PDA

View Full Version : God, People, and the Church

Visionz
12-07-2009, 01:00 AM
If you've ever sought out an understanding of God the word of whatever religion you're looking into is all you need.

True for every one of us, you will die alone even if there's people right next to you when it happens. Better you go back into the realm beyond death with your own understanding vs what was spoonfed to you.

For a long time bibles were only written in latin, greek or some other language that a mostly illiterate mass certainly wasn't going to pick up on their own. In effect this is a physical separation of god from his people and the church being the one to drive the wedge. Western society is not alone in this aspect, I'm merely using this as an example. Religion should be about your connection to God but more often than not (throughout history) it has been about the people's connection to the power structure.

Keeping things internal and acting in accordance with Your OWN beliefs is the only way to reverse the trend.

prof zooruka
12-07-2009, 01:25 AM
acting in accordance with Your OWN beliefs

firstly it is foolish to rely totally on your own understanding of God... That would totally dismiss the hard work that renown men of theology have contributed to religion who may or may not have come to there conclusions via divine revelation from God.

Also yes people are attracted to the hirachy of the church, but in no way does that deminish from peoples relationship with God...that is why God has given access to a bible for most human being on earth so they can see what God says for themselves and have a direct relationship with him..this is to prevent error within in doctrine and for people to come to an understanding of God for themselves...I dont know any church clergy that don`t encourage people to read the bible for themselves !!!! the only problem I do have is that people don`t exercise that right to read the bible for themselves and just rely on what they are told...when even the bible tells you to test everything to see if it`s true of not.

but it is ignorant to say just because people revear the church, preists ect... that some how the church is keeping people ignorant and from understanding God for themselves to keep some grip on power !!!!!

visionz maybe you should go to a church and see what the clergy do before you judge kid.....

peace be with you !

Art Vandelay
12-07-2009, 01:37 AM

just like religion, you contradict yourself. in your first paragraph, you tell visionz to not read the bible and form his own personal opinion, but he should listen to clergymen. then in your 2nd paragraph, you tell visionz not to listen to clergy men, but to read the bible and form his own opinion

Visionz
12-07-2009, 04:24 PM
firstly it is foolish to rely totally on your own understanding of God... That would totally dismiss the hard work that renown men of theology have contributed to religion who may or may not have come to there conclusions via divine revelation from God.

Also yes people are attracted to the hirachy of the church, but in no way does that deminish from peoples relationship with God...that is why God has given access to a bible for most human being on earth so they can see what God says for themselves and have a direct relationship with him..this is to prevent error within in doctrine and for people to come to an understanding of God for themselves...I dont know any church clergy that don`t encourage people to read the bible for themselves !!!! the only problem I do have is that people don`t exercise that right to read the bible for themselves and just rely on what they are told...when even the bible tells you to test everything to see if it`s true of not.

but it is ignorant to say just because people revear the church, preists ect... that some how the church is keeping people ignorant and from understanding God for themselves to keep some grip on power !!!!!

visionz maybe you should go to a church and see what the clergy do before you judge kid.....

peace be with you !

that access you mention didn't start until the 1400's, long after the dominance (and the doctrine) of the church had already been established. (where did the vatican get all that gold anyway?)

I could listen to the clergy but then I'd be a small-minded, judgemental individual such as yourself. Thanks but no thanks.

You and your words actually serve as a prime example of why I stay far, far away from any churches.

Koolish
12-07-2009, 05:27 PM
a lot of atheistic arguments come across like, "you're weak, i don't need a book to define my morals, i can handle that just fine", now i'm not saying you can't, but you're really thinking you're more than you are.

the personal discoveries of morals/life that you'll find have already been discovered, probably thousands of years ago, and you would have learned them had you just read something. some people read the Bible.

but even Jesus doesn't like people who claim to be Christian, and sit in corruption. i think a lot of people are worried that corrupt people of the church will go to heaven, because they're a part of the church. that's not what the Bible teaches.

theheavens
12-07-2009, 09:15 PM
quick fact: Bruce Lee was an atheist

TheBoarzHeadBoy
12-07-2009, 10:21 PM
A chinse atheist... woah