PDA

View Full Version : the paradox of human understanding

Visionz
12-02-2009, 01:15 AM
The actual meaning of truth is a slippery definition. Often it is hard to fully grasp as the guidlines will change depending on perspective. I think we all must be viligent to remind ourselves of this. Our own perspective and outlooks can define a personal truth and understanding of the world but that very perspective will never apply to the world as a whole because perception itself will always vary.

You can think you know everything and in turn learn very little or you can think you have much to learn and in turn allow yourself to do just that.

As always, the choice is yours.

UnequivocallyCorrect
12-02-2009, 02:46 AM
The actual meaning of truth is a slippery definition. Often it is hard to fully grasp as the guidlines will change depending on perspective. I think we all must be viligent to remind ourselves of this. Our own perspective and outlooks can define a personal truth and understanding of the world but that very perspective will never apply to the world as a whole because perception itself will always vary.

You can think you know everything and in turn learn very little or you can think you have much to learn and in turn allow yourself to do just that.

As always, the choice is yours.

CO-SIGN MUTHA FUCKERS!!!!!

Before anyone calls me a hypocrite.... "I have always been open to learning from WuCorp. That is why I choose the name "UnequivocallyCorrect" Because I am always open to considering someone else's "truth" and there-for I cannot ever be wrong.

You need to always be open/prepared to be wrong if you want to be right.

Uncle Steezo
12-02-2009, 04:04 AM
i agree.

what about universal truths? is there such thing? if so, what would yall consider a universal truth?

here a couple that i consider universal:
"change is the only constant"
"energy cannot be created or destroyed

Visionz
12-02-2009, 11:20 PM
i agree.

what about universal truths? is there such thing? if so, what would yall consider a universal truth?

here a couple that i consider universal:
"change is the only constant"
"energy cannot be created or destroyed

even these perceived universal truths can be debated. I think expansion is more constant than change. Our knowledge has expanded while human nature largely remains the same. When looking at the history of the world, what has really changed?

As for energy we'd have to fully understand energy itself for such an axiom to be ruled indisputable. As all obersavtional energy and celestial bodies account for only 15% of the gravity that's actually present in the universe can we (humans) really speak in terms of such absolute certainty?

UnequivocallyCorrect
12-02-2009, 11:49 PM
even these perceived universal truths can be debated. I think expansion is more constant than change. Our knowledge has expanded while human nature largely remains the same. When looking at the history of the world, what has really changed?

As for energy we'd have to fully understand energy itself for such an axiom to be ruled indisputable. As all obersavtional energy and celestial bodies account for only 15% of the gravity that's actually present in the universe can we (humans) really speak in terms of such absolute certainty?

Everything can be nothing. Nothing can be anything. Its a pretty deep concept that also begs the question "If truth cannot be verified how come we treat it as if it could?"

diggy
12-03-2009, 03:19 AM
Truth is verified by a few things; sight, sound, and reasoning.

Mumm Ra
12-03-2009, 06:05 AM
truth is the opposite of everything prof zooruka ever says

LORD NOSE
12-03-2009, 06:28 AM
we are all a portion of the truth -

there is what you know to be true - but the overall truth is much more

when people get together and put the puzzle pieces together, the full picture of the truth begins to be more recognizable -

not understanding self will cause a friction between the puzzle pieces
you cannot see your own connection to the big picture

UnequivocallyCorrect
12-03-2009, 07:38 AM
we are all a portion of the truth -

there is what you know to be true - but the overall truth is much more

when people get together and put the puzzle pieces together, the full picture of the truth begins to be more recognizable -

not understanding self will cause a friction between the puzzle pieces
you cannot see your own connection to the big picture

Poetic, but what if that "big picture" is some magic-eye shit where you need the whole thing completed first, then you need to see everything in a whole new light. Then you need to turn off the lights because its got an invisible florescent layer that appears in a dark-light. Then you gotta burn the puzzle it cause you think its giving you 18/20 vision. That's the ultimate level of understanding. To burn things... lol

UnequivocallyCorrect
12-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Truth is verified by a few things; sight, sound, and reasoning.

The point of the thread is to look past what you normally think is "truth" and come to realize that "truth" must be 100% correct and nothing can or ever will be 100% correct. Its a very very deep mental concept beyond our physical senses.

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-03-2009, 08:02 AM
As for energy we'd have to fully understand energy itself for such an axiom to be ruled indisputable. As all observational energy and celestial bodies account for only 15% of the gravity* that's actually present in the universe can we (humans) really speak in terms of such absolute certainty?

*I think you mean mass. As in E=mc2. Dark Energy and gravity are not the same thing. The gravity law is still constant.

And nothing is "absolutely certain" in physics any physicist will tell you that. There are fundamental laws though, like Newtons laws which have been proven through applicable experiments.

LORD NOSE
12-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Poetic, but what if that "big picture" is some magic-eye shit where you need the whole thing completed first, then you need to see everything in a whole new light. Then you need to turn off the lights because its got an invisible florescent layer that appears in a dark-light. Then you gotta burn the puzzle it cause you think its giving you 18/20 vision. That's the ultimate level of understanding. To burn things... lol

that's why it's called the ugly truth - burning it would just make it uglier

diggy
12-03-2009, 10:01 PM
The point of the thread is to look past what you normally think is "truth" and come to realize that "truth" must be 100% correct and nothing can or ever will be 100% correct. Its a very very deep mental concept beyond our physical senses.

What is the "truth" to you?

Visionz
12-04-2009, 12:51 AM
*I think you mean mass. As in E=mc2. Dark Energy and gravity are not the same thing. The gravity law is still constant.

And nothing is "absolutely certain" in physics any physicist will tell you that. There are fundamental laws though, like Newtons laws which have been proven through applicable experiments.

no, I meant what I typed. The amount of gravity that must be present to hold everything together in the universe as it currently exists is quite simply unexplainable. Everything that can be observed directly or indirectly; stars, planets, blackholes, quasaars, etc only account for 15% of the universes gravity. Dark matter is the term used by astro physicists to label their ignorance of its cause. Furthermore they don't really know why the universe's expansion is accelerating but for whatever reason this force must be even greater than the gravity that's holding it together and all combined known energy in the universe accounts for only 5% of the amount necessary for this expansion to take place. Their ignorance on what allows for it regardlessly is labeled dark energy.

Dark matter, dark energy alone don't have a definition as they're placeholders and things to theorize about in the absence of anything definitive.

My understanding of this comes from watching youtube videos of Neil Degrasse Tyson. As he's much smarter than me and an expert on the subject, I simply take his word for it.

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-04-2009, 04:06 AM
First of all Neil Tyson is a moron

. Everything that can be observed directly or indirectly; stars, planets, blackholes, quasaars, etc only account for 15% of the universes gravity. Dark matter is the term used by astro physicists to label their ignorance of its cause. .

Yes, its quite hilarious really. This is one of the funniest things ive seen:

Estimated distrubution of matter in the universe

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/080998_Universe_Content_240.jpg

Otherwise translated as "WE DONT KNOW SHIT" lol

dark matter and energy are completely made up and un proven to exist. My theory is that they are simply over-lapping 'parralel' universes, possibly in the 4th dimension (not time) which is what is causing the gravitational lensing of entire galaxy clusters.

lets hope CERN can help us out.

UnequivocallyCorrect
12-04-2009, 06:11 AM
What is the "truth" to you?

Truth is the never ending quest of a more complete understanding of that particular topic

UnequivocallyCorrect
12-04-2009, 06:13 AM
Lacy thinks she's in this thread but shes on another planet. lol