PDA

View Full Version : Sun RA

ballistic
12-08-2009, 01:14 PM
The Man, The Myth, The Reality

i know there's some heads on here that fuck with Sun Ra. albums i have from him so far:

Space is the Place
Magic City
Lanquidity
Cosmic Tones for Mental Therapy
Jazz in Silhouette
Heliocentric Worlds vol. 1 & 2

Kingkazim
12-08-2009, 01:16 PM
lanquidity is the only alb i have from him.
Hes a mysterious dude, his music gets me to sleep nicely

Uncle Steezo
12-08-2009, 02:29 PM
the dude is G.O.D.
i play some Sun Ra when i'm trying to get really creative with my thoughts.
his music is so free and organic that it seems to change every time i listen to it.

angels and demons at play is a sick album.

here is a great documentary about his life, the formation of the arkestra and his method of making music.
Joyful Noise (http://vimeo.com/3164191)

one of my fav Sun Ra songs
ptI-LpiHRI4

ballistic
12-08-2009, 03:15 PM
yeah i love that piece ^

a joyful noise?!? man i was so mad when they took that off google video and youtube. is that the full version? that makes me so happy. i was thinking about trying to find a way to order that on dvd or something because i couldnt watch it on the net anymore.

i like that part when they're on the rooftop decked out in this otherworldly regalia jamming out with june tyson-
"as-tro black, aaaaaand cosmo dawn!"
then sun ra walks slowly over to the mic as she sings "the living myth!" and the arkestra echoes her. ra takes the mic and does a little spoken word..."i have many names! names of shame (names of SHAME!) names of splendor (names of SPLENDOR!) i have many names...some call me Mr. Ra (some call me MR. RA) others call my Mystery (others call me MYSTERY!) you can call me Mr. Mystery (you can call me Mr. MYSTERYYYY)"
then the triumphant horns from a track off lanquidity break in and they start jamming...hell yeah...

ballistic
12-08-2009, 03:20 PM
btw how do you post a youtube video on here?

oDoUoSoKo
12-08-2009, 07:23 PM
super sonic jazz man..cmon..eloels.

ballistic
12-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Calling Planet Earth video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Un6pmJK_ZE