PDA

View Full Version : Albums you hated/didn't feel at first but then grew to love

Tommy
12-06-2009, 07:34 PM
We've all had them, those albums that at first you thought sucked but then grew to love. Be it someone recommended one to you or that the hype surrounding it was just so huge that you felt you had to hear it, but when you did you thought, "this ain't all that."; or, an album you picked up that you listened to a few times before regarding it as trash never to listen to it for ages until finally something clicks and you realise you actually love it.

For me, the main one would be Illmatic. Before you all gasp, this is when I was first beginning in hip hop so I wanted to start off with the supposed best. After a few listens I just couldn't see what the fuss was all about, until it finally just clicked. This truly is the GOAT. The same thing happened with OB4CL, Supreme Clientele, Operation Doomsday and Paul's Boutique.

Yours?

P.S. my bad if this topic's already been made (which it probably has), but I did a few searches.

Peace

Mumm Ra
12-06-2009, 07:44 PM
After a few listens I just couldn't see what the fuss was all about, until it finally just clicked
this happened to me with Wu-Tang Forever (my first wu album) and Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars

g_flex
12-06-2009, 09:06 PM
WU TANG FOREVER...could only bump to part 1 but today its my fav LP of all time

ALCATRAZ
12-06-2009, 09:26 PM
heavy mental ... first heard it when i was around 13 so i didnt like it for obvious reasons

GhettoGnom
12-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Cannibal OX - The Cold Vein, CLASSIC!

DR. NICK RIVIERA
12-07-2009, 04:13 AM
it happened with a lot of MF Doom albums and the Gravediggaz.

Krusha
12-07-2009, 04:57 AM
Nas - It Was Written

beautifulrock
12-07-2009, 05:17 AM
400 Degreez
Aquemini

Tommy
12-07-2009, 07:55 AM
I agree with Aquemini as well. This is why I think it's bullshit when people say, "you will know a classic album from first listen and it will instantly hit you", some albums take time to discover their brilliance.

Duco
12-07-2009, 08:34 AM
L.O.T.U.G - Here Come The Lords

angry!
12-07-2009, 10:11 AM
sometimes you gotta read a book at the right time in life to really get it!!!!!!

same thing with albums!!!!! im conditioned to give albums extended play from coming up buying my own tapes when i was a lil nigga!!!! if i wasnt feeling it at first it always got more spins because i wasnt getting that money back!!!!! the download age fucked up the way these kids listen to music, they treat condums with more respect!!!!!!!

Afficial_Nastee
12-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Albums I didn't feel at first but then grew to like :

Nas - Illmatic , when I first listened to it , I thought it was too mellow , not grimy , gritty and hardcore enough in my opinion , but after a while I started to like this album
Ghostface Killah - Ironman , I didn't really like the trumpet beats on some tracks (which I still don't) but now I really like the album when I look at the other tracks....
Brotha Lynch Hung - Season of Da Siccnes , I expected an album with dark Horrorcore beats , but this album has quite a summer Westcoast touch to it so that was the main reason why I didn't really feel the album at first , but now I consider it a classic....

-The A to the Z-
12-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Redman's Whut? Thee Album.

I figured that P-Funk wasn't my thing, but I came around quickly.

BGS
12-08-2009, 02:33 PM
gza vs muggs - grandmasters

really hated it at the beginning, but after a few months i started to feel it

zooruka
12-08-2009, 10:17 PM
This hasn`t happend to me much with albums because all the albums I thought where bangaz I thought that straight away..but it has happend to me with artists and certain tracks..for along time I wasn`t feeling nas or mobb deep and then one day I decided to give them another listen ( partly because I was running out of material to bang) and realised they made good music...also certain tracks that I was ifee about I have grown to like alot.... but usually I know what I like or half like when I first hear it but sometimes some joints take a second listen to get into them.

peace be with you !

abanks47
12-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Bakdafukup

enquids09
12-09-2009, 01:59 AM
I bought a bunch of stuff that I downloaded, but I didnt go right out and get anything. Stuff Im definitely glad I didnt go out and buy would be the Masta Killa and Rhymefest albums.

BGS
12-09-2009, 11:40 AM
^oh yeah the rhymefest album i bought years ago, don't even know the name anymore, listened to it once and totally hated it, never listened to it again!

THE MASON
12-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Flesh of my Flesh, Blood of my Blood

only liked a few tracks off it but now i can bump that album front to back easy

NAKHI the SOLORIAN
12-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Ready To Die

I really only liked the first song and thought the rest was trash.......couple months later i realized B.I.G. was in a class all by himself

Reasonable Doubt

....only liked that song 22 twos cause of the way Jay freaks the track also thought the rest was trash until I heard Cashmere thoughts about a year later in a banging system and listened to the rest of the LP in the same fashion and have loved it ever since

lynskey
12-09-2009, 02:08 PM
A long hot summer
doe or die

cap
12-09-2009, 03:15 PM
ive actually had more albums that i didnt like at first and then loved, then albums i loved right away... shit is frustrating.

claaa7
12-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Brand Nubian - "In God We Trust"
Large Professor - "1st Class"
OC - "Bon Appetit"
NaS - "Untitled"
Rakim - "The 7th Seal"

is a few album that comes to mind..

lynskey
12-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Brand Nubian - "In God We Trust"
Large Professor - "1st Class"
OC - "Bon Appetit"
NaS - "Untitled"
Rakim - "The 7th Seal"

is a few album that comes to mind..
I saw you or possibly anoter poster destroy that album in that review section so I decided not to get it, is it worth it? Much different from Jewelz, Word....Life?

claaa7
12-09-2009, 04:08 PM
^ lol, yeah i hated that album for quite some time but after multiple re-visits i really like the vibe of that LP. both lyrically and beatwise it's very different from OC's two first albums (who were very different from eachother anywayz though), it is much more polished and has quite a bit of commercial appeal. a few of the beats and lines are garbage-worthy but most of it are solid, have-fun and vibe out to music, nice to throw on while drinking imo. it's a funky record though, Buckwild incorporates alot of blaxplotation vibes and it's all based around obscure samples. definitely check it out, i think you'll either hate it or love it, it's better than "Smoke & Mirrors" and on par with "Starchild" imo).

RAW-TASTE
12-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Cannibal OX - The Cold Vein, CLASSIC!

yooo same here, i didnt feel 'cold vein' for the first 1-2 times i ran through it, but after a few more runs......shit is one of the sickest album of 2000's and still is. any head who didnt listen to this shit is sad, they missin out big

Prolifical ENG
12-09-2009, 05:57 PM
I never really hated ATLiens but it grew into my top 10.

claaa7
12-09-2009, 05:58 PM
^ lol, yeah i hated that album for quite some time but after multiple re-visits i really like the vibe of that LP. both lyrically and beatwise it's very different from OC's two first albums (who were very different from eachother anywayz though), it is much more polished and has quite a bit of commercial appeal. a few of the beats and lines are garbage-worthy but most of it are solid, have-fun and vibe out to music, nice to throw on while drinking imo. it's a funky record though, Buckwild incorporates alot of blaxplotation vibes and it's all based around obscure samples. definitely check it out, i think you'll either hate it or love it, it's better than "Smoke & Mirrors" and on par with "Starchild" imo).

oh yeah, "Bon Appetit" is also notable for having the official CharlesJones stamp of approval. something not many artist in this millenium can compete with.

Tommy
12-09-2009, 06:24 PM
oh yeah, "Bon Appetit" is also notable for having the official CharlesJones stamp of approval. something not many artist in this millenium can compete with.

That is a true honour. Even Illmatic struggled to earn it.

Polocash7
12-10-2009, 04:34 AM
the Listening - Little Brother. I thought all the beats sound the same except The Get Up. Man,I was wrong.

Aquemini- The LP was always dope but didn't think it was classic. I was wrong again

BambinoTTT EgWest
12-10-2009, 05:03 AM
wu-syndicate album...at first i wasnt takin it fully in because at that time i thought it wasn't wu enough, after a few blunts later and repeating this shit...damn this is one of my fav hiphop albums of all time, this album is more favourable than alot of the wu albums that released and its still too ahead of its time