PDA

View Full Version : Is going to Jail a good business move for a rapper?

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I think if your a rapper going to jail has to be a positive thing for u your career. It the ultimate promotional tool other than dying.

What other line of work can you be sure you will go up in the world after an iron vacation?
Some of these guys even built their career off their prison time.

Hip Hop>>>>>

ricky
12-01-2009, 11:20 AM
well it depends on the time the rapper is doing.
long sentences can break your career.
it doesn't look like shyne's lengthy stay will help his career.
lil boosie may prolly never recover after his 10 years are done.

Jammin
12-01-2009, 11:32 AM
look at odb man

food for thought
12-01-2009, 11:34 AM
it depends on who checks for theyremusic.

a nigga like me dont care if u go to jail or not.

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-01-2009, 11:35 AM
boosie 10 years? I thought hes just got a quick 1 year to do? As for Shyne, I think hes a perfect example of how it DOES work. Dude has been constantly on the radar and talked about the whole time.

I guarentee you if he'd not gone in he would just be another G Dep, or Black Rob.

Project Pat did about 10 years, he came back and probably did better than what he wouldve done.

2pac <<<Enough said

Snoop <<< Before career started

Shyne << see above

Prodigy <<< Hype is building for his release

Krayzie Bone <<< Just as Bone got together

Flesh N Bone <<<< Major hype and brought whole Bone is back together to do another album

TI << More PR than he couldve wished for

Pimp C <<<< Came back strong but rip

50 <<< Before career started

Gucci <<<< Way more popular now nationally than before he went in

C Murder (released albums while incarceraed)

Project Pat <<<< did a big 10 year thru the 90s, didnt have an album before that

Mac Dre <<<<< MAJO SUCCESS in hyphy after his stretch, when most thought he was done

ODB <<<constantly kept him in the news

Styles P <<< stabbing incident

Tony Yayo <<<<< Big PR everyone knows he was in jail, white suburban kids love that

Ghostface <<<< see below

Cassidy
Jadakiss

Idk it goes on and on, but the point is all these rappers came back from their time with an even more succesful career than when they went in. even someone like Ghostface, who did a 6 month in 98 that most people didnt even know about, he didnt use it as marketing but somehow it charged him up to do some of hi best work and has gone on to a succefull solo career since.

food for thought
12-01-2009, 11:37 AM
boosie got a year then he did some dumb shit that made the judge angry.

i think it had to do with violating his parole.

so the judge increased the fags sentence.

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-01-2009, 11:45 AM
i just looked it up (http://www.billboard.com/news/rapper-lil-boosie-sentenced-to-four-years-1004041479.story#/news/rapper-lil-boosie-sentenced-to-four-years-1004041479.story), he fucked up with that electronic tag, musta strayed to far out. But these judges aint fucking around. Its not 10 years though, he should be out in 2-3.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
12-01-2009, 02:50 PM
good thread, I might say.

I'd close Kanye in a cell tho. Dude made too many crimes [in his career]

SL33
12-01-2009, 03:36 PM
well, i heard that TI is/will be put in minimal security prison, and he'll be out relatively soon, so it's a good look for him.

but gettin incarcareted in your late thirties and forties is just dumb.

also, i was always wandering how did GFK manage to get imprisoned after Ironman and forever?? he wasa already rich, wasn't he?

sdeblasi
12-01-2009, 04:26 PM
honestly i think in some cases it has definitely helped rappers PR wise, but long stints usually hurt and going more than once can ruin and delay a career tremendously (Ras Kass, Killa Sin)

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-01-2009, 04:33 PM
At what point do rappers actually start looking to get put in prison to prolong their career and maximise their earning potential?

can you see this happening? Has it already happened?

The hip hop market is about the MOST cut throat and competitive market there is. Rappers will do anything to get ahead.

If theyre seeing people like TI getting all this attention from going to jail for a year, and Lil Wayne, you cant tell me there is SOME out there thinking that could help their career.

When Wayne comes with C4, the hype will be huge.

zooruka
12-01-2009, 06:04 PM
At what point do rappers actually start looking to get put in prison to prolong their career and maximise their earning potential?

hahahah

I don`t think any rapper in there right mind would want to go to jail on purpose !!!!!

Also

did 50 got to jail and what for ????

and

What did ghost go to jail for 6 months for ??? I read on the net that cilvaringz actually said ghost did time for punching mase...was that what it was for or was it for or somthing else ??? I think I heard it was for a weapons charge or somthing...could sombody explain please.!!! , Also did ghost ever do time at the start of his career when he use to wear that mask because he was hiding out from the police.

peace be with you !

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-01-2009, 06:12 PM
50 got trapped selling crack and heroin to a police officer and was given 6-9 years. he somehow (snitch) go out of that sentance and just did a 6 month boot camp thing instead

ghost didnt go in for mase, weapons.

and no he wasnt masked to hide from feds, that was a myth. probably mostly down to being GHOSTFACE, but at that point ghost was pretty heavy in duh streets so other benefits too

zooruka
12-01-2009, 06:34 PM
50 got trapped selling crack and heroin to a police officer and was given 6-9 years. he somehow (snitch) go out of that sentance and just did a 6 month boot camp thing instead

ghost didnt go in for mase, weapons.

and no he wasnt masked to hide from feds, that was a myth. probably mostly down to being GHOSTFACE, but at that point ghost was pretty heavy in duh streets so other benefits too

Thanks for the info.

reps the man ^^^^

peace be with you !

Mcthuggin99
12-01-2009, 06:43 PM
meth got arrested a while back. its the year of the wu!!!!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/sunwontshine/4kf2nhk.gif

where's that gif of dave throwing up the wu symbol?

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
12-01-2009, 07:00 PM
it depends on who checks for theyremusic.

a nigga like me dont care if u go to jail or not.

word it's true

angry!
12-01-2009, 08:18 PM
goin to jail is never a good look imo!!!!!!!

odb... fried, nigga was completely scrambled when he got out!!!!

shyne... is now a practicing jew living in belize!!!!!!

prodigy... gained a lot of steam creatively now he gotta do a bid!!!!!

2pac.... theres a fair share of niggas out there thatll tell you pac got tested in the showers!!!!

black rob... cant leave crime alone the hood needs me!!!!!!!

beanie sigel.... certified jail bird!!!!!!!

dmx... one bid too many!!!! he had everything, now hes trying to fix fights in alabama for pay!!!!!!!!!!!

pimp c.... fucked up ugks money good thing bun knew how to hang tough!!!!!!!!

t.i. .... latest incarceration brought some interesting characteristics to light!!!! hes swinging deals like fuckin drew rosenhaus, snitch nigga!!!!!!

gucci is gonna get the chair before he gets a plaque, son is garbage and his movement is a fart in the wind it smelled for a while and cleared!!!!!!!

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Wasnt Shyne actually a Prince in Belize anyway or some shit?

But yeah lol, thread was tongue in cheek no homo.

I just find it funny rap is probably the only industry where this COULD be a bonus for you in a way.

I mean look at Yayo - would that man even have a career if he wasnt known as the 'guy from G Unit who was in jail'?

Or the whole "free gucci" movement. That shit got that fool alot of fucking free promotion all over the place, that no amount of money could get you.

lynskey
12-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Works for some.

Look at Max B, nobody gave a fuck when he went in and nobody gives a fuck about him now. Hasn't he got life?

Mcthuggin99
12-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Wasnt Shyne actually a Prince in Belize anyway or some shit?

But yeah lol, thread was tongue in cheek no homo.

I just find it funny rap is probably the only industry where this COULD be a bonus for you in a way.

I mean look at Yayo - would that man even have a career if he wasnt known as the 'guy from G Unit who was in jail'?

Or the whole "free gucci" movement. That shit got that fool alot of fucking free promotion all over the place, that no amount of money could get you.
his dad is the prime minister of belize or some shit. but his dad never wanted shyne. thats why shyne moved to the u.s

Meta4
12-02-2009, 11:03 PM
The question is how lame are rappers who go to jail for pr and brag about it. Before your career is different or still bein in the slum.

BIG D O
12-04-2009, 09:38 PM
going to jail is never a good look for anyone....

-IrOnBuLL-
12-05-2009, 09:51 AM
for rapperz that want to go wit their so-called "gangsta" or "thug" lifestyle
then yeah bein behind the barz rather than speakin the barz iz seen
az a good start of make good business or bein successful. period.
the only thing most dont really talk about iz "how iz it like behind the barz"
which give some of the listenerz to think that they haven't been touched
or see it az a road for them to be fit wit the trend. some rapperz did make
"goin to jail" a trend. but wat thei dont realise iz that in the long run
they only diggin 'emselvez deep in their holez. some so deep
thei cant climb out to see the lite of day (ex. C-murder)

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-05-2009, 09:58 AM
ive never heard any wu rapper boast about being in jail even though 7 of them are convicted felons. or even talk about it.

in fact ive always felt like theyve purposfully avoided ever mentioning it. only in recent years has rza started opening up more of their historys.

-IrOnBuLL-
12-05-2009, 10:17 AM
gucci mane wit hiz charcoal-black-scabby-crusty-azz lipz
goin back n forth to jail, maybe he likez it there or somethin lol

but az for the wu, some of them may talk about
their livez commitin feloniez n all but itz way different
from makin it az a braggin right or use that az a steppin stone to be
big in the business. atleast they try to hav rap fanz realize that itz not
cool. even if it'll in one way boost ur favorability, there still will be
a brick wall in front of u if u dont open up ur 3rd eye on time

if some rapperz get sexually harrassed or get thei azzez whipped
it prison then chancez are thei wont brag about it or even mention it