PDA

View Full Version : "Come Clean" vs. "Time's Up"

claaa7
12-19-2009, 05:19 AM
two of the illest and hardest hip-hop joints ever made about the art of crushing sucker MC's into dust. both released on the respective classic debut album in 1994 from two artists that would rise to a respected underground fame, much based on these 2 joints. Both these songs are shock-filled with nothing but quotables and crazy punchlines and the production by DJ Premier and Buckwild respectively is just as timeless as the lyrical parts. what's your choice here?

JERU THE DAMAJA - "COME CLEAN"
2B5dOCSBBEI

OC - "TIME'S UP"
RzyaaMUCpWs

ALCATRAZ
12-19-2009, 05:26 AM
damn, right when i saw the title i knew i'd hate myself for picking either, because both are timeless gems

with that being said, "time's up" reigns supreme

ALCATRAZ
12-19-2009, 05:28 AM
which one u pick threadstarter?

UncontrolledSubstans
12-19-2009, 05:29 AM
Both are two of the best songs ever been made but damn... Jeru is the dopest dude that ever touched a mic. My vote goes to "Come Clean".

Suga Duga
12-19-2009, 05:32 AM
come clean lacks the minerals and vitamins...

Afficial_Nastee
12-19-2009, 05:43 AM
Time's Up without a doubt , that track defines grimeness and rawness then add those well crafted lyrics from O.C. and you get an ill made track!

claaa7
12-19-2009, 05:53 AM
damn, right when i saw the title i knew i'd hate myself for picking either, because both are timeless gems

with that being said, "time's up" reigns supreme

it's a tough fucking question, both are hip-hop music at it's absolute finest. production-wise i think they're equal but lyrically OC gets the nod so "Time's Up" is my choice!

Shogah
12-19-2009, 10:28 AM
damn its so hard to choose. I voted time's up, but the production on come clean is on next level.

That bells are crazy and they just add more to whole jeru's mysterious prophetic persona.

Time's up is straight in the face song, opening lines saying it the best

you lack the minerals and vitamins.

THE MASON
12-19-2009, 11:54 AM
MY vote goes to Come Clean, Sun Rises is one of my all time favourite albums. Jeru is a stand out emcee, nobody came with that type of style. pure dopeness.

but OC is a legend. and that track bangs out. tough choice but vote goes to jeru

Tommy
12-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Such a hard choice as both songs are pretty much hip hop perfection. You can't really compare the songs' principles as they're pretty much talking about the same thing, and the production on both songs are grimy as fuck.

It's a difficult choice but I'm going with Time's Up.

fatboybrandon
12-19-2009, 01:34 PM
damn its so hard to choose. I voted time's up, but the production on come clean is on next level.

That bells are crazy and they just add more to whole jeru's mysterious prophetic persona.

Time's up is straight in the face song, opening lines saying it the best

you lack the minerals and vitamins.

When choosing I was kinda torn between the originality of both artists' music and their character like Shoguh, that is part of what I think I defines each of them in these landmark songs of their careers. This is one of the best topics of hip hop discussion I've come across online in a long time.

I pick Come Clean, for the thought-provoking, cinematic qualities I get from the music and lyrics combined, the classic unheard of water drops by Premier, Jeru's dark writing and vivid scenes of torture. These are strong elements in the listening experience I like to get out of many form of music, especially hip hop.

I've got a video of Jeru introducing the video for Come Clean on Rap City in '94 before the single dropped, he's on a basketball court outside showing the 12" vinyl to viewers, I uploaded it to zshare if you'd like to check it out: http://www.zshare.net/video/70101260bcc51fb0/

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/6024/jeru.png

MY vote goes to Come Clean, Sun Rises is one of my all time favourite albums. Jeru is a stand out emcee, nobody came with that type of style. pure dopeness.

but OC is a legend. and that track bangs out. tough choice but vote goes to jeru

^I feel the same

angry!
12-19-2009, 01:46 PM
im not even gonna vote because both these tracks define a certain time period and feeling in hip hop music!!!!

the origins of the "come clean" sample used to have niggas on the block playing the guessing game!!!!! preem sampling water dripping from a faucet, i remember those talks like yesterday!!!!! those talks dont happen as much anymore because the consumer has dumbed down just like the music!!!!!!

and o.c. dropping one of the most important sucker emcee records in hip hop history!!!!! both tracks will maintain relevancy until the sun goes out!!!!! its never too early or too late to call out a nigga with suspect mic skills!!!!!!!

Afficial_Nastee
12-19-2009, 02:16 PM
those talks dont happen as much anymore because the consumer has dumbed down just like the music!!!!!!

Word the fuck up

Osi
12-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Time's Up by a hair, both are undeniable classics

Poetic Wun
12-19-2009, 10:14 PM
times up.

crds
12-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Wow, this was hard as hell as they are both classic and timeless real Hip Hop tracks, I got a chill down my spine the first time I heard "Come Clean", but my jaw dropped when I first heard those horns and OC's flow on "Time's Up...so yeah I chose "Time's Up".

oDoUoSoKo
12-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Brooklyn Took it...damn OC is frok BK too..eloels, well i meant J.