jay!!!!

ALCATRAZ
11-30-2009, 10:54 AM
another thing niggas need to realize is lupe was repackaged by his label to appeal to a particular demographic!!!!! the nerd angle was a creation!!!!!

pay attention hip hop snobs!!!

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-30-2009, 11:05 AM
The nigga Lupe a lil sweet for my tastes.

angry!
11-30-2009, 11:22 AM
the funny thing about lupe is there are legions of lupe fanatics that love him for being intellectual and daring, that arent aware of the matieral he was making prior to being signed!!!!

this nigga was spitting like spice 1 on some gangsta shit!!!! if lupe was still spittin like that dusk would more than likely by warming some other dick!!!!!!

im not criticizing lupe, but niggas should be aware of the transition he made artistically in attempt to maximize his draw!!!!! he wasnt always the thinkin mans emcee, thank rejection and his label for that!!!

BornPower
11-30-2009, 11:30 AM
lupe fiasco cant compete with jay - matter fact lacey has a point lupe has patterned his flow and delivery from jay-z!!!!!

true, but in some ways Lupe has surpassed Jay's wordplay and metaphors.

firstly lupes body of work is no where near jays, secondly lupe has never found the connection to the listener that jay found!!!!

Album for album, Lupe gives Jay a run. Lupe only has two official albums. While REASONABLE DOUBT was the illest for that time period, Lupe's first album FOOD AND LIQUOR is a monument to the new breed of MC. (and if it's not, it should be)

lupes verses are layered, so are jiggas, the difference is lupe will have a concept track that needs to be deciphered, where as jay will have a concept track like "meet the parents" that reasonates with the listener off of one listen!!!! thats lupes claim to fame, his concept tracks, and jay has eclipsed any concept track lupes ever done with "meet the parents"!!!!

"Meet the Parents" is one song in a career of lazy rhymes for Jigga. Lupe's "American Terrorist", "The Instrumental", "He Say, She Say", and "The Cool" easily meet the low standard set by Jay in his prime and these are all from Lupe's first album.

lupe is a great writer, but he lacks vocal power and mic presence!!!! he had all all the ingrediants to win big on his debut, strong production, great single, industry cosign, it still didnt hit big!!!! the general public isnt always a great indicator to an artists talent, but jay has broken through both artistically and commerically on a large scale!!!!!

Jay was copying Notorious, Wu and Nas and he did it poorly. Lupe's Debut was better than Jigga's own AND Jay didn't get nominated for the awards that Lupe did, so who's really better? Album sales do not make you a great rapper. PERIOD.

the comparison doesnt make any sense, lupes cool but hes not a great!!!! another thing niggas need to realize is lupe was repackaged by his label to appeal to a particular demographic!!!!! the nerd angle was a creation!!!!!

Jay repackaged HIMSELF to sell albums while Lupe's dubious corporate alliances attempted to repackage him so this talented but "confusing" artist would make them some money.

when it comes to making hits, making classic albums, classic tracks, classic verses, classic guest spots, discography, live show performance, lupe IS NOT seeing jay!!!!

and keep in mind that I didn't even quote any statistics from their second albums, cuz EVERYONE agrees that Jay's Volume One sucked AND he went to diddy's producers to get a more commercialized sound.

Lupe's THE COOL album was hot. PERIOD.

peace.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-30-2009, 11:41 AM
the funny thing about lupe is there are legions of lupe fanatics that love him for being intellectual and daring, that arent aware of the matieral he was making prior to being signed!!!!

this nigga was spitting like spice 1 on some gangsta shit!!!! if lupe was still spittin like that dusk would more than likely by warming some other dick!!!!!!

im not criticizing lupe, but niggas should be aware of the transition he made artistically in attempt to maximize his draw!!!!! he wasnt always the thinkin mans emcee, thank rejection and his label for that!!!

Really? I know he always said he was a fan of west coast gangsta shit and never heard a Tribe album in his life LOL. That aint a problem but Im like you do realise you got your whole swag from ATCQ right?

For real I was done with the dude when I saw him make songs about skateboarding and in the video it was clear that he couldnt actually skate.

So OK, maybe he was just using the Kick/Push thing as some sort of metaphor. But he was clearly making the song to aim it at a demographic of young kids skateboarding. That just strike me as being fake. Maybe its because I was a real skater myself since I was real young, somone who was into it seriously, as soon as I saw him do that shit, i just thought fake.

But I can see alot of people who werent deeply into skate culture but thought it was "cool" from the outside, could be into Lupe. I just thought the kid was trying to hard to look cool.

BornPower
11-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Really? I know he always said he was a fan of west coast gangsta shit and never heard a Tribe album in his life LOL. That aint a problem but Im like you do realise you got your whole swag from ATCQ right?

For real I was done with the dude when I saw him make songs about skateboarding and in the video it was clear that he couldnt actually skate.

So OK, maybe he was just using the Kick/Push thing as some sort of metaphor. But he was clearly making the song to aim it at a demographic of young kids skateboarding. That just strike me as being fake. Maybe its because I was a real skater myself since I was real young, somone who was into it seriously, as soon as I saw him do that shit, i just thought fake.

But I can see alot of people who werent deeply into skate culture but thought it was "cool" from the outside, could be into Lupe. I just thought the kid was trying to hard to look cool.

You say this like Jay's lame ass wasn't trying his hardest to be the best gangsta he could be by imitating others.
he STILL bites Notorious' lyrics and the man has been gone for more than ten years.

angry!
11-30-2009, 11:45 AM
youre vested in lupe, and dont care for jigga, which makes it hard for me to take your assessment seriously!!!!

jays strength isnt making concept tracks, but "99 problems" is another track that highlights his exectuion!!! i dont need to break the track down in written form to follow that story, the concept connected with me right away!!!!!

and how can lupe compete with jay album for album when jay has 11 and lupe has 2?!?! and grammys mean absolutely nothing in terms of hip hop relevance, they treated rap like a leper when it was at its creative peak!!!!

jay and lupe have one thing in common, they both take bits and pieces from other emcees and use it in their presentation!!!! take an objective ear, and listen to "pressure" - which features both jay and lupe. jays presentation is just better!!!!! period!!!!!

break it down however you want, saying jays the inferior emcee goes not only against popular opinion, but historical evidence!!!!

if jay takes from others, and lupe takes from jay, the source is typically the purest representation!!!!

BornPower
11-30-2009, 11:58 AM
You are badly mistaken if you believe me to be anti-Jay (I own all of his albums), I just want him to step his game up.
Hova said himself that he dumbed down his lyrics to double down on his dollars. I measure an MC by his lyrical content and Jay's is dumbed down while Lupe constantly tries to elevate.
And you quote one song (Pressure) to prove Jay's lyrical superiority?
:nonono::nonono::nonono:
you must not have really listened to the lyrics to that song.
Verse for verse, Jay would come up lacking.
I already pointed out that Lupe only has 2 albums and that only gives Lupe room for improvement while Jay is on his downward spiral.

The Cool>BluePrint 3

my opinion though.

peace

BornPower
11-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Yeah, uhh
And so it seems that I'm, sewing jeans
And, 1st and 15 is just a sewing machine
So I, cut the pattern and I, sew in seams
And, button in this hustling then publically I'm Buddy Lee
There's no bustin them and cuffing them is like
ushering in the regime, they want me to make Prince pants
But I withstand, I ain't gotten into that
A little big in the waist, two-pocket on the back
Call them Nu-vi's, O.G.'s covered in blue dye
Give 'em the game, that's like giving chocolate to the fat
Look, how you think I got here?
That's the same game that came through where I lived as a kid
in the bad luck truck and threw boxes off the back
Made me a ripper, deliver like river
Content a little more thicker, slicker
Yeah, and they said oil and water don't mix
Now they all down at the beach washing off the fish
Was Blackbeard 'til I brought the Roc into your ships
YEAH!

[Chorus]
It's my life, my life - everything I do I do for you
I do it all for you - everything I say you know it's the truth
I'll say it is the truth - I'll take all the pressure of of you
Take pressure off of you; I'll take, the pressure off of you

[Lupe Fiasco]
YEAH!
Uhh, it's hella proper (proper)
Cause it sag so low you can see boxer, like a boxer's
That's the way that the Family's pants worn
Then we slide, and try and put 'em on
The stones in the pocket'll drag you down to Davy Jones locker
Beware if you wanna Roc the Knickerbocker
Other nigga from the block what, they was selling O's
like Wheel of Fortune, of imported cocaine
just to feel important, it was +Do or Die+
They was tired of being "Po' Pimps," now for sure
That was just a product of my common sense
I guess, I was just guessing like the consonants
Momma said beware of what the devil do
Tell 'em that your soul's not for sale like the W's
So go ahead and pirate, the highest
cannons make you leak like pirated my shh..
It's no shh.. it's just shh like quiet
And big homey's out of retirement

[Chorus]

[Jay-Z]
Uhh, Young, uhh
So the pen is mightier than the sword my lord
My first picture was a line-up, now I'm on the Forbes
And I still remain the artiste through thees all
If you force my hand I'll be forced to "draw"
If the war calls for Warhols
Hope you got enough space on your hall's walls
I make niggaz murals, then escape the bureau's
investigation, out in Europe on vacation
I'm back for these puppies with the pound boy
(Blaow) Here's a round boy (blaow blaow) down boy
Sound boy, you don't wanna soundclash loud noise
leave niggaz paranoid if not paralyzed
Which means you can't walk in my shoes
Too much green you can't talk in my hue
Extend the team, nigga holla at Lu'
1st and 15th, that's my cue, I'm through

HALF THE EAST COAST SOUND LIKE RAE...

claaa7
11-30-2009, 12:08 PM
I bought "The Cool" a few months after it dropped, i've listened to it ONCE

oDoUoSoKo
11-30-2009, 12:15 PM
You are badly mistaken if you believe me to be anti-Jay (I own all of his albums), I just want him to step his game up.
Hova said himself that he dumbed down his lyrics to double down on his dollars. I measure an MC by his lyrical content and Jay's is dumbed down while Lupe constantly tries to elevate.
And you quote one song (Pressure) to prove Jay's lyrical superiority?
:nonono::nonono::nonono:
you must not have really listened to the lyrics to that song.
Verse for verse, Jay would come up lacking.
I already pointed out that Lupe only has 2 albums and that only gives Lupe room for improvement while Jay is on his downward spiral.

The Cool>BluePrint 3

my opinion though.

peace
this.

ALCATRAZ
11-30-2009, 12:19 PM
dusk just goes around cosigning people in hip hop shop cuz she can't formulate an opinion on her own lol

oDoUoSoKo
11-30-2009, 12:19 PM
http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac218/side86/rap/lesnyc.jpg

oDoUoSoKo
11-30-2009, 12:21 PM
dusk just goes around cosigning people in hip hop shop cuz she can't formulate an opinion on her own lol
co sign....btw, i can pull up like 10 posts of ur from the last few weeks that are just "lololol" co signs to insults directed at me..:loser:o:loser:o:loser:o

GhettoGnom
11-30-2009, 12:23 PM
^^haha, pac looks extremely retarded in that

Lyrically:
In their prime, Jay > Lupe.
Recent years, Lupe > Jay.

Who's the better MC overall shouldn't even be a debate.

Thworldisyours
11-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Aint gonna say one is better than the other but I always thought it was funny Lupe had to dumb his verses down for his collab track with Jay on his debut...

The same track was on the advance with just Lupe and it was MUCH better lyrically...

You be the judge...

This is the track from the Advance...

Z9ONqhOyU9s

This isnt the full version but its the best I could find on youtube...

vbYJI3gfroQ

And the Food and Liquor ADVANCE is one of the best albums I've heard this decade...

ALCATRAZ
11-30-2009, 12:42 PM
^^haha, pac looks extremely retarded in that

at least pac HAS a mural to look retarded in ... where are your favorite rappers murals? oh wait there aren't any lol

oDoUoSoKo
11-30-2009, 12:44 PM
http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/ODB_Mural.jpg/220px-ODB_Mural.jpg

.....MY NIGGA!!

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-30-2009, 12:45 PM
at least pac HAS a mural to look retarded in ... where are your favorite rappers murals? oh wait there aren't any lol

lol @ the thought of worldwide Joe Budden murals ahahaahahah. Maybe in norway though idk

ALCATRAZ
11-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Lol worst mural attempt everrr its just a nigger with odb hair ahahahahhaa

Sky Blue Bally Kid
11-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Nobody does story telling concept tracks like Lupe. That's what made The Cool such a masterpiece.

Jay just spits bs about selling rocks.

Ghost In The 'Lac
11-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Aint gonna say one is better than the other but I always thought it was funny Lupe had to dumb his verses down for his collab track with Jay on his debut...

The same track was on the advance with just Lupe and it was MUCH better lyrically...

You be the judge...

This is the track from the Advance...

Z9ONqhOyU9s

No offence but that track so boring i literally turned it off after about 20 seconds. Idk what reason anyone would have for lissening to that. And I had the food n liquer advance when it came out, i thought it was hot for about 15 minutes, then realised I was bored by it.

Ive got a better track called Trials & tribulations thoug eloehellz

fiViMRrVBz4

^Thats an example of someone with a creative flow worth listening too, and someone whos not rapping to be cool because you can look cool being a rapper i.e Lupe

GhettoGnom
11-30-2009, 12:52 PM

And how many murals did you think pac had before he died? ;)

ALCATRAZ
11-30-2009, 12:57 PM
And how many murals did you think pac had before he died? ;)

when your favorite rappers die they won't get shit, that's the point ... you're a biggie fan right? it took brooklyn years to throw something up in his name ... like 2 months after pac passed there were like 5 murals in NYC alone LOL

oDoUoSoKo
11-30-2009, 01:00 PM
"oh, he actually posted a mural of a good rapper who is dead....i keep getting owned...what am i gonna do now?"
Lol worst mural attempt everrr its just a nigger with odb hair ahahahahhaa
:thumbup:

corky831
11-30-2009, 04:44 PM
we need a poll

triPAUD
11-30-2009, 04:56 PM
some of y'all are comparing them like they're both at the same stage in their career. Lupe is only his second album in. RD was jiggas first, but remember he was at it a lot longer before he dropped that record.

And another thing, people sayin lupe got his style from jigga. He got his style from jigga and enough of his shit is nas too.

Sky Blue Bally Kid
11-30-2009, 05:50 PM
http://www.shoptradition.com/store/blog/uploaded_images/budden_beef_edit-754839.jpg

claaa7
12-01-2009, 05:14 AM
^^ hahahahahahahahahaha that's fucking incredible

triPAUD
12-01-2009, 05:20 AM
http://i48.tinypic.com/15ckqqt.jpg

Fixt

GhettoGnom
12-01-2009, 06:13 AM
when your favorite rappers die they won't get shit, that's the point ... you're a biggie fan right? it took brooklyn years to throw something up in his name ... like 2 months after pac passed there were like 5 murals in NYC alone LOL

I'm a bigger 2pac fan tbf.. My all time fav is probably G Rap, and I couldn't really care less if he gets a mural when he dies or not.

This doesn't got anything to do with Lupe vs. Jay though...

The Grandmaster
12-01-2009, 06:35 AM
Lmao this is what a guy told me

Jay-z is the goat cuz

Lyricism
Biggie
Jay
Nas

Albums Sold
2pac
Em
Jay