PDA

View Full Version : Granola Bars

Prolifical ENG
12-11-2009, 10:29 AM
I dont know when these started becoming popular, probably 10-15 years ago. I remember they were supposed to be some kind of healthy alternative snack but were kind of expensive.

Over the years manufacturers took advantage of this market and made cheaper production for demand and made them chewier, the main ingredient with most of them now is corn syrup.

In now seem like an illusion of a healthier snack.

I had one kind that this company Kashi makes...kind of dry but the nutritional value is better...I like them more.

Can someone accurately describe if thats what those granola bars were and became?

LORD NOSE
12-11-2009, 10:38 AM
product -

you have corporations that are using poisonous substances in their products

people started talking about how bad these substances are and they stopped buying -

so the corporations decided to put out a new product with the words "100% and Natural" on them - and changed the name of the poison that people became aware of -

to not use the poison would cost them so much more money - and it would also take money out of the morticians pocket - these corporations are cool with the morticians and coroners - they keep that money all in the family

Prolifical ENG
12-11-2009, 10:48 AM
There will always be smaller companies dependent on the smaller market of the few people who are aware of the poisons. There premium prices then seem reasonable for a company making things by "traditional" methods and costs for making smaller quantities.

When the growing season is over there are some that cant afford the cost of good food (produce eg) and settle for buying the cheaper junk food.

Last year I bought some real orange juice and only 1 place had it. The shelf life was like 7 days.

LORD NOSE
12-11-2009, 11:01 AM
as time goes by, these smaller companies will become corrupt corporations

Prolifical ENG
12-11-2009, 11:12 AM
It depends on their ethics. Sometimes they know they cant grow in size and have a reputable name for a quality product, they wont become corrupt because of how they are tied to the product. Some will and in the past many have become corrupt. It also depends when the ownership changes hands (future generation) if they will make that decision to sell out.

It can also depend on a country's dependence on a product. For example Scotland has strict regulations on how Scotch whisky is made and they are always tightening it up to ensure quality that they are known for. Same with some nations in workmanship (cars, knitted cashmere clothing, etc.) If they start slipping, their biggest exports are finished.

People seem to increasingly staying away from China made things, I dont know if they had to decrease production, I think it increased. Labels are beginning to say things like "designed in France" when made in China.

LORD NOSE
12-11-2009, 11:49 AM
and they can be made an offer they cannot refuse

some people are good though

good people can be corrupted also - we should trust someone

V4D3R
12-11-2009, 12:38 PM
the 2009 health trend was pomegranate in everything

- and by the way that is the Actual Forbidden fruit, not the Apple scholars are saying. But who are they, they always say scholars lol.

Look it up.

Prolifical ENG
12-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Yes, the pomegranate has been in for the past 2-3 years. A lot of juices from concentrate are advertising it. From reading the ingredients the amount it those juices are small. The juice itself is expensive. Even those small drinks of POM are like 5 bucks....the litre ones are like 11 bucks for the juice. I havent seen how "pure" POM is but it is a reference point from whats on the concentrated juice shelf in the grocery store.

V4D3R
12-11-2009, 12:53 PM
^Yea Minute Maid and that Oasis brand all jumped on that "healthier" band-wagon - stressing anti-oxidants and basically making you feel if you dont drink that your not getting proper nutrients.

LORD NOSE
12-11-2009, 01:01 PM
let's cut the middle man and get juicers

all that juice in them pipes being pumped out everyday without being cleaned.........

be tasting good though - taste allot different than the fruit juice straight from the fruit though -

let's pick a month where we don't buy anything - lol

Prolifical ENG
12-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Ive looked at those, and yes the pomegranate anti oxidant seems insignificant. There was 1 Tropicana one that had less than POM and mixed with blueberry (another significant anti-oxidant) and for 1L of that was as costly as the 2L cartons of regular Tropicana stuff. Nevertheless they offered more substance for a price. Not all stores carry it anymore...most consumers went for the cheaper stuff.

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
12-11-2009, 02:01 PM
i get my anti-oxidants from all the tea i drink.

i don't think i've ever had a granola bar. i've had cereal bars, but only the ones that have bad stuff in that makes them taste nice.

Mumm Ra
12-11-2009, 04:39 PM
been drinking a lot of hot tea lately, trying to find the best stuff cuz I don't know my teas like that
i need to ask the chinese restaurant around the way what kinda tea they use so I can buy that shit
granola bars are delicious

V4D3R
12-11-2009, 07:00 PM
^jasmine tea - white tea - chai black tea

PALEFORCE
12-11-2009, 08:20 PM
yerba mate is hands down the best

and eleotin tea

Uncle Steezo
12-11-2009, 08:49 PM
profit based economics mandate that companies cut corners in production to increase or maintain profit.

making REAL health food is expensive and cannot compete with the bullshit "food".

people need to watch that KING KORN vid
it breaks down the way that a HUGE % of the american diet is corn... GM corn... GM nutrient deficient corn.

corn syrup is poison.
corn based foodstuffs has very little nutritional value.
corn oil is poison or has zero value depending on the producer
corn fed livestock is basically cows raised on cardboard. livestock isn't even supposed to be eating corn anyway.

king corn-

http://www.livevideo.com/video/Drachnid/7ED1177127A54A15B0FB0A93106DEDE1/king-corn-1-4.aspx
(http://www.livevideo.com/video/Drachnid/7ED1177127A54A15B0FB0A93106DEDE1/king-corn-1-4.aspx)
http://www.livevideo.com/video/Drachnid/2BF40DC291874453B0CDD84B7EF5BF3C/king-corn-2-4.aspx

http://www.livevideo.com/video/Drachnid/91D5C8A8E55347A49444A5EB70C944CF/king-corn-3-4.aspx

http://www.livevideo.com/video/Drachnid/12D885375FDC4DBFBE891F4D03FC7D55/king-corn-4-4.aspx

PALEFORCE
12-11-2009, 08:55 PM
plus citric acid
which is in everything

the same principles run the pharmecuetical industry

profit based publicaly traded companies companies who have a LEGAL OBLIGATION to increase shareholder profits
if they actually cured disease ... they would be bankrupt
conflict of interest?

Prolifical ENG
12-11-2009, 08:59 PM
making REAL health food is expensive and cannot compete with the bullshit "food".

Its true. even when you get something thats REAL and pay the money for real stuff, you have to sink sooner or later on something else to balance your finances on your total food bill or else your food bill would be bigger than your rent or mortgage payments. There will always be the small market for the health food. It starts with the natural resource cost to make the health food.

PALEFORCE
12-11-2009, 09:02 PM
but if u keep doing your best and people continue to buy real food the prices will drop.

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
12-12-2009, 09:31 PM
^jasmine tea - white tea - chai black tea

jasmin is nice, i prefer it to green any day.

normal 'builders tea' has antioxidants, i don't see any harm in drinking regular tea.

Mumm Ra
12-13-2009, 05:25 AM
yeah jasmine tea is what ive been looking for - i just bought some cheap shit the other day but its the stuff most chinese restaurants use i think.
it's green jasmine tea actually, the only kind of jasmine i saw on the shelf, dunno if there's more